Forged In Fire The Vulcan Pre-Order Is Here.

154 replies to this topic

#41 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 01 May 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Have to remember that they are modeling for MW5 and BT now. We might get a few mechs from now til December that are a bit odd or break the mould. I personally always liked the Clint, but it's not flush for extra models(to fill out a mech pack). I would love to have them model in the hatchetman and axeman. They already put fake axes in Solaris, it would be nice to have for BT.

While I wouldn't mind a axeman or hatchetman, the clint does have enough models to offer for a mech pack.

3T (base) Ballistic/2 energy jj cap.
3R 1 Ballistic/1 Energy
3U 3 energy/ DHS,(Have to dig out the records to see if it was JJ capable)
4t 2 ballistic/1 energy
5U 4 energy/ endo

Now, if these aren't enough hardpoints they could add one or two, or delve into something like the clint IIC build with 5 energy/ECM capable.

or they could just inflate them like they did with the vulcan(+1 ballistic +1 energy in the base model)

Sry, just one of my favorite mechs of the era.

#42 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

I mean its cool that they're making more iconic mechs, but from a mechanics standpoint, I'm not seeing a role for it that a cicada or assassin wouldn't already have filled and probably better judging from the mount locations in the art.

#43 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

Another mediocre 40 ton piece of crap you pay for for one event and never use again.. pass..

#44 Bownd

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Sorry PGI..I'll have to skip this one

#45 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#46 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostThroe, on 01 May 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

Ok, but can you please stop trying to sell us 'Mechs that have counter-intuitive upgrades pre-applied?

No one in their right mind would upgrade to FF armor before upgrading to Endosteel internals. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, seeing as how at least some of these Variants have Standard Engines, and some have eXtra Light Engines, would it not make sense for at least one to have a Light Engine as well?

Those are canon configurations (except the hero), plain and simple. They are rarely optimal, even in TT games.

Also, light engines on a 40t Mech are not exactly great, to put it mildly.

Edited by FLG 01, 01 May 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#47 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

Ok, but can you please stop trying to sell us 'Mechs that have counter-intuitive upgrades pre-applied?

No one in their right mind would upgrade to FF armor before upgrading to Endosteel internals. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, seeing as how at least some of these Variants have Standard Engines, and some have eXtra Light Engines, would it not make sense for at least one to have a Light Engine as well?

Read yourself some Sarna mate, then stop asking questions that have already been answered...

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Makes me wish this came out a while ago so it'd be in the Battletech PC game.

Here... it just reminds me that 20 dollars is too much for a 40 ton mech. Considering that you can get 3 100 ton mechs for 20 dollars, it doesn't make a lot of sense for 3 40 ton mechs to be 20 dollars, when 3 35 ton mechs can be acquired for 15 dollars.. The amount of time to net the cbills to buy and fully outfit three 35 ton mechs is reasonably higher than the time needed to do so for three 40 ton mechs. And both pale in comparison for three 100 ton mechs.

I'll certainly do my best to enjoy it in game once it comes out, though while I love Assassins in Battletech... here they're just woefully under equipped against double+ armor/structure and alpha warrior laser vomit.

#49 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

I like the design for the most part. The head looks way to similar to the Night Gyr but otherwise its a good look. Anemic and lanky but it stands out well against the rest of the roster, which is mostly just a bunch of rectangles with bumps on the edges. I remember that "feminine mech designs" thread from the other day which people overreacted to negatively and this would actually have been a pretty good answer to it in my opinion. Its a real oddball compared to most of the other designs that Alex has put out but in a good way.

Those hardpoints tank the quirky appeal, though. The majority are way too low, almost as if they assembled the torso of a Blackjack upside down. Wouldn't be too bad if there were plenty of them but it doesn't have more than the Cicada does.The Cicada will probably be shorter with hardpoints at the same height as most of the Vulcan's hardpoints with a higher engine cap and the Assassin will just outmatch it by carrying missiles so I don't see what the Vulcan has going for it against the other 40-ton IS mechs.. No ECM at all and only MASC on one of them. An extreme torso twist with those amount of hardpoints and that engine cap would actually pretty appealing to me and it seems like it would jive with its canonical role as an anti-infantry and anti-vehicle mech. I doubt we're going to get something like that though.

#50 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

The default builds have always been canonical (or made up in the light of trying to be kinda similar to canonical) to the Battletech universe.

If repair and rearm was still a thing, everyone in their right mind would upgrade to FF before endo, considering that endo repairs are between 3 and 5 times as much cost as ferro repairs, assuming you could even get your hands on endo (which considering there are 8 facilities in all of the Inner Sphere that produces it, with some factions not even having access to it... pretty much nobody could get it, not even the royalty of House Davion and House Steiner for another 10 years. Sure, Mariks have it, but you might notice there's almost no endo-stock canon mechs that don't have an "M" designation because if you weren't Marik or Comstar, you basically didn't have access to endo as the IS, and even the Clans have it very sparringly, and they had to resort to second line Battlemechs as supply lines for endo steel from Strana Mechty wore thin and their Timber Wolves thinned out due to being unable to replace their endo-steel structure.).

#51 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Special variant seems to be very happy heh.

#52 Dran Dragore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

Aaaaaaaah. PGI. .... Take my money and be silent! Hope this Thing gets some Flamer and MG Quirks that are worth it. And no, 20% Fire Rate for MGs are not enough for just 3 Hardpoints of the Prime Chassis.

#53 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

I'm actually fine with the new IS mechs being introduced into MWO since they might make it into Mechwarrior 5.

When it comes to the IS Assault category, these mechs would be viable for Mechwarrior 5:

Thug - Despite my initial gripes about the Thug being similar to the Awesome, I can see this mech being in Mechwarrior 5. After all, the Thug was also in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries along with the Awesome and Hatamoto-Chi. However, its hardpoints need to be different in order to stand out from the Awesome in MWO.

Charger - If you overlook the 1A1 variant, it does have good variants that turn it into a true assault mech.

Hatamoto Chi - It's a House Kurita icon that was derived from both the Charger and the Thug. This variant has an ECM variant, Ballistic Variant, and a Jumper Variant. This mech was produced during the War of 3039 and I can see this mech coming in Mechwarrior 5 during a contract to that war.

#54 BMKA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 105 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChile

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Nop, thx you :D

#55 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Well thats unexpected.

Posted Image

#56 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 01 May 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Well thats unexpected.

Posted Image

not that unexpected, remember PGI and HBS have an art sharing agreement. which means any mechs appropriate for the time periods in Btech that show up here... also show up there eventually.

#57 kirovysk

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

where is my Argus????

#58 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

looks like an anorexic Night Gyr

#59 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostBad_Wolf, on 01 May 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

You gave the Clans back their tonnage how about a good mech to make up for it. The IS is getting there butts kicked right now. Do you have something against the Inner sphere or what? Cant have a good IS mech with out getting it nerfed. The Assassin 21, Warhammer. Both doing good against the clans and then Boom nerf them can't have that. Waiting for the Annihilator nerf to come. Its doing to well against the Clans can't have that.
PGI is clan biased and they dont wanna upset their whiney clan fanbase

#60 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 01 May 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Well thats unexpected.

Posted Image

Its a Mech , Jim , but not as we know it .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users