#1 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:54 AM

From their AMA the other day.

"New mechs, including possible clan DLC may be coming but he is under NDA. 'We have plans' is all he could say. If there is a clan DLC the Stone Rhino will be included. Most of the new content needs to be discussed first at the roadmap meeting."

Soooo Stone Rhino when?

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

You know the Stone Rhino is one of the coolest looking mechs in Battletech however it would suck horribly in MWO. It will be as wide as a Fafnir but won't have the armor quirks of the Fafnir because its Clan tech and most of its weapons are low mounted. Also because it is Clan tech, it will have the mobility profile of beached whale. It is a battlemech though so at least it will have that going for it.

#3 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostCK16, on 04 May 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

Soooo Stone Rhino when?

Some time between "now" and "BattleTech Clan DLC", presumably.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:15 AM

View PostKanil, on 04 May 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

Some time between "now" and "BattleTech Clan DLC", presumably.

lol.

Simple logic is best logic.

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

Battletech Clan DLC? Hopefully not for a long, long time. For that matter, the Inner Sphere can go hang as well. I'd rather HBS stay in the Periphery for a while, since apart from MW3's expansion every other bloody PC game is focused on either the IS or Clams. Maybe bring in the Marian Hegemony next?

#6 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 04 May 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

Maybe bring in the Marian Hegemony next?

Dark Age, for once. Or Jihad.

But Clans are way too popular to ignore, so I guess it's either 4th Succession War or straight to the Clan Invasion.

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

"New mechs, including possible clan DLC may be coming but he is under NDA. 'We have plans' is all he could say. If there is a clan DLC the Stone Rhino will be included. Most of the new content needs to be discussed first at the roadmap meeting."

Soooo Stone Rhino when?

SWEEEEEEEEEET! My one true Clan love!

#8 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

Jihad would be awesome, no game has gone there yet. And Dark Ages too!

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostStridercal, on 04 May 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Jihad would be awesome....

Now that is four words I never thought I'd hear used together in the same sentence....

Sadly though, they have done at least one jihad era game, it was called mechassault 2... Though I'm not sure if the third game that was on a hand held Gameboy was in the same era...

#10 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 04 May 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Now that is four words I never thought I'd hear used together in the same sentence....

Sadly though, they have done at least one jihad era game, it was called mechassault 2... Though I'm not sure if the third game that was on a hand held Gameboy was in the same era...

The MechAssault games don't count, as the only thing they shared with Battletech was the idea that giant robots are kinda sorta cool.

Seriously. Floating power ups? Lava guns?!? Piss off!

#11 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

I want a lava gun.

#12 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

View PostStridercal, on 04 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

The MechAssault games don't count, as the only thing they shared with Battletech was the idea that giant robots are kinda sorta cool.

I'm the first to admit, the writing for those games was less than good... But if they hadn't tried to be part of the IP and had been their own new IP, I think they would've been a lot better.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Why people think an oversized bloated looking marauder (stone rhino) looks good, just go with marauder II.
Cough cough Bane.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostLuminis, on 04 May 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Dark Age, for once. Or Jihad.

But Clans are way too popular to ignore, so I guess it's either 4th Succession War or straight to the Clan Invasion.

MY hope is HBS will do what they did with Shadowrun, that is 3 releases of the game.

So I hope:
1) Merc campaign
2) 4th succession war
3) Clan invasion

#15 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 04 May 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Why people think an oversized bloated looking marauder (stone rhino) looks good, just go with marauder II.
Cough cough Bane.

Baneposting status: Approved.

Posted Image

Seriously though, the Stone Rhino would be fun in a Fafnir sorta way.

#16 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

Soooo Stone Rhino when?
**** yeah!

View PostJackalBeast, on 04 May 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Cough cough Bane.
blasphemous!

#17 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostStridercal, on 04 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Complaining about floating power ups is kind of a moot point given the genre of the game.
It's like complaining about the "ridiculous nature" of mechs taking turns in Battletech.

Lava guns are canon. Liao makes them, they're simply called differently. Posted Image
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Plasma_Rifle

#18 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 04 May 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

MY hope is HBS will do what they did with Shadowrun, that is 3 releases of the game.

So I hope:
1) Merc campaign
2) 4th succession war
3) Clan invasion

Or, instead of doing the same thing for the umpteenth time, they could dial back to the Amaris Coup and dive into Kerensky's campaign against the Rim Worlds Republic- nobody's done a videogame set in that era before, and it would certainly have mass appeal. Plus, the Clammers get a cookie for being able to possibly see their Great Father in action. Win/win.

Another idea- the First or the Second Succession War. Instead of recovering tech as the campaign progresses, and ratcheting up difficulty for the endgame by spamming assault 'Mechs like they grow on trees, have the tech level decrease as the warring powers beat each other into dust. Rather than having to balance an abundance of endgame resources with tonnage and weight of numbers, have the difficulty come from increasing resource scarcity instead. There's a pitch for an interesting inversion of the vertical progression formula every other BT-based videogame ever has used!

If Clans absolutely have to be a thing, then set their DLC in one of the Clan-on-Clan conflicts that preceded the Invasion. The re-conquest of the Pentagon Worlds, or the Wolverine Annihilation... anything prior to Operation Revival sidesteps most if not all of the inevitable balance issues, as well as delving into another part of the lore that videogames haven't touched yet.

Seriously, the Clan Invasion is tired. Yes, it is a popular era, in no small part because many fan-favorite 'Mechs come into play. However, part of that era's popularity is also in the perception that it's the core of the entire setting- which comes from the sheer number of releases set during and immediately after it. It's long past time for something different. Battletech has an enormous mass of lore, and it's a shame that so much of it gets overlooked every time the franchise deigns to visit the PC.

#19 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 04 May 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

Or, instead of doing the same thing for the umpteenth time, they could dial back to the Amaris Coup and dive into Kerensky's campaign against the Rim Worlds Republic- nobody's done a videogame set in that era before, and it would certainly have mass appeal. Plus, the Clammers get a cookie for being able to possibly see their Great Father in action. Win/win.

Another idea- the First or the Second Succession War. Instead of recovering tech as the campaign progresses, and ratcheting up difficulty for the endgame by spamming assault 'Mechs like they grow on trees, have the tech level decrease as the warring powers beat each other into dust. Rather than having to balance an abundance of endgame resources with tonnage and weight of numbers, have the difficulty come from increasing resource scarcity instead. There's a pitch for an interesting inversion of the vertical progression formula every other BT-based videogame ever has used!

Reverse progression is not really popular or workable as a 'game' though. General population wants 'progression', not losing what they have.

And really, anything before timeline 3025 is afterthought for BT... and regrettably not-so interesting due to this reverse progression issue. You don't see movies or games that have background where everything is deteriorating, well, except in horror games.

Jihad is so much better, despite the hate. Literally MechAssault is the only game that covered this period, and we need a bit... more proper game to cover it well. I really want to fight against Word of Blake mechs.

Edit : And oh, this 'reverse progression' is also the reason why Jihad and Dark Age are so hated. Suddenly all good characters are dead? Mechs are rare again? Factories destroyed? Losing techs?

As we all see, this really did not work well, and we are now pretty much stuck at Civil War period.

Edited by The Lighthouse, 04 May 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#20 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 04 May 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

As we all see, this really did not work well, and we are now pretty much stuck at Civil War period.

Not least of all because of the shared assets with MWO.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users