Matchmaking Is Horrible

161 replies to this topic

#141 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,832 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

match making is nonexistent. the valves are always open.

#142 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

I give the matchmaker fits any time i queue up. With my Warhammer 6R i have a ~340 match score. With some other mechs i could be at the ~250 range. Depending on alcohol volume, mood and company i can play 98th percentile or 70th.

#143 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostBWS2K, on 15 March 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Unless things have changed significantly in the last year when I stopped playing, there's simply no way to measure player skill accurately. That's the first factor. Secondly, the Tier System doesn't represent anything of value - certainly not skill alone - that would be of much use to match players by... and that's what the MM uses anyway because it has to use something.

Ex)

Player A is a stellar pilot. Works with the team, communicates, pilots well, strategizes, etc. Makes it to Tier 1 - rightfully so - and then gets a Twitch partnership. Now it's about doing things that viewers want to see, like silly loadouts and challenges. There's no reason to start a new account, so now there's a Tier 1 pilot in Tier 1 doing Tier 5 things for fun. This is allowed.

Player B is a terrible pilot. Never uses chat, goes off solo, etc. BUT only pilots big stompy 'mechs like Assaults with Meta Builds and does tons of damage (but doesn't bother to focus fire and secure kills) and and plays lots of hours a day. Eventually Player B Tiers up to Tier 2 because the Tier System heavily favors damage dealt over anything else. This is allowed.

Player C is a decent pilot and loves to play Lights - one in particular, in which this pilot excels. Communicates with the team and so on but also doesn't mind self-sacrifice via squirreling or distraction either. This 'mech isn't capable of putting out more than, say 225 damage reliably because of ammo constraints and armor but that's a pretty consistent number. This pilot eventually Tiers up to Tier 3 where s/he plateaus. This is allowed.

Player D only plays events because it's actually an alternate account for a Tier 1 pro whose name everyone knows. Being an alternate account infrequently played, however, this account is only Tier 3, so we have a Tier 1 pilot in Tier 3. This is allowed.

With global player population low, or during off-peak hours, all four pilots could be on the same team in a QuickPlay match. Things may have changed (I know they did a re-balance of score factors but it still favored Damage Dealt over anything else) and I might be completely wrong. Here's a video I made a while back:

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Funny thing is player A could pull off those builds/ T5 things and still perform better then 80 to 90% of the player base while being helpful to the team.

#144 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostShadowomega1, on 15 March 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

Funny thing is player A could pull off those builds/ T5 things and still perform better then 80 to 90% of the player base while being helpful to the team.

Oh, I agree - could being the operative word. If the audience wants to see something silly though... lol

#145 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

Qp is infuriating, we all know it.
Now please focus on theorycrafting on things that never will be in this game.

Edited by Sergeant Destroy, 15 March 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#146 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:34 AM

View PostExilyth, on 12 May 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Is there any way to get PSR fixed without forming an angry mob w/torches and pitchforks?

Random matchmaking.

Damn the angry mob w/torches and pitchforks.

View Post0Jiggs0, on 12 May 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Would the players who drop to lower tiers complain to Russ about the new system being unfair? Absolutely.

Why would making intentional diving easier cause people to complain? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 March 2019 - 05:37 AM.

#147 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 22 May 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

NO!

I am in the top 3 of adamage delers in 95% of my matches. no matter what mech i pilot. driving mediums, i have the highest chance to be top damage dealer in any soloQ game.

Anecdote vs. Statistical Reality

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 22 May 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I've played with some colonies of anaerobic bacteria, since I'm fairly sure any animal and most plants could do better than 20 damage in a MCII-B just by lying on the keyboard.

Video or it did not happen. Posted Image

#148 UMPA Viper

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 March 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

Coming from a guy that usually is the last one alive and usually the one with least damage on his team at the same time I think I kinda know the reason why group queue matchmaking is so horrible for you.

The only difference between a player with a unit tag and a player without a unit tag is that the latter has by far more chances to happen to be a complete newb. Thats why it seems that people with tags are more 'experienced' overall.

LOL , clearly you have me mistaken for someone else. Im usually in the top 80% on my team , and thats with a flea ! Speak not what you know nothing of my good sir and enjoy your day.

Edited by UMPA Viper, 20 March 2019 - 10:54 AM.

#149 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Except that shafts Lights and Medium pilots.

After complaining about VGLs endlessly since their release, they are now the one 'Mech I do well in. I suppose that doesn't count as "Mediums" but I am at the point where my other classes actually appear to be dragging my Medium score down. VGL for life baby.

Edit: I am a God damn dirty liar. My medium w/l is actually lower than my regular average. DOWN WITH THE VAPOR EAGLE.

Edited by RickySpanish, 20 March 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#150 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostUMPA Viper, on 20 March 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

LOL , clearly you have me mistaken for someone else. Im usually in the top 80% on my team , and thats with a flea ! Speak not what you know nothing of my good sir and enjoy your day.

Bullsh*t harder ...

All-time
https://leaderboard....0APhoenixFire55
Posted Image
Last season
https://leaderboard....ire55&f=31&l=31
Posted Image
So it seems you are a truly rare breed. A guy who actually becomes WORSE the more he plays the game ... lol

#151 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 March 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

Bullsh*t harder ...

All-time
https://leaderboard....0APhoenixFire55
Posted Image
Last season
https://leaderboard....8;f=31&l=31
Posted Image
So it seems you are a truly rare breed. A guy who actually becomes WORSE the more he plays the game ... lol

Jarl's List ought to have a disclaimer somewhere due to the number of Egos it has ruined. RIP.

#152 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostUMPA Viper, on 20 March 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Gotta love how you edited your post after you realized how dumb your original was ... lol

#153 UMPA Viper

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 14 March 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

1. This is a horrible necro.
2. There's no such thing in GQ "matchmaking". Whatever you think you have tested and found out, you're wrong.

Oh , im very sorry , and your a expert on this how again ??? hmmmm . . . . . Please go into detail on the facts that you base your statement on.Posted Image

#154 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

There isn't enough population in GQ for tiers to be used as a basis for matchmaking. It's pretty much "open valves" all the time. It's pretty common knowledge dude.

#155 pjnt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDetention Block 23, Death Star

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

The games are finishing faster - fact. Why? because more stomps. The pilots for the most part have not changed, so what has, the MM: For what ever reason PGI has either intentionally or unintentionally ended up with most games finishing within 5 minutes and IMO, it is not as good as it used to be.

#156 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Pjnt from what I have seen there has been an increase in pilots I wouldn't allow near a bicycle with training wheels on it; Pilots never improving in skill or never willing to improve. If they want to keep playing like that then they should create a new tier just for them, and their only ever matched along side of others in that tier. End of the match will be the same, they will get seal clubbed but at least not dropped along side of pilots that put 5 times more effort into a match then them.

#157 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

I'm surprised MWO still goes on given the commonly disastrous experience it gives good, average or bad players. PGI tries to "fix", "improve" or "balance" the game each patch. In reality they ruin further what's already flawed.

After all these years a fair match-maker is something we will never see. Balanced teams might happen, but are usually rare, most of the time one group is already set to win and the other to lose, even before the match starts.

#158 UMPA Viper

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 20 March 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Jarl's List ought to have a disclaimer somewhere due to the number of Egos it has ruined. RIP.

Wow , 3.43 k/d aye. Wonder what "add-on" your using , lol. Sent ya a friends request , not willing to accept aye ,, lol. You do realize this is a game right ? You post your stat sheet up on the wall in your bedroom of your parents house or something ?

You sir are ignored now , lol. Post away.

#159 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostUMPA Viper, on 21 March 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Wow , 3.43 k/d aye. Wonder what "add-on" your using , lol. Sent ya a friends request , not willing to accept aye ,, lol. You do realize this is a game right ? You post your stat sheet up on the wall in your bedroom of your parents house or something ?

You sir are ignored now , lol. Post away.

You can't even aim on the forum to hit a proper quote button to quote a post of a person you are talking to ... lol

#160 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostVariant1, on 15 March 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Stomps shouldnt happen if the matchmaker pairs up even teams, thats going to be hard but manageable. it is a known fact that mm does not distribute player skill and average match score evenly which results in stomps. I would link you to the thread that has the mathematics but id have to search for it a long time.......

They shouldn't - but they do.

They always will.

You can have two of the best teams in the game go at it. Some games will be a 8-0, some will be a 8-6. There is no - math - that will say what's going to happen in the real world there all things being equal because it is never equal.

Mechs / weapons, map choice, game mode. All a pile of varying factors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users