Matchmaking Is Horrible

161 replies to this topic

#21 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:37 PM

Not quite sure MM is turned on anymore TBH. Last night I dropped with a dude who just started playing the game 2 hours prior...so yeah T5 was grouped in T1,2 folks.

#22 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Except that shafts Lights and Medium pilots.

NO!

I am in the top 3 of adamage delers in 95% of my matches. no matter what mech i pilot. driving mediums, i have the highest chance to be top damage dealer in any soloQ game.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 22 May 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

NO!

I am in the top 3 of adamage delers in 95% of my matches. no matter what mech i pilot. driving mediums, i have the highest chance to be top damage dealer in any soloQ game.

What is true for you might not be true for others. If you look at Jarl's list, players who play a lot of Lights, and Mediums tend to score lower in that season compared to when they were chiefly driving Heavies, or Assaults, in general. Which is why Heavy queue is the most populous.

#24 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:20 AM

Purely subjective, but it feels far better than in the past, or maybe i just lucked out. There are still landslide victories, but most matches i'm in end with a score of about 12/8 (or 8/12, or something like that), meaning it's pretty fun atm. Posted Image

#25 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

The only criteria MM has now is to ask: "Is the player breathing?" We're all lumped into the same player pool pot.

#26 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 22 May 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

NO!

You know your team is special (as is the opponent's) when you do top damage and kills (KMDD as well) in a Cicada.

Spectating is an amazing experience. The number of players that simply can't aim and shoot is pretty amazing. Especially when both mechs are standing still. If the opposing pilot doesn't hit, chances are good that the pilot you're spectating will have a hard time hitting his target as well. I can almost feel the jubilation when he hits...something.

Edited by Zibmo, 22 May 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#27 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 May 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

Except that shafts Lights and Medium pilots.

Considering the many direct and indirect nerfs PGI surly thinks lights are OP. So, most likely lights would get a penalty on the score ;)

#28 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostDuncan Aravain, on 22 May 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

The only criteria MM has now is to ask: "Is the player breathing?" We're all lumped into the same player pool pot.

That's questionable. I'm pretty sure I've played with some colonies of anaerobic bacteria, since I'm fairly sure any animal and most plants could do better than 20 damage in a MCII-B just by lying on the keyboard. Not to mention the usual 1-5 discos & AFKs every match.

#29 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

The game population has reached the point where it is no longer viable (IMO) to have separate pools for 'new players here, intermediate players here, veteran players here'. Especially with Solaris having an unwieldy 7 divisions to further split players.

The best we can do now is to have an MM that puts a roughly-comparable mix of new/experienced/meta mechs and pilots on each team.

PGI needs to man up and program an actual decent matchmaker that can work across Solaris, QP and FP.

Since this is BattleTech/MechWarrior, that means... Battle Value! (YAY!). Except Battle Value was always broken anyway. (BOO!) So instead we make a new and improved 'Match Value' metric.

Match Value is based on the 'Mech and modified by pilot stats (PSR or performance). A simplified version would be:

Base Mech value: the average Match Score of that mech for that pilot, defaults to players average Match Score if < 10 matches
Mechlab modifier: the alpha strike potential of the mech build + top mech speed

Pilot modifier: Tier 5 - 0.7 Tier 4 - 0.9 Tier 3 - 1.1 Tier 2 - 1.3 Tier 1 - 1.5

Match Value = (Base Mech Value + Mechlab Modifier) * Pilot Modifier

This involves very minimal calculation. The 'Mechlab' value is saved with the mech when you 'save' in the Mechlab. The average match score is also calculated and saved on the mech when any match ends.

Now you can eliminate Solaris divisions completely (or break it down to 2-3), use any weight class, base a Match Value on saved Drop Decks, toss in the Pilot Modifier on the fly (which could include more than current tier but probably doesn't need to). Pull any number of people from the waiting queue and simply sort them so the Match Value on both sides is roughly equal. It doesn't have to be too fussy - up to a 56/44 unequal weighting would still give better matches than we currently get, and would solve a pile of FP and Solaris issues at the same time.

FP should also add a modifier for group sizes. The Match Value of the drop group would be added together and multiplied by 1.1 (3-5 man ), 1.25 (6-8 man) or 1.4 (9-12 man).

Of course, PGI won't do anything of the sort. Because player ideas obviously suck, and they weren't already planning to do it anyway.

Edited by MadBadger, 22 May 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#30 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

I was just piloting my EXE with laser vomit in some quickplay. Was SHOCKED to see an enemy EXE, im usually the only one in every match.

Poor guy was still stock green, and he had an LBX20, ATM12, and a ERML.

I was impressed that he managed like 200 damage.

There is no matchmaking in MWO.

#31 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

A bit more than a month ago, matchmaking was kind of ok-ish. You had one or two people who didn't know the basics and just derped along behind the team, ignoring the flanks and not locking targets, but usually your team was fine because such players would just get dragged along and could fire at the targets other players were spotting/firing at.

Nowadays the amount of such players is much higher (and the new breed seems more prone to shooting teammates in the back), sometimes more than half the team - which makes it near impossible to carry them.

stomps

There's a huge difference between
a match going back and forth until one side starts to get eaten ending in 4-12 or something
and
one side just killing mech after mech the moment contact is made, resulting in 0-12 within less than 1 minute of initial contact.

Map voting, map loading, ready phase, moving out for multiple minutes just to get folded within seconds without seeing any red dorito show up does not make for a good gaming experience. Posted Image

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Stopped playing SQ cause of Solaris ladder climb. Condolences to those teams where I could have been calling for them.

#33 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

There is no real event going on that most haven't completed. So, the 200 of you are chasing each other around and there literally isn't anyone else playing it seems. I dropped in a QP and wow, what a mess.....T1's through T5's and it was a real goat rodeo for sure. We need about 2,000 more pilots so PGI had better have a great Memorial day event coming up or it will be a ghost town......

No one I know cares a crap about S7 and we're all in other games full-time now. You reap what you sow PGI and the chickens have all left the roost ! Wow....what a mess.

#34 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 29 May 2018 - 04:51 AM.
unconstructive, replies removed

#35 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

Yes people need to stop playing en mass or stop buying AAA priced mechpacks en mass then things might change, if that ever happens they'll take notice not before though..

#36 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Matchmaking is this game is horrible, has been horrible and will still be horrible until a something happens.

After all these time, I doubt it ever will.

The miracle has been that this game and its community refuses to disappear though plenty of matches are a disastrous experience for anyone playing this.

You just come back sometimes hoping to get those ones which were rarely a good time.

#37 Mr Steinbrenner

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFreo

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

One question I have is how the hell do some players have 5.0 w/l and 10.00 K/D ratio in QP? It seems impossible to me. Are there literally people that never lose?

#38 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

i personally hate afks and dcd idiots more

like if you can't have a half-decent rig or internet maybe you shouldn't play mwo

#39 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostMr Steinbrenner, on 24 May 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

One question I have is how the hell do some players have 5.0 w/l and 10.00 K/D ratio in QP? It seems impossible to me. Are there literally people that never lose?

Yes

#40 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

its specifically because there is no matchmaker in group queue

you can stack one team with all good players and guarantee that you win most of the time

whereas a functioning matchmaker would put enough good players on the other team that your team should only win about 50% of the time.

but no theres nothing particularly special about players who abuse group queue to pad their stats. which is why solo stats and group stats should be separated out.

Edited by Khobai, 24 May 2018 - 06:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users