Clan Crocodile Tears Wins A Glorious Victory!

81 replies to this topic

#41 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Whining about whining is legitimate when the original whining consistently stands in the way of game balance.

#42 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostMortalcoil, on 14 May 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

facepalm. Yet another forum post that has no idea what they are talking about.

I'm not sure what you're insinuating. Are you making the claim that the cyclops is not a top tier mech? That warhammers are not very-good tier?

#43 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 14 May 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you're insinuating. Are you making the claim that the cyclops is not a top tier mech? That warhammers are not very-good tier?

Are people talking about faction play?? Both of those mechs are slow and boxy targets in quickplay with mediocre armor and mediocre weapons. I only play quickplay though, Im pretty casual. IS mechs arent even threatening.

Edited by LordBraxton, 14 May 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#44 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 14 May 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Are people talking about faction play?? Both of those mechs are slow and boxy targets in quickplay with mediocre armor and mediocre weapons. I only play quickplay though, Im pretty casual. ISJ mechs arent even threatening.

Must be playing a different game if you think 4lb10x or dual hgauss sleipnir isn't one of the best mechs out there right now.

#45 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Are people talking about faction play?? Both of those mechs are slow and boxy targets in quickplay with mediocre armor and mediocre weapons. I only play quickplay though, Im pretty casual. IS mechs arent even threatening.
Huh, what are you piloting?

#46 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Does that opinion stem from a while back, maybe?

Cause it looks like you've been pretty inactive since season 14 or so and I can assure you, turning a corner and running into one of the Assault Mechs the IS can field currently is pretty ******* threating.

Now, don't take this as stat shaming, I'm just asking because, from my impression, IS benefited massively from Civil War tech, so I'd consider it normal if the majority of your experience in that regard stems from some time before that; I can't really follow that train of though otherwise, to be honest.

#47 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, no. The Cyclops is very agile by Assault mech standards with a great payload, and the Warhammer is probably one of the best Heavy mech in the game for non-ECM shenanigans.

#48 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

For reference Cyclops is about the agility level of the Hellbringer but at a slower top speed. Its also super durable in comparison, being a 90 ton quirked up IS assault and all.

#49 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 14 May 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

For reference Cyclops is about the agility level of the Hellbringer but at a slower top speed. Its also super durable in comparison, being a 90 ton quirked up IS assault and all.

And ironically, it's squishy for an IS Assault. Clan Assaults are squishy compared to a squishy IS Assault, if you think about it.

#50 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostLuminis, on 14 May 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

And ironically, it's squishy for an IS Assault. Clan Assaults are squishy compared to a squishy IS Assault, if you think about it.

Clan assaults are generally comparable to IS heavies. Roughneck is 80% of an Annihilator when it comes to durability. Wonder what Clan mechs are 80% of an Annihilator.

#51 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 14 May 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Clan assaults are generally comparable to IS heavies. Roughneck is 80% of an Annihilator when it comes to durability. Wonder what Clan mechs are 80% of an Annihilator.

To be fair, though, if a Roughneck wasn't 80% of an Annihilator, it wouldn't be a very scary Mech.

#52 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostLuminis, on 14 May 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Does that opinion stem from a while back, maybe?

Cause it looks like you've been pretty inactive since season 14 or so and I can assure you, turning a corner and running into one of the Assault Mechs the IS can field currently is pretty ******* threating.

Now, don't take this as stat shaming, I'm just asking because, from my impression, IS benefited massively from Civil War tech, so I'd consider it normal if the majority of your experience in that regard stems from some time before that; I can't really follow that train of though otherwise, to be honest.

You are correct I have been fairly inactive for a long time, but whenever I boot up the game, I hop in a clan heavy, and the game feels exactly like it always has. LFEs and IS UACs seem cool, but not good enough to make me want to play IS. I don't have a cyclops though so I will have to buy one. Warhammer feels slow and fragile to me, I dont see the appeal unless they added big armor quirks recently.

Clan XL alone makes clans the go to pick for me. There are pros and cons to clan and IS weapons, to the point where I would call them equal. But then clan mechs get better engines, upgrades, and heatsinks. No reason to play an IS mech unless it has crazy quirks.

Edited by LordBraxton, 14 May 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#53 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

View PostLuminis, on 14 May 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

To be fair, though, if a Roughneck wasn't 80% of an Annihilator, it wouldn't be a very scary Mech.

With the 5 ultra high mount pods on the 3A it doesn't actually need any armor in general.

#54 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 14 May 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

You are correct I have been fairly inactive for a long time, but whenever I boot up the game, I hop in a clan heavy, and the game feels exactly like it always has.

I know how this is gonna sound, but, y'know, the average level of competition isn't all that high in QP.

I mean, the impending nerf is an issue but if it wasn't for that, I would've told you to get an Annihilator and run that. It's... Well, it's certainly not a Mech you can ignore. Put a remotely competent pilot in and it'll do nasty things. Real nasty things.

There's a reason I do well in it. There's a reason why my WHM-6R and my Anni outperform my Hellbringer consistently. In the case of the Anni, it's because it's tough as nails and slings an alpha round that melts components; it's a turret and it's range is small, but that turret commands a ~300 meter death zone because it doesn't shutdown or melt after dumping 80+ damage into some poor dude once.

The WHM, on the other hand, has a sort of unique hardpoint spread going on. Double heavy ballistics with backup energy is simply something most Clans Mechs can't fit into their torso at that weight bracket - so even though Clan weapons offer more damage, it's actually the Warhammer that's quite damn dangerous, given its combination of DPS and outright damage. I mean, yeah, you can snipe it to death in a HBR, but - opposed to MRBC and the like - you'll find yourself in the medium range skirmish quite often and that thing just shreds squishy Mechs - which included a number of Clan Mechs.

I love my Warhammer Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Luminis, 14 May 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#55 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 14 May 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

With the 5 ultra high mount pods on the 3A it doesn't actually need any armor in general.

Lol, 5 hardpoints. Because IS laser vomit so OP, especially with just 5 guns.

#56 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 14 May 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

Whining about whining is legitimate when the original whining consistently stands in the way of game balance.

Thing is though, most of us aren't whining about clan laser vomit getting nerfed, only the way in which the developer wants to do it. Most of us are advocating for an overall damage reduction, straight up heat increases, cooldown nerfs, etc

GH is not a fun mechanic, but atleast in its current state it has a great level of synergy with the available number of hardpoints on the various clan mechs. I would hate to see what the game would be like without the mechanic or some other limit in place.

I think one thing y'all are forgetting is how much this is going to affect lights and medium mechs, the two most underperforming classes in the game and aside from a few outliers the worst clan mechs in the game. Especially when these nerfs are very narrowly targeted against only a couple of outliers.

#57 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 14 May 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

Lol, 5 hardpoints. Because IS laser vomit so OP, especially with just 5 guns.

Just saying, you take practically no damage due to exposing only like 10% of your mech to get your full alpha off, so in general you don't even use the armor unless you decide to get into a brawl with it when you feel like giving the enemies a chance.

#58 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 14 May 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Just saying, you take practically no damage due to exposing only like 10% of your mech to get your full alpha off, so in general you don't even use the armor unless you decide to get into a brawl with it when you feel like giving the enemies a chance.

Right, like you can do on the Hellbringer AND bring a much higher alpha AND have ECM? Please, the Roughneck is a joke. Maybe before they nerfed the crap out of IS LPL it had a place, but 43 damage is not going to scare anyone. IS laser vomit is garbage.

#59 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 14 May 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

Right, like you can do on the Hellbringer AND bring a much higher alpha AND have ECM? Please, the Roughneck is a joke. Maybe before they nerfed the crap out of IS LPL it had a place, but 43 damage is not going to scare anyone. IS laser vomit is garbage.

Don't have any laser builds on the Hellbringer with a sub 0.75 second duration that work at mid range, so you're open to being shot up by gauss rifles among many other things, which is exactly what I'm saying about the Roughneck being able to take pretty much no return fire.

Edited by Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood, 14 May 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#60 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 13 May 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Actually what's a hard concept for everyone to understand is that it's about bringing the alpha capability of the IS and Clans to a closer level. That seems to be the thing that's hard to understand. Granted if they bring the alpha closer, they should also nerf IS duration to offset things being closer.

It already is. Don't forget that YES, IS weps do less damage, but IS doesn't have to do a lot of damage to kill a clan mech. The damage to kill ratio is really close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users