Matcmaking Is Broken For Faction Play

65 replies to this topic

#41 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

This game has no matchmaking. It picks what it gets first.
And waiting times are way to high. Once players are found, start asap, no more sub menus.

And while the game is running, search players for the next game.
Could be so easy to reduce FP wait times by half - and more would play it.

Edited by Quandoo, 23 May 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#42 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostQuandoo, on 23 May 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

And while the game is running, search players for the next game.

What do you mean search? The players are either in queue, or not. No searching.

Btw Clan has pretty fast drops.

#43 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Herp, that's what happens when you know, you don't defend the objective.

Pro tip, there is no match making in Faction Play. But I guess you didn't bother to read the tool tip where it clearly says that "this game mode is for units and team based gameplay, there is no match making" (or some nonsense) when you opened the FP section.

Considering you didn't even bother to heed that warning, along with the other 11 spuds on your team probably all solo dropping, gave the enemy team an easy win.

#44 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:26 AM

View Postneofightr, on 13 May 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

so basically we had a single unit of 12 in clone linebackers for 3 matches in a row vs a group of 12 solos in each of those matches playing tonight in faction mode.

Interesting. No wonder the mode gets a lot of hate.

CW is meant to be hard mode for TEAMS. Solos and new players should not be there.

#45 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:27 AM

View PostGoatHILL, on 03 June 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

CW is meant to be hard mode for TEAMS. Solos and new players should not be there.

If CW/FP was meant to be hard mode then teams would never be matched against pugs
so we can put that lie and fantasy to bed

there is not anything hard about roll stomping a bunch of seals as some people like to put it

also if it was hard mode you would not be funneling new players
into the mode with offers of free Mech bays (incentivizing)

Edited by Davegt27, 03 June 2018 - 01:47 AM.

#46 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 03 June 2018 - 01:27 AM, said:

If CW/FP was meant to be hard mode then teams would never be matched against pugs

there is not anything hard about roll stomping a bunch of seals as some people like to put it

You mean like MWOWC incentivises new players to get roflstomped by the best players in the game with promises of actual cash money?

Oh, wait. That incentive is there to reward experienced players for pushing themselves to work harder than they do in QP, not reward new players or bad solo players for minimum effort.

If only we had a warning or something....

Oh, wait, we have that too. Just people of ore it because they want bigger rewards for minimum effort. The real difference is that FW doesn't flat out ban pugging, because at least originally people pugged in FW but put the effort to play as a team in.

At this point I would have to lean toward banning pugs in FW. In spite of years, literal years, of clearly defining FW as an environment that requires teamwork to be successful there's still a bunch of stupid people who refuse to play to their team or as a team and then get mad when they lose to people who do. Doesn't take a premade, just teamwork to stomp dedicated bads.

#47 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

Whenever we asked for increasing the skill threshold to drop in FP, for example, Tier 2 and 1 only, seals complained that they don't want to be left out. You should point at those people and not us.

#48 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

Read what I wrote then read what you wrote. I'm saying those seals should learn to play and join a unit before getting into CW.

Google. cognitive dissonance

#49 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Least not forget that PUGs asked for a variety of tools to put them on even footing with groups.

Yet, they cannot seem to use those very tools they asked for. Why?

And as far as lying, it is CLEARLY stated that this Queue is "highly-competitive", "strong emphasis on team cohesion", "specialized mech loadouts", "experienced and organized Mechwarriors", "well stocked and highly customized Mech loadouts", and the "strong recommendation to hone your skills", and " stock of at least four customized and familiar Mechs".

Blame is on the pilots that ignore those clearly pointed out needs to be able to minimally function in this mode. They are lying to themselves into believing they do not need to any one of those things.

I do agree, low hanging fruit is an issue, ie Bays. They must be moved higher in the LP reward tree as to protect seals from getting stomped while Bay farming in a mode they have no place in. Get rid of the easy fruit and you will get rid of some of the seals.

Do that in addition to banning Trial mechs from CW and we will have taken a great leap in protecting illiterate snowflakes from making further bad choices that they cannot make themselves.

#50 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

But for some it is apparently hard mode. Funny as I type this I am in a six man against what looks like possibly...wait Pug just said you were four lol....

So it is hard, really hard even, for those who don't play organised and try to bring sensible builds. It also is apparently hard for some to find groups to drop with. Grouping up and playing together is proven to help overcome deficiencies individual pilots may have.

If you are pugging you are not going to get to experience what 12 mans do. While there are units that duck the better units to stomp pugs, the ones that are known for being good want to run into good competition. There are no bragging rights for stomping pugs.

Pugs and smaller groups combined with sparse population make for an unpleasant experience at times. Sometimes it's a challenge though to carry hard.

There are still good matches to be had though and clearing friends list is a reality for those of us in units that are considered to be decent.

View PostTWIAFU, on 03 June 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Least not forget that PUGs asked for a variety of tools to put them on even footing with groups.

Yet, they cannot seem to use those very tools they asked for. Why?

And as far as lying, it is CLEARLY stated that this Queue is "highly-competitive", "strong emphasis on team cohesion", "specialized mech loadouts", "experienced and organized Mechwarriors", "well stocked and highly customized Mech loadouts", and the "strong recommendation to hone your skills", and " stock of at least four customized and familiar Mechs".

Blame is on the pilots that ignore those clearly pointed out needs to be able to minimally function in this mode. They are lying to themselves into believing they do not need to any one of those things.

I do agree, low hanging fruit is an issue, ie Bays. They must be moved higher in the LP reward tree as to protect seals from getting stomped while Bay farming in a mode they have no place in. Get rid of the easy fruit and you will get rid of some of the seals.

Do that in addition to banning Trial mechs from CW and we will have taken a great leap in protecting illiterate snowflakes from making further bad choices that they cannot make themselves.

Maybe too hardline there?

For those new folks that get stomped a few times trying to get them, a couple may figure out joining a unit or grouping up is the way to go. It's the conclusion I arrived at when new....

I know I am amazed by the terribads that stay and refuse to do anything other than pug, but in a low pop game like this any new blood we can get is a plus.

#51 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostS O L A I S, on 03 June 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Maybe too hardline there?

For those new folks that get stomped a few times trying to get them, a couple may figure out joining a unit or grouping up is the way to go. It's the conclusion I arrived at when new....

I know I am amazed by the terribads that stay and refuse to do anything other than pug, but in a low pop game like this any new blood we can get is a plus.

We all agree something needs to be done. And your the rare case you figured it out, Grouping is key.

Think anyone that has played CW for any amount of time can say Trials do NOT belong in CW at all. Period. End of line.

Everyone that has read the warning knows that Trials in CW is against the everything mentioned in the warning. Why they are allowed in mind blowing...

And for as long as the low hanging fruit is there drawing in people for them alone, I have advocated for them to be moved higher up as rewards. Get it higher in the tree and bay farmer 'problem' will resolve itself.

Time for some hardline stances.

#52 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 04 June 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

We all agree something needs to be done. And your the rare case you figured it out, Grouping is key.

Think anyone that has played CW for any amount of time can say Trials do NOT belong in CW at all. Period. End of line.

Everyone that has read the warning knows that Trials in CW is against the everything mentioned in the warning. Why they are allowed in mind blowing...

And for as long as the low hanging fruit is there drawing in people for them alone, I have advocated for them to be moved higher up as rewards. Get it higher in the tree and bay farmer 'problem' will resolve itself.

Dunno, just got a two day suspension recently for killing a guy refusing to leave drop zone on Hellbore to lurm.

PGI is pretty none hardline and come down on people for doing anything against the worst players and trolls we have in the game. Not convinced anything that is super positive and pro social will be considered.

#53 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostS O L A I S, on 04 June 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

Dunno, just got a two day suspension recently for killing a guy refusing to leave drop zone on Hellbore to lurm.

PGI is pretty none hardline and come down on people for doing anything against the worst players and trolls we have in the game. Not convinced anything that is super positive and pro social will be considered.

TK is not allowed and shouldn't be done even when it's a tater.

I do know what you mean though, rare occasions when we have a spot or two, ran across that type of pilot that is playing QP w/respawn in CW. Limited ways to deal with them but the best way is fill up and let them go get clubbed on their time and not yours.

It is just as bad when you have to fight them, believe me.

#54 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

Oh boy, if i do that i never will stop killing teammates... :D

#55 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:09 AM

Next time just take screenshots (although a video would be even better) as proof - the guy's position and scoreboard - and fire off a mail to moderation@mwomercs.com . Per code of conduct, refusing to meaningfully contribute to the match or refusing to engage in order to preserve own KDR and/or run out the clock are all forms of non-participation and therefore warrant moderator action.

The reason you got hammered was that TKing is a conduct violation no matter how justified you think it would be - two wrongs don't make a right (and trust me, cowardly lurmers aren't as bad as some of the things I've seen before)

#56 S O L A I S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 390 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostHorseman, on 05 June 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

Next time just take screenshots (although a video would be even better) as proof - the guy's position and scoreboard - and fire off a mail to moderation@mwomercs.com . Per code of conduct, refusing to meaningfully contribute to the match or refusing to engage in order to preserve own KDR and/or run out the clock are all forms of non-participation and therefore warrant moderator action.

The reason you got hammered was that TKing is a conduct violation no matter how justified you think it would be - two wrongs don't make a right (and trust me, cowardly lurmers aren't as bad as some of the things I've seen before)

No I am well aware I done goofed.

As far as your assertion about contacting moderation via email, they won't do a darn thing in that situation and they do not consider being a terribad not participating.

#57 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Don't play with randoms, join a group? Esp one that agrees to not LRM.

#58 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 13 May 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

If it's not broken, it doesn't exist in MWO.

FTFY Posted Image

View PostTWIAFU, on 04 June 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Yep, because less accessibility is exactly what this game and the franchise need! Just split the queues the way it is done in QP (and the way it was supposed to be done in CW the first time around) and let the chips fall where they may. If the population is enough, fine. If not, people will have to group up to have matches. In either case premades are isolated from soloists completely.

#59 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 05 June 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

FTFY Posted Image

Yep, because less accessibility is exactly what this game and the franchise need! Just split the queues the way it is done in QP (and the way it was supposed to be done in CW the first time around) and let the chips fall where they may. If the population is enough, fine. If not, people will have to group up to have matches. In either case premades are isolated from soloists completely.

Eh, a full split isn't necessary. There are a lot of 12 man units running around where the average player isn't much better than a pug player, but they generally follow some directions, so they crush absolutely new and clueless players. Simply keeping the newbies from wandering in without a prerequisite number of mechs / matches beforehand would probably reduce the number of new players coming in, but would ensure the players that do come in have a better time because they won't have guys literally dropping for the first time.

#60 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 05 June 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

prerequisite number of mechs / matches beforehand

Not necessarily any indication. I have been playing for quite a while now but I am a very streaky player. I have returned at the time of RGH-SNS give-away and done well for the next few months, but May has been a poop-hole. What does that say about my skill? Not much. Someday PGI mentioned pulling elements of the S7 matchmaker into QP and that seems to be a step in the right direction, but seeing as it cannot be the case in CW there should be some other delimiters. And the number of matches alone says nothing about the quality of these matches. For all you know the guy could have just lurmed his way through and what would keep him from doing that in CW? A valid option might be to just keep the shark tank open and let Sir Darwin sort them out as it is now.

No, I do not play CW Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users