Blood Asp Performance

91 replies to this topic

#61 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:21 AM

Got two Primes set up now, one being the collector's edition. They are set up different, one with two LBX-10s and ERPPCs, the other UAC-10s and lasers. Pretty happy customer for this set.

I don't see the need to change its looks especially if its only going to result in the worst.

Edited by Anjian, 24 May 2018 - 02:22 AM.

#62 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:31 AM

My Opinion:
I feel the Blood Asp is fun. I currently run it with dual gauss, 6 ER mediums, and ECM. Which is a solid build and has been for years. I find it to be a build till the meta is established for it. The only thing I would change about the mech is acceleration/deceleration, but I feel that way about every assault mech. Also maybe a increased torso twist speed because the side torsos are huge.

#63 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostAnjian, on 24 May 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

I don't see the need to change its looks especially if its only going to result in the worst.

To me, it seemed like a done deal. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess, but people need their garage queens.

#64 ilKhan_OrHan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

Most people expect the classic extended ST for the Blood Asp. Would be nice if PGI gave people a toggleable choice like missile doors. Extend or retract it like a light saber using the same key for the missile bay doors or the Kodiak claws. Makes no difference on gameplay except extending the hitbox.

Good mech at least on par with MK II, better customization options in my opinion per being omni. ECM puts this ahead of MK II

#65 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostilKhan_OrHan, on 24 May 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Good mech at least on par with MK II, better customization options in my opinion per being omni. ECM puts this ahead of MK II

1-1 the MCII is superior. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, that is what is. The only thing the BlAsp has going for it over the MCII is the ECM.

Also, liking your own post is the height of hubris.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 24 May 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#66 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

View PostLuminis, on 15 May 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Pretty much? Acceleration, deceleration, turn rate and torso speed are exactly identical, only thing that's inferior is the yaw angle, but it doe get LAAs to compensate.

Posted Image

I really wonder how it feels sluggish compared to a Mech with the exact same agility profile? Posted Image

But anyway, I'd like to remind people that the Deathstrike is one hell of a bar to set for a new Mech's performance. Yes, the Deathstrike does what's probably the best build on the BAS - 6 ERML 2 Gauss - better (ECM aside), but the outlier here is the Deathstrike, not the BAS.

I mean, did y'all really expect PGI to, dunno, quirk the BAS so it one-ups what's arguably (one of) the best Mech in the game in 12v12? Posted Image

...and then whine on the board about TTK and that they need more agility because everyone dies too fast haha

#67 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 24 May 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

1-1 the MCII is superior. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, that is what is. The only thing the BlAsp has going for it over the MCII is the ECM.

Also, liking your own post is the height of hubris.

Don't agree at all. You can claim it is irrelevant all day long but the reality is that while the MCII has some superior builds, many of which require you to own the Hero Deathstrike, the Blood Asp has several builds of its own which are outright superior.

Prime example would be comparing the Blood Asp to the MCII-1 which is one of the better MCII variants. Blood Asp can mount 3 ballistic and 4 Energy in high mounts verses 2 ballistic and 4 Energy High Mounts on the MCII-1. Additional the Blood Asp can mount this all in the torso which the MCII-1 cannot which means the Blood Asp can strip the arms if they need more weight. If weight isn't an issue the Blood Asp could also potential mount an additional 6 energy hardpoints in the arms, many more than the MCII-1 can. Point is that while they don't completely mimic each other for many builds, including a Dual UAC/10 and energy build set up, the Blood Asp can do it better than the MCII-1.

MCII excels at two builds. Quad UACs and 6E + Dual Guass/UAC/10 builds(Deathstrike only on this second build). I would even go as far as saying the MCII offers a better LRM platform but aside from this, the Blood Asp is actually probably a bit better,

Also lets be honest here, the MCII doesn't have good hit boxes. It is very, very easy to CT core out a MCII very easily, just aim at the front of the torso near the cockpit, from any angle, and your hitting CT. Generally speaking the fact it has excellent high mounts and offers exceptionally firepower offset the CT hit box issue but the issue is there nevertheless.

The Blood Asp on the other hand has very good hit boxes from my experience and I find it very easy to spread damage and shield for the most part. If PGI's plan to increase the size of the highest ST gun mounts in order to appease the vocal "Looks Cool" idiots out there doesn't screw thing up, there is no doubt the Blood Asp is more tankier than the MCII.

So generally speaking, I find these to mechs to be equal depending on build.

#68 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

anyone notice that blood asp felt more duable then mad kitty mk2??

or is it just me!!

my mad cat mk2 melts so damn fast..

#69 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

View PostJudauAshta, on 24 May 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

or is it just me!!

Yep. Honestly my biggest issue with the MCII and the reason why I don't typically play them all that much is due to how easy they are to core out. The CT on the MCII is really, really bad. The Blood Asp is much more tanky.

#70 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

3UAC5 + LBX20 murders every MCII.

#71 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:44 PM

View PostJudauAshta, on 24 May 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

or is it just me!!

Very much the opposite... Easy as pie to CT the BlAsp with any of my builds, and they die MUCH faster than a MCII in actual combat. (the hitboxes on the BlAsp are almost 50% larger than the MCII)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 24 May 2018 - 10:44 PM.

#72 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:41 AM

View PostLuminis, on 24 May 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

To me, it seemed like a done deal. Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess, but people need their garage queens.

There is one easy way around that. You don't change the hit boxes even as you change the art. The art is independent of the hit box. That would also save time and money on the development, and that's gold to Russ' ears. Its a win-win situation.

If the Blood Asp comes close enough to something, the gun barrels would go through that something like a ghost. A mere and minor visual annoyance.

Edited by Anjian, 25 May 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#73 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:17 AM

View PostAnjian, on 25 May 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

There is one easy way around that. You don't change the hit boxes even as you change the art. The art is independent of the hit box. That would also save time and money on the development, and that's gold to Russ' ears. Its a win-win situation.

If the Blood Asp comes close enough to something, the gun barrels would go through that something like a ghost. A mere and minor visual annoyance.

the hitboxes should always be reflective of what you're actually seeing. i think the best solution would be to give prominent pieces of geometry some damage reduction, though i imagine that's more effort than we can expect from PGI.

#74 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

View Postcougurt, on 25 May 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

the hitboxes should always be reflective of what you're actually seeing. i think the best solution would be to give prominent pieces of geometry some damage reduction, though i imagine that's more effort than we can expect from PGI.

Or just leave it as it.

Seriously, the entire reason they changed to the Stubby mounts was because the community pointed out just how big a flaw they were and how they would likely make the mech be totally crapy in actual game play. Now they are making them longer because they listened to the Community. WTF THEY ALREADY LISTENED TO THE COMMUNITY WHEN THEY DECIDED TO GO TO THE STUBBY MOUNTS???

Seriously which community are the listening to or did they just flip a coin?

Still there some hope. Maybe PGI will add 15-20 armor to the STs after they cater to people who want the Blood Asp Nerfs in order to look cool. To be honest, I am still shocked that there are people who are saying to themselves, "Yeah I want my mech to be blown the crap every match and be total Dogdoo as long as I look good getting blow the crap" I didn't think any player community could be that stupid.

#75 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 25 May 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

Or just leave it as it.

Seriously, the entire reason they changed to the Stubby mounts was because the community pointed out just how big a flaw they were and how they would likely make the mech be totally crapy in actual game play. Now they are making them longer because they listened to the Community. WTF THEY ALREADY LISTENED TO THE COMMUNITY WHEN THEY DECIDED TO GO TO THE STUBBY MOUNTS???

Still there some hope. Maybe PGI will add 15-20 armor to the STs after they cater to people who want the Blood Asp Nerfs in order to look cool. To be honest, I am still shocked that there are people who are saying to themselves, "Yeah I want my mech to be blown the crap every match and be total Dogdoo as long as I look good getting blow the crap" I didn't think any player community could be that stupid.

People complained about the size of those old pods (their vertical height, length, not their position), the dynamic pod size as well as the uneven arm sizes and the fact the gauss barrels had the triangular point pointing up instead of down, looked fugly, not it’s ease to be hit. The quick fix, so it seams, was to put the pods to the smaller and stubbier energy pods. Calling people stupid and idiots isn’t providing anything constructive to the discussion. Tone the salt levels down !

https://mwomercs.com...lease-may-15th/

Edited by Vanguard836, 25 May 2018 - 08:59 AM.

#76 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

They shortened it, sold the Mech to those that wanted to play it; now they're elongating it to sell it to those who buy based on looks only.

I didn't think any player community could be that stupid.

Been a while, but there was a topic about a dude who admitted to buying damn near every Mech pack even though he doesn't play the game at all.

Maybe PGI will add 15-20 armor to the STs

I don't think they'll give a ****. They'll change the BAS, pitch it to the "players" who want their garage queens and once they've sold all they can to said "players", they'll forget about the BAS entirely and focus on pitching the next Mech.

#77 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

View PostVanguard836, on 25 May 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

People complained about the size of those old pods (their vertical height, length, not their position), the dynamic pod size as well as the uneven arm sizes and the fact the gauss barrels had the triangular point pointing up instead of down, looked fugly, not it’s ease to be hit. The quick fix, so it seams, was to put the pods to the smaller and stubbier energy pods. Calling people stupid and idiots isn’t providing anything constructive to the discussion. Tone the salt levels down !

https://mwomercs.com...lease-may-15th/

Sorry but it is true in this case though.

Let think about this logically.

For whatever reason PGI decided to go with the stubby pods which a blind person can see only benefited the Blood Asp's performance and at the end of the day, a mech is only as fun as its ability to perform in a match. That was a HUGE WIN for the community. One major issue, the fact that the upper ST mounts would be very large, protruding from the mech, easily targeted and target-able from any angle was removed and we have a mech that is performing above average if not downright good.

But nope. The community wants it to look cool so PGI is going to be adding the flaw in the design back in to appease the community. So instead of what we have now which is a damn good mech, they, this brilliant community of ours, thinks that it is a good idea to realistically add 20% surface area to the target-able hit boxes of the ST so they can admire how "Cool" the mech looks in the mech bay. Honestly I think that is another thing that really gets to me about this. You are in the cockpit of the mech so you can't even see how cool your mech looks when playing anyway.

So you tell me. You saying that people who want this change want the mech to be less fun when playing, to be less effective, to earn less C-bills and XP, to be easier to kill, to provide less benefit to their teams in a match, to lose more often. I am sorry that is like wanting to earn less money at your job, work more hours, to have to work at a harder pace. Sorry but if you told people that you wanted all that their response would be, "Man what is wrong with you that you want to work harder, for more hours each day, for for less money, what, are you stupid?".

Sorry sometime things need to be called for what they are and wanting this change is just stupid. Ok so maybe the people who want this change aren't normally stupid but the idea is sure the hell is stupid and if they want this change then they sure the hell weren't using all their IQ potential when they campaigned PGI to make the change.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 25 May 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#78 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

If you really think a 5% increased side profile for the ST is going to make that much difference, you're deluded.

#79 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 25 May 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

If you really think a 5% increased side profile for the ST is going to make that much difference, you're deluded.

It is going to be a heck of alot more than 5% increase to the surface area of the ST. Realistically speaking probably more like 15-20% plus the pods will have much increased viability and will become a focal point that will catch the eye. Catching the eye is a bad thing because it is about the same thing as painting a big red bulleye on the CTs saying shoot here. Also the longer pods will mean just what everyone pointed out pre-release and that is you will be able to shoot the STs from any angle. If you see a Blood Asp trying to shield a damaged ST, no problem, just shoot across the mech at the big barrel housing sticking way out in front the mech. Pop goes the ST. Also it will make the mechs profile much more noticeable. Think of how red cars get speeding tickets more than black cars, which is a true statistic by the way. Same thing with a distinctive looking mech, it is going to get focused on more. Lastly, while many don't realize it, with ECM you can often just blend into the background and people won't notice you. However the more distinctive your profile the less chance of that happening there is.

So while I will grant you some of those factors are more of an issue than others and some might only pose very minor situational issues, all of them combined are pretty significant.

Also I will leave it with this. How many times has PGI did a relatively minor adjustment to the hitboxes of a mech and it has changed that mech from a POS to extremely good. The Sunspider is the most recent example. The relatively small change of increasing the CT hitbox while reducing the ST hitboxes made that mech at least 20% tankier than it was when it was released. Hell people were selling off their free Vanguard Hero because it lost STs too quickly, now no one complains about its hitboxes anymore, all because of a small change to the hit boxes. So yes, lengthening those barrel shrouds or whatever they are are going to have a negative effect on the Blood Asp, that is obvious. Unlike those hit box changes on the Sunspider, there is no net positive result awaiting us after these changes, no it is a nerf, no two ways about it. The only thing we have to wait and see on is how badly it effects the Blood Asp because there is a very real possibility that we are going to get pre-fix Sunspider syndrome going on with the Blood Asp shedding STs very quickly. Then all these "Looks Cool" people will be complaining about how it needs armor quirks to be competitive.

In any case, again I just don't understand why so many people want to voluntarily nerf their Blood Asps just so the mech looks cool in the mech bay. If the game was third person and we were looking at our mechs all day, then yeah maybe but your sitting in the cockpit looking out so why ask for your mech to be gimped???

#80 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

ATM 48 baby .... it runs hot and certainly not meta but daaaaamn is it fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users