#1 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

So going threw my mech collection. Im looking for a mech to do dual light Gauss and 2 or 3 large Er lasers. Looking for a mech to do it in. Guessing a Rifleman with a small Xl engine. I do own all the Jagermechs, guess I could fit them out and try it. I don't do long range combat, very often since I'm only an Inner Sphere jock.

If you got a build for me, please link it, so I can do some build crafting while at work today. Bruno o/

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Thanatos maybe? Or a Warhammer?

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

The Rifleman and maybe the Uziel. Pretty much everything else is too light to run dual ballistics like that, is heavy enough to carry dual GRs, or just shouldn't be playing that kind of game.

#4 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Warhammer Black Widow. LFE270, 2 ERLL, 2 LGR, 5-6 tons of ammo. Stripped arms and 12 off each leg. Can adjust ammo amount to taste, 120 rounds (before skills) might be too many for you personally.

#5 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Rifleman 3C.

Both gauss in one arm and four ermeds in torso's.

All about the quirks for this one and is very niche. I use it CW where I pretty much live full time....

Most other choices are bad because the tonnage is wasted. Putting on a Whammy for instance would be really stupid considering how well it does two normal gauss and meds. And again the Rifleman is really only able to pull it off cause of quirks.

Also of note its crazy range is only effective if you are good with gauss and to make work requires a lot of work. Because of quick cycle time and low damage, if I don't land two or three volleys in a row on a mech it is a bad trade.

The payoff for me however is that it is engaging to make it do well. Battlemaster 1G is a great mech and really fits the long range role very well, but is very boring.

#6 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

Marauder 3R can do 2 LGR in the right torso with a LFE. I run a 320 LFE and + 4 ER Meds to go along with the LGR. You'll probably have to drop the engine a bit and lower armor a smidge to put 2 ER LL in there.

Edited by Funzo, 17 May 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#7 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Well after PGI nerfed the Banshee's hard points. Including no longer being able to high mount a UAC20 to blind myself. I decided to try out configs to see what still worked.

Apparently dual Light Gauss is possible with two MGs slotted in first. And an HPPC if you slot in two LPPCs first.

Posted Image

This build is for the sake of weird. I tried it a little. If you can leverage high mounts and stay at long range. It's not a bad build. But there's plenty of better builds out there. See what you've done to me PGI? LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!?

#8 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hmm. Maybe a Cyclops? This CP-11-P looks like it would meet your requirements. 2 light gauss, 3 ER large lasers, 1 er medium laser. It also has ECM, so that's nice.

#9 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

You can't reasonably do it on a Rifleman, you need to sacrifice something from DHS, ammo, speed or armour - RFL-3N

You can do it reasonably well on a Catapult - CPLT-K2

Jagermechs can manage, they're safer but slower than the Catapult - Firebrand

The original Roughneck Hero has better ERLL mounts than the Jagermech, but worse LGauss mounts & tonnage, due to LAAs preventing LFF - Reaver

Cataphracts may be a good bet, especially the Hero - Ilya Muromets

The trusty Warhammer can manage more ammo & speed than the Cataphract, as the expense of fragility - WHM-6R

Thanatos may be a good bet, especially if you want some JJs and/or ECM in the mix - TNS-5S (near enough stock!)

Once you get to Assaults, you may as well add that 3rd ERLL...

Last year's Loyalty Reward Victor looks good, JJs optional - VTR-9A1

The Nightstar has a contender, still with the option of JJs - NSR-9S (LFE) NSR-9S (XL)

I think the Catapult, Warhammer & Thanatos are good options, as are both the Victor & Nightstar if you want that extra ERLL.

#10 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Glade I did this post, only problem now is my mech buy list, has just blown out of the water lol. Only need like 200 million c-bills now.... back to grinding for me now...

#11 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

View PostBombast, on 17 May 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

The Rifleman and maybe the Uziel. Pretty much everything else is too light to run dual ballistics like that, is heavy enough to carry dual GRs, or just shouldn't be playing that kind of game.

This, you really shouldn't be bringing such weak weapons on anything bigger.

#12 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

If you actually wanna use 'em for super long range, the extra range and velocity quirks on the Jager A help. With nodes mine's got optimal range over a kilometer away.

#13 Plamen

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...6e4bd6cb9e01b32

MAD-5M

2 lgauss + 5 med pulses. My fav build for the chassis. A lot of fun to play.

The weapons have the same cool down, so with some twisting you are a brawling beast.

Edited by Plamen, 17 May 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#14 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 17 May 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Well after PGI nerfed the Banshee's hard points. Including no longer being able to high mount a UAC20 to blind myself. I decided to try out configs to see what still worked.

Apparently dual Light Gauss is possible with two MGs slotted in first. And an HPPC if you slot in two LPPCs first.

Posted Image

This build is for the sake of weird. I tried it a little. If you can leverage high mounts and stay at long range. It's not a bad build. But there's plenty of better builds out there. See what you've done to me PGI? LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!?

why did they further neuter a mech that has sucked since the engine desync???!?!?!?!?

#15 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 17 May 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

why did they further neuter a mech that has sucked since the engine desync???!?!?!?!?

Probably because the art department didn't let the balance department know what they were doing. Or perhaps it's so irrelevant they don't care. The Firestarter was badly hurt by rescale, but it took them like a year to acknowledge there was even a problem with upscaled lights.

#16 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

You're better off just mounting a regular Gauss vs. a pair of LGauss, even if you're trying to play the maximum range game. Standard Gauss maxes at 1,320m, ERLL's at 1,350m, and range skillup will benefit both almost identically. And you'll only have one bomb mounted on your robot instead of two.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

RFL-3N - run with 6x ERSL and XL 280; the best, insane rate of fire and range.

RFL-3C - run with 4x ERML and XL 265; similar to the 3N if you already have a 3N build you like and don't want to ruin.

JM6-FB - run with 6x ERML and LFE 265; also has cooldown quirks and can poke with the high mounts.

WHM-6R - run with 6x ERML and LFE 280; no quirks, just good geo and hardpoints.

NSR-9J - run with 2x ERLL and 4x ERML; because you sure ain't fitting regular Gauss in with all six laser hardpoints filled...don't actually buy this 'Mech for this, though, only try if you already own.

#18 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 17 May 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

You're better off just mounting a regular Gauss vs. a pair of LGauss, even if you're trying to play the maximum range game. Standard Gauss maxes at 1,320m, ERLL's at 1,350m, and range skillup will benefit both almost identically. And you'll only have one bomb mounted on your robot instead of two.

Dual LGR fire very fast, both charge and cool down times - but they are 7 tons heavier than regular GR, so it depends on whether these tons are better spent elsewhere.

The rule of thumb is that if you can fit dual GR, dont bother considering dual LGR. So heavy and assults with good ballistic mounts on different body parts (2 side torsos for example) have little use for LGRs. Where dual LGRs bring something special is IS mechs with two ballistic mounts in the same side torso. LGR is 5 crit slots, so you can fit 2 of then with an LE engine. Examples that come to mind are Orion V, Roughneck 1A, and most of the cyclops. Of those, the Roughneck has high mounts and is suitable to be a long range Gauss sniper (doing this with an assult is a waste). Now you have to justify to yourself that the 24 ton investment is good compared to the alternatives. In this case, 2UAC5 is the obvious one. I personally dislike UAC5 without jam quirks - they jam way too much (as opposed to UAC10/20).

2 LGR is not really good, but in some particular cases, the alternatives are not better.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 18 May 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#19 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 18 May 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

Dual LGR fire very fast, both charge and cool down times - but they are 7 tons heavier than regular GR, so it depends on whether these tons are better spent elsewhere.

The rule of thumb is that if you can fit dual GR, dont bother considering dual LGR. So heavy and assults with good ballistic mounts on different body parts (2 side torsos for example) have little use for LGRs. Where dual LGRs bring something special is IS mechs with two ballistic mounts in the same side torso. LGR is 5 crit slots, so you can fit 2 of then with an LE engine. Examples that come to mind are Orion V, Roughneck 1A, and most of the cyclops. Of those, the Roughneck has high mounts and is suitable to be a long range Gauss sniper (doing this with an assult is a waste). Now you have to justify to yourself that the 24 ton investment is good compared to the alternatives. In this case, 2UAC5 is the obvious one. I personally dislike UAC5 without jam quirks - they jam way too much (as opposed to UAC10/20).

2 LGR is now really good, but in some particular cases, the alternatives are not better.

Agreed that dual LGR is really only viable in mechs with 2x ballistics in the torso (or mechs too light for dual GR, like mediums), and it's not a bad choice for that. The issue then is that 2 UAC5 is usually a better choice for that then. Lighter with much higher DPS.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 18 May 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 18 May 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

9 tons heavier. A pair of LGauss is 24 tons while a single Gauss is 15 tons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users