#41 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

So what's with the love of HPG?

Are you implying HPG is a NASCARing map? There's many different routes to take and lots of cover. There's the central platform area where you can optionally have the team take top to have good vantage and cover, the basement so you can brawl down there or use it to move to another area of the map without being seen, the areas to the side of the middle area where there's good side peeking opportunities, then the outer ring where lights will often run flanks. There's a very diverse set of tactics that can be employed there.

#42 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

So what's with the love of HPG?

It's a combination of factors. Better visibility and more straightforward map design. It's small and intimate, meaning LRMs are less of a concern and brawling is more viable. More verticality and lines of attack. There is a counterclockwise bias, but at least you aren't spending as much time just walking in circles.

#43 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 May 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

It boil down to three things:

Heat management - They can't manage their heat levels because they're play style is based around...
Alpha strikes - Which involves maximum damage in the shortest time frame and coincidentally maximum heat in that same period. This is typically compounded by sacrificing heat-sinks for more alpha, and becomes more apparent by their...

No one sane is sacrificing heatsinks for the sake of alpha. Generally the high alpha builds have at least 20 heatsinks and are filled to the brim. Also high alpha builds just take a shot then get behind cover and can cool off, negating the effects of hot maps pretty easily in this regard by just waiting behind cover about a second or two longer than they normally would have.

Meanwhile DPS builds, brawler builds, and generally low heatsink builds will have lots of trouble with these maps because they now suddenly have considerably lower sustain, which is really what hot maps attack.

#44 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 25 May 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

Are you implying HPG is a NASCARing map?

Ok, I lol'd. I get what you're saying but, well, you're wrong; at least in QP.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 25 May 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#45 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 May 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

[/size]

Ok, I lol'd. I get what you're saying but, well, you're wrong; at least in QP.

For you maybe, I rarely ever see NASCAR happening on HPG. I've seen it maybe once, but I've seen NASCAR once on polar, alpine, frozen city, viridian bog, and more.

#46 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

I tend to avoid Terra Therma, not because of the temperature, but because of the visibility. Caustic Valley tends to attract missile boats so I don't vote for it if other choices are available.

#47 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Ppl dont avoid hot maps.

Ppl love Tourmaline or Canyon and even Caustic isent unpopular.

Its just that Mordor is ugly or more precisely the center area where most battles occur is awkward and ugly. Not much fun playing there.

Its not the heat....its how great figths are on a given map. Thats why ppl love certain maps and dislike others.

#48 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 25 May 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

For you maybe, I rarely ever see NASCAR happening on HPG. I've seen it maybe once, but I've seen NASCAR once on polar, alpine, frozen city, viridian bog, and more.

And I hardly ever see NASCAR on Caustic Valley... More often than not, one team will try, and the other just cuts across into the middle of it as soon as possible. It really isn't a NASCAR if it can't even make it half-way around the track.

#49 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 25 May 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

It really isn't a NASCAR if it can't even make it half-way around the track.

Looks like Nascar to me.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 25 May 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#50 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

I like HPG it is a straight forward map. It is as dangerous as Solaris City but has lanes for Guass,ER PPC,and LRMs as well as brawling. The map seems different every time it is played.

#51 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 25 May 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Looks like Nascar to me.

That doesn't stop all the cars from making even 1 lap... Just saying...

#52 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

When I do get around to playing the maps usually go Grim Plexus, HPG, one of the cold maps, and occasionally Rivercity.

I get that some people can't play unless they're running optimal builds for optimal maps. But it'd be nice to drop on maps that pose some challenge and differences. We're probably cutting our variety in half by voting. We don't necessarily have to get rid of map voting. But perhaps a mechanic for reducing the rotation of overly popular maps. So that every night isn't Grim Plexus night.

#53 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Because our Mechs get hot and go BOOM

#54 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

I think I'll go wade in with some stupid cool builds later. Just pure never oh or something XD

#55 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Because weapon boating is a thing.. Lots of weapons run hot, lots of players run multiple hot weapons lasers missiles UAC etc so they avoid hot maps because they shut down constantly..

They don't seem to realize less is more in this game. Its all about alphaing your 70+ damage clan boats instantly destroying as much as they can before they shutdown.

Hot maps ruin that ideal.

Edited by Samial, 25 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#56 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 25 May 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

And I hardly ever see NASCAR on Caustic Valley... More often than not, one team will try, and the other just cuts across into the middle of it as soon as possible. It really isn't a NASCAR if it can't even make it half-way around the track.

All maps be Nascar Maps if TTK is low enough. The urge to flank is primal and most of us are right handed. I have seen Nascar on Polar and even Therma.

#57 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Clan LBX-2s and UAC-5s backed by ERMLs is not bad. Few designs seem to carry 4 ballistics and 2-4 energy and do it well.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 25 May 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#58 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 25 May 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

No one sane is sacrificing heatsinks for the sake of alpha. Generally the high alpha builds have at least 20 heatsinks and are filled to the brim. Also high alpha builds just take a shot then get behind cover and can cool off, negating the effects of hot maps pretty easily in this regard by just waiting behind cover about a second or two longer than they normally would have.

Meanwhile DPS builds, brawler builds, and generally low heatsink builds will have lots of trouble with these maps because they now suddenly have considerably lower sustain, which is really what hot maps attack.

I just read how not to fight like a man Posted Image

View PostSamial, on 25 May 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Because weapon boating is a thing.. Lots of weapons run hot, lots of players run multiple hot weapons lasers missiles UAC etc so they avoid hot maps because they shut down constantly..

They don't seem to realize less is more in this game. Its all about alphaing your 70+ damage clan boats instantly destroying as much as they can before they shutdown.

Hot maps ruin that ideal.

I play 1 round with a dude in FP together and i can say if he is an "Alpha-Striker". I respect their tactic, but neither it is mine nor it is fitting to our unit's (& friends) style of play. In my experience "Alpha-Striker" have problems to organize a good teamplay. Their nature is it to stand widely spread, everyone behind "his" corner... i love to smash these guys in brawl...Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Six, 25 May 2018 - 11:05 PM.

#59 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:49 AM

View PostChampion of Khorne Lord of Blood, on 25 May 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

This. People just don't understand that a hot build with a ton of DHS loses less performance on a hot mech than a hot brawler or dakka boat that's already strapped for heatsinks.

View PostBishop Six, on 25 May 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

I just read how not to fight like a man Posted Image

I just want to point out that too many MWO players seem to think "fighting like a man" = bumrushing the opposing team and blowing up within 30 seconds of match start :P

#60 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:48 AM

View PostLuminis, on 26 May 2018 - 01:49 AM, said:

[...] "like a man" = bumrushing [..] 30 seconds Posted Image

Mh...you got a point Sir Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Six, 26 May 2018 - 05:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users