Solo Queue - Mm Update (30/05/2018)

159 replies to this topic

#141 Nightspectre

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

have you guys thought of moving matches back to 8v8 or maybe doing a 10v10 to balance the times? I'm not sure how this would affect queue and I'm sure you guys have thought on it but I've seen no mention so I figured why not broach the subject. If its not an amenable option that's cool just wondering.

Edited by Nightspectre, 15 May 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#142 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

Did PGI disable tier separation? I've been getting matched with some real potatoes in the 30% range on Jarls list that I'm positive aren't even in tier 3...

#143 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 04 July 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

Did PGI disable tier separation? I've been getting matched with some real potatoes in the 30% range on Jarls list that I'm positive aren't even in tier 3...

If said players have played the past few years and have lots of games with an average 170ish MS, it is quite possible for said players to be T2 or even T1.

Essentially Tier 1/2 combine needs their own little sub-tier system... or at least use MS as part of the MM.

Reminder, MM only uses weight class and Tier to form teams in SoloQ and the PSR movement has a heavy emphasis on upward movement at a low MS number.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 July 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#144 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

That's disgusting.

It makes me a debbie downer, a salty sally, and a negative nancy.
I hate being grouped with a bunch of dumb darrels and gulliable gus's.
I'm upsetty spaghetti with this response; fix it.
If you can't fix it, I will turn into a malicious melvin with some big ol floppy jalopies that would make Pam Anderson be a jelly belly.

#145 xVoidxHammerx

Rookie

• The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:55 AM

THANK YOU! I am a night shift worker by trade so when im online im one of those guys playing at 3 in the morning. on my nights off this helps a lot with the wait times

#146 G A N O N

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

The idea is great. Tier 4 and 5 players will complain a lot because so many top tier players have alt accounts and with those accounts they start at tier 5. That's why you would occasionally see a tier 4 or 5 player making 1300+ damage. Then someone may complain. The player will be checked. All fine, he is a tier 4 or 5 player. Let's go on. So in theory you will always have tier 1 or tier 2 players mixing it with the tier 4 and 5 players!

#147 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:11 PM

I've been playing with the same group of guys for the past few years. In the last few weeks we've totally stopped playing the group queue due to the wait times increasing...30 mins to a hour for a match. So now we just sync drop in the solo queue. And to tell you the truth, it's been more fun. The drops are fast, we drop against each other about 50% of the time, which is fun, and there's no weight restrictions.
Kinda wish we did this sooner. But back then there were a lot more people playing so getting into the same game might have been a problem. Now my biggest concern is not accidentally giving away too much info to the friends on the enemy team in TS. Posted Image

The other plus is that the tiers get more mixed. The chances of having all Tier 1 long time players, against a group Tier 5 new players is minimal.

#148 MF H3NDO

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 23 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTraining Grounds

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:55 AM

Thank you for the info!

#149 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:31 PM

View PostThatGuy539, on 13 December 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

The other plus is that the tiers get more mixed. The chances of having all Tier 1 long time players, against a group Tier 5 new players is minimal.

It is actually non-existent because it does not happen.

The very first post outlines how a match is formed.

It is +/- 2 tiers only. So Tier 1 will only ever match as low as Tier 3. This have been tested and proven.

#150 Ojon Clayman

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

I have probably lost about 80% of my games since I came back. It's a stomp almost every game. 10% of the time I get grouped with the 4 man that just wipes everything. Maybe 5 of my games that I have played over the past week have been decently close. Pretty depressing honestly.

#151 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:24 AM

I am very pleased to know you are working on it. Thank you.

It seems like the PSR is the most urgent outstanding issue to resolve. Perhaps the most politic solution would be to keep tier rating as a public label and have a metric for internal use, maybe call it [match_contribution] or some such that is not published, even to the player, that is the average match score or average damage over a period of time or number of matches that is used to build teams. If you broke it up into 20 increments then you would have more flexibility in putting people in matches. During peak hours have small buckets, Players in the top 5% form a group and so on. In slower times when you aren't building a match every few seconds group them in 10% increments. And so on. If things are really slow open them up into only 3 groups like now. Players in the top 33.3% play each other, middle 1/3 play each other and so on. Just set the number of contribution groups you want the let the math do the rest. Maybe you would never have enough players in queue to get it down that fine, no problem, the system would be there doing what you want even if it is set to only use 3 or 4 skill groups. Better to have high resolution data and not need it than to only have people in 5 buckets.

Now if we can get people talking and organizing in the matches it will be a fun again.

#152 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

Come ON, 4 Assaults to 0 just now and on Skirmish to boot, so yeah tonnage does matter. Paul Russ, as a paying customer I'd like an explanation
So hard to program in OK 2 here and 2 here

Edited by BigBadVlad, 16 November 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#153 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:09 PM

huh nothing in over 2 months. 5Assaults to 0 today, even worse. Why not just make MM totally random or tonnage based only? Luck of the draw on skill level...................

#154 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

View Postcmndctrl, on 25 February 2021 - 03:13 PM, said:

this desperately needs work, you're bleeding new players because they are constantly getting stomped by groups. they wont take the time to post here to let you know but i am out of courtesy

New accounts now start in Tier 5 instead of in the middle of the pack of Tier 3.

And groups come in both Elite, Okay and BAADDDD versions. And the game is usually won before even dropping into combat, in the Mechlab. And overall imho groups should first be restricted to 1 mech/weight class instead of a min/max tonnage. Atm with min/max a group going heavy could take at least 2 assaults...

#155 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:04 PM

1) Stop allowing Tier 1 players to play against Tier 4 and 5 players completely. Hard line.. no ifs ands or buts no matter how low the player count is in off peak times. To do this, the value for Tier separation has been set to 2. The biggest skill gap allowed now is Tier 1 to Tier 3. Tier 2 to Tier 4. Tier 3 to Tier 5.

Please go with this, many tier 1 players are exploiting the que with group drops with lower tiers to farm the tier 4&5s

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 February 2021 - 06:22 PM, said:

New accounts now start in Tier 5 instead of in the middle of the pack of Tier 3.

And groups come in both Elite, Okay and BAADDDD versions. And the game is usually won before even dropping into combat, in the Mechlab. And overall imho groups should first be restricted to 1 mech/weight class instead of a min/max tonnage. Atm with min/max a group going heavy could take at least 2 assaults...

Doesn't matter because tier 1s and 2s are exploiting the group ques to farm new players, i'm seeing it daily and they even say they are doing it.. And state they are trying to ruin the matches.

Had many last night Oceanic time 8:00pm onwards UTC +10 Brisbane time

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 April 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

It is actually non-existent because it does not happen.

The very first post outlines how a match is formed.

It is +/- 2 tiers only. So Tier 1 will only ever match as low as Tier 3. This have been tested and proven.

If you add three tier 1s and a tier 4 to a group que they all go to tier 4... If you add four new tier 1 at tier 5 alt accounts they all goto tier 5. Yes its being exploited daily to farm kills.

Edited by MechaGnome, 02 November 2021 - 11:58 PM.

#156 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:16 PM

View Postcmndctrl, on 22 March 2021 - 07:37 PM, said:

unmerge group queue from solo. you're killing any chance of new players picking up the game in favour of your founders getting seriously mediocre fights

On the other shoe, players bringing in their friends would have even more difficulty in a pure Group queue, again, due to that setup. The real difference is with the Soup queue, it is only a max of 4-man per side, whereas the previous Group queue could be max 12-man units.

The current Soup queue could be helped by removing the min/max tonnage limits and making it 1 mech/weight class for a group, then set it back up to matching weight classes on each side, they did it all the time when it was the Solo queue.

And I would go as far as making it max of 3-man instead of 4-man, but due the above first to collect data.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 March 2021 - 04:17 PM.

#157 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 March 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

On the other shoe, players bringing in their friends would have even more difficulty in a pure Group queue, again, due to that setup. The real difference is with the Soup queue, it is only a max of 4-man per side, whereas the previous Group queue could be max 12-man units.

The current Soup queue could be helped by removing the min/max tonnage limits and making it 1 mech/weight class for a group, then set it back up to matching weight classes on each side, they did it all the time when it was the Solo queue.

And I would go as far as making it max of 3-man instead of 4-man, but due the above first to collect data.

Then you can't team with friends, its a tough break but if it makes the game smoother its a win.

#158 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:05 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 March 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

What if they reopened group queue and they limit groups to 4 mans like soup que and then leave 12 mans for FW and Player run comps.

Could make it easier to match make groups imo.

Their are fewer 12 mans compared to smaller groups after all and they big groups can always sync drop haha.
With a chance of facing each other.
Posted Image

#159 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:52 PM

View PostSamial, on 24 March 2021 - 05:41 PM, said:

Then you can't team with friends, its a tough break but if it makes the game smoother its a win.

It wouldnt be smoother. Player have always complained about the quality of matches.. or more to the point of stomps even when it was actually the solo queue. It had matching weight classes and on the stomps, it was generally one side which actually worked together and didnt do cheezy things to enhance a loss.

I would still like to see PGI change the group setup from min/max tonnage to 1 mech/weight class, potentially drop it to only 2-men/3-men only and match up the weight classes like to was before. Players will still bring cheezy builds, ie many games are lost in the mechlab. Nor do I see PGI reverting the overall decision to merge the solo queue into the group queue.... that is the MM PGI is essentially using atm.

And for the most part, I actually drop solo majority of the time between my main and alt, something like 1/50 games.

#160 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 March 2021 - 05:52 PM, said:

I would still like to see PGI change the group setup from min/max tonnage to 1 mech/weight class

Worth repeating. IMO - If premades want more control then they can join the invasion wars.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users