Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4169 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1985 votes [47.61%])

Percentage of vote: 47.61%

2. No (2011 votes [48.24%])

Percentage of vote: 48.24%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.15%])

Percentage of vote: 4.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dantiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

that is actually really interesting, I was talking to some friends how back in the day of the 8vs8 you not only had more impact in the match, no matter your mech class, but you could also last much longer since there was less mechs to shoot at you. even more in the close beta without DHS, you could run right through the entire enemy team and get on the other side without a single part exposed.

so while I'll say that company vs company is really fun, it can get kinda frustrating after some time. you don't feel like what you are doing matter, the engagements are a mess, you can't even try to get closer without half of the enemy team ready to snipe you. so its a great idea to keep it in the faction play but leave QP as 8v8. it may even give people more reasons to play faction mode for the carnage of more mechs.

Edited by Dantiger, 06 June 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#22 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

The issues I see with switching to 8v8 are:
Maps are currently far too big, they'd need to be reworked.
The all too common disconnect (usually an assault) will be more of a handicap compared to 12v12
Unskilled mechs would be a greater detriment to the team than in 12v12
Non-Meta builds will be even more frowned upon and there will be salt.

If you want to switch to 8v8, do that for FP or maybe have group drop become 8v8. Keep QP (at least solo, probably group) as 12v12

Edited by Mikayshen, 06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM.

#23 Mr Astley

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

View PostXDevilsChariotX, on 06 June 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

If you wanna mess with a 8v8. Do it in group drops if anything. I say leave QP alone. It's fine the way it is in my opinion and development time can be better spent elsewhere. I voted no. If this does happen. Maybe make it an option?

Amazing suggestion. If people want to drop as a group of 9 or more, they're by default better suited for Faction Play. Also, you'd have to remove the Death Star achievement unless you open up achievements to Faction Play, as well...
What would be the logistics/technical requirements to give the OPTION of 8v8 AND 12v12 Quick Play?

Edited by Mr Astley, 06 June 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#24 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostTranderas, on 06 June 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Absolutely not. The map size is too big for it and the recent buff to LRM velocity have shown that you have no interest in shrinking it.

It takes eight robots exactly the same amount of time to get to the same spots twelve do now, considering most of the map is utterly ignored anyway on a majority of the maps.

Plus, 8v8 would legit allow the reintroduction of Classic Frozen and Classic Forest Colony to go with the larger versions.

#25 Smutty

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Holy mother of yes please. We can finally make QP not suck

#26 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Old Frozen City and old Forest Colony were great maps, redesigned because 12v12 was too cramped.

MRBC and the MWO WC both use an 8v8 format.

Switch QP back to 8v8, reintroduce the old maps, and save 12v12 for FW. People wanting larger groups might actually go there to play if you axe the Invasion game mode and stick with the Conquest modes on large maps.

#27 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostLiam Wolf, on 06 June 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

8v8 will destroy playing for fun.

Shockingly, beta players had lots and lots of fun playing 8v8 before the change. Indeed, if they hadn't you would never have seen 12v12, FP, Solaris, etc. because if they hadn't, the game would have never gotten past beta due to lack of fun-interest.

#28 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

The more players involved, the more chaos, and the more chaos the less chance of a specific chassis dominating the battles. On the other hand it may curve the LRM problem. As its easy to hide behind 11 other team mates, but try doing that when there is only 7 other people. Not really sure which way I would go with this one. One thing is for sure keep this away from faction play

#29 Unit 86

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

**** yes.
All the downsides of 8v8 are heavily outweighted by the fact that carrying 7 spuds is much more realistic than carrying 11 spuds. And so all the games where you get 8 kill, 8 kmdd, 8 solo kill and still lose are out of the way.

Edited by Unit 86, 06 June 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#30 Korz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

Instead of 8 v 8 How about going with 10 v 12 for clan v inner sphere and 10 v 10 for clan and 12 v 12 for house v house. Then you can start balancing things around the right numbers of mechs on the field per side instead of balancing with quirks and nerf clan and guass and etc... I understand this is real time vs turn based but you do have plenty of things in canon to balance with then just hey this is easy for us. Stop taking the easy road and get back to the heart and soul of Battle Tech. BT's release should have shown you and your recent announcement of stock mechs should be proof that you know that the heart and soul is what makes this a great game. Stop killing the soul.

#31 Timber Ghost

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

I agree with some of what was said above. I like the idea of 8v8, and actually kind of miss it. But, I think some of the maps are just too big for it. But then again, I think some of those maps are too big for 12v12 also, lol.

Lets have a retro weekend. 8v8, all the maps up until HPG.

#32 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Change it to 8vs8 for a month or so and test it. In addition do an event arround it to get more people into it. After this you can decide.

#33 Wandering Wiseman

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

Hard no to 8v8, each mechs means more which means unless you play meta you probably will lose. I want to use my fun builds not forced to use meta ********.

#34 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostKorz, on 06 June 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Instead of 8 v 8 How about going with 10 v 12 for clan v inner sphere and 10 v 10 for clan and 12 v 12 for house v house. Then you can start balancing things around the right numbers of mechs on the field per side instead of balancing with quirks and nerf clan and guass and etc... I understand this is real time vs turn based but you do have plenty of things in canon to balance with then just hey this is easy for us. Stop taking the easy road and get back to the heart and soul of Battle Tech. BT's release should have shown you and your recent announcement of stock mechs should be proof that you know that the heart and soul is what makes this a great game. Stop killing the soul.

Because these split an already strained QP queue, giving it a bad case of Solaris 7-itis.

Absolutely no. Plus, they've already said no balancing by asymmetrical force size, sadly.

#35 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

World of Tanks does not have separate solo vs group queues, and team sizes are 15 v 15. The maximum group ("platoon") is 3, which is 20% of the entire team. There are Stronghold battles for when you want to drop as an entire team (which is 7).

I think a more simple option would be keep the quick play team size at 12, remove the separate solo and group queues, and reduce the maximum group size.

#36 _Pickle_

• PipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:27 PM

I say yes. 8v8 will entice teammates to know and use their role more, they will be relied on more as there's less mechs on the field so everyone will need to pull their weight! This may also allow more pilots to lean teamwork in-game at a higher level. Also, as talked about in the forum post, having less mechs on the field will mean more frames, so I'm not playing the game at 20fps! Posted Image

#37 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

Personally, I like the 12 v 12 Quickplay because I can choose to run off and do crazy crap and kill 5 enemies and my team doesnt get too messed over.

#38 Liam Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 06 June 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

Shockingly, beta players had lots and lots of fun playing 8v8 before the change. Indeed, if they hadn't you would never have seen 12v12, FP, Solaris, etc. because if they hadn't, the game would have never gotten past beta due to lack of fun-interest.

I played in Beta, guess which one was more fun to me?

Hint 12v12.

#39 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostWandering King, on 06 June 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

Hard no to 8v8, each mechs means more which means unless you play meta you probably will lose. I want to use my fun builds not forced to use meta ********.

I don't play meta, but I still have to carry the guy "funbuilding" his flamer/MG Atlas. And 8v8 also means your funbuild is more likely to be fun-ctional for match purposes versus fun-damentally useless, simply because you can do less and still contribute meaningfully to the match.

12v12 is much more a push for the average player to go meta than 8v8.

#40 Leftyfrizz

Rookie

• The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

I Have only played a small amount of matches - I will go with the majority!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users