Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4169 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1985 votes [47.61%])

Percentage of vote: 47.61%

2. No (2011 votes [48.24%])

Percentage of vote: 48.24%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.15%])

Percentage of vote: 4.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#721 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 18 June 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

You can watch videos on Youtube of MWO from before they changed it to 12 V 12. I like 12 V 12 in Faction Play, but 8 V 8 was better for Quick Play.

Man, I played 8v8. How new do you think I am?

#722 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 June 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

Man, I played 8v8. How new do you think I am?

No idea, you have no founder tag, so who knows?

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 June 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

I would like PGI to allow both, or have a switch that would allow the game to run 8vs8, 10vs10, 12vs12, run each for 2-3 weeks, at least 2 cycles each. 8vs8, a majority of the time allowed a max 4-man while 10vs10 pays homage to Clans with 2 Stars each.

Not enough players to have that many pools.

#723 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 June 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

I would like PGI to allow both, or have a switch that would allow the game to run 8vs8, 10vs10, 12vs12, run each for 2-3 weeks, at least 2 cycles each. 8vs8, a majority of the time allowed a max 4-man while 10vs10 pays homage to Clans with 2 Stars each.

Why rotate? Why not make these modes random.. add some easy spice to the game.. as long as the weight is balanced on both sides, whether towards the heavier side, or the lighter side, should be fun.

#724 Pseudo98

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:45 AM

Is it time to revisit this subject Paul?

https://www.reddit.c..._for_8v8_soloq/

#725 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

View PostPseudo98, on 20 June 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

Is it time to revisit this subject Paul?

https://www.reddit.c..._for_8v8_soloq/

You want to get his attention? Tweeting him is your best bet..

#726 Pseudo98

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 20 June 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

You want to get his attention? Tweeting him is your best bet..

I probably will once the HPG post has run it's course.

#727 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 20 June 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Why rotate? Why not make these modes random.. add some easy spice to the game.. as long as the weight is balanced on both sides, whether towards the heavier side, or the lighter side, should be fun.

I would be fine with random rotation, remember though this is PGI...

#728 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

You know you can mouse over my name and see my join date, right?

#729 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 June 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

I would be fine with random rotation, remember though this is PGI...

Yeah, I preferred random rotation too, that way everyone is equally miserable when they get a map they don't like.

#730 3m2oo5

• Pip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPL

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:33 AM

View PostHelsbane, on 06 June 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I'm for it, especially if it could be cycled to activate 8v8 during low population hours, and swap back to 12v12 during peak hours.

And, when 8v8 is active, bring back the older maps for those matches. Original FC, RC, FC, etc. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to link those maps to 8v8 matchmaking.

For me this would work - dont delete 12vs12 random games, just add 8vs8 variant for certain maps / low number of players in queue.

#731 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

View Post3m2oo5, on 26 June 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

Posted ImageHelsbane, on 07 June 2018 - 01:16 AM, said:

I'm for it, especially if it could be cycled to activate 8v8 during low population hours, and swap back to 12v12 during peak hours.

And, when 8v8 is active, bring back the older maps for those matches. Original FC, RC, FC, etc. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to link those maps to 8v8 matchmaking.

This is a really good idea.

#732 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

View Post3m2oo5, on 26 June 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

For me this would work - dont delete 12vs12 random games, just add 8vs8 variant for certain maps / low number of players in queue.

I would even go with 10vs10 (Clan) and 12vs12 (IS)

#733 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:47 AM

View PostHalf Ear, on 26 June 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

I would even go with 10vs10 (Clan) and 12vs12 (IS)

Only if some of the Nerfs to Clan weapons were rolled back. Seriously, though, I have been playing a lot of BATTLETECH in IRONMAN mode recently and it is hard to come back to MWO, mostly because there are no knockdowns or melee in MWO.

#734 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

I voted no. I feel like 8v8 would be another dumb shooter. It's just an intuition, but intuition is part of all combat and sports Posted Image I also feel it may dramatically change all aspects from tactics and dynamics to morale and firepower. 12 mechs is a classic Battletech world company. Is it an idea like: "Lets cut expenses for servers maintenance"? Players are bitching about changes in FP. Why the **** when something is working good, somebody always want to break it? IT curse? Variant with 8v8 and 12v12 is a good idea. But there is one problem with the variants. People will start to choose only one of those. The one that will me more favorable to them. And then like half of the players will be unhappy (again?).

#735 Carmenblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • 839 posts
  • LocationTerra Firma

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

Please, NO 8x8!!!

#736 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 01 June 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

From a logistics/match making perspective, 8v8 has numerous advantages including faster team creation for both solo and group play in the match maker, faster connection times (less ‘Mechs being loaded), improved framerate, improved memory usage and less taxing on your local CPU.

8vs8 doesn´t help if you are stuck with the noobs.
8vs8 is worse if you have a disco.
8vs8 reduces the time you fight. That´s the time were we have fun, the time why we are playing MWO.
What QP really needs is a working MM. You tried to fix the MM last year Paul, what happened to that?
We need a MM based on Elo, a MM that not simply puts 24 players in a game based on TIER level (which is deavtivated btw since i´m TIER 1 and constantly drop with TIER 4 and 5). The MM should build teams based on the skill of the players and their used mechs.
Another big issue in QP is the fact that you have to choose your mech before the map and gamemode.
Suggestion 1: Players don´t select a particular mech, but a mech class (light, medium, heavy or assault). Like in FP you have 90 seconds to choose your mech before the game starts.
Suggestion 2: The option to choose maps and modes. Players can choose the maps and modes they want to play based on their choosen mech. From 1 map and 1 mode to all maps and all modes everything is possible.
Suggestion 3: Respawn. Like in the good old MW4 days. 30 minutes to get used to your mech, your team, to reconnect after a disco, to learn from other players.

8vs8 is a simple looking solution, which will not help to improve the experience for QP. In fact it will change nothing.
If you have to do 1.000 damage, 5-6 kills, 2-3 of them solo kills in order to get a win, you know 12vs12 isn´t the problem and 8vs8 will change nothing.
And you don´t need to be Einstein to predict how the game will end, when you see the players on both sides at the beginning.

Posted Image

#737 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostWarmasterRaptor, on 06 June 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Best of both worlds:

As an option, just like server/region selection

I like this, I know some people would queue for one or the other, I'd queue for both and it would always be a fun surprise.

#738 MrrVlad

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

Switch to 8v8(or 11v11, 10v10, 9v9 as appropriate) when someone has to wait more than 2 minutes.

Limit maximum group size for quick play to 3(I'd say 2 will b better for matchmaking purposes, but that's clearly a non-starter), take PSR/tonnage into account same way as for solo players - this should help with matchmaking speed and reduce one-sided matches.

Reserve larger group size for faction.

Add a bonus to PSR to group members for matchmaking purposes.

Edited by MrrVlad, 10 July 2020 - 09:15 PM.

#739 Redeye Sigma

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

Paul, you recently made a change to Quick play last night, not it takes forever go get into quick play. It used to take 1 to 2 minutes, and sometimes no wait at all. Now, it takes 20 minutes or so...some times longer. After looking at your charges on trying to improve tech balance and reduce stomps, you are making Tier 5 players wait 10 times longer than tier 3 players. I Think that is what is happening. If this continues, I will quit the game, because you are making so other players get more playtime than me just because they are supposedly better... Your ranking system is probably not that great either. Sorry for being critical... but there are too many variables to determine of a player is good or not. If you have a bunch of people going off on their own, that is just being stupid.... so you loose that game. THere are more experience players, people who can affort to by a bunch of mechs and trying thing out etc. but that doesn't make them a better player. In any case, we should all get the same play time no matter what tier you are in. What ever happend last nite, ruined the game for me, and is preventing me to get better sooner than later. Waiting 20 minutes or more to get in a game is a waste of time for me, and I will have to quick the game. I do not want to quit the game, but this change is ruining the game. I don't mind winining and loosing a game... it is about 50/50 for me. I just like to play the game. In other words, do what ever you are going to do to try to even the games out... but in my experience, it is 50/50. BUt what ever you do, Don't increase our wait times....because your charges on your last change showed that there are more tier 5 (or NEW Players) than any other group... then somehow these people tier up... SO if you want even skill, you don't let Tier 5 ppl play or have tier 1 with tier 5.... just make the teams even, but each game should have more tier 5 players because other wise, tier 5 players have to WAIT LONGER which is not fair, nor did I pay money to play this game to be treated unfairly. I just want to play.

Edited by Redeye Sigma, 16 July 2020 - 09:03 AM.

#740 Redeye Sigma

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:09 AM

View PostXDevilsChariotX, on 06 June 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

If you wanna mess with a 8v8. Do it in group drops if anything. I say leave QP alone. It's fine the way it is in my opinion and development time can be better spent elsewhere. I voted no. If this does happen. Maybe make it an option?

I agree... Messing with QP will do nothing. If you get noobs you get noobs..... besides, who is to say a tier 1 player is better than a tier 5? What is trying to be balanced here? I bet that I may have thought I was playing with a tier 1 player because they are smart and a good player, but later, found it he or she was a tier 5. That just means that person is smart., or doesn't act like a noob. Some times you win in poker, some times you loose. Changing the number of players will do nothing. Might as will just allow group size, and let people choose. We don't need a dictatorship here. 12v12 is good, and no game has ever been the same for me. I am a Tier 5 player, but I started playing mech warrior with mechwarrior 2, when it was a stick 3d game..... so I am definitely not a noob. I just have to get used to these slow mechs that don't fly.

Edited by Redeye Sigma, 16 July 2020 - 09:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users