Quick Play And 8V8

831 replies to this topic

Poll: Quick Play and 8v8 (4178 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO:S7 switch Quick Play to 8v8

1. Yes (1990 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. No (2015 votes [48.23%])

Percentage of vote: 48.23%

3. Maybe - Let me explain in the thread. (173 votes [4.14%])

Percentage of vote: 4.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Joska Rifinaukr

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

I'm of the opinion that if 8v8 is implemented, it should be optional. You know how you can select which region you want to connect to? Allow players to select whether to queue for 12v12, 8v8, or both. You say that invasion missions are 12v12, but there is a world of difference between true 12v12 in quick play and facing off against 12 sets of 4 in invasion.

#82 Manicus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

View PostFobhopper, on 06 June 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

switching to 8v8 will allow for mechs to live longer/play longer. Turning a corner to have 12 blow a torso off instantly is not fun. Not to mention it should make hit reg/detection better since there is loss of a load on the system (or at least I am hoping), and reduced queue wait times.

While we are going back to how it was, can we also bring back Predator vision? that was the best.

If you’re turning a corner to face 12 mechs:

1- you’re doing it wrong. That’s what scouting is for
2- turning a corner to face 8 mechs is still instant death

#83 Gazbeard

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPSR Tier 6

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

I say NO ... put the dev-time into a decent tutorial system that helps players to contribute in battles straight out of the Academy.

And especially include in the tutorials the importance of voice comms - use voice recognition for cadets to tell AI lance mates which square to go to, or have AI mechs warn the player of a spotted mech - teach them how to call targets and dangers, but most of all - don't let them complete the academy without verified voice comms capability.

#84 SHD2

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFrance, Toulouse

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostA_Velociraptor, on 06 June 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

I would love to return to 8v8, less mechs on the field means a lot of good things. More stable framerates due to less mech parts needed to be handled(which we all know is the biggest drain on resources),

buy a decent computer

#85 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

YES PLEASE! 8v8 for quickplay!

Less taxing this resource hogging unoptimized game is, more players can play it without significant fps issue. Other benefits such as matchmaking is also significant.

View PostSHD2, on 06 June 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

buy a decent computer

I have far better than average gaming PC that can play 2016-2018 games on high graphics without issue, but only in MWO it has periodic framerate issues. MWO is the problem, and 8v8 can alleviate it.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 June 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#86 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

I'm all for 8v8 if PGI is really able to put some time into the other game modes. Face it, Solaris was a flop, and Faction was something that could have defined the game, yet after 3 years of splashing in a puddle also ended up a flop.

Other things also need to be taken into consideration - matchmaking, "PSR/Tier System/Pilot EXP Bar", the amount of matches needed to gain SP (12v12 is excruciatingly slow for any average player who clocks 400 damage with 1SP-ish a match), the amount of C-Bills gained a match, and the team composition and weight variance in the match.

I could go on and on, but can PGI get that right this time around? Who knows. That's a very, very big if.

#87 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

8v8 seems like it will help a lot of issues. I'm in favor of it.

@Paul - you used to do posts like this all the time back in the day. Really missed it, it reminds us all that you guys are active and invested and considering stuff.

Thank you for taking the time.

#88 Stewn

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how the game evolves if we go back to 8v8. I will say this though, it wont be like the old days simple due to all the new mech, weapons and changes they've made through out the years. I personally haven't had any issues with the 12v12 system we have but I am open to change. Worst case scenario it sucks and they revert it back.

Also I feel have the problems we have with the current match maker isn't so much the number of players per game but the pilot rating system, it's not a proper ranking system, it's an exp bar that indicates how much you play. It needs to be less forgiving, I shouldn't go up in rating just cause I got a few hundred damage on the winning team. I do like the fact it recognizes when you do well in a losing game though.

#89 Mechropanzer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

I don't mind this, but this also means you have to redesign the maps as the maps need to be tighter. Maps like Polar Highlands will not work.

Is there a way we can have both 8v8 and a 12v12?

(On a side note, IMO, Polar Highlands is more like a 16v16 LOL)

#90 Ranger Dave

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

1. Maps work fine 8v8 in comp. Just means scouting is more important. Instead of altering drop zones, perhaps stick with the three and randomise which two are used each game? Might encourage better map use. Hell even
2. Population size not going to support 8's & 12's simultaneously. Wait times for 8s so much better in AP
3. Spuds & DCs will have much more impact, but games will on average take less time and the odds of getting the same spud every game go down greatly.
4. Guess i'm going to have to restrict joke builds to when we are all drunk dropping...

#91 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I think 8v8 will really make the game feel empty. The new maps are much larger and work great for 12 v 12. Taking 8 players away from the map will really empty them out and make mechs with supporting equipment much more useless and punish those with non meta builds more. If one mech goes out of position and dies in a 12 v 12, it can still be anyone's game. If it happens in an 8v8 then it's 12% of your team down the drain. With the state of matchmaker and player skills being all over the place, 8v8 will make things much much worse.

It's fine if you want to make competitive or faction 8v8 but please keep quick play 12v12. I don't know the recent hardware survey, but for a near 5 year old game on an older engine I would go out on a limb and say most players rigs can handle it as long as it is properly optimized. If you want tighter lance play, design maps that discourage death-balling and encourage small group play. Recent ones have been better at this.

People have desperately wanted a better faction play experience. It's felt unfinished and unimplemented since day one. People still remember talk about flamers and machine guns being used to destroy infantry. Even if that's not possible anymore the game mode is lacking. Perhaps there could be a way to combine group que with faction play? a pug group could be a few lances of mercs and have totally different gameplay with or against a loyalist group. There are many creative options that can be implemented easily.

Please just don't go back to 8v8 quickplay and if you do, really finish and flesh out faction warfare first.

#92 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostSHD2, on 06 June 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

buy a decent computer

I probably have a better computer than you, but the framerates have been worse no matter what type of computer you have since they changed it to 12 v 12.

On a side note, I wish they would move the North American Server back to Vancouver so I can get sub 80ms ping again, like I used to.

#93 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

Primary problem that most have pointed out: most maps in rotation are designed for 12v12. Some older maps like Canyon do at times feel like sardines in a can on certain routes, but they're usually big enough. A stopgap measure would be to bring back some of the other OG maps like Forest Colony 1.0 / Snow (I really miss them, pretty please).

A mix of 12v12 and 8v8 could work out too, if you can make the matchmaker handle that. 12v12 when possible, 8v8 when short on people, or maybe even the reverse where it forms a 12v12 when it has an 8v8 ready but it sees 8 other loose people on the queue.

If 8v8 is enforced, some ammunition values may be changed to reflect the drastically reduced consumption. That or Piranha accepts that the meta for how much ammo is usually carried might change; the tonnage going elsewhere and the risk of explosion becomes even lower than it already is (poor CASE).

#94 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

Going to 8v8 will make most maps "too big" for timely engagements (specially all the cramped original maps that were made bigger for 12v12), Making matches smaller doesn't really "fix" things like time to kill or better balance matches/skill/team compositions.

On the other hand creating specific maps (or bringing back the old river city/forest colony/frozen city ect) for 8v8 matches and adding it as an option to quick play, that would be interesting...then you could decide if you want to drop in 8v8 matches or 12v12 matches or both. I know this may be tough to pull off with our current (and somewhat declining) population...but more options and more maps might actually help "grow" the population again

#95 a frying pan to the CT

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

I would not prefer the move. All the big stompy robots out together is what brought me into this game. And I think a smaller team size will lead to less variety of interesting situations and less likelyhood of seeing similar weight mechs group up and take on a role in the match together. I love the story of it all. After a good match I like to enjoy thinking back over the ups and downs, who did what and where did the battle turn, like your are reading a little story of some minor battle in the annals of the history of the inner sphere. Full 12 on 12 makes a grander story.
More mechs is cooler.
But I also just really enjoy the game and it takes me back to the card game as a kid, and I will adapt to and be fine with whichever way this goes.

#96 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

It has begun.

Remember folks, vote, vote, vote.

#97 quackdudey

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOn the Touge

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

8v8 will make it easier to carry bads.

I'm down.

#98 ImperialCrusader

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

View PostGazbeard, on 06 June 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

I say NO ... put the dev-time into a decent tutorial system that helps players to contribute in battles straight out of the Academy.

And especially include in the tutorials the importance of voice comms - use voice recognition for cadets to tell AI lance mates which square to go to, or have AI mechs warn the player of a spotted mech - teach them how to call targets and dangers, but most of all - don't let them complete the academy without verified voice comms capability.

Not me, but some people dont even try tutorials, can't remember if MWO tutorial is unavoidable have been playing before the tutorial existed, and if you add more stuff there, i don't know if it is going to be that useful

#99 Myj

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 47 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

I personally liked the idea of being able to queue either 12v12 or 8v8 for quick play but not sure I'm a fan of just switching it completely.

#100 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

I voted No, but I'm willing to try it on the PTS or for a 1 week test period.
You could even make it a big promotion with e-mail notifications to everyone, an event, etc. to draw more people in... and then throw up a poll at the end of the week.

Did you play at least 10 8v8 matches? Y/N
If Y, Do you prefer 8v8 over 12v12? Y/N/Don't care

The problem is "What do you do if it's 45/45/10?"

The answer might be to go on a quarterly rotation...but that's probably too complicated.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users