Making Solaris Great Again: Suggestions For A Better Game Mode

Solaris 7 Dirty Legging Queue Time

37 replies to this topic

#21 rawasch

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostYondu Udonta, on 11 June 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

PGI invested so much effort in Solaris yet somehow it fails.

It fails because it has not been properly tested and polished before launch. Had they run a test server or at least asked for feedback on their plans I am sure many problems (such as queues, load times and misc bugs) could have been prevented. Like this they overshadowed the launch and I am sure drove quite a few players away who gave S7 a try. The queue time increase was the final nail in the coffin and from the roadmap it does not look like they are planning any big changes....

#22 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 10 June 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

Like I said if you outweigh someone don't be surprised if they go for legs.

Tonnage was even.

Just the usual case of someone spouting one thing here and doing another... See it all the time Posted Image

View Postrawasch, on 11 June 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

It fails because it has not been properly tested and polished before launch. Had they run a test server or at least asked for feedback on their plans I am sure many problems (such as queues, load times and misc bugs) could have been prevented.

Still won't fix the core issue - Playerbase.

Most of it just isn't that good at the game. So they get wrecked by better players and thus give up. This is why Solaris died so fast, not because of a few bugs and a pretty poor balancing/division setup. Simple case of not understanding the playerbase.

You see a bunch of the people complaining about things here and yet they are running a Med with SSRMs taking on a Heavy mech and getting absolutely obliterated by direct fire.

Nothing can save you from yourself.

If you wanted Mechdads to open wallets - Fixing Faction Play was/is and always will be the way.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 June 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#23 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:32 PM

AV3 ([color=#959595]

When Solaris was first announced I was extremely excited for the game mode. When Solaris was launched, I absolutely LOVED the game mode and was playing it constantly with the 60-second queue time and enjoyed the gameplay although I did feel the payouts were a little subpar, especially in the XP line because you weren’t getting the opportunity for as many “extras” (Solo Kill, KMDD, Scouting, etc.) like you did in QP. The game mode to me was exciting, despite running into what I considered to be sub-par tactics (dirty leggers) and I really hoped it would continue.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I played it when it came out was fun for a few matches then I started to get wiped out by players in lights hugging my mechs nut sack and machinegunning or laser vomit until it was just stupid gameplay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rawasch (PGI invested so much effort in Solaris yet somehow it fails.) that's because its no fun to play and like all things PGI balance of any kind goes out the window. I just don't understand after 5 years of developing MWO they have learned nothing at all PGI could have made Solaris fun and MWO also but there idea of a making MWO and all game modes into a E-sport game has just ruined this BattleTech/MechWarrior game beyond repair with out changing leadership or staff.

Edited by GBxGhostRyder, 11 June 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#24 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:29 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 June 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

If you wanted Mechdads to open wallets - Fixing Faction Play was/is and always will be the way.

I hope PGI opens their eyes before the game dies out.

#25 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:20 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 03 June 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Having said that it is very sad to see how small the numbers playing it are, and the 3 minute wait timer where you cant do anything else at same time is not helping(except when the game bugs out and lets me go into mech lab while in queue (so it is POSSIBLE!!!)). Need 1 minute queue timer, but with a ssr raquirement of within 200 1st minute, within 300 2nd minute and anything at 3rd minute, if it cant find you someone else in the "anything phase 3rd minute" it finds someone at 2nd minute or failing that 1st minute.

PGI can make it best 2-out-of-3 with the same opponent. More time playing, less time waiting.

#26 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostOld dirty B, on 03 June 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

This would improve Solaris big time! This information about your opponent removes so much varieties and possibilities and automatically pushes both players in a default approach and tactic.

It wouldn't. It only benefits brawlers, who anyway try to rush and hug you as fast as they can.

#27 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

"ELO Penalty for “Dirty Legging - One of the behaviors/tactics used be a number of Mechwarriors is the practice of “legging” an opponent, winning through focusing on a mech’s legs. While some of this is accidental, the majority is purposeful and undoubtedly displeases the Solaris crowds as much as it does the honorable Mechwarriors."

Fair fights are for suckers!

"PGI can make it best 2-out-of-3 with the same opponent. More time playing, less time waiting."

Not a bad idea but what if your opponent leaves before the third match, has to log out due to time or RL?is it an automatic win?

"Still won't fix the core issue - Playerbase."

Amen! they need to fix current game mods and stop splitting their player base.If nothing else they need to invest in some basic bot AI so people can just play without a 20-45 min wait. I've switched to Warthunder after about five minutes. You can have all activities you want but if people can't play it because there is not enough players, no body plays. WOWS, Warthunder just fill the holes with bots after like 5 min. Yeah you can tell the bots because they just rush aggressively but you can play the game and still have fun with the handful of players.

Edited by Popcat, 15 June 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#28 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Dump Sol 7 and focus on FP; it's the best way to fix the flop Sol 7 was destined to be (and confirmed when looking at the active player base).

#29 G a i s u t o

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

RIP Solaris, this is a massive online player game, we want tons of stompy robots against more stompy robots...
Russ thought Solaris was a great idea, so as always it wasn't Posted Image

Edited by The Excavator, 17 June 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#30 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostThe Excavator, on 17 June 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

RIP Solaris, this is a massive online player game, we want tons of stompy robots against more stompy robots...
Russ thought Solaris was a great idea, so as always it wasn't Posted Image

It's great when you are busy or have a spotty connection/low bandwidth. I have been using it to practice my ER PPC aim with my Awesome. Posted Image

Edited by Elizander, 18 June 2018 - 05:41 AM.

#31 Mechwarrior8985372

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Im really enjoying this 1v1 mode, got myself a solaris 7 pak a anni 2A and a k2, just wish I had a div 6 and 7 mech, wish queue was busier and wish xp gain was faster, not having to deal with bad players , selfish players and trolls but a battle of individual ability + mech lab + skill tree is great fun for me.

#32 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

View PostSmokedJag, on 03 June 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Maybe one minute rolling que in general, up to two if no opponent within 200 ELO is found. Wide disparity matches aren't fun for either party. New players don't like being stomped and higher tier players don't need to chase 4 points with a potential loss of > 25 if they run into a hard counter.

Make it 2 of 3 falls (award Cbills etc. for all rounds). Increases play time for que time, undermines cheese.

A "junk" division and a "super heavyweight" or "unlimited" division are fine but the five intermediate ones all gravitate towards using either the most heavily armored AC boat or a counter to that. Four split by weight class would be better with an option to que for a higher/any opponent. So new divisions would be:

Div1: Best performing 'Mechs (the current D1 list is a fine starting point)
Div2: Assault.
Div3: Heavy.
Div4: Medium
Div5: Light
Div6: Bum fights.

Bad assaults can be relegated to the heavy division based on data.

AT LAST SOMEONE SAYING THE SAME THING MOST "NORMAL" OLD MECHWARRIORS PREFER. EACH CATEGORY HAVING ITS OWN DIVISION AND ONE MIXED "UNLOCKED" IF YOU ACHIEVE 10 VICTORIES ON THE OTHER WITH 12 PEOPLE GOING ALL FOR ALL>

I would add: better arenas with obstacles and environmental hazard for the camper *******.

Edited by Alexandros, 20 July 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#33 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

Having a hard time even having a rational discussion when we're using one person's idea of "good" or "bad" and that really depends on, "against what?"

And this depends on which level of play we're talking, and with what scoring system? (the scoring system is broken, worst tournament scoring design I've seen, and I've seen many, last season was akin to what Command and Conquer had, after they'd made changes so the system wouldn't be "as" exploited, so last season .... pretty good. This scoring system, it's a perversion to even call it "scoring" I can't imagine they didn't fail on purpose. This is worse than the first iteration of C&C ladder, and that was 20 years ago. We've given these people millions of dollars, and this is what they do to a decent Season 1.... They need to address this, or they're going to lose another large chunk of their player base.

Oh well.... I came back after a 3 year break. Thought they had changed, while S1 was good. I mean, I bought an expensive new video card, more ram, played 2000 matches last season, finished 10th overall. Pretty good for an old player who sharpened himself back up, mostly in Solaris, kept me away from the toxic pug community.

Was thinking, hmm... Maybe a gaming monitor, new keyboard, mouse... These things, these fractions of a second make a difference, especially playing against the other top guys...

I can't say the Competitive 1v1 matches aren't there.... They just might as well put random names on the scoreboard though, it doesn't represent what's going on in there.... You can have a division where #1 guy is 6-0 and won't have to play for 89 more days, possibly, here I am, 18-5 or something, and I played tired the first night, thinking, I want to see it, I think they might have broken the scoring at the beginning again, so, any losses will be offset by the massive multiplier applied to gains, and I still win most fatigued. Little did I know the multiplier only applied to 10 matches....

This is so ridiculous... I can't say it wasn't bittersweet to give a guy, who is pretty good, he was 2-0.... I'd say, as I'm fresh, he's lucky to win more than 1 out of 5 against me, he picked a good map and, well, it wasn't that close, but maybe he missed a few he shouldn't have..... but I got +5..... He got -100something, and that's gunna hurt later when, if he'd ducked me, he could have up to +400 more points..... Now, after match 10 the max + /- is capped at 30..... welcome to grind city, this system rewards gaming this broken system.... Haven't seen people min/maxing their gains.... and a lot of the top guys from last season (like me) have played their first 10 in most divisions..... Here come people.... I'd be ashamed to use my main account to farm wins from the result of 20 fake email / alt account farmed up ELO accounts.... basically, wait till said division is at 3 seconds with 2 ppl on 2 alt accounts..... drop..... give +200ish to one account for the win..... actually, you could just lose 10 in a row.... this'll put that first free account around 2200 probably.... this'll put it around 1st to 5th place depening on which division right now.... Now, grab a new account again.... Kill that guy 10 times....... repeat, repeat......... How high can you go? Not sure, and there are more efficient ways to farm up fake elo probably, I'm going to get some statistician friends and physics phd friends to help me math the calculus and how long it'll take, but we can see plain as day the exploitability of this system..... And there are different levels... Okay, so you don't purposely drop against a free win... just make a new account and try and get 4 in a row, doable, if you're real good, even in a trial mech.... Then, have a friend try and kill you in that on that account, and smoke him in your meta on your main account.... well, that'd be more ethical.... Where is the line? Why did you guys do this, the last season the rewards were constant, why make the first 10 matches prohibitively rewarding / punative????

I've been dropping only in the first division, because I want to play, and I missed the opportunity there, obviously.... You gotta understand the scoring system after 10 matches.... it's + 30 max or -30 min... but it's based on the difference in elo between you and your opponent.... And after like 500 point differences, which were not common last season.... Now there are people, just beat one 14 matches in, he was 7-7 with 1204 eol I'm 18-4 with 1875... Yeah, I got +1 he got -1..... That guy won half his matches and is in a hole it might take hundreds of matches to dig himself out of..... While there are #1 ranked players with 6 matches and 2200 scores...... If he beat the 2200 guy, well, because the 2200 guy is under his first ten, lord knows how far he would drop, but those points don't correlate anymore.... see in the old system, if you saw +3 on your screen for the win, he only lost 3.... conversely, a loss to an opponent with that gap, would have been a -27ish say for you and +27 for him..... That poor guy who, way in the hole.... If he somehow beat the top guy.... well, being the top guy used to require skill, who knows, he's played 6 matches, could be he got lucky, could be he didn't leave it to luck and cheated (not sure how punishable, but it is easy in an empty queue to drop against a buddy, wait till 1 sec, hit launch, and if there's no one else trolling, you fight.... Let's not worry about trolling, while possible, not worth discussing in terms of the worst point system design I've ever fathomed) That 1204 guy, if he beat the top dude, he'd get 30 points..... so now he's 1234....... Might as well quit playing, not his fault whoever designed this, not going to pontificate what/if this person, maybe it was someone's cat or dog... And that 6-0 2300 #1 guy, you think until anyone passes him he is motivated to play and risk losing???

How is this a good system, unless it was their design to steer people away from playing the game.... I'm baffled.... These guys get pad millions to do this.... And they're going to be using whatever thought went into this to try and sell us MechWarrior 5..... I'd really like to see them fix this, start making good decisions.... I'll play around in Div 1 for a while and hope for the best, but can't say I'm going to be spending any money on any PGI product until they deliver a quality product, and not sure I'm gunna wait around for another 88 days if this is what they're gunna go with in this abortion of a season.... I look at that scoreboard, I know who the good guys are, I've had some good matches with them, scratching my head where these other folks came from....

Guess the 1v1 mode found a way to give out participation trophies at the expense of those of us who wanted to test our mettle and earn what we got.

...can't see this helping their bottom line. This is bad for business guys...

#34 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Actually, what if solaris existed without a ranking system? Just a "steam off" of duels with rewards the more you play? Ranking and stats brought us here transcending a fun game to a nightmare for the average player.

#35 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Only Putin can make Solaris great again! Where are you, our shirtless hero?

#36 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

I waisted my exploit window (first 10 matches) in Season 1. This scoring system punishes fair play and The only thing wrong with Solaris is the Scoring system. It's easily exploited.... No way #1 on any leaderboard should be able to be in first place with 6 games played....

I can't believe there aren't more folks realizing this. I dropped in Division 1 before we figured out how BROKEN and EASILY EXPLOITABLE this is. No one should be 1280 SSR, because of big changes that are now capped at + or - 30 per match now with 7 wins and 7 losses.....

How should a division leader after two days still be in first when he's played 6 or less matches.... Could be random, but the numbers will get higher and more ridiculous until someone figures the formula and manipulates it to the limit, if there is one....

2300 with 6 wins 0 losses, and I think that example wasn't cheating (just wait)

Or better yet, fix it.... sheesh....

How about a ladder system, like we had 2 days ago, that while perfect, wasn't garbage?

...hadn't played for years, saw how they could improve for S2, forgot how PGI has this habit of making things worse.

Fix it guys, you're losing paying customers every day you don't.

#37 AnarchyBurger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

-3v3 with matchmaking, hell even giving the 2v2 matchmaking.
-Simplify the tiers... Too many of them. Possibly add a option to play above your tier, with better win bonus?
-FFA brawl mode. Cause that would be beautiful.

#38 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 03 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Legging is a viable tactic if you are out tonned.

Or if you know the big boy you are fighting skipped leg armor to bulk up on weapons. Can’t tell you how many times I took out fatties with my Nova Cat when I saw my first salvo turned their leg red. On King Crabs I don’t bother because there is no way to miss that huge CT. Even with it’s extra armor.

OP - I might be behind something if the following were implemented with it.
#1 - Change Divisions so that you don’t see such difference in tonnage, or move to a different system of matching chassis.
#2 - Limit how much leg armor can be stripped.

Since we know neither of those will be addressed, going to continue to leg where I see it to be necessary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users