Solaris Dead Already?

57 replies to this topic

#41 catsonmeth

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Solaris, at least the way it was implemented, was a really, really bad idea. Why? Because it's no ******* fun unless you're really good. Theres absolutely no draw for newer players. And it's generally poorly designed.

We already have Faction Play and Comp Play for skilled people. That's more than enough. There's no casual game mode except for QP, and even that's split into tiers.

If PGI would get its head out of its *** and shift focus onto making a fun game instead of a ****** esport for milking whales, they might have a halfway decent business model.

#42 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:15 AM

Since they made the division list worse and have said that there's going to be full three months until the next change, PGI has killed Solaris. That division list and how it developed since release shows how little they understand their own game.

#43 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

I have received 200 000 GXP and lots CB as a reward. Its not dead lol not even close.

To have fun with S7 you need to have several mechs in diffirent divisions. if you hit the wall in one division, just switch to another one and come back later.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 18 July 2018 - 01:37 AM.

#44 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

View Postcatsonmeth, on 17 July 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

Solaris, at least the way it was implemented, was a really, really bad idea. Why? Because it's no ******* fun unless you're really good. Theres absolutely no draw for newer players. And it's generally poorly designed.

We already have Faction Play and Comp Play for skilled people. That's more than enough. There's no casual game mode except for QP, and even that's split into tiers.

If PGI would get its head out of its *** and shift focus onto making a fun game instead of a ****** esport for milking whales, they might have a halfway decent business model.

My dude, if QP weren't split into tiers, it would be a total cluster f*** with the skill difference between players. The thing with S7 is that it exposes uncomfortable truths about people's perceived vs actual skill. You often hear the complaint that x mode isn't fun, but "fun" for most people boils down to either winning a lot, or having the game not care about winning at all and just vomiting loot boxes on you every hour or so. The former is possible only if you are good, and the latter is a crap system. So I'm interested in your idea of how, exactly, S7 is going to be made "fun" for you?

#45 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Reduce the damn wait time to 15 seconds, minute max, and the mode will instantly be less dead.

#46 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 19 July 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Reduce the damn wait time to 15 seconds, minute max, and the mode will instantly be less dead.

They finally have an event going, so we shall see if that helps but the mode is definitely niche. 7 divisions is perhaps a few too many, and although I've yet to play this season, I'm unsure about how the 'Mech shifting between divisions is going to help. Playing the devil's advocate for catsonmeth, perhaps the mode does need more razmataz - like a random sponsor challenging you to play a certain way in a particular chassis for x games for a particular reward?

#47 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

There are tricks to Solaris i find.
  • First and foremost in anything other than an assault and especially in the lower classes build your mechs fast and agile.
  • Secondly DPS rules. Dakka first and SRMS and MRM's next.
  • MRM's are very viable due to their excellent ammo and typical close range and goes with point two of high DPS
  • Don't over ammo a mech take just enough ammo to kill one mech this saves tons for more speed, firepower and armour
  • Be careful with heat, with no cool shots a shutdown can be very much a headshot on a plate. which of course leads to.
  • .....Flamers O.K. PGI saw this one coming but there are mechs out there with a gluton of energy hardpoints. Hunchback 4P for example
  • That being said DHS can play a trick here some mechs are actually better with boating SHS banshee 3M being one them with some pulse lasers plus they have the added bonus of crit padding and faster heat loss.

#48 Sharla

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:59 AM

Solaris Division is a design that needs a revamp of the mechs and tonnage. You know something is wrong with design when 90% the top 100 players are using similar mechs with minimum variant.
I suggest a revamp like the following:
Div 1. Everything goes. 100 tons to 20 tons. Ani and Fleas all involved.
Div 2. 95-25 tons.
Div 3. 90-30 tons.
Div 4: 80-30
Div 5: 70-30
Div 6: 60-40

In the above case, every players will have a scissors, paper, stone involved in their matching. No single mech to rule them all.

Starting area of maps:
1) Start in 3/5 of the map. So that there will be no border hugging during start.
2) Any mechs that hit the border takes a dot.
3) Map gets smaller every minute.
4) Elevators are gone when battle begins.

Just my 2 cents.

#49 Fitzmonster

• Pip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

I can't have consumables? I haven't figured out a winning build or any strategy. And I don't think I've won more than 3 times. Screw it. I'm only dropping PUG because I hope they have the good sense to keep it open.

#50 Jussup Von Zeidel

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:04 AM

The Solaris season 2 kick off and rewards was great. However being dropped against some one with 200 matches vs 2 was kinda sad. Is their a Tier Balance in Solaris? if not it needs to be implemented.

Solaris has huge potential, when I got the box set 15 years ago it captured my imagination.

Maybe during the 5 day week or month, people fight over the rights to play championships on weekends with various rewards?

Make it more a league.

Also, maybe have a chat room having pilots discuss battles (pref showing pilots stats as well). So people can challenge each other. So instead of waiting for timers to count down, matches are made through verbal (text) challenges). So a newbie can challenge a champion who's online and see how they fair. And if no one is on. They can keep doing Quick plays and not become bored waiting.

Edited by Horst Draper, 03 August 2018 - 01:12 AM.

#51 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

Solaris is almost dead because its crazy unbalanced and really not fun now if they would just change it to 4 divisions
Assaults
Heavy's
Mediums
Lights
it would be so much better and let you use any mech you own in any of the 4 divisions. I could just imagine how fun it would be to just fighting your own chassis types and not trying to be pissed all the time by face hugging lights when your in bigger mechs.

#52 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

Its going to be a slow hard grind for 25 matches per division... can't even get games during NA primetime

#53 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:04 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 03 June 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

.....we get up to 28 in a single 1v1 div queue when RJBASS, Nuttyrat, Starwolfe and others do it on stream, and...

See those are points that gave PGI completely wrong ideas (maybe because it was the easy the comfortable road too) of a silent majority of players agreeing on how things went with MWO.

NGNG and all the streamers formed a closed circle of claqueurs and yes-mans around them all telling how awsome everything is.

The reality was that all the Battletech and MW fans looked to MWLL and waited for PGI, a professional gameing company to do something that would outclass the mod of some friday evening programmers on basis of an old shooter.

Don't get me wrong there where some promising starting points....but all and everything was stalled after the first 2 steps in a state of perpetual prove of concept early beta state.
MWO overall feels like one of the games of old time where you only ever got the first level demo that fealt awsome but that then never got released.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 August 2018 - 05:07 AM.

#54 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Finally finished 25 matches per division... They really should change back the countdown time to 30s per match rather than this current 2 minute timer...

#55 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

Solaris is fun, maybe 4 divisions, one for each weight class for Clan and IS tech would be much better tho...

Doing it with stock mech would be so funny !

#56 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:32 AM

i really dont get this mode Posted Image
i palyed now 9 rounds. i won one

last round was the worst. with a stormcrow against a much bigger and heavier mech. looked like a victor. didn't know that is possible^^ till now its no fun at all Posted Image but since i want to reach 100% of the achievements...i have to train a lot i guess Posted Image

EDIT: ok now i won with a king crab against a piranha ^^

EDIT2: i think i finally understood this mode :D

Edited by WiNNiep00h, 21 October 2018 - 07:09 AM.

#57 3ull5hit

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 05:00 AM

Dayum, 2021 and I wanted to check why Solaris has no players...

it seems it hadn't any back in 2018 already.

sadface

#58 Gunda93

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:39 PM

yeah, i've been queue on solaris, no ones come. i hope the dev will make a comeback reward for a veteran player, and event for solaris and faction mode. its seems boring play quick play everytime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users