Piranha - The Most Broken Mech In Mwo?

463 replies to this topic

#41 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostCer6erus, on 04 July 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Just bought this mech. My second game with it was some 5 solo kills, 3 of which were a series of legit 1 vs 1's vs (in order) a viper, EBJ, and a mauler. I then proceeded to core out from the rear a Sunspider and an Atlas which were looking the other way, one at a time, in ~8 seconds.... My points are as follows:

No other light mech can 100-0 170 tons of mech in under 10 seconds from the rear.
No other light mech can, with ~1.5 seconds of backstab, strip off an entire ST from the rear or destroy all of the weapons carried on it.
No other light mech has ~12 DPS that is not heat limited, which only increases in damage the moment it attacks structure.
ALL light mechs face the challenge of being one shot (to those who say the PIR is not OP because it can be one shot)
Not all light mechs have the small hitboxes and 150+kph speed that the PIR does.

For the last month or so I thought PIR were the devil. Playing a heavy or assault and instantly losing a ST because even with a perfect reaction the moment you take damage you physically cant torso twist away fast enough. But I wrote it off as a once in a while, I was sloppy, kind of occurrence.

I have maybe 10 games with the PIR so far, and in ~5 of them I have 3+ solo kills... in a 20 tonner... all where the counterplay option for the enemy was literally 0. In maybe 2 out of 10 I have been one shot via streaks or dual Hguass, but both were my fault and would have happened with any other light mech. And in the rest I posted over 1000 damage with 3-5 solo kills.

The rare times I do that in a locust or my ACH, I know I played well. I aimed, strafed, kited, and hard engaged when I needed to perfectly, I earned every point of damage. The fact that you can just walk up behind virtually any mech and kill or cripple it BEFORE IT CAN TURN AROUND in a PIR is ******* stupid. I gave it the benifit of the doubt before I used it, but now I think it needs some sort of (healthy) nerf.

someone honest and objective

#42 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

You mean the player that is going to outperform most of the player base in any mech does really well in a strong mech? Huh who woulda guessed that.

This just goes straight back to this being perceived as a problem because the majority of the playerbase believes all lights should be garbage.

#43 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

You mean the player that is going to outperform most of the player base in any mech does really well in a strong mech? Huh who woulda guessed that.

This just goes straight back to this being perceived as a problem because the majority of the playerbase believes all lights should be garbage.

In that case you're going to have to share your secret with me.

Since you purchased your Piranha, you've spent a lot of time piloting lights and your scoring 70% more kills than you used to.

If it's not the 'mech how'd you manage to git gud in such a short period of time?

#44 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 July 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

In that case you're going to have to share your secret with me.

Since you purchased your Piranha, you've spent a lot of time piloting lights and your scoring 70% more kills than you used to.

If it's not the 'mech how'd you manage to git gud in such a short period of time?

I am sorry but this is a strawman. Why? Simply because most of the light mechs ARE notorious underperformers.
The PIR is surly stronger than most of the class. However, that doesn't mean it is op. Wih a Wolfhound I can get similar damage numbers, however, less kills. Does that mean the PIR is better? Nope, they are different than Wolfies.

A PIR1 is a great backstabber and potato killer. People who have 4 back armour and pay no attention to their surroundings and/or do not invest in crit reduction in the survival tree. It gets more kills because it is also great in finishing off armourless targets (which a heavy could do easily as well).

A wolfhound on the other hand is much earlier a help for his team - but gets less kills usually because of heat issues and not the having the crit seeking abilities of a PIR 1 - which makes him less of a backstabbing potato killer. However, for emphasis: the damage numbers are similar.

As Prototelis said: there is a new light mech which needs watching. The heavy and assault lolalpha tunnel-vision crowd gets uneasy and now they cry for a nerf. I am sorry but that's ridiculous

#45 poltergoost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

In my streak boat, Wolfhounds are much nastier opponents than Piranhas. Wolfhounds can take multiple hits and poke and hide faster than I can lock.

Piranhas are just food. They need facetime for their DPS, which means they get locked and killed in 1-2 salvos. Bye bye fishies Posted Image

If you believe the nerf crybabies, so many different things are OP right now. MGs, Lasers, Gauss, LRMs... PGI really have their work cut out Posted Image

#46 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

I've had the Piranha base pack from when they were introduced. Fun to play, but certainly not OP in my hands or when played by most pilots. However, in the hands of an elite level pilot, the PIR-1 is an OP killing machine. I know this - when I drop in a quick play match and see a top 50 player on the red team, I would much rather them be running any assault mech than a PIR-1.

#47 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

PGI: How's balance right now
Community: Bad
PGI: OK, what should be fixed?
Community: Nerf everything that kills me, buff everything I use
PGI: ... but everyone uses everything and gets killed by everything?
Community: PGI doesn't listen to community feedback!!!
PGI: FFS

#48 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

Jarl's list has me at
99.5% overall
98% this season (skilling mechs)
99.9% for a tryhard assault only season

Your point fails to consider that I can get no where near this level of performance form ANY other light mech thats trying to occupy a similar role. I also don't believe lights are in a bad place. Of course they wont be as good as a medium/heavy/assault because they are not suppose to be. They have other strengths and roles in the game.

My point is that IMO the PIR-1 utterly blows away all other light mechs in the same role, and in a way that is not fun to play or play against. And if I am 'going to outperform most of the player base' I could do it in any light mech, but I can't. Im a heavy/light assault pilot. Lights are hard for me. But the PIR is brainlessly OP

#49 Kyatto

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Wake me up when the piranha isn't bs anymore. Being RNG crit-chanced in the face with full armor was fun for, oh, never. And now that they're everywhere, there's no point in playing anything that isn't it, or something crammed full of LBXs. RIP game.

#50 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:49 PM

It is strong and fun... but not OP.

#51 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 July 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Git GUD? I think you mean barely exceed average, but thanks

To answer your question;

I tried REALLY hard and stopped playing with Sustained Eye Contact and his unit because I felt like I was being carried and not getting any better.

Last season was 99% PIR, season before I played various lights (Urbie, PIR, commando) I got the PIR in the middle of that season and was already trending towards doing better. I end up having higher averages when I mix it up and play a few different things.

This season I've mostly been playing the Flea17 as my light of choice; about the same KD WLR and AMS in lights as the season before.

View PostCer6erus, on 04 July 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Your point fails to consider that I can get no where near this level of performance form ANY other light mech

Yes, the other "combat lights" in this game are really bad. You are good at this game and will probably do well in any mech you play, especially a good one.

I never once denied that the PIR is the best knife fighter in the game.

My stance is that it looks really good because everything else in the light class is really bad.

Edited by Prototelis, 04 July 2018 - 08:46 PM.

#52 Harambe McHarambeface Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

I tried REALLY hard and stopped playing with Sustained Eye Contact and his unit because I felt like I was being carried and not getting any better.

So what you're saying is you got tired of being A True Mechwarriors personal meat shield amirite :D

#53 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:11 PM

View PostHarambe McHarambeface Kerensky, on 04 July 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

So what you're saying is you got tired of being A True Mechwarriors personal meat shield amirite Posted Image

I am really bothered by that.

In the year or so I spent in EYEZ that was never my experience. I was by far their worst performing player during my time with them and they were all extremely cool to me.

Sustained, Jiffy, Darkfield, and all those guys that hang around with them absolutely helped me get better at the game.

What you see in my stats is the end result of applying that knowledge and skill elsewhwere.

Yeah man, SEC can be abrasive, but he doesn't hang people out to dry with his calls.

Edited by Prototelis, 04 July 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#54 Cer6erus

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

My stance is that it looks really good because everything else in the light class is really bad.

If every light mech were able to backstab the way the PIR-1 can, that would be a huge problem. And I personally think lights are fine. They should not be able to go toe to toe with the heavier weight classes, thats the point of having weight classes and different combat roles. Lights harass, cause confusion, hold locks, take objectives, scout, and are super mobile. If you make them strong enough that they can truly solo kill meds/heavies/assaults in a straight up fight, as well as retain their other strengths, there would be no point to play anything else.

#55 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

i bought the 1, 2 and A varients. the 1 was the best of the bunch, and it wasnt that great. kept the 12 mgs and stuck a hml in the center hardpoint for backup. not really that great at chewing through armor. but if you encounter a mech that has an open section its pretty much dead. but i still managed 400+ damage on my first game. i rebuilt the 2 with all ermicros firing in 2 banks. ok as a back stabber but not that great at anything else, very easy to overheat with gh though. got the a varient loaded with heavy machine guns and a hsl. not really that great because the ammo doesnt last long, and the backup is anemic. rebuilds with lmgs for both 1 and a varients are in order, maybe pick less suckey laser options for the 2 and that might help. biggest problem with the pirhana is how damn fragile it is. its a good light but i dont feel its as op as the potato assault crowd would have you believe.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 July 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#56 Mr Steinbrenner

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFreo

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

The bads wrecking face with skilless LRMs and ATMs are far more problematic in the current meta.

#57 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

View PostCer6erus, on 04 July 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

If every light mech were able to backstab the way the PIR-1 can, that would be a huge problem. And I personally think lights are fine. They should not be able to go toe to toe with the heavier weight classes, thats the point of having weight classes and different combat roles. Lights harass, cause confusion, hold locks, take objectives, scout, and are super mobile. If you make them strong enough that they can truly solo kill meds/heavies/assaults in a straight up fight, as well as retain their other strengths, there would be no point to play anything else.

You're mischaracterizing things. I'd wager that if you fought a clone of yourself 1v1, there's no way you in a Medium/Heavy would lose in an actual face-to-face, toe-to-toe fight against yourself in a Piranha.

In the chaos of a team melee, you might get stabbed in the back unawares and die, but that's as it should be. On the flip side of that, you might repeatedly nullify a Piranha's approach attempts and force it to balk because you catch sight of it at range, perhaps then forcing it to take a longer circuitous route that delays its ability to contribute to its team.

Like I said, a Piranha does its work at short range and with extended face time. This gives the target every opportunity to shoot back (unless the "victim" has only LRMs/ATMs). It's up to the opposing pilot to actually land his shots.

I don't have a Piranha, so it's not like I'm defending something I drive. And I've been on both ends of those fights, sometimes winning out when I land my shots, and other times getting wrekt as I miss my shots. Hell, the worst is when a teammate calls for help and I utterly fail to peel the Piranha off of him because I keep missing. But that's 100% because I'm a derp sometimes. When I actually connect on those shots, the Piranha dies in 2 hits. Hell, if the Piranha is busy counter-maneuvering to stay on a teammate, sometimes I've one-shotted them on close-range zero-deflection shots.

#58 Frantic Fire

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

I don't get the fuss tbh.

Posted Image

That Grinner though...

I've had the piranha since it dropped and personally found it's success to be too circumstantial. Cohesive teams with good defense seem to neutralize mg boating fishies with ease, but maybe it's just me lacking the skillset required to unlock it's op potential. Yes it has a higher k/d compared to 3/4 of the other lights in this list, but I'm looking for wins and I just don't feel that it's as effective as ranged harassment with laser poking.

I have made some adjustments on the pir-1 by adding a couple medium heavy lasers making it similar to my shard. I'll have to give it another go and see if I can raise that win/loss ratio.

#59 Harambe McHarambeface Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 04 July 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

I am really bothered by that.

In the year or so I spent in EYEZ that was never my experience. I was by far their worst performing player during my time with them and they were all extremely cool to me.

Sustained, Jiffy, Darkfield, and all those guys that hang around with them absolutely helped me get better at the game.

What you see in my stats is the end result of applying that knowledge and skill elsewhwere.

Yeah man, SEC can be abrasive, but he doesn't hang people out to dry with his calls.

That's why SEC is almost always the last guy alive on the team, with 90% mech intact while the rest of Eyez is dead right? Anyone that's been around for a few years knows no one good wanted to play with SEC, so he formed Eyez to be his personal bodyguard/meatshield.

#60 Talus Luhn

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Personally when I am attacked by a Piranha I end up taking way more team damage from people trying to help me then I do from the Piranha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users