Laser Ams Heat

29 replies to this topic

#1 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

I think laser AMS generates heat a bit on the high side.

even with just one AMS it heats up like you are firing a small laser non-stop

#2 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:46 AM

I put three laser AMS on a Nova and spent probably a third of the entire match shut down. Good times.

#3 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Heatsinks
Tilde toggles on/off
Works as intended (unlimited ammo, seems to work better than reg ams, assisted by range boost)

#4 Abaddun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:01 AM

Just like normal lasers, you must carefully manage your heat. It helps if the rest of your loadout is mostly ballistic focused.

#5 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

The best part of the lams is that laser machine gun sound fx and light show rave. I've over riden and died from lams too. Still like normal ams and rocks for my missile shield. The worst part still is finally getting lrm lock and see a wall of lams fire seeing all those lrm just go poof. Makes all those 20-35 tons for lrms and all the required equipment such a waste you want to do an infield refit to any other weapon. Luckily my lrm boats all have back up lasers except the A1. That one just goes into head butt mode til the xl blows.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

I think they could stand to bring it down to 2 heat.

#7 IIXxXII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostHammerMaster, on 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Heatsinks
Tilde toggles on/off
Works as intended (unlimited ammo, seems to work better than reg ams, assisted by range boost)

Bolded in 1. If laser ams is running hot: shut it down for awhile.

If anyone builds a time machine, travel back in time and inform those who mechs blew up from laser ams heat they can turn it off plz.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

I wouldn't say the heat is too bad, yes it can be a pain, but you just have to remember to toggle it; and budget some additional sinks. I run a dual LAMS panther with an ERPPC, when I'm engaging, switch the LAMS off, otherwise it's on.

Something I'd definitely suggest trying is setting one of your mouse keys to" Toggle Weaon Group", start of the match highlight your AMS (or ECM/Stealth, it works for them to) and your toggle is on hand, use it.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

If memory serves I currently have LAMS on precisely zero 'mechs. The heat feels a bit too high for balance, IMO.

I think it has a niche on 'mechs which are strictly heat neutral otherwise. I'd put it on my Gauss-Jager but it just doesn't have 1.5 tons to spare.

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

Given the same tonnage invested, 1xAMS+1t ammo lasts practically the whole round for 0 heat vs. IS LAMS. AMS is therefore always the better option, because it does exactly the same job better for less risk.

C-LAMS is still on the warmish side, but it compares more favorably against C-AMS since its mount cost equates to 1xC-AMS+0.5t ammo; it offers greater endurance for the same investment, if used wisely.

IS LAMS clearly needs a buff. C-LAMS can probably be left alone.

#11 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

Equipping a LAMS for me is akin to a suicide build - I just can’t do it.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 04 July 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Given the same tonnage invested, 1xAMS+1t ammo lasts practically the whole round for 0 heat vs. IS LAMS. AMS is therefore always the better option, because it does exactly the same job better for less risk.

C-LAMS is still on the warmish side, but it compares more favorably against C-AMS since its mount cost equates to 1xC-AMS+0.5t ammo; it offers greater endurance for the same investment, if used wisely.

Yeah, with IS, since LAMS and AMS+1ton are equal tonnage and slot space, you're effectively trading heat efficiency to eliminate the risk of regular AMS running out of 1 ton ammo, or AMS ammo exploding. Neither happens with any frequency, so just not worth it.

#13 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Considering heat is the limiting factor in most combat laser anti-missile seems stupid, unless you can turn it off in brawl range. Hell you could overheat an enemy using LAMs by firing your LRMs below minimum range.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

i usually only run one lams or a lams in conjunction with standard ams. though most of the time i just dont use ams at all. i dont consider lrms enough of a threat to allocate tonnage to stopping them.

#15 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:34 AM

also fix the no clipping of both AMS, it will stil fire even if there is an obstruction like a wall or a ceiling

that is just lazy programming

#16 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:22 AM

I see almost no reason to take lam when ams +1 ton of ammo will last most games without adding heat being the same weight.

Maybe if lams worked better?

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:03 AM

View Posteminus, on 06 July 2018 - 12:34 AM, said:

also fix the no clipping of both AMS, it will stil fire even if there is an obstruction like a wall or a ceiling

that is just lazy programming

it does save a ray-terrain collision test though. this game really doesnt have enough object complexity for that to matter though.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 July 2018 - 03:03 AM.

#18 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 04 July 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Just for S&G I put 3 regular ams and 6 tons of ammo on my severely underpowered cutefox. Last Polar Highlands I made one shot with my MG and ERSL, ran completely out of (6 TONS!) of ams ammo and ended up with a 206 match score. That's...crazy?

#19 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

Half the current heat and it might be useful.

#20 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

The Laser AMS IS a Small Pulse Laser, it's just been reworked to destroy missiles.
http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System
"[color=#000000]While solving the frequent lament of the ammunition dependent standard system, the disadvantage is that even with the strength of each laser pulse reduced to the minimum required to destroy missiles, the heat build-up is much more significant."[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users