The Undisputed Champion Pre-Order Is Here!

126 replies to this topic

#101 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Dang! For a minute there I thought PGI had come out with their version of MechTek's MW4 ARES... But dang, this is an Inner Sphere Mech.... And anyhow it would not be the same with PGI's massive Jump Jet Nerfs.

If only PGI had MW4's Jump Jets mechanics with ramp vector Inertia, no silly air braking and single G gravity....... So sad.

O well, I might just get the Champion Hero and pretend. It has some of the some geometry.
MekTek Ares:
http://clanjadefalco....php?title=Ares

BTW PGI, you ought to consider MW4's Tenchi IS mech. That was a fun mech too.
MekTek Tenchi:
http://www.sarna.net...Tenchi_(MekTek)

#102 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Is this what the champions hardpoints will be like? (using the 2n as a reference)
Posted Image

Asking because in the art on sarna, it seems that the boxes in red are torso not arms
Posted Image

#103 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

Modernising the design I suppose.... I mean, compare Posted Image
Where the dorsal fin AC5 is considered RT placement... similar to the updated concept art....
Posted Image

Edited by Hemholtz, 12 July 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#104 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Friendly reminder that two variants can do the same thing as an Enforcer does, except grounded. If you can do well in the Trial Enforcer (you should!) then the Champion will probably meet that standard. The equivalent Rifleman has a smaller engine cap but competes for favorable weapon mount height. Need to see what the final hitboxes are though.

#105 Xezar 123

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 19 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

I have to admit that the concept art doesn't do this thing any justice. It make it look like it has weapon hardpoints on the arm while in truth only one variant do, not to mention it appears like a Jenner with arms or in that case Owens with the arms replaced. It looks good in MW3.

#106 Genesis23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 227 posts
  • LocationKanton Bern, Switzerland

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:25 AM

not that interesting to me, althou the hero paintjob looks awesome. looks kinda like the small brother of a nightstar, which is not a very good thing considering there are almost no nightstars to be seen on the battlefields.

#107 xSONOHx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts
  • LocationEarth (Terra)

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

T-pose attack!

#108 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

View PostXkrX Dragoon, on 12 July 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Is this what the champions hardpoints will be like? (using the 2n as a reference)
Posted Image

You're putting ballistics in the arms. The points will be in the lower right of the CT or the wing box will expand or both.

#109 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 July 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

You're putting ballistics in the arms. The points will be in the lower right of the CT or the wing box will expand or both.

Did you actually look it over and take 10 seconds to do your homework or make any sense of what i am saying?
All of the art, besides the mwo art, places weapons in those ports, meanwhile the weapons in those places are registered as being in the site torsos. Meaning.....that in all senses before mwo, those spots count as torso....because the champion has quirks for no-minimal arms....meaning the champion, doesnt really have arms...

#110 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

every IS mech that doesn't have weapon hardpoints in the balls is welcome

#111 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

Asking because in the art on sarna, it seems that the boxes in red are torso not arms
Posted Image

The arms are supposed to look like in the TRO art on Sarna, because the Champion had LAM variants and the arms were the wings. Also, the legs on the original artwork look much better.

#112 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Got collector pack, looking forward to MW5, HBS's DLC and having some lols in Champion Mech.
PGI's concept art has arms that are too long.
I hope PGI's arms will be short like in original artwork, where arm tips don't go past the nose of the Mech...
Posted Image

Edited by Max Rickson, 13 July 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#113 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 13 July 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

The arms are supposed to look like in the TRO art on Sarna, because the Champion had LAM variants and the arms were the wings. Also, the legs on the original artwork look much better.

For the sarna art i posted there, the weapons in terms of slot location atleast, are torso mounted. Which is why im trying to figure out if the weapons will be mounted in a similar way on champions with more than 1 ST weapon, since right now in the concept, the only visible weapons are an srm and autocannon, and the CT lasers.

Im hoping they do it that way, but im trying to get an answer, because i have little interest in the mech if 90% of the variants just have massive useless bricks on the side of the mech.

#114 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

View PostXkrX Dragoon, on 13 July 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

For the sarna art i posted there, the weapons in terms of slot location atleast, are torso mounted. Which is why im trying to figure out if the weapons will be mounted in a similar way on champions with more than 1 ST weapon, since right now in the concept, the only visible weapons are an srm and autocannon, and the CT lasers.

Im hoping they do it that way, but im trying to get an answer, because i have little interest in the mech if 90% of the variants just have massive useless bricks on the side of the mech.

I just think it is a stupid looking Mech. Normally I love what Alex does with the old designs, but this time, it just looks like he is trying to hard to make it easy for the modelers to be able to re-use graphics assets.

And those wide-spaced arms are horrible, just like the Nightstar. No one would make a war machine like that in real life.

I am biased though, I was hoping for the Crusader.

Edited by Ed Steele, 13 July 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#115 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostXkrX Dragoon, on 13 July 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Did you actually look it over and take 10 seconds to do your homework or make any sense of what i am saying?
All of the art, besides the mwo art, places weapons in those ports, meanwhile the weapons in those places are registered as being in the site torsos. Meaning.....that in all senses before mwo, those spots count as torso....because the champion has quirks for no-minimal arms....meaning the champion, doesnt really have arms...

Sighz... if you're right, might be refund time. Will wait until quirks but this is a massive handicap.

Though I would be HIGHLY amused if only the wing tips are arms. Just imagine it wiggling up and down LOL

Edited by Nightbird, 13 July 2018 - 11:11 PM.

#116 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 11 July 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

The side torsos are symmetrical. The missile mount and the gun mount however, are not. The gun mount is narrower, and offset further out so their outer edges both meet the base of the arms in the same place.

Based on how Mark describes it, they are arms though.

#117 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:19 PM

Posted Image

Also please note that there are two ST laser points right beside the CT

Posted Image

#118 GTKA

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:30 AM

Maybe its because I have had no knowledge of MW until a year ago, i would say that I much prefer the modern art as opposed to the old art. I say this for all the mechs. While the old art has that nostalgia to a lot of you folks, the older art looks a lot more bulky and awkward. I mean take a look at the marauder pic, the arms are lower than a grannys cleavage and the ballistic HP is a good 2-3 meters above the mech. With the champion its a lot more sleek and narrow, but I would prefer a style similar to the older legs than the grasshopper like legs the champ has.

#119 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

@GTKA: I'm honestly okay with the updated art regardless. Alex loves BattleTech, and he does always manage to keep the spirit of the old designs too.

@Nightbird: those could be headlights too.

#120 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

Alright I went and looked up the MW4 version of the Champion and the MWO version is an upgrade from that one. I just think the thing that bugs me the most is how straight the legs are and that makes the Mech stand much taller than the older versions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users