Faction Play - A New Hope (Pgi Taking Input)

1163 replies to this topic

#181 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 August 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Legit Paul - This is some of the best insight into MWO I think I've seen in my 3 years.

Totally explaining the restrictions here makes it much, much easier to give suggestions. All I can say is, please, continue explaining restrictions that limit certain ideas/suggestions and we can head to other ideas/thoughts that way.

Logged in for the first time in possibly years to quote and second this. THANK YOU. This is the type of communication that increases my confidence that issues are at least getting looked into.

#182 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

Item: VOIP in lobby prior to drop.

VOIP is instanced when the people on both teams are sent to a dedicated server. This is the load you see which turns into being inside a drop ship. This whole process happens AFTER the team matching/lobby state. That is why there's no VOIP in the lobby as it currently stands. I can look into an investigation for this suggestion, but can't promise we can change it.

Edited by Paul Inouye, 03 August 2018 - 05:26 PM.
That guy creativeabyss posted while I was typing this!

#183 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Balance Podcast Update: Release will be Tuesday morning.

FP Podcast: Still scheduled for recording early next week.

#184 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

Here's a quick list of stuff that can be done pulled from comments here:

- Increase health in Incursion base buildings
- Higher ticket count in Conquest
- Call to arms timer change
- Game area indicator for Friends List (QP/FP/Comp/Sol instead of just "Deployed")

Investigating:
- More than 4 drop decks
- Removal of certain maps/modes from FP cycle
- Refresh button on Friends List

Those are mostly QoL improvements with a few direct implementations to FP only as the other stuff is a bigger discussion for the podcast.

Do all of thse things, but do nothing to improve the rewards and make the 3 existing playstyle choices more rewarding, then you will do nothing to attract former players or new players to the mode.

#185 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

I really hope that FP improvements will be more than just FP events. FP needs a kick in the pants than what we have now and jumping in for events is not really a strong motivator.

#186 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 August 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

Do all of thse things, but do nothing to improve the rewards and make the 3 existing playstyle choices more rewarding, then you will do nothing to attract former players or new players to the mode.

Who said rewards and choices of interaction were off the table? That list is 2 things. Top, stuff we can definitely do. Bottom, stuff I'll have to look into. The part you're talking about is part of " as the other stuff is a bigger discussion for the podcast."

Just take the edge off a bit... like I mentioned.. I'll be walking through the notes I've been taking on ALL the feedback posted here and discuss/break it down.

:)

View PostWill9761, on 03 August 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

I really hope that FP improvements will be more than just FP events. FP needs a kick in the pants than what we have now and jumping in for events is not really a strong motivator.

Same goes for you! Bigger discussion! :D

#187 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

Well if you don't solve the issue of major units switching sides and changing the course of FP then really it's all meaningless. I'll still enjoy the drops but the progress, I couldn't care less.

#188 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Who said rewards and choices of interaction were off the table? That list is 2 things. Top, stuff we can definitely do. Bottom, stuff I'll have to look into. The part you're talking about is part of " as the other stuff is a bigger discussion for the podcast."

Just take the edge off a bit... like I mentioned.. I'll be walking through the notes I've been taking on ALL the feedback posted here and discuss/break it down.

Posted Image

No "edge" at all. Merely opinion and advice.
You stated "stuff that can be done" but did not indicate there were others from what has been proposed. If rewards are on the list, it is good. But they weren't and my psychic powers aren't what thet used to be.

Edit: Phoneposted 3 times...wtf?

Edited by Bud Crue, 03 August 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#189 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Quit clicking "Post" repeatedly! hehehe

Hey.. it's Friday

Edit: That being said... I'm out for the weekend. But will compile the feedback so far plus anything else that gets posted over the weekend and discuss on the Podcast.

Thanks to everyone posting so far. Keep it civil with a small flavoring of salt and we can continue this no problemo.

#190 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

I have something that is more of a QoL for the forums/overall MWO more so than just FW.

Is there a way that we could SHARE posts or threads from here to twitter with out just copy and paste of the url? Especially if you are wanting to put something out about a specific post in a thread on twitter or some other social media.

The only reason I bring this up is the use of social media to bring attention to, could be used as a powerful tool to bring in people to check out the game as well as the threads and posts here. Bigger player base is always better for every bucket.

#191 Sedmeister

• PipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 66 posts
  • LocationKuzuu Prefecture, Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

I am going to treat this invitation at face value, ie: I am not going to be cynical, I choose to be excited!

Thanks PGI for inviting input, and thanks Paul for interacting with us in the forums. It means allot.

Thanks ASH for focusing the conversation.

Lots of good stuff here so I will try and keep it brief. My ideas will largely add to what is already here.

1) Control the strategic map attack lanes using clearly articulated and understood out of game mechanics: When one side gets on a roll on the strategic map (normally clan), it can get quite demoralising. If there were some way to put in hand brakes and/or gates on the map with some predictable and understandable out of game logic (clan politics, IS availability of jump ships to get to certain places, out of game truces etc), it makes the movement of the strategic map borders less blitzkrieg like and more Battletech lore like. Consequently one side doesn't feel like they're getting rolled.

2) DON'T reintroduce long tom! Rather... If you are entertaining something like that, I would much rather do it like this. If my side has the long tom advantage, give the unit leader/drop caller unlimited air/artillery strikes (with a cool down of 1 or 2 minutes) so at least the controlling side has some control over the tactical situation and the defender has some chance of anticipating where and when strikes will occur as hopefully it has some kind of logic too it. Maybe let the non LT side see the cool down like you previously were able to?

3) Some mechanism(s) so that we feel that each of the battles are connected and increase our sense of immersion: A number of things have already been mentioned that cover this item.
  • For example, if my unit is defending a base type structure for example, we get the option prior to dropping to use unit MC/CBills to "harden" our defensive position. So if we accumulate a series of victories, we can then spend MC/CBill's/Loyalty Points/Faction Points to make turrets pack Large Lasers instead of Medium Lasers etc etc. Again, what happens in one battle effects subsequent battles.
  • Another example would be if during a campaign one side takes a planet known for manufacturing missile weapons, subsequent battles deny or inflict a penalty on the enemies use of missile weapons and/or amount of ammunition?
4) Incursion for immersion: I confess, I hate incursion. It breaks immersion. In no real life scenario or in and fictional context I have watched/read about, do two opposing forces build such significant military installations so close to each other. It makes more sense that one side is the defender and the other the attacker. Can Incursion in FP be altered in this way?

5) Clan/IS Balance: This is still being worked out in MWO. However in lore, clan simply had superior tech but inferior doctrine/tactical imagination. Is it possible to leave clan having an advantage in tech (again, immersion is key here for me) but do something like:
  • 2 clan stars (10 mechs) versus 3 IS lances (12 mechs) (reflecting lore), and/or,
  • Heat on hot maps adversely effecting clan mechs more than IS mechs (not quite lore, rather an MWO attempt to balance that we simply continue to develop in the context of FP), and/or
  • IS can dynamically choose spawn points whilst clan has fixed spawn points (simulating clan inflexible tactical thinking), and/or
  • Clan can't use in game VOIP but must rely on typing instructions (to simulate inflexible tactical thinking and ego often associated with individualistic clan culture), and/or
  • IS get's to choose the map type (simulating IS tactical/strategic flexibility and cunning) and/or
  • Etc etc. You can figure out what I am trying to say here yeah?
6) Meaningful unit coffers/CBills: Could the unit use the coffer to purchase upgrades? For example, could we use CBill's in our coffers to:
  • Purchase improved drop ships? During in game respawn, they have heavier weapons and hang around a little longer to help deter spawn camping.
  • Purchase improved sensors? Each time the units dropship enters the field we get a 3 second radar?
  • Repair and rearm: I know that Paul has already mentioned the difficulty associated here, however it can be simulated by quicker respawning?
  • Etc etc...
I will stop now. Looking forward to what develops.

Edited by Sedmeister, 03 August 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#192 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

I thought I mentioned the issues with a unit inventory system and after going back through all my posts.. I didn't.

The idea isn't a problem. It's something we discussed very early on in development. The technological impact/development time on backend systems is the problem. [insert picture of that guy with fuzzy hair holding his hands apart]... the backend systems that control player inventory/store purchases/transaction services/player profile data etc is a massive nest of hardwired connections. While this may seem like something that is just as simple as adding a database row to the Unit ID, it's really a lot more than that.

Let's walk through the notion that you want to buy a 'Mech for a Unit's Inventory.

Issue 1: Who's buying the 'Mech? Simple answer.. Unit Leader. Well, here's the problem... the backend services says player "Uber General Leader Guy" has just bought a Urbie K9. I'll put it in his inventory. Well that's no good.. it has to go into the Unit Inventory. There's no itemID injection path for this behavior.

Issue 2: Did Uber General Leader Guy buy it himself out of his pocket? Did you want to use Unit Coffer Money? There's no interface or transaction path (both store and the actual currency tracking/payment system) for this decision tree either.

Issue 3: Who owns the 'Mech? UnitID owns the 'Mech! UnitID does not have an inventory like a PlayerID does. On top of that, CSRs will need detailed audit information for who bought it, for what Unit, what currencies were used, time of transaction etc etc.

Issue 4: Player behavior issues/politics. You are in Unit "Smash Them All" and everyone has donated CB to buy new player "I Equipped 4 TAGs" a 'Mech he can use. The 'Mech is purchased and somehow the new guy is able to add the 'Mech to his own inventory yet still not own it. (This is another cluster of data handling that would be horrible to implement). Uber General Leader Guy decides it's going to be funny to kick everyone out and sell all inventory for his own CB gains.

Issue 5: PGI Engineers have perfected death stares.

In the above scenario.. that is on the tip of the iceberg when implementing something like this. This is why at this time it is something we cannot address due to development time.

i know the exact amount about coding as i do the amount i know of nuclear physics, so im sorry if the answers i have seem like its coming from someone who has no idea how things get coded but...

Issue 1: There could be 2 solutions to this, no idea how much coding work it would take... but is there a way to treat a "unit mechlab" kind-of-like the normal mechlab? Only the leader/approved officers have access too. it could be a tab under unit coffers? Which is where they build the mechs that they want to be able to basically "purchase" and copy-paste to another unit-members inventory. So the Transaction would go Unit ID-purchased from the in-game store, and you could use the same Alerts system as when you get invited to a unit. it would read like "superawesome unit requests you to use this mech". Then they click accept, and as long as they have the mech-bay for it, it permanently becomes their mech, if they do not have the mech-bay for it, they get an error msg saying you need to buy a mech-bay just like buying a regular mech. Once this person has this mech, it becomes theirs just like any-other mech, HOWEVER, it would be locked, Just like the trial mechs, you cant change the load-out or anything. You can use it any any-mode, Quick play/faction/scouting/solaris. It would just be under a new tab, so you would have "owned" "trial" and "faction warfare" or something of those sorts.

Issue 2: As said in issue 1, There would be a new entire tab, under the unit interface called unit-mechlab, that once you go into this, you no longer pay anything from Your pocket, it comes right out of the unit coffers. And in order to get back to the Leaders Mechlabs/store, he would have to leave the faction warfare tab.

Issue 3: Im not 100% sure what this means, but the entire transaction would be exactally like a regular purchase from any ordinary player, under the new faction warfare mechlab/store tab. It would bascially be like a regular player buying a mech, it would go into the "Player name-Superawesome unit", where you can use your UNITS MC, or UNITS cbills to buy mechs, So say you want 10 Warhammer 6D's. The unit leader would use the MC to buy 10 Mech-bays. He then used the UNITS Coffers to go into the Faction Warfare store, and purchase 10 Warhammers for xxxxx C-bills. Unit "superawesome unit" now can give out 10 Warhammers that have been paid for by the unit coffers. Transaction ID-what currency was used-time date etc. Also, once one of those warhammers have been given away, since they purchased 10 mechbays, they now have 1 more mechbay they can add XXXXX mech for.

Issue 4: So, using the new unit store/mech-lab the new player would own the mech, it would be his, forever, 100%. He will just never be able to adjust anyting on the mech, just like the trial mechs. It would forever be what ever it was given to him. Now in-game behavioral issues, Technically unit leaders right now have the ability to Take 100% of the MC that the unit has, and give it to himself. I am 100% un-aware of any unit that has taken planets where this has happened (i could be wrong) (outside i think Merc-Star)? i think?. The easy answer to that would be the Unit leader/officers are not allowed to take out C-bills, they can already take MC so thats a possibility that we have right now that can happen. However the only possibility that i could see happening, in the case you bring up, is The unit-leader spending all the cbills on mechs he wants, and then transferring them all to himself. That is a possibility, However in almost every game i play that has a Guild/Unit/Warband/what ever you want to call it, the Guild/unit/warband leader has the ability to kick everyone out of the guild and take 100% of the guild/unit/warband's coffers. This is a risk World of Warcraft/Starwars Knights of the Old Republic/Warhammer 40k/Everquest/ those are just the games i have played where the Big leader has the ability to kick everyone out and steal all the riches for himself. It may happen in small guilds/units where little are effected, however Say for example, Xavier decided one day to just ban everyone from MS, and steal all of the resources, or Hobbles from BCMC, or whoever leads HHOD/Arc7/Evil/420/JG-X/EMP/D5, there would be a large community out-cry in-game and on the forums. The way you deal with large-scale ones like that, which i think you are referring too, you simply ban the person who kicked everybody and took the Mc/mechs. In the case that he tried to be sneaky, and knowing he will be banned, sends every mech to an alt-account, you will have the normal purchase logs of who the unit leader send the mechs too, and who accepted them. So you could also ban that account, and the currency would never make in to the game. It would suck for the unit-members who donated all of those C-bills, and the way PGI could cover themselves from an angry mob saying its their fault they let this be possible, is add a warning when you donate C-bills, saying that you understand you are donating them to your unit, and you may never see them again, and may not send in tickets to be refunded if one day you decide you don't like the unit anymore. Almost every single unit leader in this game, being a unit leader, sacrifices hours and hours and hours ontop of the hours they play on the game, doing things outside of the game, be it maintaining a website, helping new members in the mech-lab, teaching them how to download teamspeak/discord. The units are like their children, and they would rather see it burn then ever even think of personal profit like that. They put blood sweat and tears building it.

Issue 5: Trust me, You can ask anyone in the game who knows me. On any drunken night my CareBear stare will make your Engineers cower in fear.

Edit: if you have any other concerns on my idea, outside of "we just cant develop that" let me know, like i said at the start i have no idea what it takes to code things like that, so its easy for me to see it, but on your end im sure its way harder than the way im thinking it could be.

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 03 August 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#193 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times. I don't know if it's even possible to dynamically change the look of the dropship when a match starts... but I do have this question... unless you're a 12 man premade from a single unit... who's decals/livery shows on the drop ship?

Wouldn't there be 3 drop ships in a match?

Then it would be as simple as that you need 4 of the same group to flip the camo on the dropship (There is no reason why you couldn't use/unlock this in the group que if it would be workable in FP)

But do they all que up at the same time again and arrive in the same dropship (after getting killed)?
That beats me, at least for now.

#194 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

im definitely for more events. game play is generally better when a bigger set of the population is playing. games are more varied when pugs outnumber units by a large margin. events are really good at bringing that out. not to mention its the only time you get games. they should occur at least one weekend every month.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 August 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#195 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

unit inventory system

Bit spitballing

If you work together with some of those players having thousands of FP drops you could come up with a FP drop deck that is suitable to the specific map (and even mode)
Thanks to the loadout sharing possibility PGI implemented it wouldn't even take that long to get the builds
Having optimal builds in optimal mechs would sort of alleviate the problem

Group wouldn't necessarily "have" to give mechs out, as the FP "trial" mechs are tailored for FP
In a perfect world not just for the map or side (clan or IS), but also the mode

Building on that
For the unit c-bills the group leader could select a standard pattern and color scheme and when a new player joins the group and uses the FP drop deck provided by PGI then those mechs would be painted in the colors and camo the group leader set as standard

Maybe, just a thought

View PostLordNothing, on 03 August 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

im definitely for more events. game play is generally better when a bigger set of the population is playing. games are more varied when pugs outnumber units by a large margin. events are really good at bringing that out. not to mention its the only time you get games. they should occur at least one weekend every month.

But aren't events not a form of increased reward for playing that mode?
Events are nice, but increasing the rewards as a whole would probably also go a long way of "luring" in more players more often?

Hell I'd probably tie increasing rewards (as a percentage; maybe have that bonus always active, like also in QP) to increasing faction lvl

Edited by Peter2k, 03 August 2018 - 07:28 PM.

#196 creativeabyss

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

I wanna say, im a huge fan of the current way the event is being run in regards to its RP elements. just that title and sentence long description is enough to add a bit of that depth I/we have been looking for.

I would say however, that you should not describe the next days event until the previous days event is over. then you can tailor the rp to the ingame results. as of now, kurita is attacking and davions on the defense this whole event, according to the timeline given. instead, id say have the winner of the previous day be the attacker in the next day, and tailor the description accordingly. thatd just give it that last bit of oomph to make it great. don't take this as a knock on the concept though, I freaking love that we know what is being fought over on any given day. and the why its being fought over, even if its just one sentence. I just think that waiting to give the next days objective and letting the previous day effect what is happening to who would increase the flavor.

#197 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 August 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

So basically, post your thoughts/ideas and let's discuss.

The topic
Ghost Drops Or Inner Game

Actual every time

#198 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 August 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

- Game area indicator for Friends List (QP/FP/Comp/Sol instead of just "Deployed")

What about indicating group type when group is in LFG? Faction Play (IS), Faction Play (Clan) would help. So would an indication of a group type when someone sends you a group invite.

Another thing... Ghost drops are painful and take way too much time. What if the drop timer is reduced from 10 min to 5 min?

Edited by Horseman, 03 August 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#199 KingJoo

• PipPip
  • Go-cho
  • Go-cho
  • 34 posts
  • LocationThe air hurts my face, canada

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Spoiler

I wonder if a round about ways of doing it is: players in a unit could mark their mech(s) in their current build in loadout screen as “for rent”, then maybe a pecentage of the winnings per match in a rented ‘mech goes to the mech owner (ie. like consumables are auto paid for and replenished). The select a ‘mech screen could have an extra toggle in the “all-owned-trial” radio toggle, and a rented mech in a match still displays like it currently does in owners select screen (as unavailable “in a match” or whatever it says now).

Politics become an issue or group disbands? Take the mech of rent status (the hanging “for rent” sign is gold now)

#200 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

View PostKingJ00, on 03 August 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

Spoiler

I wonder if a round about ways of doing it is: players in a unit could mark their mech(s) in their current build in loadout screen as “for rent”, then maybe a pecentage of the winnings per match in a rented ‘mech goes to the mech owner (ie. like consumables are auto paid for and replenished). The select a ‘mech screen could have an extra toggle in the “all-owned-trial” radio toggle, and a rented mech in a match still displays like it currently does in owners select screen (as unavailable “in a match” or whatever it says now).

Politics become an issue or group disbands? Take the mech of rent status (the hanging “for rent” sign is gold now)

just read my post, i wrote a short story on how to fix every one of his issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook