Russ Says This Event Has Brought Up Fp Pop 5-6X, Short Term Fix Idea

152 replies to this topic

#61 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 August 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

So let's forget about what you remember from 5 years ago, ok?

The population levels have changes, markedly in fact. At this point is is not possible.

My comment was in relation to that. Not living in the past.

Well you can think what you want but for 3 years MWO has gone down hill fast on player retention and FP has become a ghost town and you want to do another have baked half arses set of things to placate the whiny comp premade teams so they have someone to play against in non stop roflstomp action and just FU the rest of the MWO playerbase.

Here is one word to describe your negativity to a general overall basic fix to FP (Brilliant).

#62 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

Actually the last 2 years it's gone from 38k down to 33k with a dip into 28k and then back up to 32-34k again (per month active based on 10 QQ games played).

It sounds to me like you have no idea what you are talking about. But then you think there is rampant useage if hacks in the game... So that pretty much explains that.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 August 2018 - 03:07 PM.

#63 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostGBxGhostRyder, on 06 August 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

(old irrelevant noise)

People whom I recall seeing in FP within the last 2 months:

[x] Justcallme A S H
[x] Mystere
[x] El Bandito
[_] GBxGhostRyder

And just stop it with the 'big units only want to slaughter pugs in FW!' We don't.

I have more cbills than I can spend, and more MC than I can use on anything that I care about. Faction loyalty and planets are now pretty much meaningless. I know that C4 and HHoD prefer matches against MS, 420, Evil, BCMC, KCOM, ARC7, etc. as these matches present a challenge as a serious/casual group. We know we're not the best, but squeezing out a win against them is a lot more fun that going 48-12 against potatoes. And yes, we get rolled by EMP, GOON, and 228 so I understand it's just no fun when you get roflstomped repeatedly.

We also try to pick up pugs, invite them to our TS and show dem da way. But some people you just can't help.

#64 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

View PostToothless, on 05 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Russ says a lot of things.

All He ever did was mainly listen to idiots who NEVER play Faction Play and took their stupid ideas only. Who in NGNG ever plays Faction Play? Sean Lang and Bombadil never play it. Sean Lang and his 12 man got their asses handed by us back in phase 3 and he never touched Faction Play ever again.

If you had active players who've been playing since Phase 1 and 2 voicing things in, It would've been a whole lot better.

We had pugs who don't do Faction Play asking for "Quick Play" maps in Faction Play. They got it, But still don't Play Faction Play. It forced a lot of people to leave the game.

We had people from Bombadil's unit asking Russ to feature a "tug o war" system we sure as hell didn't need. BTW his unit has never been seen in Faction Play since Phase 3 ever again.

So when Russ listens, he only listens to the wrong people.

#65 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Ok, here's a cool idea I just had, that might make loyalty points worth a damn.

Once you have Rank 20 loyalty with a faction, you can choose to drop in a 4 man group only, as an "Elite Lance". These lances should get special ribbons, paintjobs, and titles, as well as 10 MC per win. The idea is to incentivize breaking up 12 mans, so 4 mans can go in and carry newer players to victory. Elite drops could be considered "hard mode" then, and should have stats tracked separately from faction play.

#66 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

FP is to long and to boring, I play once in awhile but otherwise dont care.

#67 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

I play FP dailly, and enjoy long drawn battles and good fights vs other stacks.

QP I play to test builds/lvl mechs, other then that, do not care about it.

So there you have it.

#68 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostToothless, on 05 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Russ says a lot of things.

Agreed. Like Russ saying Chris had "the keys to the kingdom" when it comes to game balance back when Chris was hired. Then, during Paul's rebuttal to Dane's "Un-funning Of MWO" YouTube video, Paul made the arrogant comment about him having Chris "on a short leash." Letting us know he is firmly in charge of balance. I think Russ sometimes just tells us what he thinks we want to hear.

#69 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 August 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

Are you honestly comparing yourself to an average SQ pug? Or are you just here to pat your own back?

Even with sarcastica font on, did you even have to ask why he was here ?

#70 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 August 2018 - 04:49 AM, said:

It is all about player skill. Always has, always will be.

Which is why it needs a skill matching system. that can only be easily implemented when everyone is rated individually, which is why SOLO QUEUE ONLY WITH SSR TOTALS MATCHING/CLOSE ON BOTH SIDES would be better than solo and grouped queue or just grouped queue.

I know your viewpoint is joystick warriors / 50 year old battletechfans with low gaming mechanical ability shouldn't be in FP ASH, but I am starting to think you also like clubbing seals.

View PostJon Gotham, on 06 August 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

But that is the same endless discussion with the only correct answer: the seals make themselves seals by insisting on super solo play. Team game is meant to be played socially, in teams not solo.
There is no dodging this.

To make an analogy of your argument, you are arguing that World of warcraft Vanilla with 1 million players should never have made their end game content more accessible to the casual player. I am sure that would have helped them reach 14 million players......................

View PostBig Tin Man, on 06 August 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

I love how this conversation has turned back to 'make a solo queue for FP!!!'

PGI actually listened and tried that.

It failed.

Horribly.

The game didn't have the population to do it back then, and it hasn't improved. The suggestions of limiting group size are easily circumvented by sync dropping (Do you remember max group sizes in QP? Pepperidge Farms remembers.) This is about making FP better for those that are still here.

View PostCadoazreal, on 03 August 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

I have spent over 4,000 hours in 3? years in Faction Play/Community Warfare so I hope you can spend 5 minutes reading the thoughts of someone who has spent a lot of time playing this game mode.

Posted Image

There is a lot of

Posted Image

in this thread so far along with the good points, some just insane, some differences of opinions / what people enjoy, AND ONE OF THE TWO BIGGEST PROBLEM is the community doesn't understand there are a lot of different views and groups that PGI has to try to cater to and appease.

Posted Image

THE FACTION PLAY QUEUEING SYSTEM.

DO NOT ANY OF YOU FORUM TROLLS TELL ME THIS HAS BEEN TRIED BEFORE, IT HAS NOT BEEN TRIED BEFORE, A UNIT TAG (1 OR 12 MAN) QUEUE vs AN UNTAGGED (1 OR 12 MAN) QUEUE, LAUNCHED BACK WHEN WE HAD 48 BUCKETS AND A BRAND SPANKING SHINY NEW GAME MODE THAT EVERYONE WAS EXCITED ABOUT HAD JUST BEEN LAUNCHED TO PUT US IN A DIFFERENT GAME MODE TO THE GAME MODE THE UNIT/NO UNIT QUEUE WAS SUPPOSED TO FIX THE SEAL CLUBBING FOR IS NOT THE SAME ******* THING AS GROUPED VS SOLO QUEUE.

Sorry about the caps, but I am obviously still fanatical on the logical argument that some communinty members , bewilderingly to me opposed, that testing something for 2 weeks, that was not a good implementation/iteration/no similarity to what was actually needed, during a time that very few people were playing the 12 man queue it was desinged for, because most were trying out the new 4 man scouting mode is somehow acceptable finality to what is actually needed to stop the never ending destructive cycle of seal clubbing that we call FP that decays our playerbase rather than building it.

Now then, We had 48 buckets, we now have 2 (4 during added IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan events, although I expect the normal Faction Play queue will be almost dead during this event). Solo and Grouped queue would increase us from a standard basis of 2 buckets to a standard basis of 4 buckets, I agree we dont have the population now, we did when I foresaw this 2 years ago and preached for 18 months before I gave up. (if you want to go find those posts they are probably on Cadoazazel not Cadoazreal, before the former got blocked for posting in threads on multiple accounts, god knows why that is an offence when the name is almost identical.)

This is a topic I vigorously argued needed to be implemented during a large scale event like tukayid 3 or the Civil War Skill tree launch, when returning players to see what was different / new numbers were at their highest, and I believe was the last chance we had to rebuild our playerbase from sinking beyond saving down the Seal clubbing new player deterring spiral hole that we have long since past.

The 3 most common arguments I see against split solo or grouped queue's are

1. "we dont have the player numbers to support it"

We had the numbers to support 4 buckets when we changed from 48 buckets to 2. We probably had the numbers during Civil War and Tukkayid 3. BUT CONGRATULATIONS SEAL CLUBBERS YOU'VE FINALLY GOT US TO THE POINT WE PROBABLY DONT HAVE THE NUMBERS TO REBUILD FROM, HOPE YOUR ENJOYING YOUR MORE DEAD THAN EVER BEFORE FP QUEUE'S because queueing with 12 people in meta mechs with voip co-ordination vs 12 people in trial mechs scattering like headless chickens made you feel like you were good and inflated your epeen. I am sure the cbills and loyalist rank up rewards was a motivation for many aswell (it was for me),

2. We already tried it and it failed, I have explained above, and dont know how to say it more clearly what was tried was not a solo or grouped queue, it was a my name is different to yours so you have to go in a different queue to me, that sounds more like aparteid than a beneficial skill based / difficulty based queue division (yes people who were the only person in their unit were in the unit bucket).

3. Everyone will join the solo queue and it will kill grouped queue.

Solo queue needs a SSR system with lower cbills, reputation and xp income than Grouped Queue that launches when the 12 people on each team add up to similar total SSR's for close matches. Grouped queue, 2 to 12 players (excluding groups of 11 obviously, JUST LIKE GROUPED QP) need small bonus on top of getting more of the 3 basic currencies, rewards for playing Grouped queue, 5 MC per win 3 per loss ?? (This can be altered to futher incentivize one queue or the other), because grouped queue will have more 1 sided games than Solo queue, that is the nature of the game mode, the "Heroic mode of mwo, where your going to wipe a LOT" but the times you beat that end game boss are epic, Trust me I've been there in both games.

I think we have finally reached the point where THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH FP can no longer be fixed with the solution that would have easily worked in the past.

You see, the Faction play of MWO is very similar to Naxxramus raiders in vanilla World of Warcraft large time commitments to get the rewards (tags on planets for MC) and a small group of excessive players, but not excessively profitable / growable, especially back then, when the number of PC gamers was a LOT smaller. Then Blizzard woke up and MADE THE END GAME CONTENT ACCESSIBLE TO THE MORE CASUAL PLAYERS, but with lesser rewards. How does this get translated into M.W.O. ? Solo queue's rewards lower than grouped queue, but with a better closer game matchmaker based on individual SSR, just like happens in 2v2 solaris, and additional incentives for the harder grouped queue, Titles / decals / MC ?

So since we no longer have the population for both we need to go to solo queuing only for better closer matches where SSR is balanced to be even across both sides.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 06 August 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#71 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

For someone that has played 7k hours, you sure seemed to forget about the sync dropping days before clan wave 1. Do you honestly think eliminating groups would work when we wait 10 minutes as a 12 man to get a dry drop when there is only one bucket? SSR doesn't work when there are only 12 available players per side. It works even less well when you and your unit mates are in the same skill bukkit.

Also, you're count on pgi to come up with a ranking system that would work for this, like the tier system xp bar?

You know how amazing solaris's SSR is when there is only 1 other person on the planet playing? It would be like that. Skill matching is irrelevant when the population can barely get matches.

#72 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 06 August 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

Which is why it needs a skill matching system. that can only be easily implemented when everyone is rated individually, which is why SOLO QUEUE ONLY WITH SSR TOTALS MATCHING/CLOSE ON BOTH SIDES would be better than solo and grouped queue or just grouped queue.

I know your viewpoint is joystick warriors / 50 year old battletechfans with low gaming mechanical ability shouldn't be in FP ASH, but I am starting to think you also like clubbing seals.

Problem is that just won't work. In low population times that totally goes out the window which is ~12-14hrs every, single, day. That counts EU and US phases which also have gaps in population.

You just don't get the bigger picture here and I don't know a way to explain it such that you will. You are only thinking about yourself. PUGs need Groups and Groups need PUGs. You force everyone to SoloQ you will kill the remainder of the active units in Faction Play (good and average player filled ones) and the social aspect of 'war' which is what the LORE guys want - is totally null and void. If you just wanna play along, that's cool, don't detract from the 1,000s of others that want to be in groups.

Clubbing? What are you on about? I've been dropping in barely anymore than a 6man the whole event so the games are a bit of a challenge. We've had now 5 x 12-man teams not even leave their Drop Zone's or hide behind them... Funnily enough some of those players are the ones that complain about DZ farming - OFC you're gonna get farmed in it if you never leave it Posted Image

#73 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 06 August 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

People whom I recall seeing in FP within the last 2 months:

[x] Justcallme A S H
[x] Mystere
[x] El Bandito
[_] GBxGhostRyder

Then go and check Jarls list - 2 years inactive..Posted Image .

#74 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 August 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Then go and check Jarls list - 2 years inactive..Posted Image .

That's because I play my Founders and main account 24/7 7 days a week from day 1 of MWO to now and have played every aspect MWO has to offer in QP and FP from tier5 to tier 1 comp on 5 different teams I know exactly what is going on. Thanks for caring. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And P.S a split queue FP is the only way to revive it.

Edited by GBxGhostRyder, 06 August 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#75 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

Yeah so you play on your founders account but post about rampant hacking game and a bunch of tinfoil hat stuff on an Alt so no-one knows who you are, what experience you have or otherwise?

Posted Image

Only a certain type does that. We all know who.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 August 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#76 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 06 August 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

Spoiler

-"sync dropping days before clan wave 1"
People trying to Sync drop in an SSR system will still get closer games than the current 1 sided group drops system, the biggest deterrent to FP is the fights are not close.

-"Do you honestly think eliminating groups would work........."
Yes. it would work better than what we currently have because you only have 12 people queueing on each side because you have stuck to your stubborn "no solo queue for you, we want to club seals for easy wins/epeen/cbills etc" claiming you want good close games from when we had 10+ active games / queues running simultaneously till we maybe get 1 game every 3+ ghost drops now ? (not sure what the current average wait time is, I have hardly touched FP outside events since solaris launched because of how bad queue time has gotten because no one wants to queue for 1 sided unenjoyable matches.) Total SSR matching across the 2 teams would result in better closer matches, No it wouldn't be perfect, it would be better than what we have now.

"Also, you're count on pgi to come up with a ranking system that would work for this, like the tier system xp bar?"
-Solaris SSR system with 5 placement matches would work well enough.

-'You know how amazing solaris's SSR is when there is only 1 other person on the planet playing? It would be like that. Skill matching is irrelevant when the population can barely get matches."
You know how great it is when we have 20 people queueing in 1 division at the same time ? Ask the streamers who stream it and get 20+ people queueing simultaneously. PEOPLE DONT QUEUE BECAUSE THEY KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT, 1 SIDED MATCHES, YOU SHOW THEM AN ALTERNATIVE, CLOSE FIGHTS, THEY QUEUE.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 August 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

Spoiler

"- Problem is that just won't work. In low population times that totally goes out the window which is ~12-14hrs every, single, day. That counts EU and US phases which also have gaps in population."
And we have reached this point because it was not changed years ago during events like tuakkyid and civil war that brought large numbers temporarily back to FP. Because just grouped queue is more imbalanced matches than just Solo Queue would be.

- "You just don't get the bigger picture here and I don't know a way to explain it such that you will. You are only thinking about yourself. PUGs need Groups and Groups need PUGs. You force everyone to SoloQ you will kill the remainder of the active units in Faction Play (good and average player filled ones) and the social aspect of 'war' which is what the LORE guys want - is totally null and void. If you just wanna play along, that's cool, don't detract from the 1,000s of others that want to be in groups."

I have spread my time far more evenly between dropping Solo into Fp and Grouped into FP than yourself in the time we have been playing Faction Play, I enjoy both, I do not favor Solo Queue, I favor better closer fights, Pugs and Groups do not need each other, One destroys the others desire to play, Groups can still drop simultanously in a Solo queue on the same faction side, which with our low populations would mean they all end up on the same team anyway, you would just have to wait longer till the game finds equal SSR's on the other side, With the interest such a system would bring back the queues would be no longer than they are now and probably less. The remainder of the active units in faction play ? when was the last time many units fielded 12 man drops all the SAME UNIT TAG ? People are less likely to stop playing / chatting on voip apps with their friends while playing, which many do anyway already while playing diffrerent game modes than stop playing because of 1 sided conflicts. The LORE aspect can be continued, your alliance effects your specific border even when those you are queueing against are not only from the relevant adjacent opposing border. Current FP has less LORE than that.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 06 August 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#77 Rustyhammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

You have split queues for solo and groups for QP. I noticed that during Oceanic time it's often easier to get a game in FP rather than GQ.

I'd actually love to drop in Group queue as a solo player. These days, level of derpness in solo QP is all time high.

#78 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

Streamers often run group drops from twitch ask one for an invite

#79 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:15 AM

Reading this thread is almost sad....

it seems, all we have left if anger, blame and ePeen attitudes. It's a game; and, supposed to be "fun"?

We all left because it isn't fun in any mode: single, groups or team modes all aren't fun anymore. The game itself has been exploited to the point of the game itself being sadly hollow, transparent and doesn't ring true anymore....

This dissatisfaction with everything and everyone is the testament of how hollow the game is.

I hope at some point, something dramatic changes and we all reassess where we want to be and fix this.....

#80 GBxGhostRyder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

View PostAsym, on 07 August 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

Reading this thread is almost sad....

it seems, all we have left if anger, blame and ePeen attitudes. It's a game; and, supposed to be "fun"?

We all left because it isn't fun in any mode: single, groups or team modes all aren't fun anymore. The game itself has been exploited to the point of the game itself being sadly hollow, transparent and doesn't ring true anymore....

This dissatisfaction with everything and everyone is the testament of how hollow the game is.

I hope at some point, something dramatic changes and we all reassess where we want to be and fix this.....

To be honest I don't think players hate players they are angry at PGI I think most of the anger comes from what PGI has done over 5 year as in devalue players mechs by so many nerfs that were uncalled for and So much unbalance in the game modes themselves as in Premades VS solo players first in QP then in FP for so long

This game has so much to offer that many games do not but PGI has squandered there community almost alienating there community from MWO in a attempt to kill there own product? You have to ask why? Is it because the Captain at the Helm has been drunk and smoking the whacky weed to long?

Or is it just they don't give a crap about there playerbase and what they have to say as far as what they would like to play in this game or any types of improvements? Are they truly listening now or is this just another have baked attempt to get the last USD from players before its closed down?

I really wanted to play CW again like it was back just after closed beta when the community trusted Russ and PGI and things were going well for both groups of this playerbase solo players and large groups. Also I wanted to really play Solaris but that is a total unbalanced game mode I learned to hate very quickly which could be fixed by making 4 divisions based on chassis type but PGI is so resistant to player input about MWO they will actually do just the opposite of what the playerbase wants just to piss them off.

So in reality I will set back and just wait for the proof I can trust what PGI has to say about FP or anything like they say proof is in the pudding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users