453 replies to this topic

#81 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

A bit pissed Chris reply to some but say nothing about shadows not fixed for well over a year, like they don't fu***ng care about fixing visual glitches...

P.S. pretty cool alcohol help me express my frustion tonight... I mean I just can't understand why they don't care to fix visual errors such as my signature shows which were reported months ago. I told them many times! Why no effort put on this and move on? Sushis were excellent, just as Sake was.

#82 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

Oh my ****** God! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

After a long friggin Monday, I needed a good laugh, and by golly these patch notes had me crying I was laughing so hard at the absurdity. PGI nevers ceases to amaze me.

Coolshots: not sure this was really needed, but Seeing as it doesn't outright destroy anything and is just an interesting change, I'm alright with giving it a go n seeing how it works out.

Lock window and Artemis: Are You Kidding Me??? So this the route ya decided on? Gonna smack down Streaks like a red headed step child, and make it more difficult/not worth while for lurmers to move up or get LOS, etc........ Which will just give further incentive for them to hang back and spam from other people's lock while safely hidden..... Here's a friggin hint, THAT'S the part that annoys people. The mindlessly easy, force multiplying, spam from behind cover. Ugh.....

ECM: Hey, there we go, a baby step in right direction. Buffing one the counters to the spam in trade for all the buffs the spam got.

Narc Cooldown: Well..... Good intentions where probably at least involved here? But as many have stated, this just means anyone intent on narcing the hell outta things will equip dual launchers instead??!!

ATMs velocity: Personally, I despise ATMs, but aside from my personal opinion this is a nice little bump to em (assuming the Artemis changes don't completely screw em too regardless that they come with it hardwired in, and the lock window don't make em a pain to use since up close, 120m-300m is there most common usage) guess we'll see if it noticeably changes anything?

Streaks Velocity: Well this would have been a nice little minor buff for them...... If it wasn't for the other changes that are going to screw the poor system sideways. (All those PIRs and heavy weight armored COMs that have been having fun and regularly raising the light queue to 20%+, sometimes 30%+ (least when I play), are gonna be delighted and may even come out in even more numbers?!? Guess this'll be interesting?)

Quirk changes: Well..... Ok. Not sure bout that Cent losing its missile quirk? I wonder if people will find a way to abuse that Spider capture accelerant quirk? N nice ya got around to other Quickies finally.

All n all...... I have a feeling the **** Show is going to continue for yet another several patches..... It's just gonna be a different flavor of the same **** now?!?

Edited by TechChris, 20 August 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#83 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

How was CNT9-A missles over performing?

#84 PobbestGob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Despite the rage in the thread I think most of the changes have the right idea. Narc duration would be a more effective nerf than cooldown though, and full artemis upgrades when having LOS but more spread than live without it as a way to discourage the hanging back and shooting playstyle. With the tighter lock circle and no difference between LOS locks or not, there's no incentive for lrmers to stay closer to the team. There needs to be some penalty for not having a LOS on the enemy.

#85 Crash Coredump

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

View PostNUMBERZero1032, on 20 August 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

Also to keep on about LRM's, the changes to the lock angle won't actually affect anyone who can aim.

so that's like, what, 2.7% of LRM users?

Edited by Crash Coredump, 20 August 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#86 SuperMCDad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 131 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

View PostArdney, on 20 August 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com...08#entry6146708

and
https://mwomercs.com...66#entry6146766

^from August 9th so that's the most recent answer.

The post from Navid below, links to the developers own description of how Artemis works.

View PostNavid A1, on 20 August 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

How Chris "believes" Artemis works is in direct contradiction to how the developer describes it, hence the call for clarification.

If the missile spread reduction isn't tied to LOS, then it may still be of use in big launchers. If it is tied to LOS, then it's almost certainly dead weight at this point.

#87 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 20 August 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

Lol.

Ninja-Edit incoming.

If artemis really worked like they said it worked before, we wouldn't have this mess because LRMs would probably be decent at Direct-Fire, allowing them to balance it as direct-fire.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 20 August 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#88 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

sorry, not enough for me to come back. Love the back and forth on the balance #beta forever

#89 ET Penang

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPenang: near Char Koay Teow, Nasi Lemak & Chandoi stalls

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

First move after patch - remove Artemis.
I guess this is what PGI wanted, kill the LRM storm. Get back to phew phew again.

Penang

#90 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

I'm surprised how PGI is always balancing in the wrong direction.

LRMs direct fire, namely Artemis, should have been buffed, while indirect fire should have been nerfed. The problems with LRMs is not direct fire, but indirect. Most LRM boats won't even notice the nerf of Artemis.

LRM boats mostly hide in the back and spam LRMs. That is the reason why everyone is frustrated to fight along and fight against LRMs. But the reason for hiding is simple. Compared with direct fire weapons LRMs are not competitive if fired directly. High lock times, travel time and the need for constant facing make LRMs bad at direct firing.

This change only will provide LRM users more reasons to hide in the back.

Edited by xe N on, 20 August 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#91 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

View Postxe N on, on 20 August 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

LRMs direct fire, namely Artemis, should have been buffed, while indirect fire should have been nerfed. The problems with LRMs is not direct fire, but indirect. Most LRM boats won't even notice the nerf of Artemis.

LRM boats mostly hide in the back and spam LRMs. That is the reason why everyone is frustrated to fight along and fight against LRMs. But the reason for hiding is simple. Compared with direct fire weapons LRMs are not competitive if fired directly. High lock times, travel time and the need for constant facing make LRMs bad at direct firing.

This, and so much this. The changes on this patch actually punish you for trying to get your own locks and close with targets, and ironically enough make it easier to stand further back and just spam missiles from behind a hill, as Artemis no longer really gives any major benefits versus the risks of exposure.

Why they would deliberately pitch the weapons towards tater mode, I have no idea. They even managed to discourage AMS use further via velocity increases.

#92 Chris Lowrey

Design Consultant

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

View PostRhialto, on 20 August 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

A bit pissed Chris reply to some but say nothing about shadows not fixed for well over a year, like they don't fu***ng care about fixing visual glitches...

Can only comment on what I can directly control. This would be something that someone on the Art team would have to comment on. I have zero impact on this particular issue.

#93 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

View Postxe N on, on 20 August 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

I'm not trying to white knight for PGI or anything....but....you do realize that the difference between a Innersphere LRM-15 and LRM-15+A is 1 ton 1 crit right?....So the weapons should perform within 10-15% of each other and not say 20%+.

Maybe PGI Chris can divulge some stats.

#94 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:48 PM

Glad that the zero crit zero weight artemis upgrade is gone from streaks but I don't think they needed to give streaks a buff to offset the lock on changes. They have always been an anti-light weapon for some reason so the changes making it harder for them to hit lights are good. If they wanted to give them something in exchange then come up with something that helps them against the bigger mechs. Yeah its not a giant velocity increase but I think they were already to fast. Though if I had to pick I still think they should dial back their alpha damage more than velocity.

Edited by dario03, 20 August 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#95 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostApexSun, on 20 August 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Mostly good stuff but nerfing the streak missile lock on range is kinda BS. If lights weren't already way OP then now lets kill the best weapon that you can use to defend yourself from them with.

Light mechs OP?! The only time this was true during beta, when they could use their lag shield, before it was fixed with host-state-rewind. Light are incredible easy to hit with direct fire weapons now.

#96 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 22 August 2018 - 06:34 PM.
unconstructive, animated image included inappropriate language

#97 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

I like spider changes, especially the 5V. Might actually bring it back to the game.
I dont see any reason for centurion A to drop the missile quirk, surely it didn't make it OP (the worst centurion of all TBH).
I can't wait to see the commando retrofit, might actually get properly sized(compared to other lights) weapon hardpoints.
LRM and Artemis changes require proper justification. I said once, and gonna say again that the better way of balancing would be reduction of LRM missile health. But whatever, on this matter I don't actually care.
@Navid and others - you wont prove anything to Chris unless you actually record a video, showing that artemis actually works only with LOS.

#98 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostChris Lowrey, on 20 August 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Can only comment on what I can directly control. This would be something that someone on the Art team would have to comment on. I have zero impact on this particular issue.

yeah come on guys hes our balance punching bag not art department get it right!

#99 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

A full month of work ... and all we get are cosmetic changes and spreadsheet tweaks.

This sparse patch demonstrates just how little effort and resources PGI are putting into MWO these days.

Edited by Appogee, 20 August 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#100 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:24 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 20 August 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

• SDR-5V
- Small Mobility increase across all attributes
- Added a Target Retention Duration +1 quirk
- Added a Sensor Range +100 quirk
- Brand New Native 'Mech quirk added: Capture Acceleration +80%

This makes me sad. Even with a capture boost, the Spider is still going to be an easy kill for another 30 ton mech with enough speed to keep pace. Just don't see it working out as making this particular mech viable.

I still think a point rating system for building dropdecks / teams instead of tonnage would be a more effective way to handle the under-performing variants like the Spider 5V.

Ex: your group has 30 tons for a pilot to use, do you want a Arctic Cheetah or a Spider 5V?

Edited by SilentScreamer, 21 August 2018 - 06:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users