Fp Podcast - Followup Discussion Aug 20-2018

357 replies to this topic

#321 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

In that case, 82% of the posts here are moot.

I do not think that PGI takes any suggestion seriously and it gives me something to do.

#322 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostNightbird, on 16 September 2018 - 05:17 AM, said:

AI for people to shoot would increase the accessibility of the game by 10 fold, I'm surprised that PGI said they're not interested in it at all.

Have they given up on this engine? After mw5 maybe they're going to work toward unreal mwo. They wouldn't ever tell us because they still have to sell what they have now until then.

#323 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

I've been told that PGI does not own Mechwarrior online.

And that they lease it from Microsoft.

#324 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 16 September 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I've been told that PGI does not own Mechwarrior online.

And that they lease it from Microsoft.

This is true but for what i remember they renewed the contract in 2015 to 2020. After 2020 they are very likely to do it again or maybe they already did.

#325 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

Sorry for the absence here, a lot of things spinning in the air at the moment.

Just want to give you a critical update on discussed points. One of the items being brought to the table has been shifted to a stretch goal for this FP update. It doesn't mean it's not coming, it means it's got a high probability of being delayed.

The item in question is the branching, automated event system. Instead of the process being automated, it will have to be manually maintained. It's our intention to get this to be automated so we can plan out events/mini-campaigns well in advance. While not a major set-back, it's something I want to let you guys know about.

#326 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

Any guesses on when that update might be Paul?

(I won't hold you to it)

ie before/after Christmas will do for now.

Edited by slide, 19 September 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#327 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 19 September 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

Sorry for the absence here, a lot of things spinning in the air at the moment.

Just want to give you a critical update on discussed points. One of the items being brought to the table has been shifted to a stretch goal for this FP update. It doesn't mean it's not coming, it means it's got a high probability of being delayed.

The item in question is the branching, automated event system. Instead of the process being automated, it will have to be manually maintained. It's our intention to get this to be automated so we can plan out events/mini-campaigns well in advance. While not a major set-back, it's something I want to let you guys know about.

A possible faction overhaul. It would give faction play a tabletop element. Instead of just winning battles until you reach a certain threshold to take planets I think it would be more interesting to have each player awarded points for performance in each battle, track match score.
These points would be spent on assets that could be allocated to conflict zones. What are the assets? That could be a number of different answers some very simple and some very complicated. If you wanted to leave it very simple you could just say who ever has most points at the end of that phase wins. I don't think that would do it justice but it would be the logical first step and even in that state I think it would be a lot better than current faction play.

Here is a list of assets I would like to see: All mechs and variants, ammunition, basic supplies, artillery, aircraft and combat vehicles. Each of these items would have a value attached to it. So lets say you use points to allocate mechs to a planet. using this idea each mech would need a certain amount of basic supplies and ammunition, per hour I'm thinking, and if you don't have enough supplies mechs would get a penalty. Each planet should have a certain type of terrain and that terrain would affect different mechs in different ways. For example fast mechs and jump jet mechs would get bonuses on planets with rough terrain while a Direwolf should get a hefty bonus on flat long range terrain. And certain mech variants would provide bonuses to other mechs depending on loadout, NARC mechs would bonus mechs/vehicles with missiles.

All assets would be combined on a planet from all players who choose to put anything there. At the end of any invasion phase who ever has most points after calculating bonuses and penalties would win. Players would be allowed to assign there war assets to any planet that is on the border of the two sides and if a unit contributes as many or more assets/points then all other friendly units combined they get their tag placed on the planet in a win. This might sound chaotic and thats the point. If you give players the ability to go many directions it will allow unit and player coordination to shine.

NOTE: This would have no effect on in battle game play. This would only be something you do on the star map. Something else that would be essential for this is a option in unit management that gives Unit COs the option to restrict the allocation of points to themselves and approved officers.

#328 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostJRcam4643, on 19 September 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

*snip*

NOTE: This would have no effect on in battle game play. This would only be something you do on the star map. Something else that would be essential for this is a option in unit management that gives Unit COs the option to restrict the allocation of points to themselves and approved officers.

You know this gives me an idea... and NO IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN... but wouldn't it be cool if you did stuff like this and it played out like a mini-perpetual RTS. Like moving a battalion of tanks to planet X to start a ground assault which did stuff like lower health on assets in the game modes. Posted Image

View Postslide, on 19 September 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Any guesses on when that update might be Paul? (I won't hold you to it) ie before/after Christmas will do for now.

Top secret. But I'm sure most of you could make a very simple educated guess as to when we would ANNOUNCE something. ;)

#329 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

So 70 or 71 days then.

That's better than "soon".

It's also better than 90 days (sorry couldn't help myself).

Thanks

Edited by slide, 22 September 2018 - 01:08 AM.

#330 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 21 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

You know this gives me an idea... and NO IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN... but wouldn't it be cool if you did stuff like this and it played out like a mini-perpetual RTS. Like moving a battalion of tanks to planet X to start a ground assault which did stuff like lower health on assets in the game modes. Posted Image

Top secret. But I'm sure most of you could make a very simple educated guess as to when we would ANNOUNCE something. ;)

I think we need to think about if what I suggested is more work then changing the faction play maps. Cause I suspect you're not going to get a big boost of player retention with current siege maps. The siege maps as is are just too boring. I think adding a match maker will probably help some but that wouldn't be a big issue if you had a large enough population playing and you can't keep a big population interested in a game mode as bland as faction play is.

I think you need to keep in mind that after MW5 releases there are going to be a lot people who will buy it not even knowing MWO exists but will discover it after because steam will suggest it, or other means. I assume that because I ran into several folks who were new or had not played in years that said they were here because of Battletech. But you won't retain many of those people with the game in it's current state.

#331 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Postslide, on 21 September 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

So 70 or 71 days then.

That's better than "soon".

It's also better than 90 days (sorry couldn't help myself).

Thanks

How do you get 71 days from what he said ? I got "announce things happens at mech con, which means we wont see **** till next year.

#332 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 24 September 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

How do you get 71 days from what he said ? I got "announce things happens at mech con, which means we wont see **** till next year.

The 70 or 71 days was how long it was until Mechcon (at time of writing, Mechon is 2 days hence the prevarication). That's for an announcement of things to come. I always assumed actual updates will be after that. Hopefully <90 days. (I gotta stop that)

#333 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 24 September 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Took them over a year to make the beta CW to start with. A good change would take at least this long.

You can guess what you would get in 2-3 months.

#334 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

My bad thought there was closer to 100 days to go.

#335 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 25 September 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

My bad thought there was closer to 100 days to go.

Yeah me too, I Googled "how many days till". I was a little disappointed when it wasn't 90 days. The irony would have been huge.

#336 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:50 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 25 September 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

You can guess what you would get in 2-3 months.

Sigh
I don't know, maybe quick things that PGI can do without a lot of dev time, like this whole thing was meant to be 2 months ago

In my mind there is no reason to withhold QoL changes that could be hot-fixed into the game today just to make the list longer at MechCon

View PostMonkey Lover, on 16 September 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

They wouldn't ever tell us because they still have to sell what they have now until then.

Depending on how they treat player inventory from MWO to MWO with Unreal it would not matter to anyone.

If they bring over the inventory from MWO to whatever they are working on then there is no downside, maybe even an incentive for some players to spent money again since its a sign that PGI actually does something besides changing xml values and pumping out eye candy.

Because all I've seen for a long time is very little dev time for MWO.
For instance I love how they blow up the list from patch logs by listing every little eye candy/bolt-on and what not available for every variant.
If you'd hide the eye candy and mechpack stuff behind a spoiler the patch logs would be only a few lines in many cases.
Does not inspire.

View PostNightbird, on 16 September 2018 - 05:17 AM, said:

AI for people to shoot would increase the accessibility of the game by 10 fold, I'm surprised that PGI said they're not interested in it at all.

For me too.

There is so much possibility with it, shrugs.

But then I wonder how much of that is because of the engine choice in the end.
Maybe its just way too much work.

Maybe they do have in mind wanting to switch the engine, they obviously have AI working in MW5 after all.

Edited by Peter2k, 03 October 2018 - 02:02 AM.

#337 Weagles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

I think that most players forget that you don't have to kill all the other mechs to win. Adding to the timers so you can kill more does not make the match better only gives those who designed their drop deck to kill an advantage. Learn to play the mode or make do with limited kills and a lose.

Even on skirmish, you just need to out think the enemy and get a kill count lead. Clans love taking long range up on a point where they have an advantage as IS charges them or tries to poke them. Don't do it. Run the clock instead. Get in a defensive position that the Clans have to close to attack. The clans won't and then the game becomes all about team work and discipline. The first player that acts instead of following the team tactic dies and loses the match for their team.

There should be a bonus in FW invasion for the winning side for each unused mech. The bonus should be divided evenly to all the players of the winning side. This bonus represents the savings of not having to repair and reload the mech.

#338 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:42 PM

Sorry for the radio silence here folks... have my head burried in the PODs at the moment. The QoL changes will be coming soon.. prob the Dec patch. We're still scheduling the discussion points that are beyond QoL but it's still unknown for a tentative release date. More info will be know AT and POST MechCon.

#339 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 November 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Sorry for the radio silence here folks... have my head burried in the PODs at the moment. The QoL changes will be coming soon.. prob the Dec patch. We're still scheduling the discussion points that are beyond QoL but it's still unknown for a tentative release date. More info will be know AT and POST MechCon.

You better be ready to sit down and chat some FP with me @ Mechcon.

I am literally coming from half the world away, 24hrs of flights, just to discuss these things!

(ok not really just to talk FP, but that sounds more dramatic) Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 November 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#340 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 November 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

You better be ready to sit down and chat some FP with me @ Mechcon.

I am literally coming from half the world away, 24hrs of flights, just to discuss these things!

(ok not really just to talk FP, but that sounds more dramatic) Posted Image

Sorry.. I'll be in Australia during MechCon ;) :D

(ok not really.. I'll be watching the Super Pods hoping no one gets lit on fire)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users