258 replies to this topic

#101 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 09 September 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

The MCII-B is stronger than the dakka Anni, either you give up too much damage volume (4 AC10s) or you are less heat efficient copy of the other (2 UAC10/2 UAC5).

Stronger only in RAW damage numbers and only if you are lucky. Much higher spread thx to more slugs and higher jam chance.

I'm not sure what game you are playing either saying the Whale is only useful for UAC2s/AC2s, cuz it still works just fine for UAC10/5 spam just like the MCII-B only with a worse profile.

And why would any1 pick this subpar mech with that build? You said yourself that clan have a mad cat.

HG isn't dakka so mentioning it would be a waste, those specifically compete with Gauss vomit on the clan side (albeit shorter range). No one cares about 5 LBX10s (how slow is that exactly) just like no one really cared about the 4 LBX10 Kodiak. Those aren't dakka nor are they actually great builds.

LB10 builds are worth mentioning al least because currently 3AC5 are somewhat equal to 2 LB10. Hell, I'd even say that LB10 boating mechs are superior to all other dakka stuff.
Change my mind.
And yeah, if you dont play some gamemode it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 09 September 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#102 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 09 September 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

Stronger only in RAW damage numbers and only if you are lucky. Much higher spread thx to more slugs and higher jam chance.

Sure, you have more spread but the damage volume more than makes up for that, that's kinda the point. Just because it causes "more spread" doesn't automatically make it bad. That said, with everything as low mobility as it is, its not hard to hammer torsos.

And why would any1 pick this subpar mech with that build? You said yourself that clan have a mad cat.

It isn't that subpar, it was the third most picked Assault in NA Div A of MRBC last season for a reason (behind the Anni and MKII). Most people just suck at playing it.

LB10 builds are worth mentioning al least because currently 3AC5 are somewhat equal to 2 LB10.

Lolno, they may be the same in weight, but they are NOT the same in application. LBX10s spread in an uncontrollable way unlike lasers and UACs which can generally be controlled by steady aim. This makes them inherently worse unless you plan on closing in on mechs really close. Their effective range is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than 3 AC5s or really even UAC10s.

And yeah, if you dont play some gamemode it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

No, its the fact the FW is a broken gamemode (Invasion/Siege whatever its called now has always been borked, promotes camping, etc) among other reasons (badly designed maps, no MM so balance is much harder to judge) and has almost always had a significantly lower population. Solaris is a 1v1 mode built for a game that was designed around team play, yes, that is kinda dumb to base any sort of balance judgements on that mode.

#103 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 09 September 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

Lolno, they may be the same in weight, but they are NOT the same in application. LBX10s spread in an uncontrollable way unlike lasers and UACs which can generally be controlled by steady aim. This makes them inherently worse unless you plan on closing in on mechs really close. Their effective range is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than 3 AC5s or really even UAC10s.

Uncontrollably or not, they all spread. The difference is not that much when the enemy is torso twisting. Surely, a static noob would die faster from (U)ACs, but we are not talking about static noobs, aren't we?
The effective range of classic 2uac5 2uac10 MCII-B is around 400m due to weapons having bad convergence (being in arms) and different velocity. That is where you can put most of your slugs in a single torso on a target moving slower that 60 kmph. The faster the target the worser the range. LB10s on the other hand have the same velocity and dont really suffer from being installed in different locations in general. Surely, on much higher ranges uacs are better, but I doubt you'll want to use it that way.

No, its the fact the FW is a broken gamemode (Invasion/Siege whatever its called now has always been borked, promotes camping, etc) among other reasons (badly designed maps, no MM so balance is much harder to judge) and has almost always had a significantly lower population. Solaris is a 1v1 mode built for a game that was designed around team play, yes, that is kinda dumb to base any sort of balance judgements on that mode.

That is stretched and HIGHLY subjective. CW is the ONLY place where IS vs CLAN balance is felt and does matter.

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 09 September 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

Sure, you have more spread but the damage volume more than makes up for that, that's kinda the point. Just because it causes "more spread" doesn't automatically make it bad. That said, with everything as low mobility as it is, its not hard to hammer torsos.

And what about higher jam chance/duration? What excuse you'll use this time?
It's not all that simple.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 09 September 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#104 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 09 September 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Uncontrollably or not, they all spread. The difference is not that much when the enemy is torso twisting. Surely, a static noob would die faster from (U)ACs, but we are not talking about static noobs, aren't we?

So a few things here:
  • If they are torso twisting, they aren't shooting back at me. Meaning I control the "micro" engagement.
  • Torso twisting also works on IS dakka, if Clan dakka can't hit the torso, neither can IS.
  • Even good players get caught flat-footed, see the effectiveness of Clan laser vomit despite long burn times for evidence.

The effective range of classic 2uac5 2uac10 MCII-B is around 400m due to weapons having bad convergence (being in arms) and different velocity.

The Anni is any different convergence wise? Both deal with bad convergence but at least the MCII's weapons are all cockpit level. That said I disagree with the average players on the build and its the same reason I stopped running the 2 UAC10/3 UAC5 Whale a long time ago. Those velocities are actually very problematic. So let's say you upgrade to 4 UAC10s because why not. That means you get around bad convergence (because you should be volley-firing and arm at a time)

That is where you can put most of your slugs in a single torso on a target moving slower that 60 kmph. The faster the target the worser the range. LB10s on the other hand have the same velocity and dont really suffer from being installed in different locations in general. Surely, on much higher ranges uacs are better, but I doubt you'll want to use it that way.

Ummmmm, wat, ALL WEAPONS suffer from bad convergence. Just take the old SRMmoner and then compare it to something like the Assassin or any IS 55 tonner that isn't the Kintaro. That said, the effective range is much longer, if we are talking about slower targets the range is more around 600m and that's for 10s, 5s against slower targets is a decent amount further.

That is stretched and HIGHLY subjective. CW is the ONLY place where IS vs CLAN balance is felt and does matter.

Is felt? You mean comp or MRBC can't feel it when one tech base has a significant number more of mechs represented than the other? Please. Does it matter? It matters for everyone because flavor and unbland gameplay. No one wants to play the same tech or the same mech over and over and over again (alright, that's a lie but I don't want to see everyone doing the same thing).

And what about higher jam chance/duration? What excuse you'll use this time?

What about the lighter tonnage? What excuse you'll use this time?

Ton for ton, Clan UACs are better than IS UACs. For example the UAC10: 3 tons, 4 slots, and 90m extra range is worth the meager 2% higher jam chance, 1 more projectile, and .5s increase in jam time. If Li Songs is to be believed, the IS UAC10 only gains about 0.5 DPS (4.5 vs 5 roughly). The UAC5 is a slightly more favorable comparison for the IS, but still a similar story.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 09 September 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#105 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 09 September 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

So a few things here:
  • If they are torso twisting, they aren't shooting back at me. Meaning I control the "micro" engagement.

You just wrote that 1vs1 situation is not a way to make judgements, so uh-huh, aint gonna work.

So a few things here:
  • Torso twisting also works on IS dakka, if Clan dakka can't hit the torso, neither can IS.

True

So a few things here:
  • Even good players get caught flat-footed, see the effectiveness of Clan laser vomit despite long burn times for evidence.

Pls, no static noob arguments.

Ummmmm, wat, ALL WEAPONS suffer from bad convergence. Just take the old SRMmoner and then compare it to something like the Assassin or any IS 55 tonner that isn't the Kintaro. That said, the effective range is much longer, if we are talking about slower targets the range is more around 600m and that's for 10s, 5s against slower targets is a decent amount further.

To put it simply, the difference is that while root mean square increases linearly on pinpoint ballistic weapons due to different locations (lets say, rms=rmsconv), it increases in a square root of summary of squares on spread weapons (something like rms=sqrt(rmsown^2+rmsconv^2), hence the speed of spread increase is lower.

Is felt? You mean comp or MRBC can't feel it when one tech base has a significant number more of mechs represented than the other?

It is a little bit simplier - clan mechs do have more potential, but are much more sensetive to mistakes.In general. So basically that has nothing to do with ballisics. On high level of play clan mechs could be a little bit more...convinient. Although, I'm not fond of competitive in MWO, since with such a small playerbase, it is basically down to who is the best from the rest. If professional cybersport gaming teams from Asia region play this game, the choices would definitely be different.

UAC10 only gains about 0.5 DPS

Or routhly 10% more dps. That is quite a big number, isn't it?

Edited by GweNTLeR, 09 September 2018 - 08:02 PM.

#106 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:38 PM

A Dakka DWF isn't a good thing?

Excuse me... My 6xUAC5 DWF is a monster in QP. Always brings huge numbers with extremely minimal effort.
I could UAC10/5, which is stupid insane as well.

Just comes back to the user. If it is a 'stare' competition and players can both aim, the DWF wins the dakka simply because of DPS. Long as RNGeesus doesn't jam your day of course.

#107 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 September 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

A Dakka DWF isn't a good thing?

Excuse me... My 6xUAC5 DWF is a monster in QP. Always brings huge numbers with extremely minimal effort.
I could UAC10/5, which is stupid insane as well.

Just comes back to the user. If it is a 'stare' competition and players can both aim, the DWF wins the dakka simply because of DPS. Long as RNGeesus doesn't jam your day of course.

Now tell me: is it better than 6UAC5 ANH?

#108 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

Given it's cooler/faster and has more ammo?

#109 NUMBERZero1032

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 148 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

WHERE'S THE INCURSION FACTION PLAY BASE HEALTH BUFF

#110 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 09 September 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Now tell me: is it better than 6UAC5 ANH?

Yes, because you go 16.2kph faster and have ammo to do stuff if you get to shoot mechs undeterred......6 UAC5 is tantamount to the 6 PPC Stalker ie a joke mech.

View PostGweNTLeR, on 09 September 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

You just wrote that 1vs1 situation is not a way to make judgements, so uh-huh, aint gonna work.

Alright, even removing the control of the engagement. The point still stands, that's one mech that isn't shooting meaning 7 v 8. If you are torso twisting, it better be to get behind cover otherwise your just trying to delay your death as much as possible.

Pls, no static noob arguments.

I don't think you understand, it isn't a noob argument. Everyone gets caught flat-footed because we aren't robots nor do we have perfect understanding of who has sight lines on us. It isn't about being static play, there is a difference between static noobs and getting caught flat-footed.

To put it simply, the difference is that while root mean square increases linearly on pinpoint ballistic weapons due to different locations (lets say, rms=rmsconv), it increases in a square root of summary of squares on spread weapons (something like rms=sqrt(rmsown^2+rmsconv^2), hence the speed of spread increase is lower.

It is a little bit simplier - clan mechs do have more potential, but are much more sensetive to mistakes.In general. So basically that has nothing to do with ballisics. On high level of play clan mechs could be a little bit more...convinient. Although, I'm not fond of competitive in MWO, since with such a small playerbase, it is basically down to who is the best from the rest.

Clan mechs aren't more....convenient, they offer simply offer more for less risk (or risk that can be controlled). That's really what this game boils down to is risk aversion.

If Asians(this is not racism, they are the best in microcontrol) play this game, the choices would definitely be different.
  • That is racism
  • Asians do play this game

Or routhly 10% more dps. That is quite a big number, isn't it?

Not when you consider the tax it takes to mount it (30% more tonnage to mount, and then you have the fact it is IS so no XLs to free up tonnage).

#111 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 September 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

Given it's cooler/faster and has more ammo?

Given when you are playing in a decent team vs a decent team, which one is expected to be more effective?

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 09 September 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

• That is racism
  • Asians do play this game

Ok, gonna clarify: professional cybersport gaming teams from Asia region, so noone would be offended.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 09 September 2018 - 08:02 PM.

#112 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 09 September 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

Given when you are playing in a decent team vs a decent team, which one is expected to be more effective?

Part of playing this game is being able to adapt to certain situations, a 32kph mech is stupidly slow is unable to do that. Given how low its ammo count is, it can't even expend ammo to take potshots. Something to keep in mind, I've run dry in the stock Anni with skills quite a few times and it roughly amounts to 5.5 tons of AC5 ammo. The only reason the Annihilator can get away with going this slow, is if you are playing a specific style in stock only 3039 mode. Even with its 48kph, the Whale still can get some places at a decent pace comparatively.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 09 September 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#113 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 September 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

They are coming out ahead on literally none of those, and one of those is comparing a 'Mech with an optimum range of 270 meters to one with an optimum range of 400 meters...and still losing in the long run.

The MAD-IIC is also under-sinked.

Then youre not seeing what im seeing. Both of the last 2 comparisons show the IS mech dealing more damage in 10 seconds than the clan mech and above 200 damage before the clan mech as well.. that marker of 200 damage is useualy the damage required to fully core out a direwolf. So the mad IIC would have been dead long before.

#114 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 09 September 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

I'm fixated on bad data? Okay.

Here's what you have Shown with this new comparison:

1.) That you have funny ideas on how to build a mid-range Battlemaster 1G

2.) That a heavily-quirked 'Mech that still does not have similar range only just barely keeps pace with its Clan counterpart (MedLas with the quirks (20%), skills (15%), and TC1 (3.5%) are 374 meters....compared to the 460 meters the cERML have with just skills)

3.) That the Clan counterpart is still keeping pace despite being built suboptimally (I fixed it for you)

4.) Used quirks to defend a baseline state

I asked people for builds that are popular to make a comparison. You are just nitpicking on a single case. There are tons of other examples out there to show that IS do not have comparable mid-range laser vomit for mid-range poking. Look at HBK-IIC or HBR vs anything. BLR is the closest example IS has to a usable mid-range laser vomit. Holds its own against the top laser mechs and at the same time not a one-trick pony.

The graphs may have led you to believe that IS laser vomit might be on common grounds with clans.
They are not. Because the most dominant clan laser mechs have other advantages that compliments their range and damage despite running hotter. Advantages like mech profile, speed and hardpoint location.

Wat?

At the end of the day, the BLR-1G, with all of its quirks and all of the heat skills, can only fire 50 damage once every 6.08 seconds once it is heat capped, while the longer-ranged MAD-IIC can fire 63 once every 6.01 seconds under the same conditions.

That is broken.

The times you are looking for are between 5.3 to 5.5 for the BLR-1G and 6.3 to 6.5 for the MAD-IIC

The first 30 seconds only matter in a push, which is an edge-case. Otherwise it's the back-half of the graph that represents how lasers are played the majority of the time in any given match. They poke over and over, staying up near 100% heat as much as they can, holding coolshots in reserve for pushes and securing kills. That the BLR-1G, with its prodigious quirks and using MedLas instead of the more task-appropriate ER MedLas, is only just keeping pace with the MAD-IIC - while still possessing an 80+ meter range deficit and a 13-point alpha deficit - should alarm the crap out of you on the state of the game for every other 'Mech besides this one exceptional option.

A.) You are not going to get 50 damage out of the BLR-1G's or 3M's mix of LPL and ML by only using the good torso mounts, you have to also use that craptastic arm mount (and the same holds true for the WHM-6D, which everybody likes to conveniently forget, while the HBR has all of its lasers in high torso positions); the only way to get 50 from the torso with lasers is to mass LL, which requires losing the duration contest, or mass LPL, which requires an XL.

B.) Go do the damage-over-duration math for the MAD-IIC; actually, I'll save you the trouble. In 1 second, the MAD-IIC does 59.13 damage. In 0.9 seconds, it will do a little over 53. While, yes, the BLR will do all 55 in 0.765 seconds, it isn't agile enough for its shape or size to really spread the bulk of that incoming Clan damage, with those drawbacks compounding against your own human limitations. If you are firing when he fires at you, you are going to eat it. You are only going to spread it if you were spreading before the shot occurs. This has been true since forever and is at the heart of why mid-range IS laser vomit assaults are binned in favor of Clan flavors despite so many on-paper advantages that make it look like they might be comparable.

I would love to see a MAD-IIC poke "over and over" like you describe and fire all of its weapons without exposing fully... and I'd love to time that poke as well. Its still one of the best laser vomit mechs. But lets not pretend its low and distributed firepower and slow accel/decel suddenly disappears when it fits the narrative.
Removing one (er) med laser on the arm does not affect the BLR performance in the long run... letting you fire the high mounts constantly

However ,you are correct that IS mechs with no quirks can not compete in terms of laser build potency. Its not between MAD-IIC and BLR. Clans have many more laser vomit mechs with no answer from IS.

No you wouldn't. You will be out-DPS'd by cMPL at 380 meters, and above it you can't deliver your damage competitively with the MAD-IIC. You are too big, too slow, and too wide to evade the incoming 63 damage, and the small advantage in initial burst does not represent the way you need to be playing that 'Mech. You will also find that 'Mechs that you could kill in two exposures with the MAD-IIC require three with the BLR-1G.

Oh, now you are comparing it to an MPL boat?... a build that is made to brawl?

When you hear that a mech CAN brawl "if required" does not mean that its the best option for the task. It means that you can't catch it with its pants down the way you can do to a laser vomit MAD-IIC

You will smash some inferior teams with it and then you'll underperform against a peer team and your drop commander will tell you to stop wasting an Assault slot on an overweight Black Knight.

Both clan and IS have better mid-range assault mechs than laser vomit MAD-IICs and BLRs. So I don't think my drop commander would be saying something like that.

I should also clarify that I personally liked it in PTS2.1. That was in my opinion the closest we have been to a meaningful change. higher dissipation with even higher cap in October will only make matters worse with already dominant UAC boats.

btw... when did the black knight get high mounted torso hardpoints?

Edited by Navid A1, 09 September 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#115 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:54 PM

So light clan mechs are being pushed even futher into the boat mgs or your worthless neiche with clan lasers getting more damage nerfs ?

IS er large lights like lyens 3 er large laser raven will be unplayable with heat changes ? I dont see other 6 medium laser or small laser IS lights staying as bad as they currently are and will get worse or am i wrong ?

Once again blanket chainsaw surgery when a few scaples is needed ?

On laser duration changes not making any difference , your pts data tells you how much a person twists ? How?

Edited by Cadoazreal, 10 September 2018 - 12:55 PM.

#116 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

Oh and i Love having to track down these sorts of post threads in 10 different places myself and im sure the other 600 people still playing (s) really enjoy having to sift themselves aswell. Rather than all posts like this on reddit / twitter / fp forum / etc having an announcement thread link to them.

#117 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

While we know that Heavy and Assault 'Mechs are often among the most beloved and favorite 'Mechs within the BattleTech community, this favoritism is not one that we on the balance team can feed into when it comes to balancing the 'Mechs against one another within the context of a PvP first person shooter.
thats let seeing ...PGI understand never from MW or BT ...good thats not infantry ,Tanks or Aerospacfighters in game ...thats like balancing a Humvee against a M1 Abrams...Mechwarrior was never in each way a PvP FPS !!!! we her not have Human Soldiers thats have only an mainweapon and all the same Constitution ,Size and Hitzone ...thats more War thunder

And TTK to low ? when 6 Mechs firing of a Still standing Light while her aim , with a single large Laser , so the TTK is low...other side im seeing news thats firing full 2 minutes of a Shutdown orion and can not kill the guy while can not aim in a Range of 150m...The VIP Atlas has a Higher AI as many MWO players..PGI hear not of the whiners , better play you Game an see what the Playstyle of the Mary Sues

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 September 2018 - 07:29 AM.

#118 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

A couple more thoughts on the Heatsink change, after taking a couple days to think about things

- With the "new" SHS, I'm noticing that the cap difference on some large mechs seems to have gotten to the point where SHS become a realistic option, at least for some IS assaults.
For example, If I'm reading those charts correctly, a 30 SHS Battlemaster, Reasonably obtainable if one drops from the usual 325 engine down to a 300, Should have 4.2 Dissipation, with a 70.5 Cap.
When compared with a 4.4 Dissipation and a 55 cap for a similar 20 DHS build, you then are really only sacrificing some speed, and a shade of Raw Dissipation for a pretty significant Cap Boost.

While obviously still not something that will be common, it does at least make people consider them a realistic option. Throw in the fact that the cap benefit should only get larger, and the speed penalty smaller on the even bigger IS assaults, and you might actually see SHS being the go-to for IS Energy-based assaults outside of a couple of novelty builds.

- The DHS change in general is a buff, which will widen the difference between IS and clan mechs. (Since the basic logic is - make something clan mechs have more of stronger, = clan buff.) While I suspect that the laser nerfs will generally out-weigh this change for that set of weapons, (Remeber, after the laser change, Clan ERMeds, and HLLs will be less heat efficent, since their heat didn't get changed,) it will improve clan Dakka/Missile mechs more than comparable IS mechs, since they will still carry more, now stronger sinks.

- The changes ignore C-gauss - Still.

Edited by Daurock, 10 September 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#119 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 September 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

But lets not pretend its low and distributed firepower and slow accel/decel suddenly disappears when it fits the narrative.

The slow accel/decel isn't really a problem with long duration lasers. You are gonna expose for a while regardless.

Removing one (er) med laser on the arm does not affect the BLR performance in the long run... letting you fire the high mounts constantly

It does impact how much damage you are able to throw around per poke which DOES matter though. Generally with the quick duration you want great accel/decel (along the lines of the old 3 LPL Quickdraw) to really take advantage of the short duration and good mounts (with quick cooldown and low alpha damage).

Clans have many more laser vomit mechs with no answer from IS.

Sorry, but I'm gonna need you to clarify this because this reads as an admission that you aren't really doing a fair comparison (top end laser vomit builds vs each other).

Oh, now you are comparing it to an MPL boat?... a build that is made to brawl?

When you hear that a mech CAN brawl "if required" does not mean that its the best option for the task. It means that you can't catch it with its pants down the way you can do to a laser vomit MAD-IIC

First, you can catch a BLR-1G in a brawl just like you can a MAD-IIC.....the BLR-1G offers nothing special that allow it to be magically better in brawls especially since it has an extremely restricted twist range of 60 degrees, which is worse than the MAD-IIC.

Second, cMPLs are not brawling weapons and never have been.....short range poke has always been their place (think old school Boomcat).

View PostDaurock, on 10 September 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

- With the "new" SHS, I'm noticing that the cap difference on some large mechs seems to have gotten to the point where SHS become a realistic option, at least for some IS assaults.
For example, If I'm reading those charts correctly, a 30 SHS Battlemaster, Reasonably obtainable if one drops from the usual 325 engine down to a 300, Should have 4.2 Dissipation, with a 70.5 Cap.
When compared with a 4.4 Dissipation and a 55 cap for a similar 20 DHS build, you then are really only sacrificing some speed, and a shade of Raw Dissipation for a pretty significant Cap Boost.

This reminds me, SHS really got shafted on this change. The fact they still come out short against IS DHS should say something given IS DHS simply don't compare to Clan DHS. RIP SHS Supernova.

#120 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

I think you guys are making a mistake increasing dissipation rate so much and allowing capacity to scale infinitely. I thought 0.2 h/s was a touch too high for externals+internals, but 0.22 is going beyond that. You have to remember that most players who are boating hot builds are also maxing out Heat Gen, Coolrun, Heat Containment, and Coolshot skills.

All this together, I worry that we could actually see an increase in alphastrike damage as players are able to bring an extra weapon or two with their dramatically increased dissipation rate. 6 nerfed Clan Medium Lasers does more damage than 5 current C-MPL. In fact I would say this will almost certainly happen on the Inner Sphere side as their weapon stats have been mostly left intact. Then we're back to the original issue where you're going around nerfing individual weapons and destroying off-target builds in the process.

If weapons like PPCs and AC/20s were heat spiking too hard, I would have looked at tinkering with their heat, or selectively quirking certain mechs rather than just buffing the pants off the 2.1 heatsinks.

My hope is that after this comes out you guys are still willing to come back to this problem and adjust heatsink values if it isn't turning out like you expected.

Edited by Jman5, 10 September 2018 - 09:11 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users