#101 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 20 September 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

Don't you get them on the march to the firing line though? I don't know what the actual mechanic is or how often it fires, it just happens passively.
I don't particularly like huge deathballs as they obviously lead to easy arty, but when doing siege attack it's pretty easy to group up and move in (even at two gates) and advantageous even when moving into a firing line to move together rather than everyone trickling in.I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff as I've only been playing 2 months and just try to do what my drop callers tell me to (and I get more wins with a drop caller than without) and the hand holding is appreciated while I come out of my training wheels. I've seen top FP groups and played with some where I am definitely the odd man out where battle comms are only targets damaged. Something to work towards for sure!

Yea, that's where I got the 87 I have probably, from grouping up on the way to the enemy. Often we'll have very different movement rates though, like one guy will bring a warhammer or something, and I'll be in an Annihilator, so we won't get the lance in formation because we don't wait for people to catch up, just get into position and trade with the enemy, and if you're being out-traded either fade back or wait for reinforcement.

Siege attack it's easy to get into the deathball, but generally you only have to do that for the first push through the gate. My group played an organized group (well, 8 of us + 4 pugs vs like 8 of them + like 4 pugs) on Boreal yesterday, and we were on attack. Wave 1, we just stood outside both gates for a bit and softened them up with ER Laser fire in a large firing line, when their heads were down we blew the gates and went in through both sides, and slowly pushed on them with a very wide (like across 3 grid squares) firing line, slowly advancing and hitting them with ER Lasers. Took almost 14 minutes for that first wave.... but our next waves were faster (with the same tactic) and we eventually killed them all. Just takes time and patience.

On maps like Vitric it's a bit harder because there are more choke points, but you can still spread out and try to trade from multiple positions instead of forming a single death ball. Forming a wide firing line and trading, while slowly pushing into the enemy base, is a lot of fun IMO and the best way to slowly pick apart an enemy.

That's not to say deathballing is a bad tactic... ISMO and KCOM and other units like them that run 4 waves of brawl heavies can be very difficult to deal with.

My group also doesn't really drop call though, we all just kinda default to this playstyle and it seems to work pretty well. Unless someone calls LRMs though, in which case we all just bring LRMs and hope to god we have a NARC light on our team otherwise we're gonna be useless.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 20 September 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#102 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:50 AM

The thing about huge death-balls is it's easier to focus fire the enemy with everyone having a similar field of fire, you offer a lotta targets, which can make focus fire harder for the opfor. It also has an edge against a loose battle line like Eisenhorne was talking about, since you pretty much just hit one end of the line and then just roll up the team, focus firing as you go.

It's a go to tactic because it's got alot going for it, but I salute anyone who manages to hold or break a death ball. It takes alotta teamwork and individual skill to keep everyone engaged and hold off a deathball when it tries turning a flank and running up a firing line.

<o.

~Leone.

#103 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:53 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 September 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

Yea, that's where I got the 87 I have probably, from grouping up on the way to the enemy. Often we'll have very different movement rates though, like one guy will bring a warhammer or something, and I'll be in an Annihilator, so we won't get the lance in formation because we don't wait for people to catch up, just get into position and trade with the enemy, and if you're being out-traded either fade back or wait for reinforcement.

Siege attack it's easy to get into the deathball, but generally you only have to do that for the first push through the gate. My group played an organized group (well, 8 of us + 4 pugs vs like 8 of them + like 4 pugs) on Boreal yesterday, and we were on attack. Wave 1, we just stood outside both gates for a bit and softened them up with ER Laser fire in a large firing line, when their heads were down we blew the gates and went in through both sides, and slowly pushed on them with a very wide (like across 3 grid squares) firing line, slowly advancing and hitting them with ER Lasers. Took almost 14 minutes for that first wave.... but our next waves were faster (with the same tactic) and we eventually killed them all. Just takes time and patience.

On maps like Vitric it's a bit harder because there are more choke points, but you can still spread out and try to trade from multiple positions instead of forming a single death ball. Forming a wide firing line and trading, while slowly pushing into the enemy base, is a lot of fun IMO and the best way to slowly pick apart an enemy.

That's not to say deathballing is a bad tactic... ISMO and KCOM and other units like them that run 4 waves of brawl heavies can be very difficult to deal with.

My group also doesn't really drop call though, we all just kinda default to this playstyle and it seems to work pretty well. Unless someone calls LRMs though, in which case we all just bring LRMs and hope to god we have a NARC light on our team otherwise we're gonna be useless.

Yeah I've played 1-2 games with ISMO and KCOM and me with JAY calling (jeex does he have a high WLR). I'm in no way discounting.MS, they definitely have 12+ players that can beat any other unit in the game, and thankfully they focus on helping new players learn faction play and split up their talent to help 2 dropships work well.

#104 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 20 September 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Do you start matches on VOIP like some do with these statements 'stick together, focus fire, use your R keys etc..' like I hear a lot of players do? If everyone did this, lance in formation would be a habit, not a rarity.

I gave up on that a while ago.

If i call something like "3 mechs from the left" team usually runs away to the right.
Assuming the tier i am in, i expect people to know what the r key does and such.

#105 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 20 September 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

If i call something like "3 mechs from the left" team usually runs away to the right.
Assuming the tier i am in, i expect people to know what the r key does and such.

I agree, and said the same in my reply to Eisen or someone else. It still shouldn't be too hard in T1 to get lance together in QP, and if you are trying to get that, maybe DO call it out?

And as a T1, you probably don't care that much if you don't get every tiny event qualifier either, just guessing :)
I don't think most of the people I play with even got their loot bags in faction play, and they are a faction play unit.

Edited by BumbaCLot, 20 September 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#106 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:15 AM

View PostBumbaCLot, on 20 September 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Do you start matches on VOIP like some do with these statements 'stick together, focus fire, use your R keys etc..' like I hear a lot of players do? If everyone did this, lance in formation would be a habit, not a rarity.

Yes and no - depends on the mech role and the lance you get dumped in. On the prepared statement thats usually just to get people in the mindset I suspect. I call targets and enemy intel frequently (a habit from FW and group play) but I can't pretend I ever use a statement like that. ;)

#107 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:22 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 September 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

Yea, that's where I got the 87 I have probably, from grouping up on the way to the enemy. Often we'll have very different movement rates though, like one guy will bring a warhammer or something, and I'll be in an Annihilator, so we won't get the lance in formation because we don't wait for people to catch up, just get into position and trade with the enemy, and if you're being out-traded either fade back or wait for reinforcement. Siege attack it's easy to get into the deathball, but generally you only have to do that for the first push through the gate. My group played an organized group (well, 8 of us + 4 pugs vs like 8 of them + like 4 pugs) on Boreal yesterday, and we were on attack. Wave 1, we just stood outside both gates for a bit and softened them up with ER Laser fire in a large firing line, when their heads were down we blew the gates and went in through both sides, and slowly pushed on them with a very wide (like across 3 grid squares) firing line, slowly advancing and hitting them with ER Lasers. Took almost 14 minutes for that first wave.... but our next waves were faster (with the same tactic) and we eventually killed them all. Just takes time and patience. On maps like Vitric it's a bit harder because there are more choke points, but you can still spread out and try to trade from multiple positions instead of forming a single death ball. Forming a wide firing line and trading, while slowly pushing into the enemy base, is a lot of fun IMO and the best way to slowly pick apart an enemy. That's not to say deathballing is a bad tactic... ISMO and KCOM and other units like them that run 4 waves of brawl heavies can be very difficult to deal with. My group also doesn't really drop call though, we all just kinda default to this playstyle and it seems to work pretty well. Unless someone calls LRMs though, in which case we all just bring LRMs and hope to god we have a NARC light on our team otherwise we're gonna be useless.

The thing about deathballing is usually when you get the person in the lead to flinch and stop even for a second the whole group stops.... the joy of poptarting and highly visible projectiles hammering into the lead mech. ;)

#108 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:27 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 20 September 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

Not trying to be critical as its great when people pass intel but including possible types and grid influences peoples reactions a lot... Particularly if you add the words "Just", "look to be on their own", etc. ;)

People like easyish kills.

If you want to make them panic just say the word "PIRANHA!!!!!" Posted Image

#109 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:52 AM

Did we get the 3M CB TSP bonus?

#110 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:55 AM

View Postsuffocater, on 21 September 2018 - 04:52 AM, said:

I don't recall getting it, no.

#111 Cazador88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:43 AM

View Postsuffocater, on 21 September 2018 - 04:52 AM, said:

Me neither.

#112 Necronom IV

• Pip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

I contacted support with this. And they stated that the bonus was delivered together with the rewards from the challenge on claiming it. Means TSP owners got 500k instead of 250k for claming a single reward.

Pretty sure the rewards screen has shown 250k everytime ... buuut i haven't really paid any attention to this ...

Quote:

.I've checked on your account and see that the TSP bonuses were delivered to your account as you were completing the Weekend Warrior Event Challenges.

#113 ERescue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

@Necronom IV: Since I actually screenshot some of the rewards, I know they showed 250 000. But to be honest, I did NOT cross-check whether they actually added 500 000 as I have a reasonably large amount of C-bills to make certain that lack of C-bills is generally not even a small problem, while the lack of Mech bays and / or MC occasionally is.

#114 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

View PostAramuside, on 21 September 2018 - 01:22 AM, said:

The thing about deathballing is usually when you get the person in the lead to flinch and stop even for a second the whole group stops.... the joy of poptarting and highly visible projectiles hammering into the lead mech. Posted Image

Yeah, that's the "Lemming Effect"... People just won't step up to protect their Teammate so that one can fall back a little and continue to help everyone with their available remaining firepower. Instead, the Leading Mech ends up dying, causing the Team who had that Mech to lose that firepower, which sets up a possible "Snowball Effect" that can result in their loss later. :(

View PostERescue, on 21 September 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

@Necronom IV: Since I actually screenshot some of the rewards, I know they showed 250 000. But to be honest, I did NOT cross-check whether they actually added 500 000 as I have a reasonably large amount of C-bills to make certain that lack of C-bills is generally not even a small problem, while the lack of Mech bays and / or MC occasionally is.

I wonder if PGI had a Bug which they're not seeing where it flips the Database Indicators to say it was delivered, but then actually was never paid. I hope they have Error Logging on their Items Injection Service to Player Accounts, because that's probably where the issue happened, if it really did. :blink:

~D. V. "So many problems, some of PGI's doing, some of the Community's..." Devnull

#115 myzticSP

Rookie

• Hero of Davion
  • Hero of Davion
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:02 AM

View PostNinjah, on 16 September 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

Just noticed that AMS and LAMS shoots down missiles thru rocks on Caustics Valley. Nice coding xD

AMS shoot through the tunnel an Grimson and you can shoot missiles from the basement on HPG...

#116 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostmyzticSP, on 21 September 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

AMS shoot through the tunnel an Grimson and you can shoot missiles from the basement on HPG...

Is that effective or just wasted ammo/heat though?

#117 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostAramuside, on 26 September 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Is that effective or just wasted ammo/heat though?

Yes it shoots down the missiles, so if all you care about is AMS score for challenges its fine, but yeah questionable given the missiles never would have hit. Handy for "I wonder where people under are" checks though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users