Fall Harvest Event And Sale

201 replies to this topic

#21 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:45 PM

Enough of the events - just fix the game please.

#22 Dithmenos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

reducing the difficulty again? that's one way to take the word "challenge" out of the challenge.

#23 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

I think the challenges are reasonable. I don't know if I have the time to put in for all of them, especially the 5 victories per weight class part (that's, on average, 40 QP games).
If I get it, great, if not, oh well. I've got plenty of other things to do.

Anyone want to sign up to buy a half-cow worth of grass fed beef in Texas two years from now? Posted Image

#24 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Headshot requirement reduced to 1

#25 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:10 PM

I suggest swapping the "get a headshot" requirement, to a "be head shot once" requirement.

This compensates for receiving a headshot instead of aggravating it, while being no less then every bit as rare to pull off.

#26 BumbaCLot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 04 October 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

I suggest swapping the "get a headshot" requirement, to a "be head shot once" requirement.

This compensates for receiving a headshot instead of aggravating it, while being no less then every bit as rare to pull off.

Or we could all just be good citizens and run 0 head armor for the week?

#27 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 04 October 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

In my opinion, as a potato T2 pilot, it should have stayed at 2 headshots.

#28 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Matt, any bonus rewards for players who bought the "tournament supporter pack" for completing each challenge?

#29 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostPraetorGix, on 04 October 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Hmm, good thing I more or less have all the colors I want because the headshots challenge is absurd. I play since open beta and still haven't achieved the 10 headshot milestone.

Since Jan 4, 2016... 76 head shots total across all accounts. That's also about 20,000 matches... so yeah... its completely statistically likely, for me to get 1, during an event lasting a few days in the normal course of play, without being gifted a shutdown/afk to farm.

Edited by Dee Eight, 04 October 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#30 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

I fear this headshot is only to bring out the aimbot cries, some legit ,and some just wolf howls

#31 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 04 October 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

I fear this headshot is only to bring out the aimbot cries, some legit ,and some just wolf howls

OR...its pgi gathering data on who's accounts & matches bear closer scrutiny. I caught one player i was spectating using on a week ago. Had 7 kills in an urbie which it itself isn't any evidence of cheating... but when his weapons keep triggering whenever he's lined up with an enemy locked target, even when terrain is in the way (like the walls of a base), and all he has is a rac/2, 3 medium lasers and a pair of machine guns.... and every weapon triggers even though they're on seperate fire groups, are all hitscan types and half of them have spread (not to mention the MGs weren't even close to the needed range to hit the target... even if it wasn't behind a solid wall).

#32 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hi there. Glad to see you chatting on the Event Threads again. Frankly, I hope to see you around a lot more. :D

Anywho, got a quick question... If someone has acquired the Light/Medium/Heavy/Assault Decals before, will the system replace this round of Reward with anything? For example, each of those Decals (if I remember right) cost 180 (MC), so would it perhaps pay out half that amount -- in this case 90 (MC) worth -- as compensation instead of leaving someone with only the (C-Bills) payment and a Duplicate Injection of Decal that has no effect at all? :huh:

Also, while of slightly lesser significance on my post... Asking for 500 Match Score in one match? Any chance we (as in, me and anyone who happens to feel the same way as I do but won't post because they feel too intimidated about the matter) could ask for 450 MS (probably 475 MS), just to give a few slightly-less-than-perfect and slightly-less-than-super-lucky players a fighting chance to reach the Challenge Goal? Maybe I'm goofy in the brain pan, or just tired of seeing stressed players out there, but 500 MS seems like overkill. Yes, I want a Hard Challenge there, but I also want to see teams function better together instead of somebody thinking they've got to manage being the 'High Hero' or some such. If you're unwilling to adjust that one, could we have some insight on why such a dangerously high bar was chosen? :o

~D. V. "Yay, it's the Events Guy! Among questions, how does the Event System handle Duplicate Decal Injection?" Devnull

#33 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:12 PM

Please just remove the requirement. The only reliable way to get headshots is to be at the right range, have appropriate pinpoint weapons in convenient hardpoints (depending on the target mech), and have an AFK target. Headshots in MWO are 99% luck, and 0.9% also luck. I think I've gotten one or two legitimate headshots against a non-AFK target in almost 800 hours playing, and I wasn't even aiming for their heads. I legitimately felt bad about it. There was no skill involve in it. I just got lucky with dual heavy gauss (which I expect we're going to see a lot of for the next week, since it ups your chance of a headshot kill by a huge margin).

To be honest, the game would be better if there weren't headshots at all. It doesn't feel good to be on the giving side or the receiving side of a headshot kill. In 99% of cases, the biggest difference having headshots in the game makes, is that occasionally you take an AC20 to the head and it saves your life because that's 20 damage not going to your CT, and statistically, they won't be hitting your head again before the end of the match.

#34 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

Unfortunately, I can't remove the headshot requirement entirely at this point and I am also unable to change the 500 Match score.

The event has been altered so that particular challenge is not required to "finish" the event.
however, it remains for those who may finish everything else but want that one last difficult challenge.
My sympathies to those with event completion OCD.

ALSO
on Decals, if you already own these decals there is no prize replacement feature.
I try not to give out decals for this reason but these just seem appropriate for this challenge.

Matt

#35 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 04 October 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I can't remove the headshot requirement entirely at this point and I am also unable to change the 500 Match score.

The event has been altered so that particular challenge is not required to "finish" the event.
however, it remains for those who may finish everything else but want that one last difficult challenge.

ALSO
on Decals, if you already own these decals there is no prize replacement feature.
I try not to give out decals for this reason but these just seem appropriate for this challenge.

Matt

Thanks for that. :)

I just hope that in the future, headshots won't be used as challenge criteria; at least not for anything with a significant reward.

I'm really not looking forward to Dual Heavy Gauss Week.

#36 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

[Redacted] 1 or 2 headshots makes no difference. Flamers and 6MPL on a stormcrow or nova and it is done in no time. 500MS? Just bring a dakka assault and that is easily done. People these days....NO you don't get a cookie for hitting the keyboard on the correct side. [Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 05 October 2018 - 12:01 PM.
unconstructive, inappropriate language

#37 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostPeter Allard, on 04 October 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

It has been a Dual Heavy Gauss in every match with the release of the Fafnir for C-Bills.

True enough. I'm hoping that now that the Faf is out for C-Bills, they can nerf heavy Gauss with fewer complaints.

#38 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

Can you move all the weight class victory challenges into one challenge so you don't kill the FP queue? People in FP can just skip that one to complete the event.

#39 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 October 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Maybe I'm goofy in the brain pan, or just tired of seeing stressed players out there, but 500 MS seems like overkill. Yes, I want a Hard Challenge there, but I also want to see teams function better together instead of somebody thinking they've got to manage being the 'High Hero' or some such.

This particular challenge is clearly aimed at the best players (hence the name "Super Star Challenge") and is therefore not required to get the full 'pick-your-price' stuff. If you don't think: "No problem", then the challenge is just not meant for you.

For example in my non-meta, non-cheese Bushracker i do 500+ MS on average, and 700+ MS happens quite regularly while having a huge impact on the match in terms of W/L. So from my perspective the challenge is still too easy, i will probably fulfill it within my first two matches.

View PostSable Dove, on 04 October 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Please just remove the requirement. The only reliable way to get headshots is to be at the right range, have appropriate pinpoint weapons in convenient hardpoints (depending on the target mech), and have an AFK target. Headshots in MWO are 99% luck, and 0.9% also luck.

I disagree. If you take a build tailored to do headshots and learn the cockpit locations you can easily net at least a headshot per evening without being a burden to your team. As mentioned above the challenge is not aimed at you if you think it's too hard. The players this challenge is aimed at will easily get 10+ headshots during the event's week.

Headshots in MWO are 99% dedication and training.

Also as far as i know, you wont get a headshot from AFK disconnected mechs. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 05 October 2018 - 12:12 AM.

#40 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

Understood. I hope they give you a better Event Challenge Editor in the future, as I personally feel you should have better control over Events that are mounted for use and how they're configured. :)

I did see that when I came back online earlier after having a power failure at my place. It's very much appreciated that you have the '1 Challenge Overhead' as a cushion for those that could have problems somewhere. :D

In the Humor Category, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some get that "Super Star Challenge", but then have some problem with one of the others. Which reminds me, thank you for putting a 7-Day Runtime on this Event! I'll hopefully have a chance to earn something this time, instead of being run into the pavement by Real Life. B)

ALSO

Matt

Roger that. Sorry to hear they don't have a Catcher in the Event Systems as of yet. I hope they'll provide you with one in the future. ^_^

~D. V. "I'm gonna go throw a 'Like' on your post. Very glad to have & see open comms here!" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users