47 replies to this topic

#1 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:31 PM

Click baited!!!

With the latest event going on at the moment I have experienced the frustration of the changes the last Artemis nerf inflicted. Now I don't normally use any lock on missiles mainly because there are funner weapons out there (LL's i love them) however I tried the streaks to get the tag assist part done.

While they are hilarious as when they work I feel like the lock-on is pretty much gimped so I wish to propose a change that may restore some functionality for all missiles while keeping the "this or that" feel the mech lab gives us.

This is where the skill tree comes into play and I think PGI needs to use the system they created to giveth back instead of taketh away.

- New sensor tree nodes that increase lock on speed.

Now here is the thing, they should be a deep investment like radar dep or ecm nodes however there is plenty of spaces where 4/5 new nodes could be placed. Each node would give a % to lock on speeds which when all five are taken would be similar to what was lost during the Artemis nerf.

I have created a rough copy for everyone to see below,

https://imgur.com/9jlV1yI

Any thoughts?

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 07 October 2018 - 12:27 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:11 AM

I prefer insta-lock, fire-and-forget LRMs with only 125 m/s speed. Posted Image

That way it can be used easily from midrange by anyone, and AMS can really counter it. No more idiotic face staring.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 October 2018 - 01:20 AM.

#3 Zebbi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:12 AM

Sounds like a good idea, at the moment all lock on weapons are really close to being useless due to the crazy lock on time/mechanics.

It would be a pity to see the diversity off MWO reduced by crap streaks atm lrms etc.

Next on the dev's list is laser vomit , when lasers are bad next will be ballistic.

Then 2 thing will have been accomplished, time to kill will increase (due to all weapons being

crap) and second everyone will be pissed off due to whatever weapons they like being bad.

#4 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:39 AM

The weird thing about the Artemis nerf was the fact that they could have just done what I am suggesting from the start and everyone probably would have been like "yeah na thats fair enough" cause technically it was a bug that they hadn't fixed for ages.

It would have made PGI look like champions for Lock-on missiles and would have showed us belief in their own skill tree system instead we have this mediocre feels when it comes to missiles.

Also Idiotic face staring is what lazor vom or dak dak is now anyways but at least if I twist away I can get back on target straight away and not have to wait for the swirling thingy to do its thing before I can fire (I would just dumb fire thou haha).

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 07 October 2018 - 01:46 AM.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:31 AM

Except that LRMs are currently at their strongest position since they were accidentally made head/ct seeking.

#6 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

But when you fire any weapon wouldn't you aim for center mass anyways? Its pretty easy to counter lurms in all honesty and i hardly see people getting cored out by them. However I can roam around and mass murder anything I look at with HGR's easy as or any direct fire weapon for that matter.

I'm not advocating for lurms by themselves but the whole lock-on missile class of weapons because everything but LRMs just feel clanky to use and not fun. I personally dont use missiles to much anymore as they dont have the stopping power I need to win constantly but if changes like the skill nodes make people want to play them so be it. I would rather play a game that has a variety of players doing things they like as opposed to a game without players at all.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

People cried (to Momma PGI), missiles died (by being nerfed into the ground). Posted Image

As I have been saying all these years, at least half of the problems with this game can be traced back to the player base. <shrugs>

#8 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Dumb weapon system, low effort for maximum reward. Please go play other games if this is your idea of a FPS, sitting behind a hill and letting the game aim for you.

#9 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

lrms were used before and still used now. also ughhh lurm threadPosted Image
a lock on speed node is not needed, target comp already does that for a cost of tonnagePosted Image

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 October 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

I prefer insta-lock, fire-and-forget LRMs with only 125 m/s speed. Posted Image

That way it can be used easily from midrange by anyone, and AMS can really counter it. No more idiotic face staring.

are you talkin about the mw4 lerms?Posted Image

#10 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostVariant1, on 07 October 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

lrms were used before and still used now. also ughhh lurm threadPosted Image
a lock on speed node is not needed, target comp already does that for a cost of tonnagePosted Image

I also agree no lock on node is required, however target comp does not increase lock on speed. It increases paper doll speed. The Artemis nerf took away a 50% speed bonus to actually lock onto a target. Tag also has a 50% bonus. These used to stack as well. Also taking Artemis was never totally "free" tonnage wise. Artemis launchers weigh 1 more ton for each launcher and take up one more slot space per launcher.

While I do think the nerf to Artemis makes Artemis completely useless, the Salty tears about LRM "nerfs" are in my opinion overblown. Other than the lock on speed nerf, I have not noticed a difference.

#11 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostSiegegun, on 07 October 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

I also agree no lock on node is required, however target comp does not increase lock on speed. It increases paper doll speed. The Artemis nerf took away a 50% speed bonus to actually lock onto a target. Tag also has a 50% bonus. These used to stack as well. Also taking Artemis was never totally "free" tonnage wise. Artemis launchers weigh 1 more ton for each launcher and take up one more slot space per launcher.

While I do think the nerf to Artemis makes Artemis completely useless, the Salty tears about LRM "nerfs" are in my opinion overblown. Other than the lock on speed nerf, I have not noticed a difference.

yeah artemis wise i think they should buff it by increasing lock on size for artemis. Not only that it would be nice if artemis could hold the lock for 8 seconds with LOS, that way artemis would be good for direct fire playstyle, and indirect would have a small window for lock on and no 8 second lock after straying from that window.

#12 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

Thoughts? Lrm boats do not need agillity or armor and fill out most of the sensor tree already for target decay, so the cost woulde only be 8 nodes or so. Make TC give lock speed would mostly benefit assults bc tonnage. Could be an idea for new quirk on certain chassis.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

are you talkin about the mw4 lerms?Posted Image

MW4 lurms had lock on time. I'm actually talking about applying MW4 SSRM mechanic to MWO's guided missiles.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 October 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#14 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:19 AM

WRONG.

Do you even missile, bro?

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 07 October 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#15 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

target comp already does that for a cost of tonnagePosted Image

T-COMPS DO NOT DECREASE LOCK ON TIME.

Seriously. STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS.

#16 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 October 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

MW4 lurms had lock on time. I'm actually talking about applying MW4 SSRM mechanic to MWO's guided missiles.

that would be highly imbalanced, lights would die more quicker then they already do and that would make lrm spam even worse.

View PostHiten Bongz, on 07 October 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

WRONG.

Do you even missile, bro?

RIGHT, i do. i just dont target comp broPosted Image

View PostPrototelis, on 07 October 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

T-COMPS DO NOT DECREASE LOCK ON TIME.

Seriously. STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS.

NO Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

Honestly having the TC add lock-on speed is a idea I had in a past post. I just want people to play and saying that lurms are for the unskilled is why people feel alienated and stop playing. They are the gateway weapon to get people in and they really not that hard to beat once you understand core mechanics in this game.

Plus isn't lazor vom not the same unskilled style? you basically look at some one and shave half their face off with one alpha. Its the same with dakka too. Its just how they work and its fun to play that style hence why I play my fav 3x LL hellspawn every chance I get.

I have to admit while I'm not a fan of seeing Incoming missile all the time, we really do have to stop bashing people for wanting to play their own way.

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 07 October 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#18 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

I would definitely be in favor of sensor equipment and/or skill nodes to reduce lock-on. Streaks are pretty absurd because you often have such a small window to engage a marauding light. Also, Tag should work like it used to and give you insta-locks.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:38 PM

Skill tree does not need more nodes.

#20 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts