Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Glad your still trucking along.

#22 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:21 PM

Small bits of progress, I'm learning as I go. It took me 5 hours to replicate a naked version of the joints.

Posted Image

#23 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Progress is slow due to my learning this all as I go but the foot us mostly finished with articulating toes and I've begun reworking the calf and ankle. I decided that it needed a visible means of dominating and pronating its foot and so I added the pistons that would allow it to do just that. This of course requires a full redesign of the ankle, calf, and heel, but it will be great when it's finished.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:36 PM

So I've done a lot of work on the feet and lower legs over the course of this week, and they're mostly finished now. The biggest challenge was making the design so that the feet can actually move through a useful range of motion without the components clipping like crazy.

The heel still needs a few hours more work to be finished, but then I finally can start moving upwards. Thankfully the rest of the model that Kenesthor made last year based on my sketch doesn't require any major redesigns like the legs did, just a bit more in the way of detailing.

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Davian, 22 February 2020 - 10:38 PM.

#25 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

The Lower leg is finished and the work on the upper leg has begun.

Turn tables with the links

https://i.gyazo.com/...de5c4015afa.mp4
https://i.gyazo.com/...5b5333b174f.mp4

Edited by Hans Davian, 23 February 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#26 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:53 AM

New resting position that makes more sense and allows for the thigh to move and flex like a plantigrade leg without any issues

Posted Image

Very early on in the process. The top part of the digitigrade portion of the leg rests in the grove on top.

Posted Image

#27 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:18 PM

Would be cool to see the finished product added as a mod for HBS Battletech

#28 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

View PostOutlaw, on 25 February 2020 - 05:18 PM, said:

Would be cool to see the finished product added as a mod for HBS Battletech

I was asked about that about 6 months ago and only saw the message last week because I hadn't been to the forums in forever. Once it's done then absolutely I'd love to see it used for that.

A lot of progress has been made over the last 24 hours. I managed to finish the first half of the digitigrade portion of the leg. The goal of the design is for the top and bottom halfs to fit together naturally and intuitively, though the challenge of the upper half is making it small enough that it doesn't interfere with the movement of the plantigrade knee.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:12 PM

The leg redesign of the legs is finally almost finished.

Posted Image

#30 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:30 PM

It took most of a month as I struggled to learn Blender but I I've finally finished the redesigned legs for my take on the Falcon FLC-4N. I've tested each individual joint to make sure it it can move through the designed ranges of motion without clipping other components.

The rest of the mech I effectively finished barring the need for some additional detailing on the back (I never did concept sketches of the back so Kenesthor left it mostly blank). Hopefully I'll have it completed sometime next month.

It took most of a month as I struggled to learn Blender but I I've finally finished the redesigned legs for my take on the Falcon FLC-4N. I've tested each individual joint to make sure it it can move through the designed ranges of motion without clipping other components. The rest of the mech I effectively finished barring the need for some additional detailing on the back (I never did concept sketches of the back so Kenesthor left it mostly blank). Hopefully I'll have it completed sometime next month. [Img]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/d2487afc-1992-40d8-97c5-0d4cf1a2f933/ddrv5p4-befce9df-4675-4d44-ad33-4c3ece57e8ec.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QyNDg3YWZjLTE5OTItNDBkOC05N2M1LTBkNGNmMWEyZjkzM1wvZGRydjVwNC1iZWZjZTlkZi00Njc1LTRkNDQtYWQzMy00YzNlY2U1N2U4ZWMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.7ZmFvnmPfAGg7APnctPZYz15IzA_gnWIjEcOMi7fS9Q

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Davian, 06 March 2020 - 02:31 PM.

#31 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:30 AM

Great work, no strike that, outstanding work

#32 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

My job is suffering from a slowdown given the fears over the pandemic, so I put the extra downtime to good use.

I finally finished the legs today and I've begun working on the rest of the mech at last. It took an absurd amount of time to fix the hips. The "outside" of the original design made far more sense as the "inside" of the functional model, and reversing the hips to make that a reality took at least 4 hours.

Thankfully the rest of the mech needs WAY less work to be up to snuff as the original model Kenesthor made is awesome apart from the legs.

I keep learning more features of Blender as I go, the ALT+D self editing duplicate function is a godsend. Had I known that existed I could have saved myself 10 hours on the lower legs.

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Davian, 10 March 2020 - 08:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users