Mwo Style Falcon Flc-4N Concept Art

Art

6 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Davian

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

I've been working on a redesign of the Falcon FLC-4N battlemech in the style of the modern Mechwarrior Online designs. Here's the original sketch. I decreased the height of the abdomen while lengthening the arms and giving it a much more aggressively sloped armored shape. Overall I think it looks faster and more predatory now, which fits its role as the definitive light hunter of the Inner Sphere. I'm honestly not sure why no one has redesigned this one yet, it's a great mech in the tabletop game.

Spoiler

Here's the inked line art for the head of my Falcon battlemech redesign. I decided to make it more avian in appearance compared to the original sketch in order to differentiate it more from the Wolfhound's head. Fixing the proporetions for this was a pain, the th perspective still isn't 100% as I would like it. But it gets the message across.

Spoiler

Here's the inked line art for the torso of my Falcon battlemech redesign. I took one major liberty with the design by mounting the machine guns so that they are facing forwards and not backwards like the stock mech design has. I did this is because of two reasons. First weapons mounted facing the rear of an extremely mobile platform are just plain stupid. Second in battletech you can customize your mechs to a certain degree with different kinds of customizations having different degrees of difficulty. Changing the facing of mounted weapons like this is the simplest such customization. That all said the weapons pods that the machine guns are mounted to are designed modularly and can be mounted to face backwards as easily as forwards with the entire left and right pods simply being swapped out.

Spoiler

This is what it looks like with the inked head mounted to the inked torso.

Spoiler

Edited by Hans Davian, 09 October 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 3,809 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Looking great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Also, what are you using for last 3 pictures?

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19,199 posts
  • LocationBlood if the Isle

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

A pitty that nice Mech of yours is named after a cannibalistic parrot. (oh this hate runs deep)

But I never gave this Mech a second look, simple because it was so ugly and looked more like a rabid vennec than a bird.
This might change with your work.

Nice art for the Renigald Mark IVs

#4 Hans Davian

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 October 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

Looking great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Also, what are you using for last 3 pictures?

Thanks, and I'm using Clip Studio.

#5 Hans Davian

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

The right arm was an interesting technical challenge to pull off, Especially with the hand's design. The hardest part though wasn't designing any one portion, it was getting them to all interact with each other properly. The left arm shouldn't take as long to do now that I have figured out how to approach them. As I said before this was a real technical challenge to pull off, with the hardest aspect being ensure that everything interacts properly so that it looks like a single object instead of a collection of separate ones.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19,199 posts
  • LocationBlood if the Isle

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:01 AM

Do you want to rework the weapons?
Well the weapons... look ok... but when I consider that the main gun of the Falcon is a Sunglow Type 1.... this is the smaller brother of the one-shot badass Large Laser used by the Thunderbolt.

Your machine guns look like SAWs...at least when comparing with the size of the cockpit... shouldn't it be at least miniguns or HMGs - caliber .50 or more.
(at least a single machine gun shot in TT is 5kg~45 rounds BMG) - in MWO its 500g per round...so a single 35mm autocannon)

#7 Hans Davian

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:41 PM

Those are just heat baffles man, you're correct that they aren't strictly necessary given how the weapons are vehicle mounted instead of man carried but the idea I was going for was that these are detachable weapons pods. Given the scale of the cockpit these are at least 7.62 mm barrels, as are the majority of vehicle mounted anti-personnel weapons in real life. That all said I do think that I'll alter them to not have exposed barrels as they aren't practical with this sort of mounting. That will also diminish the "nipple 240s" look.

Regarding the medium laser I was using the visual style of most MWO lasers I've seen, and for ease of design I just scaled up the small laser. If you have reference art for the style of laser you're talking about I'm happy to take a look at it. I couldn't find any pictures of the thunderbolt's large laser that were of a good enough angle that I could have a good look at it.

Oh and the weight to ammunition ratio in MWO makes no sense at all. 1 short ton (1,000 lbs) of linked .50 cal ammunition is roughly 2,857 rounds, while 1 ton (1,000 kg) is 6,400 rounds. I'm pretty sure that MWO uses kg. 2,000 rounds of linked .50 cal ammunition weighs approximately 312.5 kg, not 1 metric ton. Having been a tanker at the start of my military career I can attest that there is no hopper for machine gun ammunition in existence that weighs 687.5 kg.

My point is that the values are absurd and make no sense whatsoever unless you're dealing with 25 mm ammunition or greater, but then you are working with AC/2s.

Edited by Hans Davian, 11 October 2018 - 02:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users