Art

31 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

I've been working on a redesign of the Falcon FLC-4N battlemech in the style of the modern Mechwarrior Online designs. Here's the original sketch. I decreased the height of the abdomen while lengthening the arms and giving it a much more aggressively sloped armored shape. Overall I think it looks faster and more predatory now, which fits its role as the definitive light hunter of the Inner Sphere. I'm honestly not sure why no one has redesigned this one yet, it's a great mech in the tabletop game.

Spoiler

Here's the inked line art for the head of my Falcon battlemech redesign. I decided to make it more avian in appearance compared to the original sketch in order to differentiate it more from the Wolfhound's head. Fixing the proporetions for this was a pain, the th perspective still isn't 100% as I would like it. But it gets the message across.

Spoiler

Here's the inked line art for the torso of my Falcon battlemech redesign. I took one major liberty with the design by mounting the machine guns so that they are facing forwards and not backwards like the stock mech design has. I did this is because of two reasons. First weapons mounted facing the rear of an extremely mobile platform are just plain stupid. Second in battletech you can customize your mechs to a certain degree with different kinds of customizations having different degrees of difficulty. Changing the facing of mounted weapons like this is the simplest such customization. That all said the weapons pods that the machine guns are mounted to are designed modularly and can be mounted to face backwards as easily as forwards with the entire left and right pods simply being swapped out.

Spoiler

This is what it looks like with the inked head mounted to the inked torso.

Spoiler

Edited by Hans Davian, 09 October 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Looking great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Also, what are you using for last 3 pictures?

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

A pitty that nice Mech of yours is named after a cannibalistic parrot. (oh this hate runs deep)

But I never gave this Mech a second look, simple because it was so ugly and looked more like a rabid vennec than a bird.
This might change with your work.

Nice art for the Renigald Mark IVs

#4 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 October 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

Looking great, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Also, what are you using for last 3 pictures?

Thanks, and I'm using Clip Studio.

#5 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

The right arm was an interesting technical challenge to pull off, Especially with the hand's design. The hardest part though wasn't designing any one portion, it was getting them to all interact with each other properly. The left arm shouldn't take as long to do now that I have figured out how to approach them. As I said before this was a real technical challenge to pull off, with the hardest aspect being ensure that everything interacts properly so that it looks like a single object instead of a collection of separate ones.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:01 AM

Do you want to rework the weapons?
Well the weapons... look ok... but when I consider that the main gun of the Falcon is a Sunglow Type 1.... this is the smaller brother of the one-shot badass Large Laser used by the Thunderbolt.

Your machine guns look like SAWs...at least when comparing with the size of the cockpit... shouldn't it be at least miniguns or HMGs - caliber .50 or more.
(at least a single machine gun shot in TT is 5kg~45 rounds BMG) - in MWO its 500g per round...so a single 35mm autocannon)

#7 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:41 PM

Those are just heat baffles man, you're correct that they aren't strictly necessary given how the weapons are vehicle mounted instead of man carried but the idea I was going for was that these are detachable weapons pods. Given the scale of the cockpit these are at least 7.62 mm barrels, as are the majority of vehicle mounted anti-personnel weapons in real life. That all said I do think that I'll alter them to not have exposed barrels as they aren't practical with this sort of mounting. That will also diminish the "nipple 240s" look.

Regarding the medium laser I was using the visual style of most MWO lasers I've seen, and for ease of design I just scaled up the small laser. If you have reference art for the style of laser you're talking about I'm happy to take a look at it. I couldn't find any pictures of the thunderbolt's large laser that were of a good enough angle that I could have a good look at it.

Oh and the weight to ammunition ratio in MWO makes no sense at all. 1 short ton (1,000 lbs) of linked .50 cal ammunition is roughly 2,857 rounds, while 1 ton (1,000 kg) is 6,400 rounds. I'm pretty sure that MWO uses kg. 2,000 rounds of linked .50 cal ammunition weighs approximately 312.5 kg, not 1 metric ton. Having been a tanker at the start of my military career I can attest that there is no hopper for machine gun ammunition in existence that weighs 687.5 kg.

My point is that the values are absurd and make no sense whatsoever unless you're dealing with 25 mm ammunition or greater, but then you are working with AC/2s.

Edited by Hans Davian, 11 October 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#8 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:01 AM

Wow, I love your take on this mech. Would you mind showing the back of this mech?
I'm a 3D artist (kinda) and would love to make a model out of your design Posted Image
Of course I'll share the full design here once it's finished so you can 3d print it if you want.

[Edit: Here's a small teaser Posted Image]

Posted Image

Edited by Alvar Von Kenesthor, 06 November 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#9 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 06 November 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

Wow, I love your take on this mech. Would you mind showing the back of this mech?
I'm a 3D artist (kinda) and would love to make a model out of your design Posted Image
Of course I'll share the full design here once it's finished so you can 3d print it if you want.

[Edit: Here's a small teaser Posted Image]

Posted Image

Dude holy **** yes!!! We need to collaborate on this!

#10 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Nice! I think your MGs are fine actually and they could be 50. cals just fine. In lore mech mounted MGs are 50. cals

#11 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:21 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 12 January 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Nice! I think your MGs are fine actually and they could be 50. cals just fine. In lore mech mounted MGs are 50. cals

Nope, as with everything there is no clear caliber (you have 20mm Miniguns as MGs, and so on.

Based on latest artwork the sperry browning if the Warhammer and locusts are .50's. But Whammy looks like a tri-barrel

#12 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

This is the first artwork of a Falcon that would make me actually like to see the mech in MWO. Great work so far; and I look forward to seeing the finished product!

#13 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

It took me more time than I had expected, but well, here it is Posted Image
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I still have to fix a couple details in the back and arms, so no download files yet, but I guess it'll take just a day or two at most.

Edited by Alvar Von Kenesthor, 26 January 2019 - 05:03 PM.

#14 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 26 January 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

It took me more time than I had expected, but well, here it is Posted Image

It looks nice, overall, but the arms seem excessively long/big. It looks like if you straighten out the arms they'd extend half way down the calves, almost to its ankles. Even from Hans Davian's concept sketches, the arms look like they should be more in line with the arms off of a Spider or Javelin, for comparison's sake. That would put them more in line with standard "humanoid" proportions.

#15 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostSereglach, on 26 January 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

It looks nice, overall, but the arms seem excessively long/big. It looks like if you straighten out the arms they'd extend half way down the calves, almost to its ankles. Even from Hans Davian's concept sketches, the arms look like they should be more in line with the arms off of a Spider or Javelin, for comparison's sake. That would put them more in line with standard "humanoid" proportions.

My current priority list is making the arms smaller, the head a little bigger and shortening the elbows, but other than that and a couple details I may have missed, the model is finished (and almost ready to 3d print).

#16 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

The model is now completely finished.
Posted Image
You can have a 3d look and download the files for 3d printing in this page:
https://www.thingive...m/thing:3385160

#17 HATER 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Personal opinion:
head could be a touch bigger, legs/arms thinner. Angular, "Hawkish"

overall opinion:
FANTASTIC job. You made it "realistic", in line with the MWO modeling.

#18 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

WOW!!! Holy **** dude this looks ******* amazing!!!

Oddly I had just entered the original artwork into a contest to design a battlemech, the winner of which will actually get produced. There's actually a concern now that as you already posted it to thingiverse there will be an IP clash if it wins and if anyone tries to produce it.

Could you pull it down from Thingiverse for a bit so we can chat about it?

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 27 January 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

The model is now completely finished.
Posted Image
You can have a 3d look and download the files for 3d printing in this page:
https://www.thingive...m/thing:3385160

#19 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

While Kenesthor filled in a lot of the gaps with the rear of the mech, which I never drew (lazy I know...) It was pretty devoid of detail, and so I added some to help refine it. I can't wait to see it when it's finished (I should finish the sketches too...)
Posted Image

More on refining the concept of the mech's legs. This is the sketch I made to explain my idea, that the legs unfold into a digitigrade orientation when the mech is running, and then fold into a humanoid one when it is stationary. Digitigrade is faster and human is more stable.
Posted Image

Edited by Hans Davian, 31 January 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#20 Hans Davian

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:02 PM

I had a eureka moment working on this long delayed project. There is a battlemech I have slowly been refining a design for that I got stalled on figuring out how to design its legs. I wanted them to be able to mimick both digitigrade and plantigrade movement depending on the unit's speed, but I couldn't figure out how to make that a reality. The advantage of plantigrade legs are that they provide far greater stability vs digitigrade legs for a biped, but the downside is that they cannot provide anything close to the same level of acceleration or speed that digitigrade can.

I finally figured out a solution a few minutes ago. The idea I had required an additional joint. The rear facing extra joint collapses when the mech is moving at low speeds allowing its legs to provide plantigrade locomotion and when it accelerates to run, jump, or land they extend into a digitigrade form.

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Davian, 17 February 2020 - 03:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users