68 replies to this topic

#21 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:55 AM

View PostCarloArmato, on 11 October 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I like free stuff, but such event is called "weekend brawler" and still:
  • there is no "get X brawl bonuses"
  • there is no "get X damage/kills/KMDD with Y weapons" (with Y any brawl weapon of choice)
Why? You did make challenges for LRMs and ATMs (e.g.: missile and tag challenge combined), "why not brawlers?" is my question.

I would like to see more people for a real brawl fest to support each other instead of a "play as you always played with any build you like".

IMHO you missed an opportunity to tempt people back to brawlers, as well as to show some love to brawlers.

^this
we need a condition
"shoot somebody in the face with an ac20+4srm6"
with a prize that's
"have fun and a mad grin for the next 5minutes"
;)

srsly though - some brawl-conditions after all the hard tag-work with the last event would be ace ;-)

aside from that: I like that this event is something to earn while actually playing. instead of farming/hunting for specific stuff, we can enjoy whatever mode we like, and how we like it. thx for that :)

#22 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:59 AM

Missed last event and won't be home until Monday night. I hope it will be enough to get me over 1500 MC. Then it is just a wait until we get colors discount.

#23 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:14 AM

Nice to have a really chill event that I can do just by playing the game normally after the last one. I do think it would be nice to have a brawling-focused event in more than name only sometime, though. Posted Image thx pgi

#24 Bwah Ha Ha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:16 AM

The problem with brawlers is they normally have two outcomes. One: asking why no one helped them when they run in to go toe to toe and find out there is more than one enemy. Two: being blind to the streams of ac or laser fire being poured into an enemy and run into it then complaining of friendly fire. We first need to define what acceptable brawling means.

#25 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:05 AM

View PostBwah Ha Ha, on 12 October 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

The problem with brawlers is they normally have two outcomes. One: asking why no one helped them when they run in to go toe to toe and find out there is more than one enemy. Two: being blind to the streams of ac or laser fire being poured into an enemy and run into it then complaining of friendly fire. We first need to define what acceptable brawling means.

Brawling is a perfectly viable strat.... if you have an appropriate map for it (not polar or alpine) and your entire team buys in and does it. So, yea, not great for solo queue quick play.

#26 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 11 October 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

*sigh* Posted Image

Well, this just figures. No Pre-Announcement again, which really sucks. Worse, the size of the Rewards looks like someone's lashing back at a ton of people complaining during the Fall Harvest Event. Those 'Level 2' Items seem like they're lacking on the (MC) just one tiny notch, like they could be bumped to 100 each instead of just 50 in value. Posted Image

However even with that said, I've only got one request, and that's to 'Add 4 Hours to the Event Timer' for the Weekend Brawler Event. The only reason I'm asking for it is to make up for the time that will be taken from MWO's Whole Community on the Patch Day coming this next week. No reason to wander off with 3 Hours of someone's time and not make up for it! Posted Image

~D. V. "That's just my mind's $0.02 regarding the Event design." Devnull

Sorry about no preannouncement Posted Image

As for the time extension, the thing is, I was going to end it before the Patch as these challenges will get completed quite fast.
We know, on average, how long it will take a player to complete.
So I added whole days after the patch to make sure people had time.
But instead, it looks like I didn't take the patch into consideration?
It almost seems like it is to my advantage to make it shorter and wait for the complaints so I can extend it and look like I am listening? Posted Image

Here's a little pre-announcement for yah.

After the Patch we will be having: The Champion Mech Challenges, the traditional Trick or Treat Loot bag event, Halloween Dailies, Pick a Prize, Mech Costume Contest, Mech Customization Sale, MC sale, MRBC Select Mech Sale, Heavy Mech Pick a Pack and probably more deals on preorder packs. Posted Image

Patch notes will be up today and the Countdown to Champion Release is being updated after this.Posted Image

#27 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 12 October 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

After the Patch we will be having: The Champion Mech Challenges, the traditional Trick or Treat Loot bag event, Halloween Dailies, Pick a Prize, Mech Costume Contest, Mech Customization Sale, MC sale, MRBC Select Mech Sale, Heavy Mech Pick a Pack and probably more deals on preorder packs.

uh wow, that sounds awesome Posted Image thx for it

#28 CarloArmato

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPavia - Italy

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

Ez Pz

About the first "outcome", if the event is brawl-centric and actually promotes brawls, it is very likely you will be backed up by other brawlers and more likely death-balling the enemy team. I'm very confident that if the "trial" mech event almost completely changed mechs people were dropping with, then it would also happen with a more broad, generic and effective build which brawlers are.

About the 2nd outcome, even simpler: don't freaking hug a target and move while keeping a decent range from target.

I'm not sure what builds you guys use, but I di enjoy a good brawl from time to time, but right now is very unlikely to happen if most of your team simply don't or can't brawl properly due to LRM / ATM / poke / ranged DPS builds.

Edited by CarloArmato, 12 October 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#29 Mechdocdie

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:00 AM

Dear Matt,

Just a little love here from someone appreciative of the effort you guys put in.

Sure it's your job, and sure the community is your client set, but at the end of the day it is a free to play game that I think, overall, does a great job at balancing the needs of the casuals, the potaotes, the dies hards, the addicts, the young and old, the skilled and unskilled, the cheap and the paying, the friendly and the angry. You manage to respect decades of Battletech lore while keeping the game fresh and you even manage to spit out weekend challenges, populated with prizes worth real money (MC and Premium time), which can reward the most skillful (headshots and a 500 match score) and encourage the least (100 ballistic damage and accumulating 500 match score).

So thanks for last week's challenges, which I found a ******* to complete and had me playing mechs I hadn't touched in months (to get that bloody head shot), and thanks for this week's which are just being achieved without trying.

Salut, team!

07 07 07 07 07 07 07 07

PS: Can sucking up hard enough get you a free mech?

Posted Image

#30 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sorry about no preannouncement Posted Image

As for the time extension, the thing is, I was going to end it before the Patch as these challenges will get completed quite fast.
We know, on average, how long it will take a player to complete.
So I added whole days after the patch to make sure people had time.
But instead, it looks like I didn't take the patch into consideration?
It almost seems like it is to my advantage to make it shorter and wait for the complaints so I can extend it and look like I am listening? Posted Image

Hi there, and Thank You for the return response. I've already stuck a 'Like' on your post for that alone. :D

That said, you've got my apologies as well. I've both heard and read posts from people too many times that they lost their entire playtime on a given day due to a Monthly Patch or HotFix. Unfortunately, I did jump the metaphorical gun and let it heavily skew my thoughts this time around in trying to watch out for them. Sorry about that, as I'm now seeing where you put the Extra Time for most Time Zones. :(

This might be a silly question, but is there any way we could see some Interesting Average Stats once in a while after different Events, to give the Whole Community an insight on how things went? Everyone has their opinions, but seeing some real numbers would definitely silence those that think people in your office are just buried in spreadsheets. :)

Also...

After the Patch we will be having: The Champion Mech Challenges, the traditional Trick or Treat Loot bag event, Halloween Dailies, Pick a Prize, Mech Costume Contest, Mech Customization Sale, MC sale, MRBC Select Mech Sale, Heavy Mech Pick a Pack and probably more deals on preorder packs. Posted Image

Patch notes will be up today and the Countdown to Champion Release is being updated after this.Posted Image

Glad to see some Advance Event & News Notes, and Thank You for piping them up even if they should somehow change between now and then. Now here's the trick (which turns into a treat for you)... Make sure the nuts in the office (I should note that's meant in a kind way!) let you post the Event News Articles at least 3 Days before Events actually start. That way, those complainers who would be upset because they couldn't plan their future around the Events are left with no reason to complain at all. If they couldn't get to the forums or check the News Feed daily, this should ensure they still see it. ^_^

Pardon me here... I suppose I should get back to the battlefields. Maybe I'll see you out there, perhaps even on the same Team, so we can knock somebody out of their Mech together? And, Seriously, Thank You Again for keeping up with the Forums and being willing to Communicate with the rest of us, and Sorry for giving you a headache with a metaphorical gun-jumping before the Event really got rolling. :mellow:

~D. V. "Sorry for the misread! I'm probably going to be ducking Other Pilots' Ballistics now!" Devnull

#31 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

With my previous post up, here comes the major catch-up of the day... :o

View PostSleepyKraken, on 11 October 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

Nice more c-bills! Hoping for a large mech sale on halloween.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I'm currently having to restock my (C-Bills) so I can get to designing the Loadouts which I meant to put in the Mechs that I got while On-Sale. :unsure:

View PostAlan Hicks, on 11 October 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

I like this event. It's good that the Premium Time can be activated only when you want to use it.

Agreed. Although, there is a time limit on that of "Event Time + Up To 2 Weeks After" attached. So make sure that you time it all properly, or you'll end up just launching what remains right at the far end. I believe the final activation point is "October 31, 2018 @ 4:59 PM PDT", unless I've missed my number-crunching. :huh:

View PostBwah Ha Ha, on 11 October 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Uhm, I've completed all but two in the first three an half hours.

Heh... You're getting faster mileage than I am. I guess I might be a little too careful in what Mech choices that I'm picking at the moment, but I've been enjoying a good Support-Styled Kit Fox so far. I may have to change that now. Hmmm... Maybe we'll end up on the Same Team at some point? ^_^

View PostRobertson Taylor, on 12 October 2018 - 02:15 AM, said:

Man, its an event in a free to play game that despite being named “weekend something or other” goes for longer than a weekend, enjoy the surprise. Its an event in a free to play game, how can the prizes not being good enough? Its an event in a free to play game, is that 3 hours of patch time really going to hurt? What do they have to make up for there? These reviews come off a little more than entitled lately... to my ears anyway.

I didn't know whether to respond to your post or not, but there's one thing I need to make clear... I DO NOT, AND NEVER WILL, FEEL ANY FORM OF SELF-ENTITLEMENT TO ANYTHING DURING ANY EVENT RUNS. That said, many of my posts that I actually put up as Event Reviews are written/typed/posted/etc. with intent of foresight for watching out in regard to those who might have serious trouble during an Event, and feel too intimidated to post for any reason. Yes, I do sometimes punch a little too hard, and I will admit that. I just walk around all the time, both Online and in Real Life, with a "Why can't this world be more happy and peaceful? Why can't we put an end to there being anyone feeling like they're in Hell-On-Earth?" mentality as I look at everything around me. So, like I have posted to Matt Newman above, you as well have my serious and sincerest apologies, along with my mental insights. Please, feel free to consider me a nut about being proactive towards keeping MWO alive and growing! :mellow:

Now then... All this stuff about brawling...

View PostCarloArmato, on 11 October 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I like free stuff, but such event is called "weekend brawler" and still:
  • there is no "get X brawl bonuses"
  • there is no "get X damage/kills/KMDD with Y weapons" (with Y any brawl weapon of choice)
Why? You did make challenges for LRMs and ATMs (e.g.: missile and tag challenge combined), "why not brawlers?" is my question.

I would like to see more people for a real brawl fest to support each other instead of a "play as you always played with any build you like".

IMHO you missed an opportunity to tempt people back to brawlers, as well as to show some love to brawlers.

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 12 October 2018 - 02:55 AM, said:

^this
we need a condition
"shoot somebody in the face with an ac20+4srm6"
with a prize that's
"have fun and a mad grin for the next 5minutes"
Posted Image

srsly though - some brawl-conditions after all the hard tag-work with the last event would be ace ;-)

aside from that: I like that this event is something to earn while actually playing. instead of farming/hunting for specific stuff, we can enjoy whatever mode we like, and how we like it. thx for that Posted Image

View PostMister Maf, on 12 October 2018 - 03:14 AM, said:

Nice to have a really chill event that I can do just by playing the game normally after the last one. I do think it would be nice to have a brawling-focused event in more than name only sometime, though. Posted Image thx pgi

View PostEisenhorne, on 12 October 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

Brawling is a perfectly viable strat.... if you have an appropriate map for it (not polar or alpine) and your entire team buys in and does it. So, yea, not great for solo queue quick play.

View PostCarloArmato, on 12 October 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Ez Pz

About the first "outcome", if the event is brawl-centric and actually promotes brawls, it is very likely you will be backed up by other brawlers and more likely death-balling the enemy team. I'm very confident that if the "trial" mech event almost completely changed mechs people were dropping with, then it would also happen with a more broad, generic and effective build which brawlers are.

About the 2nd outcome, even simpler: don't freaking hug a target and move while keeping a decent range from target.

I'm not sure what builds you guys use, but I di enjoy a good brawl from time to time, but right now is very unlikely to happen if most of your team simply don't or can't brawl properly due to LRM / ATM / poke / ranged DPS builds.

Guys, CALM DOWN!!! I can already tell you one thing about getting brawling awards, and that's...
  • You must be within 400 meters of your target(s), and engaged with them at the time that they go down.
...but whether you have to be the one dealing the Kill is something I haven't figured out yet. Also, amongst things to achieve "Acceptable Brawling", there is definitely a need to...
  • NEVER 'FaceHug' your target(s) at sub-150-meters when you're battling them. Otherwise you block your teammates from helping you to break your opponents down into scrap metal.
  • ALWAYS Lock Your Target(s) when you're fighting them and/or charging in. Relay info to your Teammates so they can help you soften the Target(s) into melted butter. It's ALWAYS worth having Fire Support to enable your life being easier when moving in to take down an opponent.
...because failure to follow these tips might as well be like suiciding into your opponents and betraying your team. I'm sure you don't intend to do that, as hard as it is to get the "Brawling" Bonus Payment, right? ;)

And now, like I was saying about 45 minutes ago... BACK TO THE BATTLEFIELDS!!! B)

~Mr. D. V. "Forever overloading myself on Forums... I think it could be a Running Joke at my expense!" Devnull

#32 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

Plenty of extra C-Bills, just in time as the Blood Asp is right around the corner for it's C-Bill release date. Time, and MC extra. Not much of a struggle to unlock these events, just plain fun. Thank you, from the bottom of my black heart.

#33 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

Didn't anyone notice the Sweet "Warthog" Decal I put on the Hellspawn? It's an instant Classic.

#34 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

This event was a nice afternoon of playing the game, even with the usual terribads coming out to play.

#35 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 12 October 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Plenty of extra C-Bills, just in time as the Blood Asp is right around the corner for it's C-Bill release date. Time, and MC extra. Not much of a struggle to unlock these events, just plain fun. Thank you, from the bottom of my black heart.

Eh... Does it have to be Black? Couldn't it be a different color? Maybe it could be Green or Red, perhaps? :P

View PostMatt Newman, on 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Didn't anyone notice the Sweet "Warthog" Decal I put on the Hellspawn? It's an instant Classic.

I noticed the Decals. Further, the artwork is very much appreciated even though it seemed like it got buried by part of the Mech Geometry. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember which Decal that one was. Sorry about that. :(

Also, checking the Current Decal List, those teeth don't seem to show up on it. Maybe I missed something, but what name should I be looking for? Or are they 'yet to be released' into the Live Game? :blink:

~D. V. "finding myself a little puzzled about more than one thing" Devnull

#36 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

All done. Thanks!

#37 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 12 October 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Oh, so that's what the Hellspawn looks like? I've never seen one in game before!

#38 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 737 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

Simple but elegant event, I really like it!

#39 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 12 October 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

I noticed the Decals. Further, the artwork is very much appreciated even though it seemed like it got buried by part of the Mech Geometry. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember which Decal that one was. Sorry about that. Posted Image

Also, checking the Current Decal List, those teeth don't seem to show up on it. Maybe I missed something, but what name should I be looking for? Or are they 'yet to be released' into the Live Game? Posted Image

~D. V. "finding myself a little puzzled about more than one thing" Devnull

The Warthog decals will be released with the Champion 'mech. They belong to the preorder bonus pool.

#40 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

Completeted, was very nice with excellent rewards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users