#61 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 October 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

Welp, give me a second to tell you about the Stalker... and I promise you'll see the point I'm going to make about the Fafnir.
Posted Image

the Stalker is incredibly tanky with or without quirks.
For years since its inception into the game in 2012, the Stalker with a standard engine can take more abuse than literally any 100 ton mech, in terms of overall damage dealt. This is because 60% of all damage to a destroyed side torso is thrown into the void to never affect the mech, while only the remaining 40% transfers.

Hit by 40 damage to the side torso after its blown off? Only 16 damaged received to the CT.

As such, the Fafnir is perhaps the tankiest 100 ton mech in the game...provided you're using a STANDARD engine. LFE...well that's just your problem. XL? Again your problem.

The real question is this: Is there a variant with CT hardpoints? If so, that's the one to go with. If not, welp...

Maybe you can pull this off in a 1 versus 5. Versus (fresh) LRM Catapult, (fresh) Banshee, (fresh, but helped with) Firestarter, Atlas (battered) and a Jagermech (Caught off guard). March 2014.
Posted Image
The Jager I caught on his own, and later the rest so technically it was only 4 on 1, and you could say the momentary distraction the Firestarter got from someone showing up (and dying) is what allowed me to get rid of the Banshee and the LRM Catapult peppering me from the distance, before leaving me to deal with the Firestarter with only an Autocannon 5 to my name.

Posted Image
On the day of the achievement's patch.

Anyway, my point is... huge side torsos on long mechs can prove to be an additional layer of armor.
Its also a problem... but there in rests the question, better survivability comes at the cost of easily losing huge stashes of weapons...is it worth it?

Posted Image

That's a question only the user can decide.

Its a shame the arms aren't bigger at the shoulders. Then that 40 damage alpha could be reduced to 6.4 damage if it hits just right through the use of torso twisting.

Then again, the Stalker's arms are stubs too, and it was able to do this
this..
These (also skip to 8:20 for the second epic brawl)
And this one completely solo
And this in a group queue

Because flamer stalker.

Your argument is mute because the Fafnir's CT is so huge, whereas the Stalker's is really thin at the nose. So more damage transfer occurs on the Stalker reducing damage to the CT compared to a Fafnir which is cored every fight.

Annihilator is still better than a Fafnir because of the smaller hit boxes, the loadouts are similar, the speed is pretty much the same as well. Heck, even the Dire Wolf has better hitboxes than a Fafnir.

#62 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

Vx from EmP already posted his Fafnir stats from QP.

That's actually irrelevant. It's his data.

What Kapusta was engaging is about the validity of your data, that supposedly supports your statements.

If it's his best assault too but also encompasses QP, then good for him. I'd rather hear from Vx though if that's the case, because it's his data. That is not to say that you aren't free to interpret other's data, but he could provide better insight about it, because he did the work.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 October 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

If the Fafnir didn't have ECM, this would be a different discussion.

I actually took the variant without ECM. **** me lol.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 22 October 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#63 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 October 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

Since Dante245 wanted to see more Anni/Fafnir stats, I'll throw mine in here (all played in QP, I don't play Faction)
Anni 1X is 2xHeavy Gauss + lasers build, Anni 2A is 2xUAC10 2xUAC5 build, or 5xUAC5 build (I own two Anni 2A's). Fafnir 5 is a 2xUAC10 2xUAC5 build, Fafnir 5(S) is LBX 40 build, Fafnir 5B is 2xHeavy Gauss + lasers build.
Posted Image

Average Damage per match: Anni 1X (700), Anni 2A (625), Fafnir 5 (786), Fafnir 5B (570), Fafnir 5(S) (824)

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6175815

#64 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Still rather irrelevant. Again, kapusta was talking about the validity of your data.

#65 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Well, we can revisit this when next adjustment to the Fafnir is downwards. Then you can argue your point again.

#66 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Well, we can revisit this when next adjustment to the Fafnir is downwards. Then you can argue your point again.

Okay, based on your understanding, what is my point?

#67 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 22 October 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Okay, based on your understanding, what is my point?

You think the Fafnir has bad hitboxes, and needs more armor quirks or larger ST hitboxes.

Edited by Nightbird, 22 October 2018 - 06:59 PM.

#68 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 October 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

Fafnir's Hitbox is Atrocious

... Played the King Crab of Kodiak recently?

To be fair, many of my Assaults don't preform as well on Tier 1 as they did on Tier 2. My Banshee and Battlemaster are just bigger targets for those with Tier 1 aim and the timing to hit me dead center just before or just after I torso twist.

The Fafnir is a beefy boy and it doesn't help that it's a priority target like the Anni and Dire but at least you got scary fire power. 2X Heavy Gauss require face time I personally do not like but I know from experience they hurt.

#69 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

You think the Fafnir has bad hitboxes, and needs more armor quirks or larger ST hitboxes.

Not more quirks, adjustment of quirks. That 22 on the CT? Put divide it among the ST while making the ST larger. Also, that is just my feedback, and proposal to fix it.

What we were actually talking about is:

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 22 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Random is kinda the point of "average".

If your data is only gathered only at a really narrow band of situations, such as in FP with great team and typically dumb enemies which is basically seal-clubbing using a specific built for that map, then the data is only really representative of FP+Great-Team+Noob-Enemies+Select-Build.

Which is again, challenging the validity of your data, due to faulty methodology.

And again, data from Vx is another matter. The previous matter actually.

So basically this is just us responding with different points within the thread. Lol.

View PostSteel Raven, on 22 October 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

... Played the King Crab of Kodiak recently?

Considering that King crab has better mobility with slimmer profile, while Kodiak actually has both clan-tech, 400 max engine, it gets a pass.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 22 October 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#70 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

Bottom line you think the Fafnir is bad and underperforming, while I think it is great and overperforming.

#71 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

Bottom line you think the Fafnir is bad and underperforming, while I think it is great and overperforming.

Oh, so you're talking for me now? If that's the case, you should change your name to take my name.

No, I didn't said that Fafnir is bad and underperforming -- there are plenty of factors, I just said that it's hitbox is bad based on my experience, and it would be better if they approached it a certain way -- one that I suggested. That's just one aspect of the mech that I am disappointed with and relieved that I didn't bought it with real money.

Being an opinion-piece, of course it's tied with how I play. Is it the right way to play it -- as in do i brawl with it because I'm usually a brawler -- no, I suppose not.

Again, this is just a feedback.

#72 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 22 October 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Oh, so you're talking for me now? If that's the case, you should change your name to take my name.

No, I didn't said that Fafnir is bad and underperforming -- there are plenty of factors, I just said that it's hitbox is bad based on my experience, and it would be better if they approached it a certain way -- one that I suggested. That's just one aspect of the mech that I am disappointed with and relieved that I didn't bought it with real money.

Being an opinion-piece, of course it's tied with how I play. Is it the right way to play it -- as in do i brawl with it because I'm usually a brawler -- no, I suppose not.

Again, this is just a feedback.

Ok then, you think the Fafnir is disappointing and the hitboxes should be changed, and I think the Fafnir is great and the hitboxes should NOT be changed. Fair enough?

#73 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Ok then, you think the Fafnir is disappointing and the hitboxes should be changed, and I think the Fafnir is great and the hitboxes should NOT be changed. Fair enough?

Sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users