The Curious Case Of Shs Vs Dhs 3 Ppc Awesome

7 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

With ERPPC, it's fairly straight forward. DHS is just better because of the way slots and weight worked out.

But with Heavy PPC, it's quite interesting.

test map: frozen city, standing still

Boating SHS with 3 HPPC and all weight saving measures (LFE, Endo, no arms) will yield 3 alpha consecutively with no shutdown, with the 4th being about 20% over (internal damage)
Alpha is about 47% to heat scale. Each alpha takes about 10 mississippis to reset to 0.

Standard 17 DHS setup with 3 HPPC (LFE, Std, arm) will yield 2 alphas consecutive with no shutdown, with the 3rd being just a hair over (<5%, no internal damage)
Alpha is about 54% to heat scale. Each alpha takes about 9 mississippis to reset to 0

Now, movement will add heat and a heat neutral and/or hot map will add additional heat as well.

So realistically, your best bet for maximum alpha is with SHS that can give you 3 comfortably with no shutdown. However, your wait time between reset is going to be longer.

Those 1 mississippi can add up (say you fire 20 times in a match... a number that all pilot should at least aim for before being mangled by the enemy, that's 20 seconds of saving, or about 2 additional alphas)

So in the same span of time to fire 20 times in a normal progression of a match, you might get 90 more damage out of DHS. But in short burst, it's 45 more damage with SHS.

I have to give to PGI, this is quite clever of a dilemma that they created. One is not obviously better than the other, and it's very situational. Now, I know water isn't very plentiful across all maps, but SHS does allow 4 heatsinks in the legs, which meant you can technically match DHS in cooling efficiency if you like barnacles on your mech.

So, which would you choose? SHS or DHS?

Edited by razenWing, 22 October 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:30 PM

17DHS with 3HPPC and all the heat related skill tree nodes is 3 alphas + 3 30 damage shots without overheat damage on a heat neutral map.

#3 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 October 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

17DHS with 3HPPC and all the heat related skill tree nodes is 3 alphas + 3 30 damage shots without overheat damage on a heat neutral map.

Huh? I don't get the +3 30 bit. But I just tested it on frozen city, all heat cap node (no heat gen though), it's 2 alpha with 3rd on shutdown (although very briefly because only about 5% over)

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

Alpha is 45 dmg, shooting 2 is 30.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:50 PM

I haven't found a reasonable situation yet where SHS is better than DHS since the patch...

Except... On 100T mechs in utterly niche circumstance.

I tried the BLR 5 x ERL with DHS vs SHS and the DHS mech in current patch cools faster where previously the SHS was faster. I used the SHS one a bit and it was definately not dissipating faster than DHS.

If it were me I'd be taking some arm armour, just longevity and also protecting the heatsinks which are in the arms (on your SHS setup, no arm armour but SHS in arms?)

#6 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 October 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

I haven't found a reasonable situation yet where SHS is better than DHS since the patch...

Except... On 100T mechs in utterly niche circumstance.

I tried the BLR 5 x ERL with DHS vs SHS and the DHS mech in current patch cools faster where previously the SHS was faster. I used the SHS one a bit and it was definately not dissipating faster than DHS.

If it were me I'd be taking some arm armour, just longevity and also protecting the heatsinks which are in the arms (on your SHS setup, no arm armour but SHS in arms?)

Nah, no heatsink in arms. With SHS setup, you don't have enough weight to spill over onto the arms anyways

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 22 October 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

Standard 17 DHS setup with 3 HPPC (LFE, Std, arm)

Dude you can fit 19 DHS with 3xHPPCs if you shave your legs and a bit of an arm, and replace Endo with Light FF.

Edited by El Bandito, 22 October 2018 - 11:09 PM.

#8 dr3dnought

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

You can also do 18 DHS with a standard engine (no side-torso penalty)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users