270 replies to this topic

#81 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

Money incentives will NEVER work. Over the last two months we have had non-stop events with constant elevated payouts. I am richer than I have ever been. PGI is directly undermining your proposed technique.

Since last month I bought five Fafnirs, a spare Awesome, a spare Javelin, another MAD-3R, another Orion IIC and two new Blood Asps. After all that I still have 80 million! The grind at this stage in the game's life is so forgiving that scarcity can no longer be used as a behavior modifier.

I have every chassis in the game with multiple duplicates. I only need enough money for one new mech type a month. I could earn nothing and still get all the Fleas easily in December.

All the hardcore players are like that. The people who are in need of handicapping are least sensitive to the tools of said handicapping.

Edited by Spheroid, 07 November 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#82 Ninjah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 307 posts
  • LocationComstar Lounge

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

One thing that would get me to play FP again is UNLIMITED TONNAGE!! 4 Locusts? Ok. 4 Annies? Ok.

Time to say f it and release the lions!

#83 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

Pretty sure tryhards won't give much damn about C-Bill penalties. They would want their sweet stats.

Not even LP penalty would mean much now since events give far more MC.

I spoke within EVIL and BCMC and we're willing to drop light. People are pretty excited about the idea.

I do know of a merc company that talks about stomping pugs and avoid skilled groups on their stream. I think their members would not be happy with this idea.

#84 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

I spoke within EVIL and BCMC and we're willing to drop light. People are pretty excited about the idea.

I do know of a merc company that talks about stomping pugs and avoid skilled groups on their stream. I think their members would not be happy with this idea.

If you were indeed excited about dropping lighter then you would have already done so, since the mechanism is already there. Empty talks. However, it is at least good to see that the two buttbuddy units are beginning to fathom in their ultra tryhard minds of the amount of harm they did to FP queue, and are willing to do something about it. ;)

However small that will is.

#85 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

160 ton drop deck, the minimum

Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 November 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

All the hardcore players are like that. The people who are in need of handicapping are least sensitive to the tools of said handicapping.

View PostS O L A I S, on 07 November 2018 - 01:59 AM, said:

As a player who is on one of the top tier Units in CW I can appreciate what you are saying. Most of the players I play with who dominate CW have hundreds and hundreds of millions of cbills into the billions even is not uncommon. For example I have 1.7 billion. Cbills would never really be a way to incentivize players.

Loyalty points and such may work for some who would wish to expedite farming free mechbays and mc from faction reputation. I think however seeing how many folks I play with who will play/endure some Solaris with the primary goal to get the valuable GXP that makes skilling out new mechs less painful for some (not me personally the skill tree drop made a huge chasm between vets and new players which I won't devolve into).

Incentives basically should not be cbill based in my opinion either, especially not for veterans. However if a skilled player had the option to run a lighter deck and for doing so it paid off by some of those incentives that reduce grind, that carrot would be something worth grabbing for.

Oh and last thing, never underestimate the drive that the better players/groups have simply to just win games. For many that W is the most important thing and far, far more important than any rewards or cbills. I say this as someone with over a thousand games played on the leaderboard and WLR over 10. Just being one of the most difficult opponents around is an incredible reward pride wise and probably ego more than it should. So, from what Nightbird said about PGI's no dynamic tonnage, this incentive idea has to have to real weight for people to risk putting their pride on the line as well.

And if we are going down this route would it not be possible to not penalize the new players in any way if they land in a premade? Just how hero and champion mechs change certain bonuses in the rewards screen I would hope this sort of system could incentivize/penalize the guys in the group while the pugs get full pay for the 500 damage that they do at a minimum. If not I would expect some to simply disco, suck the penalty and try in get into a match they can participate more in and get paid.

These are pretty good points.
Not to discount the idea as it currently is but the intended effect may not have the desired impact without considering alternate sort of incentive.

The question needs to extend to:
What would be meaningful to the players who are in that high end spectrum of having all the cbills, XP and maxed loyalty/reputation ranks?
This is where it gets really difficult to bring in new features that impact players in a game that has a well established veteran population.
If it's down to winning and being recognised on the battlefield as a primary target, then ..... what?

But perhaps that is an angle to look at and an alternative to consider.

The idea is to provide players with an incentive to reduce their tonnage voluntarily to maintain earnings.

On the other side are the players that who do not have the handicap incentive and also have no incentive of their own to drive them.
It's popped up before about having a Bounty system but not sure if it has been discussed that much so this might be an opportune time.
Would it benefit the system to have the veteran players marked with a Bounty Modifier to provide opponents that kill them some sort of reward?

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 November 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

I remember during a townhall Russ liked the idea of giving players the option to bid away some of their tonnage for greater c-bill rewards. But nothing came of that. I assume the programming proved to difficult to implement the feature. It might not have helped with every match. But some bored 12 mans might have been up for the challenge and a few seals would have gotten it a tad easier.

Surely some sort of Drop Deck Max Tonnage - Actual Tonnage * X C-bill bonus victory reward is not that hard to add in.....

#87 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:49 PM

View Post50 50, on 07 November 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

Surely some sort of Drop Deck Max Tonnage - Actual Tonnage * X C-bill bonus victory reward is not that hard to add in.....

Flat bonuses won't work, since it would be foolish to under-ton against a team of equal or greater skill and there's no system to tell you if you're up against such a team.

#88 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

160 ton drop deck, the minimum

Grats for you. No proof the others did the same, but keep it up.

You know what would be even better handicap while helping FP queue? Split up and carry pugs. But you aint gonna do that.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 November 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#89 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

You know what would be even better handicap while helping FP queue? Split up and carry pugs. But you aint gonna do that.

You know what would be even better handicap while helping FP queue? Stop rushing objectives. But your unit ain't gonna do that.

#90 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 07 November 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

You know what would be even better handicap while helping FP queue? Stop rushing objectives. But your unit ain't gonna do that.

MS is not known for rushing objectives, unless we are facing your buttbuddy group--in which case we do it gladly.

Just ask all the other units we face daily.

#91 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

MS is not known for rushing objectives, unless we are facing your buttbuddy group--in which case we do it gladly.

really? Cause when I drop in 4 man I get gen rushed by large MS groups, maybe when they see 1 or 2 bcmc or evil tags they go all "we facing scary premade, all sights on buildings locked"

#92 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:56 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

What's the point of playing a multiplayer game if you're not gonna play with friends?

#93 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:05 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

What's the point of playing a multiplayer game if you're not gonna play with friends?

As a tryhard who likes to socialize myself, I know why you do what you do. I also completely understand why you do what you do. Heck, I sympathize with why you do what you do.

All that said, looking at the state of FP right now, I will still give your group a middle finger whenever I see it.

#94 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

All that said, looking at the state of FP right now, I will still give your group a middle finger whenever I see it.

So... you're saying you don't want a handicap after all?

That's what you keep asking for, by saying repeating break up break up, give us a chance...

#95 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

So... you're saying you don't want a handicap after all?

That's what you keep asking for, by saying repeating break up break up, give us a chance...

I'm saying your buttbuddy group does nothing positive to increase FP population, so despite your reasons, I dislike your bunch.

At least other tryhard units run recruitment drives and bother to train and teach solo players the intricacies of organized play. MS accepts players from all skill levels and run a dedicated training unit/program, while some of our officers solo-drop in FP to scout out potential solo recruits.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 November 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#96 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'm saying your buttbuddy group does nothing positive to increase FP population, so despite your reasons, I dislike your bunch.

At least other tryhard units run recruitment drives and bother to train and teach solo players the intricacies of organized play.

We invite mid tier unit members to play with us every day?

When I'm lead, I keep the group in LFG open to all until it fills up.

Honestly, we can argue if teaching new members to not shoot mechs and only shoot gens actually does anything to increase FP pop.

#97 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

We invite mid tier unit members to play with us every day?

When I'm lead, I keep the group in LFG open to all until it fills up.

I don't find that to be most of the case but hey, do what you gotta do. As I said, I completely understand your reasoning.

Just find it very ironic that you of all people making this thread.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 November 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#98 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Just find it very ironic that you of all people making this thread.

Not as much as you objecting to it lol

#99 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:05 PM

View PostNightbird, on 07 November 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Not as much as you objecting to it lol

That's cause anyone with a brain cell can realize that C-Bill incentive is not gonna make tryhards drop their tonnage. Hell, even your buttbuddy from BCMC said the same thing on the ineffectiveness of such measure.

If anything, your idea will only punish our C-Bill strapped trainees who drop with us, making it even worse for FP population.

#100 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

That's cause anyone with a brain cell can realize that C-Bill incentive is not gonna make tryhards drop their tonnage. Hell, even your buttbuddy from BCMC said the same thing on the ineffectiveness of such measure.

If anything, your idea will only punish our C-Bill strapped trainees who drop with us, making it even worse for FP population.

Then instead of 50% make it 100%. Done.

Unless your trainees have a really good WLR, I'm not sure how your team will be hurt.

The penalty isn't enough to actually force a loss. It only allows the other team to earn more cbills by making the final score closer.

Only stat wh*res will be hurt by it, and even they have the choice of eating the penalty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users