Faction Fights! 15 Days Of Faction Play Events And Sales!

181 replies to this topic

#101 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:07 AM

As a Loyalist, just want to say thank you PGI and Matt for the free stuff.
I'll play FW any time you bribe me with free stuff

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 01 November 2018 - 06:08 AM.

#102 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:19 AM

Regardless of disagreements in the community about if/how these events could be improved. The fact that you guys took the time to code some faction events is much appreciated by those of us who spend real money on this game only because of FW.

So, sure....listen to feedback, improve where you can....but a sincere thanks to you guys for showing FW some love.

#103 L U C A MCMLXXVI

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

probably it would be better to let some time pass between an event and the next one ... since June there are many events ... they even overlap ...

#104 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 01 November 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

The fact that you guys took the time to code some faction events is much appreciated by those of us who spend real money on this game only because of FW.

^^THIS. Only reason I still play this game is faction play, so thanks

Also, churning out event after event is GREAT. Other games (on all platforms including mobile) have constant events/dailies etc. MWO needs more of that for player retention, not less.

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 01 November 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#105 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:11 AM

I know this is entirely unlikely to ever happen but my personal solution to the issue of loyalists who remain loyal would be to simply make the rewards for them to be greater than the mercenaries, so at the end a merc who jumped around the factions and did all the events would have about the same amount of rewards than the loyalist who only did one part.

But really these events just highlight a bigger issue, that staying loyal to a faction is only a detriment. There are 14 factions and if I stay with Davion I am missing out on 13 factions worth of rewards.

#106 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this but how exactly am I Ignoring/punishing loyalists?

Explain to me how to make an event that doesn't make them feel ignored or punished?

I am asking because is genuinely don't want that to be the sentiment when I create events.

I know this set of faction events isn't particularly creative but i wanted to include all factions and i also wanted to do more Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS as it has a positive response in the past and Faction Play is the only place I can do that.

Re: Probation Period - I am having this investigated to see if and when it could be removed from the game as it also comes up every time a faction play event is created.

Regular Faction Play is turned off to reduce the number of matchmaking buckets

I think the solution is easier than a lot of people are making it out to be for an event like this one.

It simply needs to have the 2 sides of the conflict be inclusive enough that the loyalists can actually play for most / all of the event. Instead of having 1 faction facing 1 faction, the event needs to instead have all the clan factions included for the entire duration of the event. The rewards don't even have to really change if you actively want people swapping sides on a regular basis.

The actual conflict could/should look something like, (Clans Wolf, Ghost Bear, and Diamond shark) Vs. (Clans Steel Viper, Nova Cat, and Smoke Jaguar) and last for an entire week. The IS conflict could be similar, but also last a full week.

Ideally, If the population was high enough, you could also have BOTH the Clan Vs. Clan, and IS. vs. IS buckets open for the entire duration of the event. Even if the population didn't support 2 buckets, even 1 bucket containing half of the available loyalties would be a dramatic improvement from 1 bucket containg 2 individual factions.

As for rewards, they could either be peicemeal for each participant faction (Encouraging many faction switches) or larger, but more generic (Encouraging people to stick with 1 faction) Personally, i kind of like jumping around, so i'd probably just make the rewards unique to each faction, and allow the loyalists that feel rewards aren't worth switching for still capable of at least playing for the whole event.

Edited by Daurock, 01 November 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#107 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Good luck with find loyalist teams to fight.
Oh yeah I forgot there's the stinky sell-swords.
Weel this will be a good time for DDO and pathfinder.

#108 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 01 November 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

Good luck with find loyalist teams to fight.
Oh yeah I forgot there's the stinky sell-swords.
Weel this will be a good time for DDO and pathfinder.

Yes, how dare we have fun playing this game instead of adhering to a strict set of imaginary rules that we impose upon ourselves! We're obviously stinky sell-swords and have no loyalty or honor.

#109 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I know but.....
I comport my game life as I do in my real life.
Kills a lot of fun there tooPosted Image

#110 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 01 November 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Yeah I know but.....
I comport my game life as I do in my real life.
Kills a lot of fun there tooPosted Image

As do I. Today, for example, I hopped in my Warhammer and drove to work. It was a relatively quick commute, people were very quick to let me in on the freeway.

#111 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the fun events.

And thank you for asking for community reactions to the event.

Will you ever release map tools so we can make you new maps?

#112 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

My only gripe with faction specific FP events is when I can't even play FP at all when 2 specific ones are going at it. Since my unit is Steiner loyalist, I just want to make sure that even when Steiner isn't specified in an event, that I can still participate in FP. Allowing only the 2 specified factions access into FP during their allotted time frame decreases the overall potential population during an event playing FP. But then of course, until there's a really big strategic and worthwhile overhaul of FP, keeping the interest of those that finish their challenges is also going to increase wait times for an actual match in faction vs faction without any permitted outside help from other factions. I feel like there should be a normal IS vs Clan FP queue availble alongside factions specific event queues. The old system, where you could pretty much always have a IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan, or IS vs Clan option for a match, these events that choose specific factions for challenges would be much easier to implement than the 1-bucket IS vs Clan we have now. Gets kinda boring when the only time I can possibly face another IS team in FP is during an event, and then can't even do it at all when there's an event between factions. I mean, right now it's the FedCom civil war - shouldn't that at least always be availble too for lore reasons? Even if not, I still preferred the previous '3-buckets' options. Couldn't do any FP during the last FP event since I was neither of the specific factions, and as loyalist, I couldn't switch either. Leaving and rejoining a larger unit just to temporarily go solo and switch is also costly. I still would have liked SOME form of FP queue option available for any faction at all times.

The argument of not having enough player population to allow multiple buckets in FP would be moot if PGI would ever overhaul FP in a way that actually pulls in players and keeps them interested. Faction-only rewards (not talking about loyalty points), better lucrative reasons for holding a planet, using those coffers for strategic options, manufacturing bonuses on certain mechs per planet (basically they can just be on a #% off sale in the store for the unit holding the planet), etc. But before I go too far off topic, I just want to make sure I can still play FP during faction-specific events even when I'm not one of those factions.

Edited by Sevronis, 01 November 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#113 Ninjah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 307 posts
  • LocationComstar Lounge

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

I just find these events boring and way too repetitive/generic. And it's mostly pugs which get stomped in wave 1 and then we have to chase them around the map for 20 minutes and then stand under the dropships farming them. Always the same boring crap. I miss the excitement of meeting nasty 12-man units where we know there is going to be a tough fight till the last mech. For me FP is dead and I don't want to ruin nice memories of it's glory days by playing it in this sorry state.

Edited by Ninjah, 01 November 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#114 Adarven

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

i have to say that I like the events. According FP - I usually play scouting and enjoying it, its something different than QP.

And to others - nobody is forcing you to play every event and get every goal. On the other hand - PGI is giving quite large amount of free MCs + some cocpit items. And that is really nice.

So thx for the events, quite intense, but I can handle it :))))

#115 Ferric Vir

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

Are Freelancers able to earn the rewards for this event as well? I know they did some events in the past where you didnt have to commit to a faction.

#116 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostFerric Vir, on 01 November 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Are Freelancers able to earn the rewards for this event as well? I know they did some events in the past where you didnt have to commit to a faction.

At this point there is absolutely no reason to be a freelancer. Merc contracts have no minimum time commitment, or penalty to break. Right now, you can switch between factions after every game you play.

#117 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this but how exactly am I Ignoring/punishing loyalists?

Explain to me how to make an event that doesn't make them feel ignored or punished?

I am asking because is genuinely don't want that to be the sentiment when I create events.

I know this set of faction events isn't particularly creative but i wanted to include all factions and i also wanted to do more Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS as it has a positive response in the past and Faction Play is the only place I can do that.

Re: Probation Period - I am having this investigated to see if and when it could be removed from the game as it also comes up every time a faction play event is created.

Regular Faction Play is turned off to reduce the number of matchmaking buckets

Hi Matt.

Appreciate that you have gone and done these events for the mode.

These events let you unlock some rewards based on your achievements while fighting for Faction X.
Do X damage, Get X kill Assists etc.
They are not aimed at achieving these against a specific opponent, only that you do it while a member of Faction X.

I want to know if the following is at all possible using the event system or even for regular FP:

Can it just be a big mixing pot of factions?
ie.
Let players represent which ever faction they belong to, form teams of players belonging just to that faction, and then fight against any other faction?

That way no one is excluded.
Players can get the rewards associated with their faction.
We get all out inter-faction conflict.

Can that work in a single queue?
Does that make sense?

#118 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostRustyhammer, on 30 October 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the current event system does not support alliances if I remember correctly, so you cannot have i.e. 2 IS factions fighting 2 other IS factions.

I thought it could combine multiple factions of the same tech base.
But it cannot combine an IS and a Clan faction into one side.

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 31 October 2018 - 02:57 AM, said:

Won't work, i guess. Too many buckets.

Only if it prevents your faction from fighting any of the others.
The 1v1 setup makes it exclusive.

But if it was a 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1
That is, A giant free for all faction fight in the single queue......

#119 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:35 PM

View PostUPnADAM, on 30 October 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

matt just ignore all the haters. You could literally stand on the street corner and hand out hundred dollar bills and some of the ppl in this game would still wine

Well of course we would : Do you realize how far that street is from the players of this game ???

#120 Mafarrico

• PipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostKell Aset, on 31 October 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Events with rewards like mech bays/MC/mechs/colours/camos are the only reason for me to even consider playing this so called "Faction" Play in its current state. FP is a shallow game mode where winning or losing planets doesn't matter since all planets are the same and equally unimportant. Borders change on big IS map and that doesn't matter.
We can't do anything with those planets that our factions already control, can't upgrade them, build anything on them like more turrets, radar towers, more walls etc. Map resets that we have from time to time make any sort of conquest even more meaningless.
Also, nothing in this game mode makes me care about my so called "faction" nothing makes me care about planets, why would I care more about planet X over planet Y? why would I care that my "faction" lost number of planets or some particular planet? My "faction" is winning or losing but why should I care? There are no consequences of any sort.
We don't really have "factions" in MWO, just bunch of ppl with same faction logos, we dont have faction leaders nor even faction leader representatives, we have fancy faction ranks in FP that are so very meaningless, all those generals, galaxy commanders etc. cant do ****, have no "real power" if only we had some politics system, alliances or a little of that planet upgrading stuff perhaps then they would have smth to do.
Really a shame, I would like CW/FW/FP to be more than it is but I'm waiting for that to happen for a long time already heh.

nailed it, please hire this guy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users