Faction Fights! 15 Days Of Faction Play Events And Sales!

181 replies to this topic

#21 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostFATA13RR0R, on 30 October 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

I cant recognize mech on that screen... Maybe I'am too old for this s**t

The closer one? I think that's the back of a Warhammer. Maybe. If I squint really, really hard. Other mech looks to be a Cataphract

#22 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostFATA13RR0R, on 30 October 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

I cant recognize mech on that screen... Maybe I'am too old for this s**t

It's the back of an Incubus.

#23 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostMikayshen, on 30 October 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

The closer one? I think that's the back of a Warhammer. Maybe. If I squint really, really hard. Other mech looks to be a Cataphract

Yes, that is a Cataphract and the other is an Incubus!
https://static.mwome...49f7bf3bea3.jpg

#24 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

Hmm while this event doesn't phase me...

I can't see the 1,000s of Loyalists being particularly happy with yet another event that basically ignores them. That's almost 2 years now of this issue... I get that the event system is limited but surely there is a way to include them without forcing them to go mercenary when they have no intention of doing so?

#25 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yes, that is a Cataphract and the other is an Incubus!
https://static.mwome...49f7bf3bea3.jpg

Yay I was right! And iv only seen the thing like, three times lol.

#26 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 October 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yay I was right! And iv only seen the thing like, three times lol.

I remember seeing them when they were released then never again.

#27 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

Just to double check - normal IS vs Clan faction games are being shut off during this 15 day period, correct?

#28 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I'm probably going to regret asking this but how exactly am I Ignoring/punishing loyalists?

Explain to me how to make an event that doesn't make them feel ignored or punished?

I am asking because is genuinely don't want that to be the sentiment when I create events.

I know this set of faction events isn't particularly creative but i wanted to include all factions and i also wanted to do more Clan vs Clan and IS vs IS as it has a positive response in the past and Faction Play is the only place I can do that.

Re: Probation Period - I am having this investigated to see if and when it could be removed from the game as it also comes up every time a faction play event is created.

Regular Faction Play is turned off to reduce the number of matchmaking buckets

#29 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

The loyalists never want to leave their faction, so during FP events in which their faction is not involved, they're cut off from playing FP.

#30 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostNightbird, on 30 October 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

The loyalists never want to leave their faction, so during FP events in which their faction is not involved, they're cut off from playing FP.

I am going to be flippant here but...I have included all factions in this event.
In fact, nobody should have to switch for this event.
They are choosing to switch or not to switch right?

#31 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Very simple Matt - For anyone that is a loyalist they need to leave their faction to participate in any of the 'other' faction event days.

Loyalists are loyal for a reason. They have played like that for 20 years over multiple iterations of the game etc. Part of the LORE and all that jazz.

They simply do not want to break loyalty to play in an event. Thus, feel totally ignored. I mean, they are. It's not a feeling, it's reality for them. Removing Probation period won't fix anything. Because you still are asking people to break loyalty to participate in the event (the key issue). So removing probation games won't really change much.

I get you're in a rock and a hard place with the event system, buckets/queue depth and so on and I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

I mean I don't care, I just swap to Mercenary and play. But for these other guys they've been ignored since the new ToW system and bucket merge was put in place with events. We've given this feedback to Paul as part of the FP fixes threads/discussion as well and he acknowledged it as an issue.

#32 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

I am going to be flippant here but...I have included all factions in this event.

I switch factions several times a day, I can't understand it either.

I don't think there are any solutions you can implement in the short term.

Edited by Nightbird, 30 October 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#33 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

Ah I think I see what the problem is. People got a bit too comfy with the long duration multi stage event that was the trick or treat event. As a result, they think they are supposed to partake in as many of the faction warfare events as they can manage also - rather than participating in the one thats for the faction they are part of.

#34 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

One day you mean? :)

Say you are a Jade Falcon Loyalist. You get to 'play your day' when it comes up. After that, because you're a fierce loyalist, you can't participate in earn rewards there after.

You're forcing people to switch to continue playing. A whole section of the community does not want to do that and never will because of what I outlined above.

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 October 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Ah I think I see what the problem is. People got a bit too comfy with the long duration multi stage event that was the trick or treat event. As a result, they think they are supposed to partake in as many of the faction warfare events as they can manage also - rather than participating in the one thats for the faction they are part of.

For some factions loyslists this is the first event they've been able to participate in for over 12 months.

It's not just about rewards.

#35 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

Well, the punishment looks like

"Let's say I'm a Steiner Loyalist during this series of events. If I am unwilling (or unable) to change to something else (Jade Falcon, for example), then not only am I locked out of the Jade Falcon vs Wolf portion of the event, I am ALSO locked out of normal IS vs Clan games as well. During this time period, I am punished by being completely unable to play any kind of faction play games at all."

Most of the people who fall into the above scenario have zero interest in playing Quickplay or Group Play. They are here to play Faction Play. Period. So by initiating this event, and by cutting off the availability of normal IS vs Clan faction play games, the are cut off from playing MWO for the during the vents.

In order to make people not feel punished, all you have to do is NOT cut them off from normal IS vs Clan pay during the event. That's it. It's that simple.

#36 Bwah Ha Ha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Matt it would be nice if we could get the probationary period just removed entirely. Otherwise its players decision not Matts on whether you want to partake of another challenge.

#37 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 30 October 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

In order to make people not feel punished, all you have to do is NOT cut them off from normal IS vs Clan pay during the event. That's it. It's that simple.

There's not enough loyalists to kick off any games. You more often get people trying to do the event dropping in it by accident and being annoyed.

#38 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 30 October 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

To be clear the 750 K per objective for TSP owners is for this particular event.

Can we get a clarification?
Event notes say: "TSP Owners will also be receiving 3 copies of the "Cloud" Cockpit Standing Item."
Does that mean TSP Owners will get it irregardless if they play FP? (Yay if true)
OR is there some minimum level of participation like 1 FP drop to get the cloud cockpit items???

Edited by Akillius, 30 October 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#39 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

View PostNightbird, on 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

There's not enough loyalists to kick off any games.

Maybe there is, maybe there's not. Doesn't matter, though. The critical part is being locked out of the possibility.

You more often get people trying to do the event dropping in it by accident and being annoyed.

Idiots who don't pay attention to what they are clicking on get no sympathy from me.

#40 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

The consequences which followed from going to two buckets (IS v. clan) created clear delineation between two camps in FW. 1. Those who were of a Merc mindset in that they just go where the fights are and where it’s most rewarding. 2. Those who are hard-core loyal to a particular faction. Maybe they even role-play....but at the minimum the idea of leaving to collect rewards would feel traitorous to their faction. It doesn’t matter if you make it penalty-free it’s still treason.

During the normal (day-to-day) 2 bucket conflict there is little issue, as both camps fight sid by side, but with these events group #2 feels shafted as they can’t play FW for any days other than their factions conflict period.

I am in camp #1 (which is likely the bigger group) and don’t really understand why camp #2 can’t find a way to do it....it’s a game after all.....but I don’t have to understand to know it’s a big deal to probably the most loyal (to MWO) part of the FW community.

As others have stated there may not be easy short term fix, but if the main IS v Clan conflict was left open they could still have a place to try to play FW (might be difficult to get drops though)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users