Light Gauss Receiving Another Buff, But Is It Enough?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:14 AM

For me the Light Gauss is fine as it is and the changes are small like a bigger engine and a little bit more damage on range for my catapults.

But are there folk that are like: "Yeah now I'm gonna use it!"?
If yes, why, if no, what needs to change to the weapon for you to consider using it?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:52 AM

Still not gonna use it. It needs more damage per shot, it's too heavy for the damage it provides. Increase cooldown and make it 10 damage, and I'll consider it viable.

#3 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:53 AM

Not at all.
The buff is to ammo, which really only brings it in line to 200 damage/ton.

I think the CDR needs to be lower or the charge needs to be removed entirely so it's DPS is more viable.

#4 Hanks 427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:08 AM

It's fun to run 4 light gauss and constantly sending rounds downrange, but the damage is mostly dissapointing.

#5 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:37 AM

In short - No. It doesn't really do anything for the weapon. Throwing the extreme effective range out there a little further doesn't fix the fundamental problem with the weapon - It doesn't do enough damage for its weight, and has other alternatives that far out-strip it.

I mentioned it in a post a few days back, but I think what I'd like to see with the weapon would be an Increase in damage, and a cooldown more in line with the clan gauss rifle. (As it already shares a tonnage with the Clan gauss, have it share damage with it too.) As a down side, the weapon would only be capable of charging 1 at a time, and have a ghost heat threshold also set to 1.

This "Anti-boat" type of behavior would make the weapon the Go-To for lighter IS mechs, and some Heavier mechs looking to add a single gauss to their Vomit build. Mechs running twins, those looking for Gauss+PPC builds, and those mechs which run into situations where they're slot limited rather than tonnage limited, would be looking at the Standard Gauss Rifles instead.

It would give the weapon a niche to be used in, tighten up the Clan-VS-IS vomit equation a little bit, and keep it from stepping on the AC 2/5 Toes in that it doesn't become a spammy weapon. (Something its somewhat in danger of already with its current cooldown.)

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

allow charging 4

#7 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:47 AM

That's an easy one. NO!

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

it needed 10 damage and a slightly longer cooldown to balance out the additional damage

not more ammo per ton

and all you nerfherders that are like "but if LGauss did 10 damage the AC10 would be obsolete"; the AC10 is already obsolete because of the UAC10. Light Gauss needs to compete with the UAC10 not the AC10.

Edited by Khobai, 12 November 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

I would remove the charge mechanic - firing light gauss on a ballistic quirked mech is literally painful. (like, no joke I got a cramp in my finger lol)

#10 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

Against opponents with a coordinated team and high Alpha peek builds, it is absolutely terrible. However, it is a wonderful potato blaster in solo queue :P

Those poor tatos think it is a much bigger weapon than it actually is.

#11 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:02 PM

9 damage. Or remove the charge-up. Charge-up is ridiculous for a weapon that does 8 damage, and why you should never add apocryphal nerf systems to BattleTech main weapons to fix a hole in your game. It's like the Light Gauss inherited the charge-up from the standard Gauss for continuity and not for any 'Balancing' reason.

#12 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

I think there are several things they could do to make it worth the investment into the crit space and weight, but I think a simple +2 increase to damage would work just fine. I'd leave the cooldown as it is now, and the ammo after the recent ammo buff, and give it 10 damage per shot. Leave the charge mechanic in for now. See how that works.

#13 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

As the ultra sniping weapon niche exemplar does it really need a charge up ?
Just add the charge up to cooldown time.
DPS is already significantly lower than AC10 and AC/2.

#14 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

View Postdwwolf, on 12 November 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

the AC10's dps is significantly lower than the UAC10's dps

you should be comparing light gauss to the UAC10 not the AC10. the AC10 is obsolete and has been for a while.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 November 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

allow charging 4

3 maybe, but 4 might be a little extreme. mind you this would only apply for lgrs. 24 damage at range seems competitive with erll, erppc and ac2 spam.

#16 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

They didn't just increase the the ammo count by 5 per ton (2 per half ton) they also buffed the max from 1500 to 1600 which goes a heck of a lot higher with range quirks and skills. Though I would have push its optimal range out a bit more like 950m or 1000m before the range quirks.

#17 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 12 November 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

They didn't just increase the the ammo count by 5 per ton (2 per half ton) they also buffed the max from 1500 to 1600 which goes a heck of a lot higher with range quirks and skills. Though I would have push its optimal range out a bit more like 950m or 1000m before the range quirks.

Oh wait A target appears at 1600M...charge uuuu....FFFFFFFF he's gone.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:15 PM

View Postdwwolf, on 12 November 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

AC2 builds accumulate heat though and can be at risk of overheating. Gauss families use only 1 heat so they can sustain indefinitely. So there must be some draw backs.

Still will not use LGauss post patch except for some fun builds, cause of 13 tons for 8 damage with charge. I am fine with PTR experimenting with LGauss with no charge.

#19 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:36 AM

If it did as much damage as a Large Laser, it would be worth taking on more than a few builds. As-is I only bother on a Rifleman and Uziel.

#20 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:12 AM

Get rid of the charge and I'd use it. For the weight/dmg/range I'd just take reg gauss or an AC10.

When some ankle biter is circling me I want more than 8dmg if I have to deal with charging up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users