172 replies to this topic

#81 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:04 AM

Mw5 will not be a flop and is moving along nicely. I’ll say one thing. People were talking about the terrain being invincible. Those were turned off this time around. Not to be confused with they don’t exist.

However, if the presentations people in these forums got to see through twitch was all I knew about it. I too would be saying the same thing.

PGI’s next big job, one they are not very good at will be showing off MW5 and it’s various systems. Big stomps destruction demos are nice, but will never convey the depth in the game.

We need in depth videos about:

Steam workshop modding (how far can you go)
Economy
Customization
Procedurally generated levels and missions
Expansion (DLC) obviously this has to wait until license talks are done.

#82 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:09 AM

View PostRoland09, on 02 December 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yes.

Back in the day, we were promised this:

This weekend, we got this: https://clips.twitch...dSkirretPJSugar

My entusiasm is going through the roof… of the People living all the stories directly below me.

I looked at the whole discussion ( https://www.twitch.t...2611?t=4h34m17s ) and that sounds spot-on about the problem with Faction Play. There is very little RP value to current Faction Play and if this could be addressed meaningfully in a way that creates a community of players MWO would take off.

I think part of it is about rewards, like maybe you could earn a data card that might represent a new hardpoint or armor/weapon boost, etc. and one card only could be inserted into a mech at a time, but they are interchangeable pieces. That would be a reward that players would drool over and send them on the Faction Play quest. It is a quest. Then how they earn that data card creates the RP and community. Still like the idea of lone-wolf freedom vs loyalist/unit faction reliance. Lone Wolf only takes gravy contracts or best they can get, Loyalist gets steady rate of rewards. Something like that. But the reward for this has to be something players feel they must have. The questing factor.

#83 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostImperius, on 03 December 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

Mw5 will not be a flop and is moving along nicely. I’ll say one thing. People were talking about the terrain being invincible. Those were turned off this time around. Not to be confused with they don’t exist.

However, if the presentations people in these forums got to see through twitch was all I knew about it. I too would be saying the same thing.

PGI’s next big job, one they are not very good at will be showing off MW5 and it’s various systems. Big stomps destruction demos are nice, but will never convey the depth in the game.

Economy
Customization

My only really concern is will AI enemy's be any good. Weak AI can ruin a game like this.

View PostLightfoot, on 03 December 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

I looked at the whole discussion ( https://www.twitch.t...2611?t=4h34m17s ) and that sounds spot-on about the problem with Faction Play. There is very little RP value to current Faction Play and if this could be addressed meaningfully in a way that creates a community of players MWO would take off.

I think part of it is about rewards, like maybe you could earn a data card that might represent a new hardpoint or armor/weapon boost, etc. and one card only could be inserted into a mech at a time, but they are interchangeable pieces. That would be a reward that players would drool over and send them on the Faction Play quest. It is a quest. Then how they earn that data card creates the RP and community. Still like the idea of lone-wolf freedom vs loyalist/unit faction reliance. Lone Wolf only takes gravy contracts or best they can get, Loyalist gets steady rate of rewards. Something like that. But the reward for this has to be something players feel they must have. The questing factor.

Yea but people start screaming P2W with special perks like that. Even if that's none sense. At this point in the game there are no mech with hard points so strong it just the best no matter what. With quirks and skill tree there a lot mech to take that can surpass what your taking or something different that can counter you.

Edited by SirSmokes, 03 December 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#84 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:23 AM

It'll do fine, a single player game only needs to entertain for 20 hours or so. Plus no PvP so no one will complain about imbalances.

#85 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

It'll do fine, a single player game only needs to entertain for 20 hours or so. Plus no PvP so no one will complain about imbalances.

Easier to balance player vs AI. AIs don't complain when things are not fair and unbalanced. Well not yet anyways;)

#86 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 03 December 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

My only really concern is will AI enemy's be any good. Weak AI can ruin a game like this.

Yea but people start screaming P2W with special perks like that. Even if that's none sense. At this point in the game there are no mech with hard points so strong it just the best no matter what. With quirks and skill tree there a lot mech to take that can surpass what your taking or something different that can counter you.

There is no charge for perks you earn by questing so it's not P2W. In MWO's case Faction Play is the Quest. You just have to do the quest. PGI's job is to make that quest great RP and draw players into a community of mech pilots. But the quest reward is key.

As far as MW5 goes I love what I see so far. It will be an awesome MechWarrior game. Can't wait. My only caveat is 40 plus missions or more. Mercenary contract board where you have some control over where you go in the timeline. 3 or 4 endings. What would be new is any sequels pick up where the previous player character was left, if desired.

and... if you go to nasa.gov right now you can see Osiris-Rex arrive at asteroid Bennu. cheers! https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Edited by Lightfoot, 03 December 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#87 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

Played the demo over 7 times. It will be good. You guys need to relax.

#88 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostKonrad, on 03 December 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Played the demo over 7 times. It will be good. You guys need to relax.

I am no doom sayer I am optimistic.

#89 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

View PostImperius, on 03 December 2018 - 08:04 AM, said:

Economy
Customization

I'm not happy with the fact there was no mechlab showcase.

#90 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 03 December 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm not happy with the fact there was no mechlab showcase.

It's just a vertical slice. Not a full demo.

#91 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostKonrad, on 03 December 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

It's just a vertical slice. Not a full demo.

Could care less when you say that.

Even a small sliver of visuals on it and I'd be completely different in opinion.

#92 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:11 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 03 December 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Could care less when you say that.

Even a small sliver of visuals on it and I'd be completely different in opinion.

I am sure we will get to see that in the coming year. It was obvious to me where it fits in, in the drop ship.

#93 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Because PGI made it. 'nuff said.

#94 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

I played MW5 at mechcon using M&KB.

Gameplay mechanics are rock solid. In terms of how the mechs handle and feel.

Aiming and shooting was not a hassle

For me, it all comes down to the story and story telling now.

Also... from mw5 website:

Posted Image

#95 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

I think delevopment is well in hand here.

Edit: yes, story will be very important here.

Edited by Konrad, 03 December 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#96 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Been quite a while since i posted here or played MWO (to busy playing with ma boats), just watched the mechcon gameplay, looks pretty decent to me.
Been reading a lot of the Battletech novels and the landscape in the video definitely resembles what's described in some novels.
Building destruction isn't amazing, but atleast it's in there and can always be improved on.
Not to bothered about ingame sounds, as modders will take care of that quickly.
Those PPC effects are amazing!.
My only concern is the Ai, basically running in circles, but that can always be improved on.
Last thing, i see the negative know-it-alls still shout the loudest, be happy you are getting MW5 at all, because without PGI you would get nothing.
Hell i'm actually tempted to update MWO and play some matches again.

#97 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostKHETTI, on 03 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

(to busy playing with ma boats)

Me too!

#98 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostKonrad, on 03 December 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

Me too!

You enjoying the pain that is the dumbest playerbase in gaming?.

#99 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Almost as much as I've been enjoying the CV re-work.

#100 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostKonrad, on 03 December 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

Almost as much as I've been enjoying the CV re-work.

Gah CV mains, complete potatoes in anything but CV's, quite telling, rework looks good though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users