#101 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

It'll do fine, a single player game only needs to entertain for 20 hours or so. Plus no PvP so no one will complain about imbalances.

That would be a rip off to me.Only 20 frekin hours? I work longer than that during the week. I've got over 600 hours in mgsv and countless more in skyrim with all the mods i've tried and times I've re-rolled characters. If a game doesn't entertain you its not worth the money spent. Any game like skyrim that can be given new things constantly with quality behind it will be far worth more the money paid.

#102 Konrad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 769 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

With mods and missions it will be playable for a very long time.

#103 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 03 December 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

That would be a rip off to me.Only 20 frekin hours? I

Of course you can replay it if you want. If you've ever been to a movie theater that's 10$ (or 15$ for me here) for 2hrs, then 60$ for 20 hrs is a deal.

#104 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostKonrad, on 03 December 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

With mods and missions it will be playable for a very long time.

That is what I hope for but we all know how well pgi can disappoint. Right when you think they can't disappoint you they find a way. In the end all that matters is how much mod support the game really ships with vs what bs markeeting or the top three nimrods try and hype up. I'd have called them stooges but that would disrespect howard,howard and fine and I enjoy watching Three Stooges. Under Jules White they made some very funny shorts.

#105 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Of course you can replay it if you want. If you've ever been to a movie theater that's 10$ (or 15$ for me here) for 2hrs, then 60$ for 20 hrs is a deal.

My issue is paying $60 for a mediocre 20 hours when I've payed from $30 to $0 for hundreds of good hours with other games. Why not just play more of those?

#106 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 03 December 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

My issue is paying $60 for a mediocre 20 hours when I've payed from $30 to $0 for hundreds of good hours with other games. Why not just play more of those?

Did you know you'd spend hundreds of hours before you've even played it? If you buy the game and assuming you don't stop and refund it right away, you'll spend 20hrs on one play through.

#107 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

Wow, what do ya know, a pre alpha tech demo is pre alpha tech demo and not ready for mass consumer consumption. SHOCKER!

#108 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

so when can we pre order??

no matter how bad pgi has done and with MWO, i am quite sure most of the people will still pre order mw5 and buy the game when it comes, reason being, love of battletech...

#109 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:00 PM

Can we do away with the notion that hour count is equivalent to value? A 300 hour game that's 90% grind and meaningless side content is not better than a tight, well-focused campaign. I play games for the experience, not to use up my free time.

Titanfall 2's campaign clocked in at 6 hours and it's one of the best single-player shooter campaigns I've ever played.

#110 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:10 PM

Armlock was on during the pod demo. I played the M/K version and it was normal arm swing and targeting. I thought it was quite fun for the single mission I played. My only complaint was that I couldn't invert the mouse for my playtime, so I was having a heck of a time staying on target. On the technical end, I only saw a small physics bug in my playthrough, that when I destroyed 2 of the mechs, they did a small bounce instead of collapsing properly. The other mechs I destroyed, collapsed as expected. I thought it was fun and look forward to getting the full game.

#111 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:39 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 01 December 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

If Mechwarrior 5 doesn't have at least a couple of these features by release then it's best if PGI cancels it.

Legged mechs stay legged.
Knockdown.
Critical Hits.
Deep water and Heat Reduces mobility.
High heat, head damage or PPC fire scrambles the hud.
Visible damage from inside the cockpit (Cables broken, sparks flying, broken windshield, bloody screen, leaking gases)
DFA.
Ramming damage.
Self Destruct.
Manual Ejection.
AOE ammo explosion damage and cascading engine failures within 90m

*edit*
Highlighted is a must.

I think you and PGI may have different priorities. I've never considered any of those things a priority for a game to be successful.
Most people I'm sure would agree that the state of a mech should be consistent, I don't know why a mech would suddenly regain the use of a lost leg.
Knockdowns are of debatable value and interest, there's a strong case against them in standard BattleTech (ie for many people, they are absolutely not fun and are susceptible to people gaming the rules).
Deep water & heat reducing mobility seems entirely reasonable. I'd like to see that in MWO - I think riding the edge of the heat scale should make the entire piloting experience more difficult.
Most damage to mechs happens on the outside. If they were subject to damage within the cockpit, you'd end up with dead and maimed pilots faster than you can say 'exploding StarTrek command consoles'.

#112 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:40 AM

I see many comments from thr people who played the game at MechCon and most of them were more or less satisfied.

That's inspiring. Lets hope the game will turn out to be a good one, its obvious it has a huge potential.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what PGI is doing and their key contribution to the revival of Mechwarrior, but I dont want them to make some xbox-oriented simplified copy of MWO.

#113 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

Modsuppirt with many restrictions ....

also Russ Bullock

Will there be any multiplayer beyond the co-op, or will that be something people could mod in later?
I won’t be giving away any secrets about future or possible future updates to MW5. As to the initial release of MW5, yes, it’s a single player/co-op PvE experience. I suppose it might be possible for mod teams to put in basic PvP gameplay but nowadays PvP experiences are extremely complex undertakings that now are no longer viewed as a throw-in to every FPS product. A proper PvP experience like MWO has a central database and server infrastructure that controls and even simulates server authoritative hit detection. MW5 won’t have that kind of infrastructure upon release and 100% of our development time is going into making the best PvE game we possibly can. Who knows how future plans for MWO might evolve.

https://www.gamingne...ries-Interview/

und polygon
https://www.polygon....ull-mod-support

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries’ campaign will begin in the year 3015 in the game’s timeline and stretch for 35 years. Full mod support means players can “customize their own missions, contracts, planetary systems, biomes, and much more, via powerful toolsets and Steam Workshop integration,” according to a news release.

#114 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:33 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 04 December 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

Modsuppirt with many restrictions ....

also Russ Bullock

Will there be any multiplayer beyond the co-op, or will that be something people could mod in later?
I won’t be giving away any secrets about future or possible future updates to MW5. As to the initial release of MW5, yes, it’s a single player/co-op PvE experience. I suppose it might be possible for mod teams to put in basic PvP gameplay but nowadays PvP experiences are extremely complex undertakings that now are no longer viewed as a throw-in to every FPS product. A proper PvP experience like MWO has a central database and server infrastructure that controls and even simulates server authoritative hit detection. MW5 won’t have that kind of infrastructure upon release and 100% of our development time is going into making the best PvE game we possibly can. Who knows how future plans for MWO might evolve.

https://www.gamingne...ries-Interview/

und polygon
https://www.polygon....ull-mod-support

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries’ campaign will begin in the year 3015 in the game’s timeline and stretch for 35 years. Full mod support means players can “customize their own missions, contracts, planetary systems, biomes, and much more, via powerful toolsets and Steam Workshop integration,” according to a news release.

He mentioned, specifically, discussing the license renewal with MS before there were any definite plans about the MWO platform itself. Like an engine upgrade. He mentioned needing help to make it happen.

#115 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

Couldn't load up an image from graphics and cockpits comparison. MWO came out in September 2013, but beta year before. Comparing from 2018 cockpits to 2561. (DSC Flight simulator, to MWO: Battletech). And all the years to make an effort on it. And the abuse of CPU intensive. I even suggestion on one of those monitors in the cockpit of our own computer system specs, and temps. I will be purchasing Mech5, because I am a huge Battletech fanatic. But cmon, get with the times.

Edited by GuardDogg, 04 December 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#116 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostNightbird, on 03 December 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Did you know you'd spend hundreds of hours before you've even played it? If you buy the game and assuming you don't stop and refund it right away, you'll spend 20hrs on one play through.

Shockingly, it's pretty easy to predict how much time you'll get out of a game based on reviews, knowledge of the content, knowledge of the developer, &c. Same deal with the quality of those hours.

I'll pony up the cash for a really excellent 15-25 hours of story that I don't feel any need to replay. I'll do the same for a game that I know I'll be able to sink hundreds of hours into.

It's PGI making a game set in the BTech universe, so it's marginally competent developers writing a story in a setting known for being riddled with predictable, cliched plots (not to mention that BTech canon already has about five billion iterations of "band of exiles form merc outfit"). That nixes spending $60 for a really enjoyable story.

If it is as it appears, and is a direct port of MWO gameplay into Unreal engine with a shooting gallery of AI even more braindead than the average QP team, with relatively limited 'mech customization and a Totally Original and Interesting Story, it's going to be done by the time you hit endgame and have your assaults (unless the higher AI is seriously improved over the EZmodo setting used at MechCon and the macro difficulty isn't watered down for casuls as I suspect it will be).

I would ******* love for MW5 to be great and successful. I would love for PGI to get the money to hire a team of competent devs to rebuild MWO in the Unreal engine. But after years and years of disappointment piled atop disappointment, you'd have to be a fool to expect that outcome.

#117 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:01 PM

Developer
Developer
221 posts
Posted Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Answer from chris L. To a Post from Joshua McEvedy

It is not sun-setting in favor of MW5. MW5 is a singleplayer with a peer to peer co-op mode as reported by many outlets that came up to Mech_Con. MW5 is not releasing with any form of PvP multiplayer, that experience for the immediate future will remain firmly in the realm of MWO. While they share the same IP, both games at targeting different aspects of 'Mech combat. With MW5 firmly focused on Single / Co-op Player PvE, while MWO is firmly focused on PvP.

As far as the licensing is concerned, we simply cannot talk about that at this time, but I want to remind everyone that during the Q&A, Russ explicitly stated that he is heading down to Seattle this week to talk with Microsoft about that very subject. When there is something to report on that front, I am sure we will announce it just as we had before when the license was renewed 5 years ago. Until that time, do not expect any of us to be able to make any further comments on this subject.
so mw5 will never have the structures for pvp in the next years or for pvp mods

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 04 December 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#118 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

So, at the end of all this, my take away is "We're so used to complaining that we'll complain about a game before it's even close to market-ready because, reasons". Am I missing something here, or is jist of the grognard thrust about on point?

#119 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

View PostAidan Kell, on 04 December 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

So, at the end of all this, my take away is "We're so used to complaining that we'll complain about a game before it's even close to market-ready because, reasons". Am I missing something here, or is jist of the grognard thrust about on point?

The reason for the unease, dismay, and general lack of enthusiasm for this "unreleased project" can be easily summed up with three little letters.

P

G

I

Seriously, do you happen to remember such wonderful episodes as "no third person", "you're on an island", "you are not the target audience", "60-90 days", "60-90 days", "Uhh... yeah, 60-90 days". Been around since closed beta, played off and on over the years, and have gotten to really understand PGI's development ideology.

Let me spell it out for you in sorta order-ish listings:

1. Generate hype in a small insular community for niche Giant robot game
2. Make many promises, lay out "the plan".
3. Delay.
4. Drop "Minimally Viable Product".
5. Slowly iterate on said MVP.
6. Reduce features of MVP graphically.
7. Reduce features of MVP physics-wise.
8. Break netcode for months.
9. Fix netcode for two weeks.
10. Break netcode again for months.
11. Bandaid netcode, bork balance.
12. Balance see-saw's more than a pair of 6 year old children high on sugar and caffeine at the local park.
13. Issue new gameplay systems to fix broken balance.
14. Issue new gameplay systems to fix broken balance's broken balance.
15. Issue new gameplay systems to fix broken balance's broken balance, with more broken balance.
16. Institute new gameplay system that fixes original balance issue, leave all other changes in place.
17. Claim all issues with the project are cause by "IGP" the "Publisher".
18. Claim things will be DIFFERENT! and BETTER!, ask for community feedback. Disregard feedback in its entirety.
19. Promise NEW! BETTER! Game mode in 60-90 days.
20. 60-90 days have passed, ask for 60-90 days more.
21. 60-90 days have passed, ask for 60-90 days more.
22. Release information about NEW! BETTER! gamemode...say for 60-90 days more.
23. Finally release NEW! BETTER! Gamemode. it is MVP and broken.
24. Request community feedback on fixing MVP New gamemode. Disregard feedback entirely.
25. Issue new gameplay features to fix previous broken balance's balance issues.
26. Community hates new features, promise revamp, do revamp on test server, disregard all feedback, implement new feature.
27. Community hates new feature's new features. Promise revamp, do test server, disregard all feedback, implement changes.
28. Community REALLY hates new features changes, promise once more to change them, do test server, disregard all input, implement changes.

I mean, hell man, I could go on and on and on... Do you see why people would be a little leery of MW:5 Mercs since they know who is working on it and their history with the franchise over the past half decade?

I am, guardedly underwhelmed so far with what they've shown.

Edited by dimachaerus, 04 December 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#120 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:12 PM

And in thats its not the hyped "transverse" disaster...or the marketing joke to the razor artemis joystick

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 04 December 2018 - 11:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users