Who Is Pgi Listening To ?

159 replies to this topic

#101 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 812 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostChris Lowrey, on 04 December 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Going to go a bit more inside baseball then I probably should for this, so taking off my developer hat for the rest of this post, but when Paul made that statement, he was running on literally only 45 minutes of sleep the night before, and only 2 hours of sleep on Thursday going into Friday making extra sure the Super Pods where in a state that they worked flawlessly for the convention and not break down and potentially have to turn away attendees that we guaranteed would have a shot at the pods. Or deny the streamers or the standard ticket holders from being able to try out the pods. (Which they didn't. Not one pod broke down the entire convention to my knowledge.)

And how does that help the gigantically vast majority of players who didn't go to mech con? Our dollars ultimately got spent on the pods - what do we get out of it?

At least if the time, effort, and money got spent on in-game improvements that all players get to enjoy, we'd be able to say the resources were well spent.

#102 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 04 December 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

And how does that help the gigantically vast majority of players who didn't go to mech con? Our dollars ultimately got spent on the pods - what do we get out of it?

At least if the time, effort, and money got spent on in-game improvements that all players get to enjoy, we'd be able to say the resources were well spent.

They're technically not "our dollars". When you pay for a mechpack, you received a mechpack. What PGI wants to do with that money is theirs to do as they please.

#103 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 04 December 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

The money you spent on this game is PGI's to spend as they see fit. You don't get to dictate how they use it, because you already got something for your money, which is a mech pack or MC or whatever.

EDIT: Beat'd

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 04 December 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#104 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

View PostNightbird, on 04 December 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

Look friend, it's a MP game with friends, we can't actively kill teams as much as some people want to. Also, I said there are other solutions, for example, adding AI and letting people who don't like PvP do PvE.

Another solution is to force solo droppers into a different queue, but it won't work because it's impossible to prevent sync dropping and also the pop/wait time won't support it.

All sorts of solutions with different costs and benefits. AI: too expensive, non-starter (from PGI, not me). Solo-queue: low cost, 0 benefits due to exploits and also creates worse queue times.

The solution I presented is intended to be fast and easy, and will make some difference. You can look at teams, you can look at maps, and increase or decrease the tonnage difference to make the fight closer. It won't force pre-mades to die, and it gives weaker teams a lot more kills and earnings. Is it perfect? No, it's a compromise. Don't like it? Suggest something better and let other people critique it, just like I let others critique my idea and no one was able to find anything contrary. It won't make matches perfect, but it'll make a difference in the right direction.

Lastly, the reason I went with making a tonnage drop voluntary (with a earnings penalty) is also a requirement from PGI, no changes to drop deck compliance rules. If PGI is willing to adjust that, we can force strong teams to ton down and matches WILL be better.

Well friend splitting the FP ques solo/premades was always the right way to go about retaining more players not only in FP but in MWO itself and the devs know it.

And im a solo/casual player and a premade team member for what 10 years now in MWO and 20+ in the BattleTech /MechWarrior games it was never about getting rid of teams it was about retaining enough new players to generate more teams for faction play and sustaining the game through cash flow for development.many cant understand the concept of player retention in this IP even the devs have made huge mistakes at this.

When a games community is treated like dogchit and basically ignored by the game company the player numbers suffer and over the life of this game PGI has lost over a million registered players due to arrogance and ignorance and you or I or any player left cant sway there minds on fixing this game.

#105 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 04 December 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

Well friend splitting the FP ques solo/premades was always the right way to go about retaining more players not only in FP but in MWO itself and the devs know it.

They did split the FP queue into solo versus group a while back. The solo queue had 0 drops in 6 hrs. How does that help retain players?

#106 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

I thought I was done commenting, but since 5 years later ONE dev is listening here you frikin' go. THE FOUNDERS WERE YOUR TARGET COMMUNITY. How on the good green earth did you NOT understand that from day frikin' one. WE have 30+ years of playing this game and fed you the ways to balance. Hardpoint size and the warnings your FOUNDERS gave you on the gauss cat. NOT to nerf gauss, and make lights=assaults in facetime battles. ALL warnings your FOUNDERS who gave you a whole lot of real $$$$$$$ that was to support this game and look what you did. We are not your target audience. If we were not sirs, you were shooting at the wrong target the whole time. Adjust fire 30 degrees right and send it. IF you want to salvage the game. There would be more work to do than I think PGI will let you do at this point, but GLHF. Maybe scroll through some old founders posts if you need the answers you seek.

#107 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

Chris Lowrey, can you please ask Paul, when he recuperates, to give an update about CW plans? Please. How much of what was spoken at CW podcast is still relevant?

#108 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:10 AM

View PostNightbird, on 04 December 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

They did split the FP queue into solo versus group a while back. The solo queue had 0 drops in 6 hrs. How does that help retain players?

Sure they did a half assssss attempt to do it and it flopped just like MW5 will flop just like Solaris has flopped because they don't listen to any sane way to implement things.

Plus on top of that they split FP and never told anyone for what days then the premade crybaby's started to whine and they pulled the plug never even giving it a chance to work correctly.

So no they never tried it they just tried to fool everyone again to placate the player base they have become real good at that over 10 years.

#109 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:14 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 05 December 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

So no they never tried it they just tried to fool everyone again to placate the player base they have become real good at that over 10 years.

Or, it was never a good idea in the first place. The split was well documented in the patch notes. Definition of insanity is to try the same thing and expect different results.

#110 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostNightbird, on 05 December 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Or, it was never a good idea in the first place. The split was well documented in the patch notes. Definition of insanity is to try the same thing and expect different results.

It was a great idea to retain new players that PGI Fuckkked up real good .

And you want to know what insanity is being PGI and losing its player base of over a million registered players because your ignorant and arrogant and don't listen to what your player base wants in the game and just think of the millions of dollars lost for development?

Now that what I call insane behavior or maybe a drunken haze or up in smoke attitude. LOL

#111 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:31 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 05 December 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

It was a great idea to retain new players that PGI Fuckkked up real good .

And you want to know what insanity is being PGI and losing its player base of over a million registered players because your ignorant and arrogant and don't listen to what your player base wants in the game and just think of the millions of dollars lost for development?

Now that what I call insane behavior or maybe a drunken haze or up in smoke attitude. LOL

Well, certainly, implementing ideas without going through the normal steps of evaluating pros and cons, costs and benefits, has led us to this point. It's also normal for most of the ideas from the players, the influencers, the streamers to fail in terms of practical ideas that would result in a net positive impact. Still, it's ultimately PGI's responsibility to sift through a mine filled with useless rocks for the gems, it's their job and they've the most to gain from it. Unfortunately we mostly see them withdraw from the forums after a few toxic posts.

Really, just grow a spine. I work on documents that impact multi-100 billion dollar industries. The criticism comes in droves, and we sort through them to find good ones and improve our document with them. For the others, we send a nicely worded reply saying we don't plan to do that. Compared to that, this forum is a kid's park. I mean, it literally is one.

#112 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 04 December 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

IMO mech con this year was about MECH 5.. As long as they start talking about FW here on the boards i am totally cool with that.

The day MWO web site launched i signed up to get my name, and i asked 1 question. Will there be a single player game. the answere was maybe in the future. At that point i was hooked. As long as the start talking about FW and what is happening soon, i will be very happy.

LOl...

that's what a true believer of the Holy PGI Storychurch speaks Posted Image what we got was nothing ... News about MW5? no, except that it may not appear September 2019 (if not good employees go before) nothing to the campaign, nothing to the logistics? no word on story or if there will be more than generic bot shooter missions. The map looked as good as you could see and better as im thinking before, even if the fields did not catch fire, collapsing buildings made no harm and the infantry from the Demolition trailer disappeared.MW5 more like HBS Battletech as FPS ? or more like all other PGI games?or the Modsupport ? why can build own Biome module and Maps with it ? or only rebuild Maps with new collect and Mix of the Biomemodules thats avaible in the Game like Xcom 2 click of Modules and make a set , edit the Temperature and Sky and with thats generated the Tool a new Map? import of own assets and objects ?

otherwise we have not learned anything new .. if PGi had not been on the mech con you could also have the news on a newspaper article

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 05 December 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#113 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostVxheous, on 04 December 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

They're technically not "our dollars". When you pay for a mechpack, you received a mechpack. What PGI wants to do with that money is theirs to do as they please.

You are a logical sane person and i respect you. However having your Lead Developer working on "pods" for MW:5 at mech con instead of delivering some kind of well thought out roadmap for MWO is a TERRIBLE allocation of resources for PGI's financial future. I was in Connecticut but i could hear thousands well with the population so low .. maybe hundreds of wallets slamming closed at the moment Paul shrugged off MWO's future for pods.

#114 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 05 December 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

You are a logical sane person and i respect you. However having your Lead Developer working on "pods" for MW:5 at mech con instead of delivering some kind of well thought out roadmap for MWO is a TERRIBLE allocation of resources for PGI's financial future. I was in Connecticut but i could hear thousands well with the population so low .. maybe hundreds of wallets slamming closed at the moment Paul shrugged off MWO's future for pods.

Oh, I agree that the allocation of their resources could be way better, but it's still their decision. Of course if that decision leads to wallets closing, then PGI might quickly pay more attention. I was told by one of the MWOWC referees that Paul actually had a list of FW improvements that he forgot at the office (no excuses) but from what I've gathered there is a list. Also, Ash might be able to get face to face meeting with Paul prior to leaving for Australia, so that might lead to something.

Edited by Vxheous, 05 December 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#115 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

For faction play it looked like the main reward has been ownership of a planet to get MC for the guild. But unless your in a very organised group you would have no chance.

In regards to the event, I watched all of day one on twitch and the games and some presentations on day 2.

It looked empty, I dont know what the numbers where but it didnt look like many, maybe they could post the numbers to put this one to bed.
The opening speech gave nothing, it looked unprepared with almost no content. As a person who has presented before it lacked energy, it did not go over the last years successes, it didnt talk about any of the highlights of the matches that had led to the finals or the build up (now this could even help revenue for advertising while people re-watch twitch streams), It gave next to no road map for the next year, sub-presenters looked like they had been plucked from the crowd and looked like they had no idea they where going to be part of the presentation. The pod part was cute but led to nothing, no timeline, no once we are done with MW5 we are looking to bring the elements we have learned into MW5.

Overall it it left me thinking , it that it, seriously, you have known this is coming for a year and should have been planning for the last three months but it looks like you got to the last week and said, dam we have our marquee showcase going on next week, ummmm what are we going to do.

#116 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

I'll give it until this month's patch notes for that FP list to show up. Should be enough time to catch up on sleep?

#117 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

Ash has arrived to hopefully chat with Paul:
Posted Image

#118 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostVxheous, on 05 December 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Ash has arrived to hopefully chat with Paul

Good, better him than the people who have been influencing their decisions to date. There is a big difference between listening, and thoughtfully considering a suggestion opposite of what you want to hear.

#119 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,729 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostNightbird, on 04 December 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

Faction flavors, while nice, is high hanging fruit. What needs to be done first is making FP matches more fun for all involved, with all existing and widely spread skill levels.

PGI can make changes to FW but when the fight is primarily IS vs Clan, other considerations need to be taken into account.

Part of that fun is to not continue with the lethality of the isXL engines when 1st ST is lost. It is one of the reasons IS players do not want to drop in this one bucket atmosphere where it is primarily Clan vs IS. Many may be fine with that lethality when it is primarily IS vs IS because the each side has access to the SAME equipment and mechs, where as when it is IS vs Clan that can come into play big time because then there is no engine equivalency between those factions. Each XL engine provides the same weight savings but it is only with the isXL engine that when the 1st ST is destroyed that mech is out. And IS tech overall is HEAVIER and bulkier than Clan tech.

And for those against it, ahh, it is Lore. Again, MWO is NOT utilizing the full engine crit system and this is a FPS, not a dice game where each weapon is rolled for hit/miss then location. And others are against it because it represents a "challenge" to run isXL when going IS instead of Clan. But that does not help the perception with the general population.

Of course, since Chris is not actually in the office, that would mean time/appointments would have to be made/sync up to discuss potential changes. Now the lack of bandwidth make sense now, but it is also sad.

Example of what it would look like.

And for those who say LFE is enough, it is not at times.

Example

LFE 15% movement penalty - 15% engine heat dissipation penalty
cXL 20% movement penalty - 30% engine heat dissipation penalty
isXL 30% movement penalty - 45% engine heat dissipation penalty

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 December 2018 - 05:52 PM.

#120 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 December 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

And for those against it, ahh, it is Lore. Again, MWO is NOT utilizing the full engine crit system and this is a FPS, not a dice game where each weapon is rolled for hit/miss then location. And others are against it because it represents a "challenge" to run isXL when going IS instead of Clan. But that does not help the perception with the general population.

Awright then, let's just make all mechs the same but with different skins, using identical technology and with every weapon doing one point of damage per shot.

Would that make you and the FPS crowd happy?

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users