Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries - Official Release Date Trailer | Mechcon 2018

12 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:15 AM

So, in an attempt to find some news about MW5, I came upon this video..

Is that what was played at MechCon 2018? I'm guessing it is..

I have some comments on this:

1) The first seconds of the video show just the pilot, in what appears to be his quarters.. this is very reminiscent of Star Citizen - very good and positive. I like it.

2) Walking around the mechbay / dropship was something I've suggested years ago.. so I'm glad they are implementing it in a significant way in MW5 - I just hope it's done properly, and that it too has an in-game purpose. NPC interactions on a personal level (up to romance level not just advancing the storyline),player diversion (Starcraft 2 "The lost viking" console comes to mind), but I'm also hoping for to be able to get out of a mech on the field and get into a building to interact with a quest-point NPC.. That would also be nice.. Or maybe get out of my mech and get into a mech found on the field in order to capture it?

3) Mech bay - So I know that's it's been talked about that the game will not allow mech customisation.. I must again stress - Mech customization, to the finest possible detail, is about HALF the gameplay.. half the fun... of playing Battletech as a franchise. You will be committing franchise suicide if you don't make us able to customize just about anything on the mech. That includes all weapon, ammo, engines, systems, cockpit visuals, pilot visuals, paint, cammo, decals, dropship visuals (inside and out), manufacturer info, and even our pilot's quarters.

4) Mech damage - it seems in the video that the damage a mech takes is still.. well.. basic. Is it really gonna be just a different texture? Again, I implore you - look what others are doing.. Take Star CItizen for example. There, each ship's skin consists of multiple layers hard-modeled into every ship model.. you have layers of armor, followed by layers of internals.. so when you shoot up a ship model, you can have parts of the armor dented/burned, then parts punched through to reveal internal structures, wires and such.. and only then does it get blown off.. and it actually uses less memory and hardware resources.. Can we have something similar for MW5? When we shoot the armor, can we have it dent, then break to reveal internal structure, then have the component blown off? It's set to release in 2019. A simple scorch mark texture simply won't do.

5) That Griffin's arms - So I noticed that upon powerup, the Griffin's arms are not pointed in the same direction... The arm that has weapons in it looks pointed upward, while the left arm without weapons seems to slung down.. Does that mean that in-game, an arm without weapons in it will not be pointing the same as the other arm (as they do in MWO), and will be useless for shielding? Or is that arm damaged beyond function, but not blown off, so it's "visually out for the count"? This other option would be nice.. Just before being blown off, that the arm becomes useless and non-functional, both visually and mechanically.. Same for legs.. if a leg is destroyed, have the mech literally drag the leg behind him and limp (not have it keep moving only slower like in MWO).

6) While on the subject of arms and legs.. is MW5 gonna have melee combat?

7) The way that Thunderbolt plows his shoulder through a building - just epic.. well done.

What are your opinions guys?

Edited by Vellron2005, 03 December 2018 - 04:19 AM.

#2 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:32 AM

Looks good, but No Mans Sky did too. I am pretty cautious about those presentations but it sparked a bit of hope. Coop with buddies and procedural generated worlds sounds great but demands a lot of work. Well if it is suppose to be implemented good of course. Thought i would never say that again but PGI you can have my money if you can pull this off.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:41 AM

1. I actually don't like this. I don't see what waffling about in person mode adds, except for maybe the first handful of times you see it and the scale hits you. Once that passes, which it will, it's just an extra minute or so of junk before every mission.

2. Almost everything you said makes me want to vomit.

3. There is some mechlab stuff, from what they're saying, but substantial stuff isn't happening. On the plus side, Steam mods mean you can probably design a mech outside of the game and load it in, but that'll probably be time consuming and annoying.

If there's any serious modders reading this, an idea: MechLab software, like SkunkWorks (BT TB) or MechDB (MWO), that spits out a mod file you can load into MW5. People will love you.

4. Stop using Star Citizen as an example. Even if it were a solid, unassailable example of gaming, the circumstances of its game development and MW5's are so dissimilar it's pointless. I'm also highly skeptical that dynamic damage panels use less memory that bullet decals. Highly skeptical.

5. Several mechs were shown with this animation, so it appears that, at least in the current build, yes, arms with no weapons just hang down. Which looks really weird for the most part.

6. No, and we're probably better off for it.

7. I'm kind of disappointed at how easily everything blows through buildings. I hope they add some level of resistance/impact.

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:44 AM

View PostKotzi, on 03 December 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

Looks good, but No Mans Sky did too. I am pretty cautious about those presentations but it sparked a bit of hope. Coop with buddies and procedural generated worlds sounds great but demands a lot of work. Well if it is suppose to be implemented good of course. Thought i would never say that again but PGI you can have my money if you can pull this off.

Yes, it does look good.. and those procedural generated worlds are a MAJOR selling point for me..

I just hope they don't over price it.. I paid 75$ for a Star Citizen preorder, and that game is light years beyond anything MW5 is ever gonna be.. So I think they shouldn't go above 40$ for a full release..

#5 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:53 AM

View PostBombast, on 03 December 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

2. Almost everything you said makes me want to vomit.

Guess you're not a fan of RPG games? Or Lore? Or human interaction?

I get it.. it's not everyone's cup of tea.. They should probably do an "instant action mode" for people like that.. but if they do put in a heavy roleplay element, the game will be all the better for it, and will 100% guaranteed draw in more players.

4. Stop using Star Citizen as an example. Even if it were a solid, unassailable example of gaming, the circumstances of its game development and MW5's are so dissimilar it's pointless. I'm also highly skeptical that dynamic damage panels use less memory that bullet decals. Highly skeptical.

if you don't compare yourself to the best, you will always be mediocre. Yes, I know SC has a lot more dev resources. But keep in mind that most of those dev resources go into developing concepts - not actual products. In essence it takes more to imagine a new type of shoe than to make that shoe. And PGI is not above taking concepts from other games and applying it to theirs.. Nor should they be. That's how trends are followed and games are standardized. if that didn't happen, there would be no games with coop, multiplayer, or PVP online games like MWO for that matter.

#6 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:54 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 03 December 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

Yes, it does look good.. and those procedural generated worlds are a MAJOR selling point for me..

I just hope they don't over price it.. I paid 75$ for a Star Citizen preorder, and that game is light years beyond anything MW5 is ever gonna be.. So I think they shouldn't go above 40$ for a full release..

Lets be honest, if its a good game with most of the features included i will pay quite a bunch and more for Addons. Because its Mechwarrior. But i wont be shelling out anything when its like half baked with huge Day 1 patch and features missing. And i wont be pre ordering or anything because i dont have enough faith in PGI. Regarding Star Citizen, i backed too. It is an ambitious project that might not get all the features they are aiming for and it might never be released, but i am willing to risk my money beeing lost because if nobody pays it can never be done.

#7 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:05 AM

I’d be careful to compare anything to Star Citizen, game has had so much money and time poured into it with little result. That game is so overhyped and lacking direction unlike the recent Battletech game released that was also crowd funded. Not to mention the ridiculous bugs and glitches that break the current state of the game.

While I’d like the idea of a single player campaign for mechwarrior, I don’t wholly relish the idea due to the seeming lack of replay ability if you can’t customize mechs or have MP.

#8 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:32 AM

7. I'm kind of disappointed at how easily everything blows through buildings. I hope they add some level of resistance/impact.

I don't know about resistance, but the damage to the buildings depends on the height of the building in relation to the height of the mech. I read that in some article somewhere.

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:48 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 03 December 2018 - 04:53 AM, said:

Guess you're not a fan of RPG games? Or Lore? Or human interaction?

I love that stuff. It just doesn't need to be crammed into every game. I don't want to be romancing people in Mechwarrior 5, I want to be running a Mercenary company and making money.

The 'story' for MW5:Mercs is already less desirable than MW2:Mercs, the most comparable game, just because of the starting point in this regard. "Rebuild our legacy" in a Mercenary game? Ick. "Look at the bright side kid, now you get to keep all the money." Hell yes.

I'll retract that second complaint if I can call my parents stupid losers and disregard whatever horse crap they wanted me to do in the first 15 minutes of the game.

View PostVellron2005, on 03 December 2018 - 04:53 AM, said:

if you don't compare yourself to the best, you will always be mediocre.

Go over an complain to the Owlboy devs and complain about how the character models don't have realistic damage and the romancing options are sub par.

The development circumstances and gameplay goals for all these games is completely dissimilar, and Star Citizen isn't out yet. How about we don't ask PGI, a developer that consistently underperforms and already seems to be lagging behind in its time cycle, to emulate the game that's the poster child for feature creep, delayed releases, and has a monitization model thats complete crap and which could, worryingly, slot quite well onto MW5 without much effort.

View PostElizander, on 03 December 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

I don't know about resistance, but the damage to the buildings depends on the height of the building in relation to the height of the mech. I read that in some article somewhere.

In the gameplay, it looked like you didn't even slow down when hitting a building, it just disintegrated. Doesn't look great and I doubt it feels great either.

It's probably one of the easier and more trivial things to rectify though. I'm not too worried about it, just saying if it did ship like that it would be disappointing.

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

View PostElizander, on 03 December 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

Well it would be only logical that if you walk through a bloody building, it's gonna provide some resistance and your mech should get dented.. but not too dented..

It would be nice if the terrain itself would be destructible, so you can make defensive craters for instance..

But I have to say.. MW5 does look interesting to me.. and I hope they do well..

View PostBombast, on 03 December 2018 - 05:48 AM, said:

I love that stuff. It just doesn't need to be crammed into every game. I don't want to be romancing people in Mechwarrior 5, I want to be running a Mercenary company and making money.

The 'story' for MW5:Mercs is already less desirable than MW2:Mercs, the most comparable game, just because of the starting point in this regard. "Rebuild our legacy" in a Mercenary game? Ick. "Look at the bright side kid, now you get to keep all the money." Hell yes.

Seeing as Battletech is a game that was heavy on roleplay + the mech combat side of things, I think MW5 is a perfect platform for heavy duty roleplay.. Plus in a setting as rich as BT, not having a signifitant roleplay element would truly be a waste.

Sure, not every game should have a RPG element.. hell, I don't want' one in Packman.. but in MW5, definitely yes.. And as far a story goes.. they can take it anywhere they want to.. it can be epic for so many reasons, exactly because of where it sits in the timeline and because of it's mercenary nature..

Some of the greatest BT novels come from such stories.. I would not mind playing one.. or a dozen.

Technically, since there are so many factions to choose from, and so many starting points, the game is perfect for some heavy role play..

Edited by Vellron2005, 03 December 2018 - 05:57 AM.

#11 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:55 AM

19th septemebr 2019 is the release date...its quite far.

lets hope they improve the game and add a lot of stuff for immersion and mission types.

#12 UMPA Viper

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

So Who is going to enjoy playing single player campaigns with your buddies against AI opponents ? I dont get it. You do realize how repetitive and boring this will become correct ? Instead of this master failure , they should have attempted to release a MWO2 with the graphics engine of MW 5 Mercs. Along with fixing a ton of stuff thats wrong with the current MWO. Single player co-op , no thanks. Make it PVP or dont waste your time.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

We already have PVP. Know how great it is?

Its ****.
They cry when something is nerfed, they cry when it is buffed, they cry if it follows the source material, they cry if it strays from the source material, they cry when the game drops the sim elements... they cry when it finally picks up the sim element it needed most (heat sinks that ******* matter when destroyed), they cry when their missiles suck, they cry when the missiles are too good, they cry about the AMS being worthless, they cry about having to carry it, they cry about mechs that are all the same but cry when something is done to make them different and then cry because "we could do that already nothing stands out."

They stand around spending all day comparing how great their stats are and spend their time tricking people into running **** so that they can bolster their stats...

So they can take that PVP and corkscrew it; you already got it here.
Besides, when those of us sick of it finally want a good PVP, we can mod it in without all the salt from those that are just never ******* happy until they grind every ounce of character out of an IP until its another generic shoot-em-up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users