105 replies to this topic

#21 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

I know exactly how the OP's feeling. Just a while ago, while playing a few QP matches to complete the events, I had 4 games where my team were rolled 12-3 three times. Those 3 times were due to the Assaults in my team who had LRMs and worse, they wouldn't even venture forward enough to be called a 5th line, despite there being only 3 squads. Two of those games were on the River City map (you know, the one with an island far away from the action?) I got my share of kills and damage done in those losses but if they hadn't just sat back doing nothing but cost the government a fair chunk of the tax payer's money to repaint the buildings, then at least they would've got their match score and damage done into triple digits. I mean, how is it possible for LRMs to not do enough damage to hit 100 dmg at least?

Another match had one eejit saying that he's an LRM 60 or something. Then complained that he didn't get any locks. I mean seriously now!

Come to think of it, can we make it so that these pillocks who bring an unnecessary number of missiles, to have to find their own locks? "Unnecessary" 'cause they almost never run of out ammo as they can't shoot without their precious locks and also 'cause they die within 20 seconds of being engaged as they don't have anything to fight back with.

#22 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

Another LRM thread, go figure...

Anyways, i on rare occasions bring out LRM mechs, often ones that have NOTHING but LRMs on them too since no other weapon syncs well with LRMs and you are better off with more ammo and tubes then some backup weapon that cant even save you from a cored mech. That said, I actually play with the team and am usually 300-400m away from enemys, not 1km in the back slinging at something another guy spotted, i get my own locks, and at those short ranged LRMs are actually beneficial since it doesnt give the target time to seek cover when they get hit in like 2 seconds or so after the missiles leave the mech.

As for LRM 100t assaults, i never understood why anyone would do that when LRMs are truly best on heavys that can bring 60-80 tubes, enough ammo to last 90% of games, and arent hampered by bad mobility, allowing them to relocate to spots where the missiles can actually hit something rather then being 100% dependent on teammates and enemies to play in such a way their super slow LRM boating 100t mech can do damage in. My best (and only truly decent) LRM mech in the sunspider, 80 tubes, alfa strikes get through anything short of 2 cutefoxes, and it still goes 80 with a workable agility profile. I always laugh at supernovas or fatanos or other dumb assault mechs that carry LRM-80s since i can do the exact same thing at 70t, without backup weapons sure, but in LRM mech case, if something gets within 100m of you you are dead regardless of what backups you bring (unless they are multiple ballistics but then you arent really a LRM mech either when you have 30-40 tubes).

#23 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

Most of the people who call for pushes when the match is 12 on 12 need to learn how mid range trade works.

#24 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

I feel your pain.
I hate when I'm doing my best to engage squarely and blind teammates or fearful teammates want to nascar or do the "Accepted" route on map.
Conversely. When I see this and go on my own they will decry the same thing.
I won't armor share with a team doing bone head maneuvers.
End of story.
So really its a coms and coordination issue.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:35 AM

View PostElizander, on 08 December 2018 - 02:50 AM, said:

Rather than a penalty, I would prefer if they change the achievements for surviving a match at low health be turned into something that rewards you every 3-10 times you complete it.

This.
Posted Image
I got them the day it came out.
Posted Image

(Giant Helping I was working toward for a while, I mean the other three related to a reward for being nearly dead at the end of the match.)

Edited by Koniving, 08 December 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

was in a squirrel the other day, trying to get some other squirrels off the back of one of our assaults. i was just trying to buy him time to return to the team. but when i realized i was over my head and noticed the assault turning to fight it was time to get out of there. why waste a perfectly good squirrel trying to save a 100 ton sack of taters.

he said 'stupid team' and ragequit. well he was grossly out of position and his team did try to save him (me running interference and even some lerms from another player), so...

anyway i rejoined the team and i do believe we won the match.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 December 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#27 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

I sure hope you don't want my heavy gauss firestarter penalized too.

#28 Erik Krieger

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostWildeKarde, on 08 December 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

The issue is mechs need to be played to their strengths.

Having a 4 lrm15 supernova for example in the front line isn't going to last long against the enemy team. Even changing to another missile systems is going to limit it's options due to it's speed. It is more effective supporting with lrms, and by that I don't mean 900m away behind the team, but couple of hundred meters behind team.

But this shouldn't be all about lrm mechs sitting back. Are they any worse than an assault with 6 er large sitting 1km away and not fighting? They shoot over maximum range and don't have the same risks to getting hit.

How about your sniping ac2 mechs? or gauss snipers (maybe even stealth builds)?

I also got sniper and lrm builds which I don't position into the first line when the match starts. But when i see that the going gets tough and my team is in need of help I undermine my ideal distance so i can absorb some attention and damage. And nevertheless I am still able to fire my lrms and long distance weapons at 200 Meters...

Edited by NobleSavage, 08 December 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#29 AzureTerra

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

Sure its nice when the Assault takes the hits and its a sad waste of a mech when that same class sits at the back and spams nothing missiles but penalizing people for not playing how you want them to play is not the way since there is no actually directive that says you must share your armour because you have a lot of it. What you need is a incentive for people to get in and take that damage for the team. Many people will respond better to the carrot instead of a whip.

#30 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:14 PM

I like the idea that "damage taken" should be an additional stat that would also produce some rewards.

So the guy limping to the finish line with his mech at 19% will get a little extra out of it when compared to the person ending the game at 100% without a scratch in the paint. I just wonder how you would handle the system, because I am willing to bet that there will be players suiciding to max their damage taken profits... The YOLO player may end up feeling it is a valid playstyle, considering the rewards... ;)

#31 Bannok

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

They already get punished, they lose. We all get saddled with these players. Dem the breaks.

#32 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:38 PM

Honestly, I think the phrase "armor sharing" is one of the most stupid I have ever heard.
This is one of the major reasons why I have VoIP disabled.

Learn to not die and learn to have fun again :-))

#33 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:02 AM

View PostGrus, on 08 December 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

As someone who is not fond of lurm boats, id suggest a Scorch with 2 lbx20 and 4lrm15. That way youre atlest able to defend yourself against lights and help clean up open core mechs mid to late game.

Hmm that sounded like a joke but I think that's worth trying, though I think I will take 4xLRM10 instead, and little more heatsinks, as those LRMs 15s run too hot.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...75675f095b74c16
LRM SCORCH

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 09 December 2018 - 04:02 AM.

#34 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:11 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 09 December 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

Hmm that sounded like a joke but I think that's worth trying, though I think I will take 4xLRM10 instead, and little more heatsinks, as those LRMs 15s run too hot.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...75675f095b74c16
LRM SCORCH

No joke, they can run a bit hot if yoy alpha them but chain the lrm15s quickly to mitigate that. Just have to excersize some trigger controle. Can confirm 1k damage and 6 kill matchs.

#35 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:15 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 December 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

was in a squirrel the other day, trying to get some other squirrels off the back of one of our assaults. i was just trying to buy him time to return to the team. but when i realized i was over my head and noticed the assault turning to fight it was time to get out of there. why waste a perfectly good squirrel trying to save a 100 ton sack of taters.

he said 'stupid team' and ragequit. well he was grossly out of position and his team did try to save him (me running interference and even some lerms from another player), so...

anyway i rejoined the team and i do believe we won the match.

Being out of position can be a boon for my scorch. Draws a overconfident lightmech to me, then i intoduce them to dual lbx20's...

*litterly happened"

"We got a pir heading to our assalt over there! Grus watch out... we need to fall back to help him befor he gets killed.."

Grus has killed (random pir player)

He was gonna do to me?

"Damn.. well never mind haha"

:)

#36 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:25 AM

View Postcyclist1994, on 08 December 2018 - 11:38 PM, said:

Honestly, I think the phrase "armor sharing" is one of the most stupid I have ever heard.
This is one of the major reasons why I have VoIP disabled.

Learn to not die and learn to have fun again :-))

Well, it is a team game after all. The tunnel pushes is where the armour sharing works best, provided you and your teammates don't block each other.

I remember a match yesterday where I was piloting the Bounty Hunter and had an Orion with me. The two of us killed a Fafnir, Catapult and a Rifleman. The Orion pilot pushed ahead and we focused our fire on the Fafnir. I was fairly undamaged compared to him. It took a mere few seconds as our combined volleys destroyed the Fafnir's CT. Then, in the side exit where the Catapult and Rifleman were, I put some pressure on both of them while he got some good popshots. I killed the Catapult and he got the killing blows on the Fafnir and Rifleman. Unfortunately, our good ol' LRM friends in the Assault mechs were camped on the island far away and our team got flanked from the outside and we lost 12-5. I bet their missiles cost the building owners a lot of C-bills to repaint them buildings.

#37 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

View PostNobleSavage, on 08 December 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

I don't know how to do it, but PGI please punish the playstyle of "not armor sharing".

I am so sick and tired of fighting and dying in the frontdirt while two 100 tons assaults (mostly with Lrms) are sitting 'till the end of the match behind cover and having full or nearly full armor. Like it just happend again in my last match...

This is not a rant against a weapon system. It's a rant against certain Pilots using them in a cowardly and uncomradely way.

IMO this kind of behavior should be clearly punished. But I admit that I don't have an idea how...

Regards

So losing the match isn't enough of a penalty?

I mean if the team doesn't lose the match it's difficult to quantify if the "non armor sharing" had an impact at all.

And then there is the issue of how much contribution was actually effected by the "non armor sharing" parties.

Was it easier to take down those targets on the front because they had peviously been hammered by long range fire.

there are other considerations as well....

What incentive is there to rush up to the front and share armor if your primary weapon system has a rather large min. range?

Why risk being under run and made nearly ineffective if the only incentive is apparently to be present to get shot at while "sharing armor"?

Also,if you happen to get a randomly asigned team that has two 100 ton mechs dedicated to LRMs then maybe,just throwing this out there for consideration,maybe just maybe your team strategy should incorperate techniques to maximize those assault mech's potential by deploying UAVs,holding locks, with drawing or engaging on favorable terrain etc.

otherwise you have essentially left 200 tons behind,like a sort of NASCAR move of the the strategic world.

#38 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

Well, Noble maybe you should just play with your own 12 man unit so you don't have to deal with that being in quick play with random people. I know how you feel but if you want to control someone's gameplay then you should purchase their computer and internet then you would have a say on how you think they should be playing the game.

I don't like that either but I find ways around a person hanging in the background just lobbing LRMS on an atlas like hold locks for them so they can fire them LRMS and get some kills while the rest of us push. I don't do that but I know if I want to win a game I have to take the weak with the good as far as players and use them to my advantage to win the match.

I don't think I would ever tell someone on how they should play unless I purchase the computer they are using and their internet and a very uptight person that can't find the fun in games even when you lose a match. Nothing bad but the way you worded your post was pretty bad and I know you get pissed at this but it's not only your game but others as well.

I play Stock mode sometimes for a challenge and let's face it it's not the best mech in the whole wide world with about 20 armor in the back but I like playing that mode to see how I can get this mech running in a match. I do good and bad but should I be punished for using a subpar mech because you think EVERYTHING should be Meta cheese builds? Or don't like LRM's?

The answer is no in case you're wondering what to say in response to that. People play what they want to play because they like playing them for fun or what not. Whats better to let that person die in the back because you refuse to hold locks sometimes or help that person get more hits on the team using teamwork instead of just ignoring him because you hate his build?

It's a Teamwork game and that's that. Yes, people will have subpar builds but use that to your advantage instead of a curse. Be a Team player

#39 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:45 PM

I also think that some sort of dynamic cbill reward boost based on something like time exposed to enemy fire would be great. Since many good pilots use terrain as armor even while up front, it might make sense to tune the reward to the amount or duration of enemy fire that the pilot attracts, rather than a simple reward for taking damage. Near-misses are often not hits due to pilot skill, not because they are hiding.

#40 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:15 PM

Punish people for playing QP. Oh right, you already are punished for that my bad my bad...hahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users