#221 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 January 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

leech locks that are equally powerful to LOS locks encourage parasitic play. People who engage in parasitic play are bad teammates

O
M
G
Do we agree on something?
Maybe we can be on speaking terms again?

Edited by HammerMaster, 11 January 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#222 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Bro, I'm like one of the most approachable people in game that isn't a streamer.

I think you must read all my posts in the clan commander voice.

I don't think I can actually bring myself to hate anyone on the internet that like isn't an actual {Godwin's Law} or a self described "incel."

#223 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 January 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Bro, I'm like one of the most approachable people in game that isn't a streamer.

I think you must read all my posts in the clan commander voice.

I don't think I can actually bring myself to hate anyone on the internet that like isn't an actual {Godwin's Law} or a self described "incel."

Well those two groups are terrible people.
Well three because that clan commander. Well you know.
But as you know tone doesn't always come across.

Edited by HammerMaster, 11 January 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#224 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 January 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

Veering off course here a little;

The point isn't really all that related to what you, myself, or anyone else finds fun. It isn't about who is good or bad.

The point is that leech locks that are equally powerful to LOS locks encourage parasitic play. People who engage in parasitic play are bad teammates no matter how they choose to defend it or how effective they think it is.

This. Also being Lurmed to death is no fun and feels cheap and irrritating. Lurming others to death is the least satisfying gameplay I've ever experienced in a shooter and I just don't get the appeal.

When you get shot in the face by lasers, hammered in the back by a opportunistic light, and find a big ballistic holding a corner you went around you think: Nice twist, good aim, thats some smart positioning, good piloting, oh that guy is a threat.

When the 80 missiles of doom rain down on you from some far off place you think: ******* in a supernova.

#225 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Conversely... mercilessly farming isolated lrm boats one component at a time with light mechs is some of the best fun you can have.

Like when you find a standard engine superlurmova so far isolated you know you can just pull his wings off and watch him squirm.

lol, one time I found an armorless Catapult in a far off place on Polar and I was piloting a PIR. I just paint brushed him a little and he exploded all over. Glorious.

#226 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:38 PM

View PostTrevor Devalis, on 11 January 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Wow, you don't understand the bigger picture of it all, do you? Work within your role and support your team. Not that hard to put 2 and 2 together. If you have a slow brawler, they should be in front or middle. The nascar, if that happens, needs to pace it with them. The harrasser can break off and save the LRM boat from being chewed up, the poker nabs some shots while supporting the aforementioned brawler moving his way up. See, simple. It's like some of you read what you want to just to start a fight. I'd enjoy it more, I love a good fight, but I just dont have it in me today.

yeah and once again i have to point out that that goes both ways.

a few faster mechs should move back if their slower brethen get gnawed on by lights. BUT lurm boats should ALSO move up if the front needs help.

once lurmers refuse to do that, the "i scratch your back and you scratch mine" teamwork falls apart. and if they refuse to move up when they need to, then they shouldn't complain when front line mechs or fast movers refuse to move back to help.

i'm not trying to start a fight. i'm agreeing with some of your points lol. i think you misread my intentions.

#227 Trevor Devalis

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 11 January 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

yeah and once again i have to point out that that goes both ways.

a few faster mechs should move back if their slower brethen get gnawed on by lights. BUT lurm boats should ALSO move up if the front needs help.

once lurmers refuse to do that, the "i scratch your back and you scratch mine" teamwork falls apart. and if they refuse to move up when they need to, then they shouldn't complain when front line mechs or fast movers refuse to move back to help.

i'm not trying to start a fight. i'm agreeing with some of your points lol. i think you misread my intentions.

I get that, and no worries. Honestly, I have no idea what happens sometimes. I see one thing, read another, and think something else. Someone should seriously have the keys to my account and take them away when I am not up to playing. Because when I'm not up to playing, I'm not up to comprehending. And then someone saying hi is like fighting words. Unfortunately, when I start getting this way, I do not even realize it.

So to everyone I attacked and insulted, I do apologize. That isn't the side of me that likes to play and work with others in game. That is just the part of me that gets out more than I like, especially when then pain tops the scale. It's part of the reason I try to wade through the forums. It helps me separate out that anger and let it go. Nothing on here is personal. Again, when I start to become off, I don't realize that and even saying hi is personal and aggravating. Not much i can do except they to put down the phone if I realize what I'm doing. And that is still a big if.

Not that I really should be explaining myself like this on a public forum, but maybe it will help settle a few ruffled feathers. And maybe it will open up some eyes as well.

#228 The Macho Man

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:03 AM

Lrms are fine. Sometimes they hide way in the back in a place with no cover and their team narcs and uav's for them.Posted Image

It's balanced. Literally any mech is capable of these numbers given enough hours... err missile slots.

Edited by The Macho Man, 12 January 2019 - 12:06 AM.

#229 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:28 AM

View PostThe Macho Man, on 12 January 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

Lrms are fine. Sometimes they hide way in the back in a place with no cover and their team narcs and uav's for them.

Spoiler

It's balanced. Literally any mech is capable of these numbers given enough hours... err missile slots.

Of course it's Polar Highlands.

Having the capability does not mean they have equal capacity. I mean consider that it took a Polar-Highland with NARCs and UAVs to do that. What about another map, say Solaris City?

And look at the rest of the score, most of the assaults aside from the stalker didn't even broke 250 damage. Is really a one-sided match really supposed to be balanced, or something to be proud of? Also having 545 damage average per kill?

Also, that's besides the point. LRMs being a poor weapon is just a sentiment (that is backed up by experience and result), the real topic is about LRM Shaming first. If anything, you showing a one-sided match with the LRM boat flourishing compared to the rest of the team is an example of the parasitic playstyle we detest and shame in the first place.

That being said, it does look more like more of the losing teams fault for not aggressively pushing at the enemy team. LRMs only ever rack up that amount of damage when you let them by being rather passive.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 12 January 2019 - 04:31 AM.

#230 The Macho Man

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:59 AM

I think you may have missed the point of my post in your effort to educate me, but I'll return it.

Just because you dont get the killing blow doesnt mean you didnt neuter, disarm or maim the enemy. Just because the LRM boat didnt die doesnt mean people didnt try to get to him or he wasnt defended and at range. People shot down uav's when they could. People tried to flank. It wasnt a total noobfest but there were definitely players on both sides that may have had trouble shooting uavs immediately but that isnt the point.

This stalker was piloted by a 60% overall player with around 400 games played and relied totally on his team getting him locks to wreck our team. He posted the highest damage Ive seen in qp, A full 600 damage more than I have done in my anh and I had to tank the hell out of mechs for that damage.

This is why people LRM shame. He literally just tabbed around landing missiles and riding the backs of his team but make no mistake he was the most effective member of his team with little effort on his part(not that games require effort).

This is also why people go on and on about how great LRM's are. They go from barely being able to hit stuff to wrecking the other team.

Btw I was in the marauder on the losing team so it wasnt a brag post by any means. It was a see how utterly screwed up LRM boats can be and how irritating they can be while overperforming for minimal effort. I mean how many screenshots of 2k damage games in solo queue do you see.

Edited by The Macho Man, 12 January 2019 - 05:16 AM.

#231 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:02 AM

View PostThe Macho Man, on 12 January 2019 - 04:59 AM, said:

I think you may have missed the point of my post in your effort to educate me.

Oh, sorry, okay.

What's the point?

#232 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:29 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 10 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Is LRM Shaming still alive and well ??

I hadn't played in a while so i jumped into a FAFNIR with 4x lrm20's for the lolz. Polar Highlands was selected. I let my team know what i had, and some goon shouts out ... your the one to blame for this map and then shoots me. It actually ended up being a pretty fun match came down to last 3 mechs... but whats the deal ?

Because that map is horrible if reds have many lrms. If you get targeted your game isn't going to be enjoyable. Typically heavy lrm users will pick that map because of the lack of viable cover. Lrms may not be the best weapon, but lord can they cause fun to plummet to zero-if you happen to be the poor soul targeted.
I'm assuming that the poor soul who shot you has had enough of being forced to camp behind objects to avoid the fun spoling barrages. I'm not defending his actions but can certainly understand them.
Do you think anyone you spammed that match had "fun?"

#233 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:34 AM

View PostTrevor Devalis, on 11 January 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

Someone else just looking for a fight. Blah.

If you actually read my posts to what was being said, he was trying to take my statement and turn it around into something it wasn't. He was refusing to listen to what was being said and instead turned it into a "you meant this."
If a player plays a brawler or front line fighter, they should be up front, and also holding locks for themselves and others. If they don't want that role, do not take a front line fighter. Also, do not read this to mean they have to be in the open all the time. Please use some common sense. Very simple to understand but somehow it was twisted into blaming others for their own deaths. No, I was stating that teamwork is required, people cannot coordinate builds in quick play and you need to stick to the role you pick. If you want to hide behind LRMs in a short ranged heavy or assault, you should be picking an LRM or sniper build. If a player gets left behind, that is not on them to get a faster mech, as he was trying to tell me. No, it means you need to call out to your team to wait. Nothing wrong with being a slow assault, as long as you don't attempt to play it like a fast mech. If you don't like the harassing or scout role of a light, don't play a light. Pick the role you want to play and play it. So as I have tried to say, if you bring that front line mech into play, you better be upfront taking the hits and not complaining about the others. You basically volunteered to do that. Do not twist it around and say oh, but you brought a slow mech, you volunteered to die alone.

And do not try to tell me I'm a bad player. I'm not. Am I great? No. But not being great does not equal bad. I still see the game and understand it. That sort of toxicity and obnoxiousness really should have been grown out of by now.

I'd disagree with the faster mech comment. If you run a build that's so slow you can't keep up., if the whole team slows down to your speed you are causing all the people who have built sensibly to lose the positional edge.
Position and aggression is king. If you can't get in position at the right time you are a liability.
41kph is a liability.

#234 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 January 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

Oh, sorry, okay.

What's the point?

There isn't any.

#235 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 12 January 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

Oh, sorry, okay.

What's the point?

I think his point is that a bad player can rack up insane damage with lurms because the team's support, the map selection and errors made by the enemy team can more easily compensate for a lack of skill by the lurm player; which, as far as I understand it, is a bad thing to The Macho Man (are you Randy Savage, btw?). Which I'd agree with.

Further, I think an additional point he wanted to make is thus: The guy in the Stalker, who's apparently a 60% player, will see the 2k+ damage match, the 1k+ match score and think that LRMs are awesome. And he'll think that he's awesome. Because the stat screen doesn't show that he was carried by the LRM mechanics, by his team and by the map.

#236 The Macho Man

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

View PostLuminis, on 12 January 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

I think his point is that a bad player can rack up insane damage with lurms because the team's support, the map selection and errors made by the enemy team can more easily compensate for a lack of skill by the lurm player; which, as far as I understand it, is a bad thing to The Macho Man (are you Randy Savage, btw?). Which I'd agree with.

Further, I think an additional point he wanted to make is thus: The guy in the Stalker, who's apparently a 60% player, will see the 2k+ damage match, the 1k+ match score and think that LRMs are awesome. And he'll think that he's awesome. Because the stat screen doesn't show that he was carried by the LRM mechanics, by his team and by the map.

Pretty much yeah. To be fair to the 6th I was trying to post and experienced technical difficulties so I had to edit it after the fact. The problem is compounded by every other guy in that match or others like it see that performance and roll a lurm boat just praying for polar. Before you know it we have 4 lurm assaults on each side of the match and everybody is voting Polar. Half the team loves it and the other half of the team despises it and shoots their team mate at the start of the match for throwing lurms on a fafnir (Ifind it funny btw, every drop doesnt have to be a tryhard build)

Its like a t3 crap cycle thing. Then they go against good players and get owned, discouraged and quit the game. Or they get lurmed to death in polar a few matches in a row, get frustrated and quit the game.

Also, my keyboard is freaking out again so I wont bother to finish the thought as fixing these mistakes is annoying the crap out of me.

Edited by The Macho Man, 12 January 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#237 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

There was a point, though, and Luminis nailed it.

#238 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 12 January 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

There was a point, though, and Luminis nailed it.

Posted Image

Honestly, I actually didn't get that.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 12 January 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#239 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostTrevor Devalis, on 11 January 2019 - 12:36 PM, said:

Just do what most do, enjoy the game.

In the end, the above is the only thing that matters.

#240 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

as someone who plays LRM a lot I would say that yes Polar Highlands is an LRM playground buts its my most picked map. I will actually go for Terra Therma or Caustic if the former didn't always devolve into a Nascar. yes I try to avoid Solaris since it is the hardest map to do anything on with LRM.

each map lends itself to different build types I have on occasion gotten fantastic numbers in my Catapult on Terra Therma or seen others do it as well (not trying to boast just don't often look at other people's dmg numbers or match scores.)

its also just as irritating to have that meta laser vomit mech core you out in one shot as it is to be Lurmed to death. or get one shotted by dual Heavy Gauss.

when it comes to a fun match getting a good mix of builds is the key (something that doesn't always happen in QP). even I kind of groan a bit when I see an entire lance worth of LRM mechs (doesn't matter if i'm one of them or not). its just easier to spot an LRM mech because of all the missile tubes (though MRMs can give the same appearance at times). ever been on Frozen City when 90% of you team is brawler builds with nothing longer than a 300 or so range and just wants to sit on the other side of the valley while sniper and LRM picks them off.

just seems like LRM takes the most crap when there are bad players in every build type.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users