• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:52 AM

good timeline from the Begin of MWO to end 2014

https://www.tiki-tok...-06-21_14:24:44!

2014/15 was the Time of the big problems for PGI ...cut to IGP ...Transverse Disaster with a Banwave for PGI by Reddit as Community Manager Nikolai Lubkiewicz braeks the Rules from Reddit and many Staff Devs and experience Folks leaves the PGI Team in this short period.2014/15..
Animator Ben Driedge build up his own Company ICON
Karl Berg leaves PGi ...long her doing his best for Transparency to the Community and search the full contact to the Fans...
Matthew Craig leaves PGI..the most experienced Guy for the Cryengine...
Senior Animator Enrique Barahona Ramos and Texture Artist Gabriel Kessler going to relic

all this and more let Holes back in the Company thats never filled in all aspects ...thats all the Important Factor thats im wait the first reviews of MW5 before im thinking to buy a new PGI product

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 17 December 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#62 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

Let me put it like this. I support MW5 whole heartedly if PGI avoids most if all of the insane, mindboggling, greed ridden shitstorming faults and bheaviour thats around in the media regarding once beloved developers and franchises. Oooooh, like I dont know... Blizzard, Bethesda, Bungie, EA, UBI, Activision etc. These "cesspools" needs to be forcibly regulated like all hell, no more gambling or microtrans of any kind!
Can say alot about M$ but they are ten fold better than those pigs. I must get my head into a grinder before buying anything from them again!

And I need my Mech Warrior fix, cause MWO is barely cutting it.

Edited by Tordin, 17 December 2018 - 01:30 PM.

#63 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

Eh. I'll get it. And I'll be sure to post an honest review. Because you know there will be a couple dozen bittervets with the manchild mentality of paying full price just so they can give it a bad review. I know the combat will probably be fine. There's no reason to mess with that. But story elements, immersion, unit management features. Those are what will set it apart. That and if the AI doesn't wet the bed.

I also hope they learned their lesson from Cryengine. Don't chase super graphics. Graphics do NOT make a good game.

Edited by MechaBattler, 17 December 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#64 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

Ill wait untill it goes on sale for 50% off a month after release because of all the bugs/lack of content/dissatisfaction/no mech lab customisation reviews.

#65 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

View PostWilhelm Kerensky, on 15 December 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

I'll admit that I'm pretty burned out on MWO at this point - nothing new or innovative, and now their patch can't even fix the friend's list debacle... Let's just say that, regarding PGI's performance up to now on MWO, my outlook for the quality of MW5 is pretty grim.

I might buy MW5 IF it has a nice, long, at least semi-interesting story, and if it has a nice assortment of IS mechs - whether able to be bought outright, or captured later on. The mechs having the current PGI-created "IS Omnipod" customizable setup would be welcome, as in the old Battletech rules with IS: What you get is all you got - weaponry installed was permanent. Also, SALVAGE! If I can't salvage mech parts, chassis, weapons, etc for new additions I could not otherwise afford (and spent a hell of a lot of effort into bringing the containing mechs down) to eventually piecemeal together entire mechs from salvaged chassis and components, there won't be much reason to merc... Being able to Frankenstein mech parts and chassis pieces together would be an interesting idea, too!

As far as willingness to buy MW5? PGI offering players a discount or bonuses based on their investments into MWO (where the dev money for MW5 is coming) might also entice me to consider purchasing it... Otherwise, I will wait until a really deep Steam or 3rd-party website (like Humble Bundle or Fanatical) sale to pick the game up. I have yet to pick up Battletech, and have no intentions until it reaches at least the sub-$20 mark, if ever - too limited a time of gameplay in the actual story (AROUND 20 hours at most? Nope).

In the meantime, I have various console mech games to tide me over, most notably the Armored Core series, plus my old MW2 games using an interpreter program, along with "Iron Brigade" / "Trenched" on PC & X360, MAV (a Chromehounds clone) on PC, and the Front Mission games on emulator.

Why should we get a discount because of previous money spent? I've spent a lot on MWO and I was happy to do it and I got what I paid for. So if you have received the item you bought why should you then feel entitled to a discount on the next item you would like to buy? And yeah I'll buy it but I'll be waiting for it to be released won't be pre ordering.

Edited by Geewiz 27, 17 December 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#66 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostGeewiz 27, on 17 December 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

I've spent a lot on MWO and I was happy to do it and I got what I paid for.

Really?

I thought I was buying the game that PGI showed in its presentations... especially a community warfare endgame featuring careers and logistics etc.

Instead I was delivered an arena shooter ... with an endgame that is arena shooting with 4 respawns.

So I certainly don't think I got what I paid (a four figure sum) for.

Edited by Appogee, 17 December 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#67 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

In all the years thats pgi talk from mw5 ,today im nothing seeing to campaign ....story...logistic....only graphic demos and low level gameplay trailer ...to begin from mwo we seeing more and become very less to nothing from all.

Its to many poker...leaves one or two important talented UE4 guys the company im thinking mw5 crashed to ground .

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 17 December 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#68 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:17 PM

Yes. It looks great, even if its basically the same graphics as MWO, that's still leagues above the last official MW title, and I personally enjoy the PGI style more than the dopey 80s anime style that the other games use. And it'll have inverse kinematics which is my only peeve with MWO visuals.

Balance is of no concern to me because its supposed to have mod support, which means I can balance it how I want. LRMs too slow? Not anymore. If I want an AC7 I can make one. If I want an LB200 I will be able to make one. Hell, the only thing that keeps me from doing that in MWO is the online part. If they give me the tools to fix the complaints I have, then I will have no complaints.

#69 Knuckles OTool

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostAppogee, on 17 December 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

Really?

I thought I was buying the game that PGI showed in its presentations... especially a community warfare endgame featuring careers and logistics etc.

Instead I was delivered an arena shooter ... with an endgame that is arena shooting with 4 respawns.

So I certainly don't think I got what I paid (a four figure sum) for.

That is a lot of money and maybe I'm missing the context but didnt you spend that money on different mechs in a game you already played? Are you saying you didn't get the mechs you paid for or you thought the game would get better and risked buying a bunch anyway? Did you pay all that money before you even played it?

#70 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

View PostAppogee, on 17 December 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

^ This.

The fact that MW5 has already slipped a year doesn't inspire confidence. Sooner or later PGI will just launch it as a minimally viable product, promising it will fixed/extended/finished One Day™.

Would you like to buy a Mission Pack?

I seriously just expect exactly this from pgi. The least amount of work to ship it as soon as possible for the most amount or pre-order profit. The only selling point of mw5 to me is their claim of "steam workshop support." assuming that isn't pgi usual marketing bs of talking big I'd be more than happy to get the game as it would have the potential of almost no end to what you could get out of it for entertainment. It has the potential to be as good as Skyrim or as horrible as DNF.

#71 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:40 PM

Waiting for the 80% off the GOTY Edition Steam sale.

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 17 December 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#72 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:33 AM

View PostKnuckles OTool, on 17 December 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

That is a lot of money and maybe I'm missing the context but didnt you spend that money on different mechs in a game you already played? Are you saying you didn't get the mechs you paid for or you thought the game would get better and risked buying a bunch anyway? Did you pay all that money before you even played it?

Many of us continued to buy Mech Packs based on the many ongoing commitments made by PGI about the game they were creating.

Here's just one such example of what PGI told us they were building. And another.

Compare the commitments made to what they actually delivered.

Edited by Appogee, 18 December 2018 - 02:35 AM.

#73 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:37 AM

View PostTelemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, on 17 December 2018 - 11:40 PM, said:

Waiting for the 80% off the GOTY Edition Steam sale.

Well the 80% of sale might be possible, but what turns a game into a GOTY... the sales?

#74 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:41 AM

I will buy it after some time if it is on Sale at Steam and if it is a worthwhile experience.

Never will give PGI anymoe money for a full price product.
I'm sorry for all the people who still belive PGI will eliver an A+ exprience with MW5, won't happen.

#75 PyreLlght

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

If this isn't financially successful, you probably won't see Mechwarrior in a long time.

Besides, for a studio of their size, it's incredible what PGI has achieved with what we've seen of MW5: Mercs. No previous MW has had this level of graphical fidelity, procedurally generated missions, and roster of mechs available at launch. No matter your opinion on MW:O, this game looks great and it will be an incredibly important statement about the health of Mechwarrior games. So the better its sales are, the better the future of Mechwarrior will be.

Otherwise, it'll be like the TEN dark years between 2002 and 2012 where nothing happened after Microsoft buried the IP.

#76 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:18 AM

I'm warily optimistic for MW5. I really want it to be good and I will most certainly buy it if it is. No pre order though. Particularly when the only basis for AI we have to look at are the turrets, training grounds mech turrets in the "gauntlet" or whatever and the VIP atlas that struggles to get from point A to B.

#77 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:34 AM

PGI has been "chasing" game trends and being reactive from day 1. The dropped into the dunney when they realized that the scope of Faction play exceeded their budget....... The de-evolution took three years as the staff departed. Solaris was a knee jerk to the e-Sports mania and the rhetoric from the elite teams..........they "assumed" that the elite players were part of the meritocracy they created !!! That competition was what they really wanted and Solaris was a tool to 1) fuel the e-Sports pipeline (after all everybody wants to be competitors!!!!) and 2) Solaris would the the training ground everyone would use to prepare for the e=Sports and Comp que..............

How wrong they were. The elite players really enjoyed the farming and slaughtering of noobs in an uncontrolled and unrestricted manor and when given the choice of trying that against equal players (Solaris) the vast majority rejected the concept because it was "too hard" to do as an individual........... Now, some will say "WTF" is this drivel.... But, ask your self: why isn't Solaris working if we have thousands of individual "elite mech killers with superior skills?" Because they can't do it on their own..............it's too difficult and when faced with actual, elite players well...................Solaris is a fail.

Teams greater that 4 get toxic in an uncontrolled environment........ It's why MW5 is a compromise and may not "be enough" of a "team effort" for the many that use teams > 4 to dominate and alone, just won't invest the time........... The Single Player pilots from the earlier MW game, may not "jump in" because PGI has "salted the Earth" with compromises over the past 6 years and very few trust them with a SP storyline game........and, my issue is that now I have a few mechs in MWO and, if I can't use them: what was the point of two years in this game???

#78 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

I'm looking forward to MW5. From what I have seen so far, it looks like a fun title. The graphics and scale looks good, and the premise (being a Mercenary Commander, possibly vengeful) seems perfect for the BattleTech universe. It seems like it will have a lot of mechs to choose from as well. Plus, destructible buildings is always fun :).

I don't know if it is going to be the best MechWarrior title made, however it seems like it is going to be a solid entry at the least. I am most likely going to be getting MechWarrior 5:Mercs and I have a feeling that if I do, I am going to thoroughly enjoy it.

#79 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:03 AM

once they deliver improvements to faction warfare, I'll gladly buy into mw5. Posted Image

#80 MrStude2r5

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

View PostPyreLlght, on 18 December 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

If this isn't financially successful, you probably won't see Mechwarrior in a long time.

Besides, for a studio of their size, it's incredible what PGI has achieved with what we've seen of MW5: Mercs. No previous MW has had this level of graphical fidelity, procedurally generated missions, and roster of mechs available at launch. No matter your opinion on MW:O, this game looks great and it will be an incredibly important statement about the health of Mechwarrior games. So the better its sales are, the better the future of Mechwarrior will be.

Otherwise, it'll be like the TEN dark years between 2002 and 2012 where nothing happened after

Microsoft buried the IP.

As an Elite Founder myself, I have already pre ordered Mech5... It is sad that Microsoft buried the IP, but every title sometimes needs a reboot. I have every edition in the Mechwarrior Stable, and have gotten years and years of fun out of them. I dont believe MWO will die just because Mech5 is coming out. PGI has always been awesome to deal with as well, right from the very beginnning...a very very long time ago. The big thing in the entire series is configurability!! Everything pretty much can be altered to suit the user! Remember...HeavyGear, HeavyGear2 Awesome as well! #respectPGI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users