• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 13 December 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Dear Noobs,

The assaults as you may know are your very best friends. They will move to get a center position in the main group and operate somewhat like a turret. You know they have heavy firepower but are not so very mobile like you in your lesser tonnage mech. Now the nice thing about this is that they can "facetrade" . You know: you shoot me, I shoot you. Also very nice for your team: the enemy will focus fire on your assaults. They see them as a big threat and beefy too. So you can easily use flanking tactics or use them as a shield ! They are okay with that !
But my dear noobs, what do you do in battle ? You see the enemy coming and immediately sh$%^ starts running down your pants ! You flee. You leave your dear friends behind and let the enemy have a nice meal. NOT OKAY !!!

Now all this is just not necessary. Stay calmly in place, be brave, assist your assaults and you will be fine.
You might even win the game despite a lousy matchmaker. It' s all so simple !

Thanks for listening, take care,

Inatu out.

Good luck. I've stopped playing Assaults because they are a liability. Not because they are bad, but because you can't rely on your team in QP. It's telling that so many people hit like on Ash's post not yours. People don't like being called out on their particular play style, which above tier 3 tends to be extremely selfish. If you are in QP then mobility is king, nobody will wait for your fire power to get into place if they can rush the line like a headless chicken. I would suggest a minimum 60kph top speed, yes this means that the so-called QP tier 0 Fafnir is actually going to get you destroyed at least as often as not.

#42 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostAstrocanis, on 16 December 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

You're right. And those Romans who used those tactics were disciplined. PUGs are the anti-discipline. If you can get 12 goldfish to do the same thing (without feeding them), I congratulate you.

[edit] What you describe is less of a Phalanx and more Echelon Left with skirmishers attempting to set up an enfilade defense.

I can get 12 goldfish to do the same thing and it directly involves not feeding them.

Dark humor aside...I am not suggesting a very complex thing at all it's very very simple your slowest mechs are the least manuverable (duh) so should be the "anvil" or "hub" of the rest of the company. The light mechs that are the fastest (also duh) can afford to range the furthest from your slowest mechs and still be within supporting distance of the slowest mechs.

On Caustic valley it just happens to make the most sense to deploy the slowest mechs on the higher elevation with speed indicating the distance down the slope the rest deploy from your slowest mechs.

This makes the relative times of response to a threat forward as close to the same as possible reducing the time any element of the formation can be the focus of attack without the aggressors being themselves place under return fire.

My use of "Phalanx" was the troop formation of spearmen arrayed in a ranked rectangular block. The manuver I described was how to incorperate fast cavalry or chariots in support of the Phalanx formation.

A Phalanx is a troop type (spearmen arrayed in ranks) not a strategy or maneuver like execution of an echelon left/right.

Two distinctive military formations ( Phalanx and fast cavalry) executing a cohesive strategic maneuver.

P.S. the Phalanx was utilized by the Greeks and Macedonians not the Romans. The Romans utilized a more complex line of formation commonly called a Manipular formation.

#43 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:37 AM

View PostLykaon, on 18 December 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

I can get 12 goldfish to do the same thing and it directly involves not feeding them.

Dark humor aside...I am not suggesting a very complex thing at all it's very very simple your slowest mechs are the least manuverable (duh) so should be the "anvil" or "hub" of the rest of the company. The light mechs that are the fastest (also duh) can afford to range the furthest from your slowest mechs and still be within supporting distance of the slowest mechs.

On Caustic valley it just happens to make the most sense to deploy the slowest mechs on the higher elevation with speed indicating the distance down the slope the rest deploy from your slowest mechs.

This makes the relative times of response to a threat forward as close to the same as possible reducing the time any element of the formation can be the focus of attack without the aggressors being themselves place under return fire.

My use of "Phalanx" was the troop formation of spearmen arrayed in a ranked rectangular block. The manuver I described was how to incorperate fast cavalry or chariots in support of the Phalanx formation.

A Phalanx is a troop type (spearmen arrayed in ranks) not a strategy or maneuver like execution of an echelon left/right.

Two distinctive military formations ( Phalanx and fast cavalry) executing a cohesive strategic maneuver.

P.S. the Phalanx was utilized by the Greeks and Macedonians not the Romans. The Romans utilized a more complex line of formation commonly called a Manipular formation.

I read that in its entirety and realized that, after 2 hours, I had gobbed on my shirt.... at work.

#44 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:05 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 December 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

Most of those in the bottom of their lances are lower in their Jarl's rank compared to those that are top in their lances, so if anything you just validated Jarl's as an effective tool for measuring skill.

And at the same time showed how poor the match maker is.

#45 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostSamial, on 19 December 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

And at the same time showed how poor the match maker is.

I thought that was a given?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users