Sick And Tired Of Taking Brawl Mechs In Qp

32 replies to this topic

#21 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

1) You have to be patient in a brawler. You may not shoot at all for the first five minutes, but almost every match eventually closes to brawl range.
2) MRMs have good range. They're slow though, so you need to learn to lead your target. You can plaster targets at 500+m once you've got it down.

#22 Knuckles OTool

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Only to be absolutely ****** due to map selection. So you take a MRM boat (lol M is medium range, yet they are only effective in unguided srm range) and get absolutely ******* boned trying to get to the enemy to do piss poor damage. No wonder Guass/laservomit is popular, it is ******* applicable for every map. Seriously, give us a ******* bone and let us veto certain maps before launching. I don't want to take srms and mrms on Polar ******* Highlands.

I hear ya. Map choice is a pain for certain builds but a bigger problem is everyone else running long range laser, goose, dakka and lrm type builds. Let's be honest that if a lot of people ran brawl builds then the problem wouldnt be map selection it would be closing the gap past those few snipers. My favorite builds have always been those sub 300m builds and they can be hard to make work with so many running long range. Long range builds dont suffer much in close range but brawl builds are useless at long range. Combine that with maps that engagements are popular at 600m+ and it is pretty unbalanced against certain weapons.

I was in that match in Grim on the opposite team where you got pretty mad about it. I was in a HLLxERM HBR and most of my team was camping and sniping as soon as they saw an enemy. Im pretty sure you and I exchanged a salvo around theta and We couldnt get our team to move to support or engage. I died to a lone flanking direwolf running lbx5's if that makes you feel any better. I called it and got no support even though we were losing on caps and had plenty of people that werent firing much as they had no shots.
People want to stay with the crowd even when the crowd is in an awkward spot.

For the record Garfuncle is a pretty damn good player who has played more than a few matches. Telling him to hide behind walls for LRM's or be patient is kind of silly and I think you missed his point.

Edited by Knuckles OTool, 17 December 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#23 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

Only to be absolutely ****** due to map selection. So you take a MRM boat (lol M is medium range, yet they are only effective in unguided srm range) and get absolutely ******* boned trying to get to the enemy to do piss poor damage. No wonder Guass/laservomit is popular, it is ******* applicable for every map. Seriously, give us a ******* bone and let us veto certain maps before launching. I don't want to take srms and mrms on Polar ******* Highlands.

dude. you need to either stop using swearwords or fuсking learn to do it properly.

#24 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 17 December 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

dude. you need to either stop using swearwords or fuсking learn to do it properly.

his way doesn't get moderated

your post is gonna get redacted (and mine too for discussing moderation, lol)

#25 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 17 December 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

his way doesn't get moderated

your post is gonna get redacted (and mine too for discussing moderation, lol)

better to die like a lion than live like a sheep or whatever that phrase sounds in english :)

#26 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 17 December 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

better to die like a lion than live like a sheep or whatever that phrase sounds in english Posted Image

In this analogy, the sheep (who talked about using swear words) are the ones who die (get moderated) while the lion who swears, lives on to bypass the system :P

#27 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:38 AM

View PostGalaxie 500, on 16 December 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

Patience is necessary, even crucial, when the map doesn't suit you. When I'm in a brawling build and up comes Polar Highlands, I'm just going to have to run around in the trenches coordinating for the first half. Since I won't be firing at anything, that's my time to provide AMS and ECM (on some mechs), or go carefully and pop a UAV where it makes a difference (if in a light), or if none of the above, just contribute some effort in coordinating where the enemy force is and whether my team should focus here or there, whether we should move right or left, etc. I can make a big difference if I keep certain very common bad moves from happening, like if I can help keep only two mediums chasing enemy lights instead of a bunch of our team's heavies peeling off and going after them. That alone can be the difference between win and loss. There are several other super common bad moves that I can carefully help prevent without pissing anyone off, and all because I'm not having to fire for a few minutes.

I agree that it sucks, of course, since we'd all rather be in action the maximum amount of time. I'm just saying there are very significant things I can do while waiting, things that can contribute to the win vs loss. And then finally the time comes and I join the push and we wreck the enemy, ideally. Or things don't go so well but at least the range has closed and I can get a kill or two and maybe get the team back on top.

View PostKubernetes, on 17 December 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

1) You have to be patient in a brawler. You may not shoot at all for the first five minutes, but almost every match eventually closes to brawl range.
2) MRMs have good range. They're slow though, so you need to learn to lead your target. You can plaster targets at 500+m once you've got it down.

What these guys said:

I do good on polar usually, their's enough cover to block LOS, and when the enemy don't have LOS you can close the distance to short range and surprise them.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 December 2018 - 12:44 AM.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:27 AM

fp is much more conductive to brawling that qp is. granted this is map dependant and you can always swap out your mechs on maps that are not brawl friendly.

#29 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

I've always thought it would be great if PGI simply allowed you to choose the variant of whatever chassis you've selected after the map & mode has been determined.

Say you want to play your Kodiaks. You select the chassis and click "Quick Play". Map & Mode voting goes as usual, but a new screen overlay similar to the Map/Mode Voting overlay appears where you select the 'mech variant of that chassis from those that you already own, knowing what Map/Mode you will be playing. It's Solaris City Assault, so you decide to select your Spirit Bear with a close range loadout. You then click the "OK" button, whereupon the overlay disappears leaving you at the lobby screen ready to drop.

Not only does this allow for far less player frustration from being forced to play inappropriate loadouts, it also provides a reason to buy, own, and *play* more than the one or two meta variants of a chassis, or even for owning multiples of the same chassis & variant. Using the previous Kodiak example, it provides more of a valid reason to acquire more than just the KDK-3 and KDK-SB and it also would mean there will be more variety of both variants and loadouts on the solo-QP battlefield, instead of all the cookie-cutter generalized solo-QP builds on the same old variants.

It would also relieve a lot of the stress and frustration from the grind of "skilling up" new 'mechs when the player is not doubly handicapped by both a green 'mech and a bad loadout for the map/mode.

It is also my belief that it would reduce the frequency and randomness of "stomps" and increase average TTK in solo-QP.

Edited by BlueStrat, 18 December 2018 - 03:15 AM.

#30 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:12 AM

I think its match making
When you match guys who know and love how to play the map
vs
Those who dont and probably hate it
its ma tchh maker not the map

For clarity

guys who know and love how to play the map vs guys who know and love how to play the map
Those who dont and probably hate it vs Those who dont and probably hate it

Better games

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 December 2018 - 03:13 AM.

#31 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:00 AM

Bah L2MRM! Works decently up to it's maximum range, against assaults it works great.
My two main MRM mechs IV-FOUR and TBT-7M ~500 games combined (not sure if stats count FW games, if not shitloads of more) both have average damage/game bit under 600.

#32 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:05 AM

View PostLeone, on 16 December 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

Really? Polar Highlands is one of my favourite brawling maps.

~Leone.

Agreed. The trench and hill systems are helpful for getting in range. I like to have at least one long range weapon aboard, like an ERLL or ERPPCs if I can manage the heat, but I’ve done Polar with SRMs and SNPPC before.

#33 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:31 AM

View PostChados, on 18 December 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Agreed. The trench and hill systems are helpful for getting in range. I like to have at least one long range weapon aboard, like an ERLL or ERPPCs if I can manage the heat, but I’ve done Polar with SRMs and SNPPC before.

When you have a short range build, pack double arti/air strikes. Longest range weapon in the game, zero tons.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 18 December 2018 - 05:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users