You Think This Will Break The Game?

58 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

I've heard about the Macro exploit on the RACs, I wasn't just that curious to try. That being said, it would be pretty funny if we made this RAC-warrior online and just used RACs in such a way till it's fixed.

You know what I bet? PGI's just gonna nerf the RACs instead of fixing this mechanically.

#2 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 27 January 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

I've heard about the Macro exploit on the RACs, I wasn't just that curious to try. That being said, it would be pretty funny if we made this RAC-warrior online and just used RACs in such a way till it's fixed.

You know what I bet? PGI's just gonna nerf the RACs instead of fixing this mechanically.

I've always considered Fire Control cheating but PGI doesn't so *shrug*

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Macros are legit as per CoC. Get over it.

#4 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

View PostMystere, on 27 January 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Macros are legit. I doubt anyone is going to be banned for using this bug but it should absolutely definitely be removed because it is a bug.

#5 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostMystere, on 27 January 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Macros are legit because you can't trick the system into firing faster than the cooldown of the weapon. With RACs, the fire control macro is somehow able to actually increase the rate of fire. Watch the comparison in the latter part of the video, with the fire control macro his rate of bullet consumption is substantially higher. Clearly unintended behavior and is likely just an indication that somewhere they forgot so specify something in the RAC behavior that would prevent this. It's not that the macro is bad, it's that the weapon needs a coding pass.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 27 January 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

Macros are legit. I doubt anyone is going to be banned for using this bug but it should absolutely definitely be removed because it is a bug.

My response was to GeminiWolf's post, not The6thMessenger's. <shrugs>

View PostVerilligo, on 27 January 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Macros are legit because you can't trick the system into firing faster than the cooldown of the weapon. With RACs, the fire control macro is somehow able to actually increase the rate of fire. Watch the comparison in the latter part of the video, with the fire control macro his rate of bullet consumption is substantially higher. Clearly unintended behavior and is likely just an indication that somewhere they forgot so specify something in the RAC behavior that would prevent this. It's not that the macro is bad, it's that the weapon needs a coding pass.

Ditto.

Edited by Mystere, 27 January 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#7 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Well now everyone knows it WILL be exploited.
Question is how long until it's patched.

#8 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

I wonder if this bug is also why I’ve seen a bunch of 4 and 5 RAC2 builds recently. I tried them out myself, and found them pretty meh, but if you can severely reduce heat and increase their DPS, it would be pretty amazing.

i think there was recent Baradul video where he was killed by a 5xRAC2 king crab, and expressed amazement at how fast he died - perhaps this is why. I wonder if you set the RACs to alternate fire at a certain rate if it effects how ghost heat is calculated... hmm.

Edited by Maddermax, 27 January 2019 - 09:36 PM.

#9 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

View PostMystere, on 27 January 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

My response was to GeminiWolf's post, not The6thMessenger's. <shrugs>

Ditto.

Macro's are cheating simply because they are performing the action for the player in a manner in which the player could not do so themself. This is my opinion not the opinion of PGI or you.

#10 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostMaddermax, on 27 January 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

I wonder if this bug is also why I’ve seen a bunch of 4 and 5 RAC2 builds recently. I tried them out myself, and found them pretty meh, but if you can severely reduce heat and increase their DPS, it would be pretty amazing.

i think there was recent Baradul video where he was killed by a 5xRAC2 king crab, and expressed amazement at how fast he died - perhaps this is why. I wonder if you set the RACs to alternate fire at a certain rate if it effects how ghost heat is calculated... hmm.

Well 4 Rac2 is manageable even with GH but I haven't tested x5 rac2. I'd imagine it's too hot for sustained use but it could be a good troll build.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 27 January 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

Well now everyone knows it WILL be exploited.
Question is how long until it's patched.

It will also depend on the latency and server stability. Those will low latency will be able to exploit it better than those with high latency. Also, it works better in Solaris since few players would be in match to affect server performance. Posted Image

View PostTheArisen, on 27 January 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

Well 4 Rac2 is manageable even with GH but I haven't tested x5 rac2. I'd imagine it's too hot for sustained use but it could be a good troll build.

You can easily use this macro exploit with 100 tonners such as King Crab and Anni, for 5-6 seconds of sustained fire. Cooling off takes another 5-6 seconds but if your aim is good, any target that is inside 400 meters, and moves slower than 80 kph would be dead by eating 250 RAC2 rounds within those 5 seconds. I saw a popular streamer exploiting this mechanic with 5xRAC2 Krab.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 January 2019 - 10:05 PM.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

I don't think its game breaking, but it sure as **** is annoying when you run into the racro in Solaris.

#13 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

OK, lousy programming, nothing new here. That said now that the bug is out in the open it needs fixing quickly.

Btw: Using macros is legal, but exploiting bugs is NOT, so USING MACROS TO EXPLOIT A BUG IS AGAINST MWO RULES AND CAN GET YOU BANNED.

#14 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:16 AM

Should be relatively easy to find out at server side who is exploiting this by checking DoT numbers using RACs.

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:25 AM

View PostBrizna, on 28 January 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

OK, lousy programming, nothing new here. That said now that the bug is out in the open it needs fixing quickly.

Btw: Using macros is legal, but exploiting bugs is NOT, so USING MACROS TO EXPLOIT A BUG IS AGAINST MWO RULES AND CAN GET YOU BANNED.

When was the last time you saw anyone banned for anything? Or when was the last time PGI quickly reacted and fixed smth? ... If anyting I'd say we should ALL start exploiting the **** out of it just so the whine from it becomes strong enough with threats of "Imma closing my wallet till its fixed" from our dear seals.

#16 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

View PostBrizna, on 28 January 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

THIS.

#17 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

I'm pretty sure this works with MGs too, but I don't know anything about macros to actually test it.

Mostly just basing this off my highly unscientific "how fast can I shoot a half ton of ammo" tests. For the "full auto" weapons, manually clicking tends to result in a higher rate of fire than just holding down the button.

Edited by Kanil, 28 January 2019 - 02:06 AM.

#18 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:32 AM

View PostKanil, on 28 January 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure this works with MGs too, but I don't know anything about macros to actually test it.

Mostly just basing this off my highly unscientific "how fast can I shoot a half ton of ammo" tests. For the "full auto" weapons, manually clicking tends to result in a higher rate of fire than just holding down the button.

It does work for every DPS weapon without cooldown: RACs, MGs and most likely flamers... all of those use same code to function. With MGs it's pretty easy to spot when dakka sound brokes and becomes weird.

#19 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:35 AM

Nearly doubles the dps- and lets you do it again before overheating or jamming.

If it is legal, be silly to not use it. I've got a 3xrac2 nightstar that would benefit immensely from this.

#20 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:38 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 28 January 2019 - 02:35 AM, said:

Nearly doubles the dps- and lets you do it again before overheating or jamming.

If it is legal, be silly to not use it. I've got a 3xrac2 nightstar that would benefit immensely from this.

I want to know the official position. If Fire Control and mouse button timing software are allowed and doing this macro to double DPS is allowed, then I want to know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users