6 Kills But Only 340 Match Score

53 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:25 AM

the scoring in this game remains highly questionable. ive seen people with 7 kills not break 500. meanwhile a no skill lerm boat spews useless damage evereywhere and gets it. i personally got mine in an ultraviolet with 3 kills and 800 damage. i set up to intercept a nascar and people kept trying to poke me, each time getting about 20-30 ac2 rounds in the face. that went on for several minutes. i hit a squirrels ammo reserve, he ran away got out of my line of sight and then promptly blew up. i turned around and pegged another squirrel that failed to exploit the fact that my back was turned. frankly it was kind of a dull match.

#22 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

Because kills in themselves don't do much. You need KMDD and solo kills to really get that score up. Play enough and you'll eventually get 6+ kill matches where you really don't do much other than happen to fire at the right time. For the 500 match score try MRMs or Streaks and just try to do as much damage as possible.

Team damage also crushes your match score. I've had matches with 1k dmg get a pitiful match score because of a bad arty strike.

Edited by Kubernetes, 21 January 2019 - 02:42 AM.

#23 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:42 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 21 January 2019 - 02:40 AM, said:

Because kills in themselves don't do much. You need KMDD and solo kills to really get that score up. Play enough and you'll eventually get 6+ kill matches where you really don't do much other than happen to fire at the right time. For the 500 match score try MRMs or Streaks and just try to do as much damage as possible.

Exactly. KMDD/Solo Kill is king along with the damage from that kill.

Plus other things like Lance Formation, Spotting, killing UAVs, Brawling / Flanking rewards etc etc.

Literally doing 400 damage and 5 kills, just by last hitting them and doing not much else - is not really going to help match score. Nor should it, because you didn't really do anything.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 January 2019 - 02:42 AM.

#24 The Caterpillar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:04 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 January 2019 - 02:42 AM, said:

Exactly. KMDD/Solo Kill is king along with the damage from that kill.

Plus other things like Lance Formation, Spotting, killing UAVs, Brawling / Flanking rewards etc etc.

Literally doing 400 damage and 5 kills, just by last hitting them and doing not much else - is not really going to help match score. Nor should it, because you didn't really do anything.

An atlas has 62 internal structure + say, 8 rear armor. That means I could only do 70*6=420 damage and yet get 6 solo kills. I'm not saying that happened but just to put it in perspective that low damage doesn't mean your aren't contributing most to a kill.

#25 GTKA

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:16 AM

View PostThe Caterpillar, on 21 January 2019 - 03:04 AM, said:

An atlas has 62 internal structure + say, 8 rear armor. That means I could only do 70*6=420 damage and yet get 6 solo kills. I'm not saying that happened but just to put it in perspective that low damage doesn't mean your aren't contributing most to a kill.

If you don't have a kmdd/solo kill at the end of a mech dying, then you have either: finished off a kill, stole a kill, or saved a buddy in game. Worth while kills is whether or not you had a solo kill. If you get a kmdd, grats a mech just died that you put a lot of damage into. If you have received neither a solo kill or a kmdd at the end of a match, yet have 6 kills, then you should not be shocked that your match score isn't as high as it could be.

#26 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:30 AM

Dude, look, I'll be straight with you...

Your stats show you really have no idea how to play the game. Your builds and everything you are posting here backs all that up.

If you wanna improve then take the advice when it's given from higher level players.

If you don't and wanna keep doing as is then cool - you do that - but you won't get over 340 match score regularly. I mean your KDR is oddly, decent, you can build on that easily.

#27 The Caterpillar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

I don't want to drag this out any longer, but just because I don't get kmdd or solo kill doesn't mean I didn't get a 'solo kill'. Let's say an assault mech is being poked at from the front for a while from long range, and has damage all over his front torsos, arms, and legs. Then I come in from the back and chew through his fresh rear armor plus fresh internal structure. I'll get the kill, not having benefited from any of the prior damage done to it, yet still won't get kmdd or solo kill.

It wouldn't be a kill steal, because ultimately the mech wasn't badly hurt, it just had damage spread all over its armor sections.

I would suggest a different formula for solo kill, but it's not like PGI will ever do anything, ever, about anything in general.

Edited by The Caterpillar, 21 January 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#28 The Caterpillar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:45 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 January 2019 - 03:30 AM, said:

Dude, look, I'll be straight with you...

Your stats show you really have no idea how to play the game. Your builds and everything you are posting here backs all that up.

If you wanna improve then take the advice when it's given from higher level players.

If you don't and wanna keep doing as is then cool - you do that - but you won't get over 340 match score regularly. I mean your KDR is oddly, decent, you can build on that easily.

I used to have a potato computer that couldn't play above 20 FPS (which is basically unplayable as a light pilot). I very recently upgraded to an RTX 2080, and have started doing much better. I get higher match score than 340 all the time with other builds, it's just that I wish my new build didn't suffer from a match score calculation quirk, because I really like the play style.

[Edit] Also, I never made fresh accounts to sweep my failings under the rug, I've had the same account since beta and I'm not ashamed of its imperfection.

Edited by The Caterpillar, 21 January 2019 - 03:48 AM.

#29 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,666 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:49 AM

Do you have any screen shots? Hit that Print Screen at the end of your match, one with your individual stats then the team stats.

As noted, damage (direct damage, strikes and ammo explosions) provides 50% of its points to the Match Score everything else provides a flat point.

The PGI posted the breakup, it will be in patch notes when they m made some changes.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 January 2019 - 03:50 AM.

#30 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:05 AM

View PostThe Caterpillar, on 21 January 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

I don't want to drag this out any longer, but just because I don't get kmdd or solo kill doesn't mean I didn't get a 'solo kill'.

It does though. A Solo Kill is defined as:

A reward to the player achieve both the Kill Most Damage and Killing Blow rewards for the same target.

If you were indeed coming up behind a fresh target and chewing rear armour and all the structure for the kill - you would almost without question getting the KMDD / Killing Blow every single time and thus the Solo Kill as well.

You are clearly not doing what you are claiming. I'm not really sure how else to say that to be honest.

View PostThe Caterpillar, on 21 January 2019 - 03:45 AM, said:

I get higher match score than 340 all the time with other builds,

Except your avg for Jan is 241... (you can view that live in game right now). So you aren't getting over 340 all that often though dude. Not sure those backstab techniques and builds will continue to work once you climb tiers, another thing to think about.

#31 The Caterpillar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:09 AM

I'll take a pic next time I get the chance. This thread kind of got derailed by people complaining about my stats. I don't play competitively so stats like k/d are the last thing on my mind during a match. I just make builds I find fun, like awful 6PPC stalkers (before there was ghost heat) and what have you, and was hoping to grab that event reward. But it isn't that big of a deal.

#32 DeathWind001X

• Pip
  • The Pirate
  • The Pirate
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:14 AM

I got mine in a 7xSSRM4 C-Tag Pakhet. Just hunt down light mechs and basically be a aerial missle spewer. Hit 800+ dmg easily for 500+ match points.

#33 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

Sometimes it is just luck with the map / Mech combo...

I got MS of over 500 6 times this weekend, in around 20 games, over 2 accounts. Mechs used were Crab 20, Bushwacker X1, Warhammer Black Widow and a Cougar with 2 HML and 2LRM15s that was lucky enough to get Polar Highlands. The last one was surprising to me, because I was annoyed and just wanted to troll some people with missiles. I did not even pick Polar Highlands, because I really do not like the map. So that one was just pure luck.

For me, the Bushwacker is the Mech I most consistently score high with. Which is why 3 of those 500MS were using the Bushie.

Use the right tool for the job. If you play for fun, that's fine. But do not be surprised if you do not hit 500MS. If you want to hit that, you might want to listen to Ash. He is not usually known for politeness ( ;) ), but is one of the top players on the server. Otherwise, you can try to hope for luck. See my Cougar example above.

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 21 January 2019 - 05:13 AM.

#34 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:21 AM

It's not so much spreading damage as it is components destroyed. Just shooting CT and playing the game right yields a relatively average score. Blowing off arms, legs, and shoulders gives you a good boost and with AMS on top of that you should have it done pretty easily. I got mine on a loss, having exhausted my AMS ammo and doing 900 damage with 10 components destroyed. Strikes and UAVs also help pad stats.

#35 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 January 2019 - 04:05 AM, said:

A reward to the player achieve both the Kill Most Damage and Killing Blow rewards for the same target.

If you were indeed coming up behind a fresh target and chewing rear armour and all the structure for the kill - you would almost without question getting the KMDD / Killing Blow every single time and thus the Solo Kill as well.

Not neccessarily, actually. If the team is chewing through the front armor and getting the internals red crit, and this person is chewing through the rear armor and gets the final hit, he's still done relatively little damage. Sure he chewed through "all" that back armor (which for all but the most noobish of noobs is going to be pretty minimal), but that really isn't that much most of the time.

Except your avg for Jan is 241... (you can view that live in game right now). So you aren't getting over 340 all that often though dude. Not sure those backstab techniques and builds will continue to work once you climb tiers, another thing to think about.
As long as his loss net "=" or "+" more than "-", he'll climb the tiers.

Only true potatoes (or people who just don't give a flying F and pilot LOL-builds all the time) can manage to lose or be stationary in the current PSR system.

[EDIT]Ok yeah, just looked at the OP's stats and he primarily plays lights, so he's doing just that, running up behind currently engaged 'mechs and shooting out their backs, or running up and using crit heavy weapons (MG's) to get that final kill shot in, maybe hunting crit'd out, easy one shot-able 'mechs.

Net result of that style of play is high kill count, low damage dealt.

Scoring inefficient.

You need to pop more UAV's and add some AMS to boost your 'passive' scoring, and also maybe consider equipping a tag too, for active scoring, add it to all your weapons fire groups so that when you're shooting at an enemy, they're tagged giving you the chance for additional bonuses.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 21 January 2019 - 08:18 AM.

#36 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

View PostThe Caterpillar, on 20 January 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

I would say that's a case of the game calculating match score wrong then. Spreading damage all over the place isn't as valuable as taking mechs out of play altogether. I guess I'll just stop striving for the event challenge then. I'm not going to play worse for the sake of the game.

Your right however all match score is about is being someones opinion on what certain activities contribute to a given match. In this case they weigh damage, both outgoing and incoming very highly. The thought process is if your doing large damage numbers then even if you don't get a kill your still greatly assisting you team in making that kill happen. Also ever missile shot down is between 1-3 less damage your team takes which makes your team more effective overall. Honestly, these two activities aren't all that bad of a metric to use because you really can't argue with the logic both tasks do greatly contribute to your teams ability to win.

On the other hand, kills aren't weighted as heavily because, lets face it, it only takes 1 damage to kill a mech if your team has been working that mech over. I mean if you think about it, how many "Kill Secures" have you had in your MWO career? For myself I would guess somewhere in the thousands.

Now in addition to raw damage and AMS, KMDD and Solo kills also seem to be weighted heavily in your match score. If you get 6 kills with 5 of them giving you the "Solo Kill" award, then your score will skyrocket. "Solo Kill" requires you to get KMDD and the killing blow. If you are managing 2-3 solo kills per match or even just getting a ton of KMDD without the killing blow, then it is pretty obvious your making a significant contribution to your team and the match score seems to reward it according.

#37 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

The same for me.
I had several 600 + matchscore results over the years but during this challenge 487 was he highest I could reach.
Is it possible to do it with a 3 AMS mech?
Otherwise I skip this part of the challenge.

#38 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

Got 500+ score with only 89 damage and 9 assists . . . I did however knock down over 3300 lrm with my ams, stuck close to the assaults and heavies and generally walked around from mech to mech when the incoming lrm icon popped up. Job sorted, virtually nil effort. Did this on 2 accounts, one with Nova and 3 ams, other on Wolfhound with 2 ams.

#39 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

Bro. We already know you didn't get the KMDDs and Solos.

Read the thread, you need to stack the multipliers and have a few KMDDs to get good match score.

#40 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

For the event, my 500 score came 3 days ago with a bushwacker-x2 on HPG (a map I don't really like). Enemy took top and most of my team took right ramp while a few of us took left ramp. Between an artie, a UAV and 1 solo kill + 800 damage, and 120 ams that was enough. I'm sure i got hit and run and a few others as well.

I'm assuming the team win boosts too? (sorry total newbie still)

Edited by Sagara Sousuke 011011001, 21 January 2019 - 10:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users