Limit Class Based On Score In Qp

84 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Don't be too strict about it, but make a player have to score in the top 70% of his last match to pick an assault, and score in the top 80% to pick a light or heavy.

There's nothing worse than a potato in the assault slot, and being at the bottom of the pile in a heavy is also really bad. And lights aren't places for noobs either.

I hate to tell people how to play, but this would help keep potatoes from throwing matches. And lets face it, Quick Play isn't where you go to derp around anymore, it's the only mode we have left. We should focus on making that mode a little better for the sake of what's left of the game.

And really, just getting three full alphas in an assault should get you to at least half way up the scoreboard. So players don't have to "git gud", just not facepalm in the mechs teams need to carry.

#2 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

What the game would actually need... Tier/skill rating based on average match score instead of games played....

I'm always so glad to see a moron playing some wheelchair unintended troll build, staring at the ground instead of aiming forward, perma greyvision etc. Then when you look them up they're like <30% on jarls list, still put in to t1 games because lol they have like 20k games.

If they're on your team, you instant lose no matter what, if they're on the enemy team then the game is not fun because it ends in like 2 minutes and you don't even get to farm the enemy team.

Edited by I O O percent KongLord, 08 February 2019 - 05:43 PM.

#3 I throw Dim Sum

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

Don't be a fascist. If I was restricted to lights I'd quit the game. I'm loving my stalker right now and even though I potato it up most of the time, it's still hilarious.

#4 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:11 PM

I know you mean well, and watching assaults go down far too easily is painful, but what you’re proposing would quite simply kill the game for a large swathe of the player base.

People play for fun. Having balanced games does increase the fun, but if you remove a large aspect of what people find fun (ability to customise and drive whichever mech they feel like taking), in order to marginally improve balance, then you’re misunderstanding the aim of playing the game.

There are are much better ways to balance team competency which don’t have such severe drawbacks.

Edited by Maddermax, 08 February 2019 - 06:12 PM.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

No.

Absolutely No.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

View Postadamts01, on 08 February 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Don't be too strict about it, but make a player have to score in the top 70% of his last match to pick an assault, and score in the top 80% to pick a light or heavy.

There's nothing worse than a potato in the assault slot, and being at the bottom of the pile in a heavy is also really bad. And lights aren't places for noobs either.

I hate to tell people how to play, but this would help keep potatoes from throwing matches. And lets face it, Quick Play isn't where you go to derp around anymore, it's the only mode we have left. We should focus on making that mode a little better for the sake of what's left of the game.

And really, just getting three full alphas in an assault should get you to at least half way up the scoreboard. So players don't have to &quot;git gud&quot;, just not facepalm in the mechs teams need to carry.

Enjoy your matches filled with medium 'Mechs then.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

I would rather see the balance change so that all 4 weight classes are equally important in deciding the outcome. Losing a 55 tonner should be just as brutal as losing a 100 tonner.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

Queue time will become unbearable. And that's just one of the many things deeply wrong about this proposal.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 08 February 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

What the game would actually need... Tier/skill rating based on average match score instead of games played....

I'm always so glad to see a moron playing some wheelchair unintended troll build, staring at the ground instead of aiming forward, perma greyvision etc. Then when you look them up they're like &lt;30% on jarls list, still put in to t1 games because lol they have like 20k games.

If they're on your team, you instant lose no matter what, if they're on the enemy team then the game is not fun because it ends in like 2 minutes and you don't even get to farm the enemy team.

It....IS based on average match score.
https://mwomercs.com...-tiers-and-psr/
It's just Easier to move for lower match count for example it's possible for a new player to jump from tier 4 to tier 3 in their first match (Paul's words)
As such... the longer you play the more you "plateau" and the harder it is to move around so in the 20k range I have noticed progress is slower even when you have drastic improvement versus a newer account where we have claims of hitting tier 1 in a month (I managed tier 2 in a month and a few days using "My builds" but my main is only tier 3 despite numerous good matches in recent months).. But you are still slated to go up even ever so gradually as even losses can improve your skill "rating"

Thing is though despite this it is based entirely on average match score.

Edit. Rating was missing from "improve your skill"

Edited by Koniving, 08 February 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, force the good players to use the mech that are too fast for the scrubs to hit...

Next up:

PGI needs to nerf these lights that all the leets are using to rearcore my LRM100 Scorch.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

1. A real PSR and MM would have saved this game years ago. We're left with tier 5-1 players all in the same matches. Even if we had a real PSR, MWO doesn't have the population for more than 1 or 2 matches at once.

2. This isn't that severe. You'd have to be in the top 70% to drive an assault the next match. That means within the top 8 or 9 players out of 12. Not an outrageous goal. Say you want to play a Heavy or Light. Avoid being the worst or next worse player, and there you go. If you're the worst or next worse player, you'd have to drop in a medium, where a bad performance wouldn't necessarily throw the match.

3. We have brand spanking new players in tier 1 matches. They'd honestly have more wins and more fun if they didn't throw match after match as a noob assault that can't manage a single alpha of damage, and probably not know why. All this would do would limit the impact of the potato lottery.

4. At the very, very least, PGI should really push new players in to Mediums, and emphasize that Heavies and Assaults NEED to be front line mechs that can go toe to toe with anything they come across. PGI needs to promote the idea that support mechs aren't a real thing, just useless noob traps.

5. The goal isn't to fix anything, just season spam so it's easier to choke down and pretend it's steak.

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

View Postadamts01, on 08 February 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

1. A real PSR and MM would have saved this game years ago. We're left with tier 5-1 players all in the same matches. Even if we had a real PSR, MWO doesn't have the population for more than 1 or 2 matches at once.

2. This isn't that severe. You'd have to be in the top 70% to drive an assault the next match. That means within the top 8 or 9 players out of 12. Not an outrageous goal. Say you want to play a Heavy or Light. Avoid being the worst or next worse player, and there you go. If you're the worst or next worse player, you'd have to drop in a medium, where a bad performance wouldn't necessarily throw the match.

3. We have brand spanking new players in tier 1 matches. They'd honestly have more wins and more fun if they didn't throw match after match as a noob assault that can't manage a single alpha of damage, and probably not know why. All this would do would limit the impact of the potato lottery.

4. At the very, very least, PGI should really push new players in to Mediums, and emphasize that Heavies and Assaults NEED to be front line mechs that can go toe to toe with anything they come across. PGI needs to promote the idea that support mechs aren't a real thing, just useless noob traps.

5. The goal isn't to fix anything, just season spam so it's easier to choke down and pretend it's steak.

1. Yes, a better match maker would have prevented a lot of people from leaving. The other part about tiers, that isn't true. Read the stickied thread in this section regarding matchmaker.

2. Removing player choice based on performance absolutely is a huge issue. Talk about player bleed, now the game is going to straight up tell you that you suck so bad you can't play the mech you want. Buy a mechpack? Ooops you suck too bad to play it.

3. No not really. Not unless you're good enough to get an instant tier 3. Read the stickied thread.

4. Yes, lets reduce new player cadet bonus and punish new players even more. That will be great for retention! /s

5. Then WTF was the point of your post?

Edited by Prototelis, 08 February 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#13 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:54 AM

WAT.

I sometimes pad the match score by bonus farming (multi-AMS, TAG, UAV, NARC, etc.) regardless of class played, especially during events. If you think match score is indicative of the skill required to play a class properly, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 09 February 2019 - 12:55 AM.

#14 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:36 AM

Baby steps. Start with quadrupling the time out penalty for going AFK in an assault (double for mediums and triple for heavy).

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:58 AM

Glad to see the forums are alive with the sound of the most illogical of suggestions on a daily basis.

#16 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:12 AM

View PostPhilTKaswahl, on 09 February 2019 - 12:54 AM, said:

WAT.

I sometimes pad the match score by bonus farming (multi-AMS, TAG, UAV, NARC, etc.) regardless of class played, especially during events. If you think match score is indicative of the skill required to play a class properly, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

Umm...don't know about most, anyone that keeps my team from taking damage, uncovers ECM's, uses precious skill points to load strikes should have rewards to MS for this.

Giving up tonnage, skill points, and the like for situational MS points is a fair trade off in my book.

Edited by Ralatar, 09 February 2019 - 04:14 AM.

#17 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:27 AM

View Postadamts01, on 08 February 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

Utter idiocy snipped

Better yet just ban everyone apart from the top 1% from the game because they don't perform according to your opinion.

Deeply stupid idea from the OP. Just goes to prove that stats are meaningless when it comes to understanding the game and it's environment.

Edited by Dogstar, 09 February 2019 - 04:29 AM.

#18 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:36 AM

What an incredibly stupid idea.

#19 PhilTKaswahl

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:37 AM

View PostRalatar, on 09 February 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

Umm...don't know about most, anyone that keeps my team from taking damage, uncovers ECM's, uses precious skill points to load strikes should have rewards to MS for this.

Giving up tonnage, skill points, and the like for situational MS points is a fair trade off in my book.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a reward for those bonus match contributions; I'm saying they go in to match score and thus are another reason why match score isn't indicative of "skill" with a 'Mech class. My capability to mount stuff that auto-downs missiles or makes it hard for them to lock has sometimes propelled my match score to the top five, but it says nothing about having the positioning and piloting sense to pilot an assault. However, by OP's logic the score alone means I need to pilot an assault since that arbitrary score height "qualifies" me for it while at the same time locking me out of lights because I didn't score high enough even though I may have gotten that score in a light mounting AMS and ECM in the first place.

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Edited by PhilTKaswahl, 09 February 2019 - 05:02 AM.

#20 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:10 AM

assaults only when sussesfull in the Academy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users