The King Crab needs to make an appearance!

80 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO Poll (275 member(s) have cast votes)

The King Crab should be the next assault mech?

1. Agree (211 votes [76.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.73%

2. Disagree (64 votes [23.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Valgorn47

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yes for the king Crab

Just looks different to the other already announced. And I like how it looks.

#22 errmoop0

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationKatherine, NT, Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

Fourth,the King Crab is a very popular assault mech.

You don't say?

#23 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostSteel Smurf, on 26 July 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

They were going to introduce it, but this guy got it first.
Posted Image

Hehe! Loved this..Went to school with his brother Norm just as an aside...

#24 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 26 July 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

King Crab is a must for me

Alex's redesign looks very industrial and very badass, and two arm-mounted AC-20s will ruin anybody's day. Of course, we do have the Stalker for a non-humanoid Assault, but the King Crab has a unique profile and presence on the battlefield.

You can't just say 'oh well use a goliath if you want a non-humanoid assault' quads are a whole other story and have some big problems(rigging/animation concerns, and balance concerns because it does not follow the same rules for legging). The goliath re-design is hot stuff, but quads are not out because they had bad art, they're out because you can't leg the damn things.

Can you post the link to alex's redesign of the King Crab.

#25 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Sure it can, after I get my Zeus >.>

#26 AtomicArmadillo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSpace the final Fronter

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

No crabs please ,they are hard to get rid of.

#27 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

How come this isn't in this thread yet? Alex's(Flying Debris) Crab and King Crab:

Posted Image

#28 Hykelion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 26 July 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

How come this isn't in this thread yet? Alex's(Flying Debris) Crab and King Crab:

Posted Image

Note the TF2 Spy Crab in the lower right corner.

In other news, I'm hoping for both the Crab and King Crab. Why? It's simple: CRAB BATTLE.

GIANT ENEMY KING CRAB. HIT IT IN ITS BACK PANELS FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

#29 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 25 July 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

The King Crab is more of a loveable underdog than "very popular" making it even more deserving to get in.Also: Better pictures and this quote from the MWO facebook page "[color=#333333]I cannot guarantee it will be in game, but I am fighting tooth and nail to include it at some point."[/color]
Posted Image

Oh man... so beautiful. One of my favourite mechs, and we need a chassis with a ballistic bias (but not a boat, like an Annihilator!)

FD is the king of mechs, just look at that thing!

#30 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDjevelens Bakende Kanal

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, we need both really. Maybe a discounted double-pack and launch them together. I'd get 'em.

#31 Hexial

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Did you know the King Crab can only move sideways?

<.<

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

FD's Crab is great, and one of the reasons that I haven't really tried to redesign it. (The one I did sketch out looked surprisingly similar to his, so i figured why bother.)

His KC is a lot better, but it is still a relatively dumb looking design. I think he did the best one could with it, but the whole crab claw gun mount thing is one of those stupid ideas you wish had never got a life of theirr own.

#33 Walsung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

i don't like the gun designs either normally

this is a pretty cool model of the 009 variant that looks pretty cool though (the ac 20's are replaced with rotary 5's)

http://camospecs.com...ure.asp?ID=6052

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostWalsung, on 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

i don't like the gun designs either normally

this is a pretty cool model of the 009 variant that looks pretty cool though (the ac 20's are replaced with rotary 5's)

http://camospecs.com...ure.asp?ID=6052

I do agree that helps, though it also shows one of the biggest reasons I am against the king crab... aside from looking like it's bent over to do the dirty, it's center of gravity is so far beyond ludicrous that unless the SLDF hid and anti-grave pod under it, the thing would chin plow the sod, and never be able tto actually move.

My number one knock on so manyh of the FASA designs is their complete impossibility from the engineering standpoint, as drawn.

#35 Walsung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 July 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I do agree that helps, though it also shows one of the biggest reasons I am against the king crab... aside from looking like it's bent over to do the dirty, it's center of gravity is so far beyond ludicrous that unless the SLDF hid and anti-grave pod under it, the thing would chin plow the sod, and never be able tto actually move.

My number one knock on so manyh of the FASA designs is their complete impossibility from the engineering standpoint, as drawn.

yep a fair number of the drawings i have seen especially of chicken walkers have had the feet either to far back like the crab/KC or to far forward the modeller did a good job rebalancing the mech under the circumstances. I am sure piranha could replumb it so its center of gravity was actually over its feet though.

Edited by Walsung, 26 July 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#36 Lanc3rz3r0

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 25 July 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

I understand that the King Crab is restricted to Comstar in the current timeline, so we can only hope!

this says it all. plus I dont know any mechwarriors who prefer an ALL ballistic loadout. ok, while it does have one energy weapon, that won't do any good once one is out of ammo with it's main punishment weapons.

also, how useful will area denial be in this game, really? even in the "destroy the base" type missions that have been suggested, "area denial" is intended to block military access to geographical locations, and generally has a larger scale role than the skirmish-based combat like what we have seen in the videos released so far.

the only real reason I can see to add the King Crab is because of its comparatively low profile, which would make it a unique mech outline in the distance.

the "mass ballistic hardpoints" issue is moot. the Dragon and Atlas both have large amounts of ballistic weapons, as does the as does the cataphract. just because most mechs cannot mount two to three gauss rifles does not mean they lack for firepower.

#37 Star Ace

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I like the King Crab, although my fave non-humanoid 100 tonner is and shall always be the copyright-damned (and therefore, MWO banned) Marauder II.

The Annihilator is awesome, although the armor of the original was pretty weak, not to mention its horrid speed. I do like it, though, and more than the King Crab.

They should also add cool heavy and assault quadrupeds, although I doubt they wil. Since there's no punching in this game, I don't see why bnot. Still, I can imagine that being difficult to implement, given so many other easier designs to deal with.

To be honest, since this is a f2p game, there's no telling (or limit to) the number of 'mechs that will be available in the future, which is a really great thing. IMHO, they should not make Mechs based only on what is already available (tonnage, hardpoints, etc.), but more based on current era and faction availability. We all have favorite Mechs, and it would be cool to see them represented along the road ahead.

Edited by Star Ace, 13 August 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#38 Gabriel Amarell

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Variety, I love variety. I want Quads, Reverse joint mechs and humanoid mechs. The proponderane of classic designs were humanoid and all though the concept artists did their best to differentiate the designs there are only so many possible variations with the basic humanoid design. When I look at the King Crab I see a mech with a relatively large torso (lots of space for a reactor weapons heatsinks ect. with a relatively small front profile. Its a big chassis that presents a small surface area to shoot at, a 100 tonner that does not have billboard sides which would let you concentrate armor over a smaller area. This design would be hard to hit for a mech its size and if you do hit it the front armor would be very thick and hard to penetrate.

It would be a design that would have to be attacked from above, or behind. Is the crab slow, well yes, its an assault mech, but its supposed to be nimble, in otherwords, its supposed to turn well for an assault. Is its ammo supply is very limited, yes, its not intended to be a raider, its a defender intended to be close to supply lines and part of a lance supported by longer range mechs. Tactics, other mechs are the anvil, the Crab is the hammer. I would also re-interate that if you do not want dual AC-20's they can be changed to whatever other ballistic weapons you perfer. The pancake body is intended to present minimal font profile the same way modern tanks are designed. As for the rediculous pincers... Battletech always incorporated melee combat they were simplified cowlings intended to cover the Barrels so that when the ammo ran out this thing could become a brawler.

Its an unorhodox design that had a purpose and the concept is sound. I for one would love to see the art team at Piranha tackle the King Crab, they could rework details while keeping the basic asthetic. This could be an assault that doesnt have billboard sides giving it a bit of survivability. Dont judge a design on its asthetic, judge it on its merit. Assuming that the weapons are well ballanced this could be a very viable platform.

#39 Sheogoraath

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

yes. yesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

King Crab!

I don't really have anything constructive to add, I just love this 'mech, and its little brother the regular Crab.

#40 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I would love to see it love the whole look of the KC.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users