Gaming Laptop Suggestions?

106 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,811 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

for $1500 you could build a pretty decent desktop rig. laptops are usually half the performance at twice the cost.

with some of the mini itx cases our there you could easily stick a full blown rig into a box that you can shove in a backpack and take to lanparties. im kind of an sff enthusiast. bring back the luggable!

#22 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

Wow, so much hostility/attitude from The6thmessenger when people are just trying to help. If you don't want advice, then don't ask on a forum, just google AMD laptops and buy one for ***** sake.

#23 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 March 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

Wow, so much hostility/attitude from The6thmessenger when people are just trying to help.

Hostility? Don't be too sensitive. All i did pointed out is that, I prefer AMD and a laptop.

As for Hardcase's response. Why would it be automatically a "misconception"? I cannot just prefer AMD? If people like you don't want hostility or attitude, maybe don't bring them in the first place.

If you don't want advice, then don't ask on a forum, just google AMD laptops and buy one for ***** sake.

Imagine asking help for making chocolate-chip cookies, and people just came to you with recipe of a brownie.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 14 March 2019 - 11:06 PM.

#24 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:14 PM

Except thats a bad analogy.

We aren't comparing flavors, which are subjective.

We are comparing performance per dollar, which isn't nearly as refutable. You asked for good advice, but don't actually want any and have already made up your mind.

I can understand why you want a laptop, but your reasoning for picking AMD over Intel/Nvidia is just stupid.

#25 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 March 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

We are comparing performance per dollar, which isn't nearly as refutable. You asked for good advice, but don't actually want any and have already made up your mind.

I am looking for said criterion as well aside from performance-per-dollar. Why is that hard to understand?

I'm looking for an AMD laptop under a price, why give desktop builds? Those aren't helpful to what I am asking. And if I decline, why demonize me?

I didn't come to the forum looking for a fight, why would people like you make it a fight?

No, it is a good analogy. You just won't accept it, simple as that.

I can understand why you want a laptop, but your reasoning for picking AMD over Intel/Nvidia is just stupid.

Yes. Because any opinion that disagrees with you is stupid.

#26 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 11:57 PM, said:

I am looking for said criterion as well aside from performance-per-dollar. Why is that hard to understand?

Its been pointed out several times, your criteria is dumb. I only responded like once, to inform you the nvidia was a better buy and anything you do buy is probably made by lenovo anyways.

Edited by Prototelis, 15 March 2019 - 12:18 AM.

#27 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

Its been pointed out several times, your criteria is dumb.

Doesn't matter. That's the topic, that's my criteria. If it doesn't fit, it's not a helpful suggestion.

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

I only responded like once, to inform you the nvidia was a better buy and anything you do buy is probably made by lenovo anyways.

Meanwhile you're wedging yourself between Vxheous and I, but now you're retreating to what you originally said.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 March 2019 - 12:30 AM.

#28 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 March 2019 - 12:26 AM, said:

Doesn't matter. That's the topic, that's my criteria. If it doesn't fit, it's not a helpful suggestion.

Why ask for suggestions when you've already made up your mind?

Meanwhile you're wedging yourself between Vxheous and I, but now you're retreating to what you originally said.

Wut?

#29 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:56 AM

I've previously owned a gaming laptop from https://www.mysn.de/

I was happy with it, though I have since then switched over to a cheaper gaming desktop + a ThinkPad for work and travel.

Unfortunately, I don't think they sell any laptops with AMD GPU's. One that fits that criteria might be extremely hard to find.

#30 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

Why ask for suggestions when you've already made up your mind?

Because I don't have a specific laptop in mind, I only have criteria I want to meet. Is that really hard to understand? Are you purposefully acting dumb?

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

Wut?

You do realize that response was for Vxheous. So why are you responding to it again?

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Wow, so much hostility/attitude from The6thmessenger when people are just trying to help.

Hostility? Don't be too sensitive. All i did pointed out is that, I prefer AMD and a laptop.

As for Hardcase's response. Why would it be automatically a "misconception"? I cannot just prefer AMD? If people like you don't want hostility or attitude, maybe don't bring them in the first place.

If you don't want advice, then don't ask on a forum, just google AMD laptops and buy one for ***** sake.

Imagine asking help for making chocolate-chip cookies, and people just came to you with recipe of a brownie.

View PostGagis, on 15 March 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

I've previously owned a gaming laptop from https://www.mysn.de/

I was happy with it, though I have since then switched over to a cheaper gaming desktop + a ThinkPad for work and travel.

Unfortunately, I don't think they sell any laptops with AMD GPU's. One that fits that criteria might be extremely hard to find.

**** man, already more helpful.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 March 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#31 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:04 AM

Uhmm yes. It was a bad analogy. This isn't a flavor comparison.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 March 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

Because I don't have a specific laptop in mind, I only have criteria I want to meet. Is that really hard to understand? Are you purposefully acting dumb?

Your "criteria" doesn't leave a lot to choose dude. jesus.

Edited by Prototelis, 15 March 2019 - 01:05 AM.

#32 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:10 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

Uhmm yes. It was a bad analogy. This isn't a flavor comparison.

No it's not. You just won't accept it.

Also, I'll take that as you are wedging yourself between Vxheous and I.

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

Your "criteria" doesn't leave a lot to choose dude. jesus.

So, did i "made my mind" or what? Is that enough reason for me to ask or what?

If you have nothing helpful to add. You can get out.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 March 2019 - 01:11 AM.

#33 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:45 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 March 2019 - 01:10 AM, said:

No it's not. You just won't accept it.

If you'll stop raging for a second and read;

Your analogy compares two things that are subjective. The comparison between the AMD and Nvidia mGPUs is objective, one is better than the other and it has nothing to do with anyone's opinion.

I agree that the people suggesting desktops are being tools.

None of the people suggesting Nvidia/Intel laptops are doing so to troll. Whether you choose to believe it or not, no one in this community is that salty.

A non-lenovo (market share majority holder) amd gpu laptop does not leave you a considerable amount of options. There isn't much in the way anyone can suggest. Which is why peeps are very helpfully trying to steer you in a direction that will net you good performance in this and other games for the budget you have.

Edited by Prototelis, 15 March 2019 - 01:45 AM.

#34 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:57 AM

If you can't afford a desktop gaming machine then a laptop isn't going to be any better - keep saving!

#35 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:22 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 15 March 2019 - 01:45 AM, said:

If you'll stop raging for a second and read;

Your analogy compares two things that are subjective. The comparison between the AMD and Nvidia mGPUs is objective, one is better than the other and it has nothing to do with anyone's opinion.

The fact that you think the analogy is supposed to compare the two just shows that you don't even understand.

No, you stop, and consider what I am saying.

It's you people that are comparing AMD to Nvidea, I wasn't -- I already chose AMD, just as I chose to make Chocolate Chip cookies. I didn't chose Chocolate Chips because it was better, I chose it because it's what I want. Main reason why I was asking for the "recipe of Chocolate Chip", not "which is better, Chocolate Chip or Brownie?".

The question ISNT "which of the graphics card is better?" -- not at all, that is not the point of the analogy you obviously missed. Chocolate Chip or Brownies, or in this case, AMD vs Nvidea, I ALREADY chose Chocolate Chip - AMD. Is that really a hard to understand? Now the point of suggestion is to compare laptops with AMD gpus between another -- the question is literally "which among these laptops with AMD GPU and non-Lenovo is the best".

End of story.

I respect everyone's preference in building rigs, and I recognize that you people just wanted to help, I do I really do, but it's not exactly what I want for myself. Telling me to build a desktop instead isn't what I am looking for. At this point, Google helped me better: "ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC Ryzen".

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 March 2019 - 04:57 AM.

#36 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:43 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 March 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

The fact that you think the analogy is supposed to compare the two just shows that you don't even understand.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you. Use your money how you want.

But please look up what an analogy is and the difference between subjective and objective.

#37 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,811 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:49 AM

the thing i really dont like is their longevity, or rather lack of it. last lappy i had went tango uniform a week after the 2-year warranty ran out. and when that happens they are a nightmare to repair. meanwhile i kept my last desktop rig in good working order for 5+ years. they costed about the same.

biggest thing is i really dont use the mobility they offer. i hate lugging around expensive computers everywhere and i don't like to use technology in public. but thats just personal preference.

#38 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

Wow, so much hostility/attitude from The6thmessenger when people are just trying to help. If you don't want advice, then don't ask on a forum, just google AMD laptops and buy one for ***** sake.

He's just trolling for the right of reply and thus - post count.

Nothing said here make any logical sense. Such is the way of the Sea.

#39 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:53 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 March 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Here, I'll throw you a bone, took all of 2 minutes to look up on newegg.com: https://www.newegg.c...5-075-_-Product

ASUS AMD Gaming laptop Ryzen 1700 with Radeon RX 580, 17.3in 1920x1080 120hz freesync 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, on sale at $1199 USD, not acer, not lenovo, knock yourself out. Probably get 40-60fps out of it, but the laptop Ryzen 1700 is clocked at 3.0Ghz but boosts to 3.7Ghz so maybe/maybe not, at least there's freesync so it'll still look smooth. As a comparison, my current laptop that I play MWO on sometimes is an Intel i7 8750h that clocks in at 4.1 Ghz boost with a GTX 1070, and I still get frame drops to low 50's, and my laptop specs are far better than the AMD one, but that's what you want, so there it is.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 March 2019 - 05:53 AM, said:

He's just trolling for the right of reply and thus - post count.

Nothing said here make any logical sense. Such is the way of the Sea.

Yeah, makes sense. Since I've found him everything he's looking for, he shouldn't need to post anymore.

Edit: I see that his last post, he actually googled AMD Gaming laptop as I suggested, and found the same one I found.

Edited by Vxheous, 15 March 2019 - 07:10 AM.

#40 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:04 AM

When a 2min search on NewEgg...

Honestly...

Some people need to go outside more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users